• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(66950)

First Lieutenant
Feb 4, 2007
We have had many months of beta patches that not everybody is able to install. It is time to complete the patch. I know Divine Wind is coming up, but that is no excuse.

I accept the fact that Paradox games are often released at a stage where future patching is required. But I have expected that Paradox will eventually get around to doing the necessary patching. Paradox has usually done so in the past, and needs to complete the HTTT patch.

Well i dont mind. I'm so happy with how divine wind is shaping up that I will just upgrade my httt to divine wind. So there is really no need for them to finish the beta patch.

Well i dont mind. I'm so happy with how divine wind is shaping up that I will just upgrade my httt to divine wind. So there is really no need for them to finish the beta patch.

Sorry but *I* would like to have a playable final version for a game that *I paid* for.

The final version has been available in the forums for 6 months.

And this, folks, is Paradox's half-brilliant anti-piracy policy.

They leave patches in a beta stage until the next expansion comes out (3.2 being in beta for over a year ring any bells?), which means they can only be accessed on the forum by people with registered games!

And it's only half-brilliant because it can still be beat by pro-pirate people who buy the game and then host the patch elsewhere for download. But an unbeatable system is impossible.

Edit: And if you can't properly install the beta-patch, that's a problem on your end, not a problem with it being a beta-patch.

Guys you got me wrong (my fault probably), I never said it was unplayable, and it's heaps and bounds better than 4.0. The problem is, many people never check the forum for beta patches, even when you tell them so. Also the guys who have the Mac version don't have a patch because the company who ported the game won't touch beta patches.

The final version has been available in the forums for 6 months.

Johan, look, I don't want to get anything bad between us, you've done lots for the community, and I know that I'm a nobody, but what you just said is delusional at best (I really am making an effort not to insult you in any way), you don't call a patch "final version" 6 months after calling it a Beta, making it available only inside the sub-forum "Tech Support", in a thread called "4.1 Beta - 29th of April 2010" and with that version crashing on exit every single time!

Do new users get this "final" version installed by default when they buy it from Steam or Gamersgate or etc.?

We're not stupid, there is no final version. Yes, the last version has been available in the forums for 6 months. But you typed "final". But it's unfinished. And that's a really big shame. HTTT 4.1b was nearly there, better than IN3.2 ever was.

...you don't call a patch "final version" 6 months after calling it a Beta, making it available only inside the sub-forum "Tech Support", in a thread called "4.1 Beta - 29th of April 2010" and with that version crashing on exit every single time!...Do new users get this "final" version installed by default when they buy it from Steam or Gamersgate or etc.?...We're not stupid, there is no final version. Yes, the last version has been available in the forums for 6 months. But you typed "final". But it's unfinished. And that's a really big shame. HTTT 4.1b was nearly there, better than IN3.2 ever was.
Hear! Hear!

Along with many other people, I've finally given up and stopped buying Paradox games until they're done or close to it. Problem is...they never seem to get finished these days.

I pop into the forums, from time to time, to see if there is a finished version of EU3, or Rome, or CK, or whatever WWII platform is in vogue. And I'm continually disappointed.

Maybe the latest HttT beta patch is good enough, but there seems to be less than universal consensus regarding that. And I thought I saw a hotfix for its minor bugs that also needed to be installed? But if it's a final product, call it such! Make it available as such! If this IS an anti-piracy measure, I'd be stunned if it's cost-beneficial. I'm sure any gains on the piracy front are more than offset by legitimate users who become disenchanted and just aren't willing to go hunting for updates, and/or don't feel like being playtesters. So they move on. There are many other gaming options out there for people.

Which is a shame, because, I think your games are generally so full of potential. And I think they could appeal more to the casual gamer, if they were just a bit more polished. Maybe you have a large enough installed base of fans, who can be relied upon to be repeat buyers for a seemingly endless series of updates. But every casual gamer I know, many of whom bought EU1, EU2, and HOI, won't touch Paradox games now, for months or years after its release, if at all. Word of mouth advertising used to work to Paradox' advantage; now it works against Paradox.

And this, folks, is Paradox's half-brilliant anti-piracy policy.
Edit: And if you can't properly install the beta-patch, that's a problem on your end, not a problem with it being a beta-patch.

As with every anti-piracy measure, what Paradox is doing is really just hurting paying customers.
I can't install the patch: I use the Mac version. Mac ports used to be released six month after the windows versions and that sucked enough, but now, thanks to this anti-piracy policy, we have to wait forever...

As with every anti-piracy measure, what Paradox is doing is really just hurting paying customers.
I can't install the patch: I use the Mac version. Mac ports used to be released six month after the windows versions and that sucked enough, but now, thanks to this anti-piracy policy, we have to wait forever...

Just use wine dude, then you won't have to use the ports. ;)

So they move on. There are many other gaming options out there for people.

Please enlighten me: Which are the many onther gaming options for Paradox players? :confused:

I had forgotten about the exit crash.. will have to look into it someday soon.

Its not any sort of "anti-piracy" scheme for putting out beta-patches. We've been doing that for ages just to give you guys extra stuff quickly for free.

I need to see how many here never use beta patches, and how many that does..