• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(101730)

Banned
7 Badges
May 20, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Semper Fi
I just tested my (1.5 years old) little Clausewitz engine map checker, and it seems to work with CK2 definition.csv file just fine. Added a few more exception handling routines for the "1021;;85;39;131;;x" line (which is obviously broken) and the ";50;14;248;x;x" line (which has the same colours as a previous one), since they are ignored by the engine as well.

Current functionality is simple: The tool opens the definitions.csv (File -> Open...) and the map image, displays the image on the right size (you can zoom with the mouse wheel and drag it around with the left mouse button down) and any pixels with unknown values on the left (you can click on the line to scroll to the wrong pixel on the map). Totally broken definitions.csv should refuse to load in the first place.

Right-clicking on a province displays its info or history (depending on the tab chosen) on the left side; picking a province from the drop-down menu on the upper left side does the same, and also tries to centre on the province.

Download link: [Clausewitz Map Checker] [source code]

Requires .NET framework 2.0 or higher

Last edited:
Oh, gee, thanks ! I lost 6 hours yesterday trying to figure out what the problem(s?) was with my provinces.bmp map ...

Oh ... well, as it appears my map has no errors but it still doesn't works ... I guess there is a problem somewhere else.

Oh ... well, as it appears my map has no errors but it still doesn't works ... I guess there is a problem somewhere else.

Does it crash at Loading Graphics? Did you try to use a blank positions.txt?

Might well be a missing history or something like that. Right now, the tool just checks if the provinces are all defined (to guard against stray pixels of different colour and similar mistakes), the next version - somewhere this week - will also write errors if non-sea provinces are missing history and be able to display (and eventually edit) the history file right there.

The game runs fine with provinces with no history (they'll be wastelands) and it doesn't even matter if they are in landed_titles or not.
Stray pixels also have no problem, nor missing/new provinces with a new rgb, the game will load fine and ingame they'll appear as ANY/ALL.

On the other hand a bad positions.txt can make it crash.

Does it crash at Loading Graphics? Did you try to use a blank positions.txt?

Actually it loads just fine, I got a blank positions file of course. I checked eventual false positive by adding stray pixels and they are detected so the map is not the probem source to me.

The problem is that when I load the game, the map appears to have no provinces (like if everything is wastelands) but with impassable moutains displayed (so the provinces.bmp map is loaded) BUT the borders are switched a few dozens of pixels right (therefore the map files doesn't fit ...) and I got a narrow vertical band of siberia/steppes/india/indian ocean displayed on the left side of the map ...

Actually it loads just fine, I got a blank positions file of course. I checked eventual false positive by adding stray pixels and they are detected so the map is not the probem source to me.

The problem is that when I load the game, the map appears to have no provinces (like if everything is wastelands) but with impassable moutains displayed (so the provinces.bmp map is loaded) BUT the borders are switched a few dozens of pixels right (therefore the map files doesn't fit ...) and I got a narrow vertical band of siberia/steppes/india/indian ocean displayed on the left side of the map ...

If you give me your files I can look at it.

This utility is really handy for looking up provinces, numbers, and area (dear god, area is the best damn feature). The only thing that's missing is a positions.txt nudge tool so you don't have to load the game.

If you give me your files I can look at it.

I got it ... as always, it was SOOO stupid ... I'm using Gimp (2.8rc1) to mod my maps and when I'm saving under the Bitmap (24bits) format the ONLY advanced option has to be ticked : "do not write the depth of color" or something like this (I use it in french) ... That's the reason why it was shifting my map ...

It crashes whenever I try to open it. I had no problems with the previous version.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows library incompatibilities. :) Which version of Windows do you use?

EDIT: No, wait, that's just me being stupid. It needs an additional DLL for the text editor window, and I forgot to include it. Link fixed; the executable and the DLL need to be unpacked into the same directory and ran from there.

New version is wonderful. Any chance of getting a positions editor in the next version, though? The one for EU3 doesn't transfer over very well. And it's written in Java. I'd rather use something not as crashy.

New version is wonderful. Any chance of getting a positions editor in the next version, though? The one for EU3 doesn't transfer over very well. And it's written in Java. I'd rather use something not as crashy.

Working on it, though with "Nudge" being available right in the game, the need for province-by-province positions editor is rather low. I'll certainly do positions validation, though.

Great works (again) and I'm definitely going to need something more : the possibility to modify the provinces/countries files from your program. If not within your program something like a button to open the required text file in the default text editor (like the validator prog. does).

About the positions editor, there is an updated version of the positions editor for EU3 and the creator of the mod mentioned it should be compatible with all the current Clausewitz games but I didn't try it out for now.

A suggestion: currently the program crashes if there are no province history. For a map modder like me, sometimes we have not the province history files yet made, so we have to create placeholders.
Would it be possible that the program says something as "province history not found for X provinces", then work normal for the map-only files?