• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The terrain displays are blockers. The ones with a two on it mean that they are blocking two deposits (e.g. a mining deposit and an energy deposit). If you count the number of hashed-out resource extraction districts, it equals the number of tile blocker images (if you count the 2 ones for 2).

I count 8 blocked districts on the roboplanet, but 9 normal and one (2) terrain tiles..

Special deposits
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1022878075229556736
Under the new planet management system, there will be more special deposits to be found on colonizable worlds. You definitely do not want to miss out on a planet that supports crystal mines!
DjH99fGX0AAc7Fg.jpg

I count 5 blocked mineral districts and 3 blocked energy districts. The food districts are too covered by the overlay to see, but it's reasonable to think there are 3 there.

Well spotted, I also count 3 food boxes there now..

I wonder if overpopulation is going to be a problem, and if so, how you as a player can counter it. The current system of pops growing until there is no more space is a bit too gamey and simple for my taste. It also blocks any fluent migration to happen, since all planets in the galaxy will be at pop cap eventually.

Last edited:
I am super hyped about this new update and I love that the devs are reworking the tile and population systems, but I'm still iffy about two little things:

I don't know what to think about the building slots. I never really liked how you have to keep going back to each starbase multiple times just because some prerequisite was finally done or a new slot was unlocked and now you have to queue up new contructions. I think it would be a lot less annoying if we could at least queue up everything from the start even if prerequisite are not met or slots are locked. Bonus points if you could save and load building presets so you could queue up all the buildings you want to end up with on a planet with just a single click. Without this I can see this possibly ending up like "ok, my ten planets all just reached a new infrastructure level, now I have to go click on every one of them and tell them to queue up a new science building".

I don't really like to see that you apparently queue up the contruction of a district by clicking on their pictures. I mean this is probably still less clicks than in the tile system, but still more than I would like. I would have prefered some sliders that let me quickly set the target ratio between district types for a planet and then have the planet naturally grow into that target direction over time without needing for me to get back to it and click on pictures. Bonus points if you could have saved slider/ratio positions into a little drop down menu that would let you easily assign prefered ratios/focuses to planets quickly.

Anyone else feel like this?
Yup I agree with both of these.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1022878075229556736
Under the new planet management system, there will be more special deposits to be found on colonizable worlds. You definitely do not want to miss out on a planet that supports crystal mines!
DjH99fGX0AAc7Fg.jpg

I'd be really curious to see if tile blockers can be both positive and negative eg. a mountain range that gives a bonus to mineral production, but would need to be removed to provide more room for housing or other districts / buildings.

I'd be really curious to see if tile blockers can be both positive and negative eg. a mountain range that gives a bonus to mineral production, but would need to be removed to provide more room for housing or other districts / buildings.

That will probably be the case, since Wiz himself already mentioned a general tradeoff between heavily populated worlds and resource producing ones. As of now, there is no strategy involved at all when it comes to population growth; you always want to fill your pop cap as fast as possible, so this is an interesting idea.

How will the colonialisation work because I don't see the option?

They probably just removed the button from the UI, since it was mostly redundant anyway. I never ever colonized a planet using the button in the planet view, I always did it the manual way by ordering the colony ship to the planet. There also is the option to colonize via the expansion planner, so its probably just a measure to declutter the planetary interface.

i wonder if overpopulation is going to be a problem, and if so, how you as a player can counter it. The current system of pops growing until there is no more space is a bit too gamey and simple for my taste. It also blocks any fluent migration to happen, since all planets in the galaxy will be at pop cap eventually.

The following is from Wiz on Reddit:

"Planets do not automatically become densely populated. It depends on how you develop them. Overcrowding can be an issue though."

Can you even restructure a cityworld back to a raw ressource producer?

"You can, but expect overcrowding, emigration and unrest."

The following is from Wiz on Reddit:

"Planets do not automatically become densely populated. It depends on how you develop them. Overcrowding can be an issue though."

Can you even restructure a cityworld back to a raw ressource producer?

"You can, but expect overcrowding, emigration and unrest."

That sounds awesome!

On Ringworlds two things stand out to me. The first is that talking about timescales of how long they would take to build is probably not applicable. This is a game in which you can build a galaxy spanning empire in about a century. Where you can fill a fresh planet with people in a decade or two just from 'pop growth'. The timescales are... not to scale. Secondly, Stellaris isn't hard sci-fi and so it doesn't need to be realistic, just internally consistent.

I am definitely not advocating for realism. Just saying it might be a good idea for ringworlds to be a specific goal for non-expansive empires instead of an "extra" for all. Kind of to give it more importance for your overall strategy if that strategy leaves you will limited room to expand.

Last edited:
I am definitely not advocating for realism. Just saying it might be a good idea for ringworlds to be a specific goal for non-expansive empires instead of an "extra" for all. Kind of to give it more importance for your overall strategy if that strategy leaves you will limited room to expand.

I like it. Would be a step to counter the 'win more' character they currently have.

How easy do you think it will be to change a district, from say Agro to City or visa versa? Personally I think it should be rather tough, in needing a lot of time or resources. Making each choice actually meaningful when developing a planet. Yet still letting you "fix" what an enemy AI have done, even if slowly and at a large cost.

They could even make climate restoration more important here, with a modifier on a planet if it gets bombarded. That would tick down but take a real long time. With Climate restoration you could return it to its original pristine self.

They probably just removed the button from the UI, since it was mostly redundant anyway. I never ever colonized a planet using the button in the planet view, I always did it the manual way by ordering the colony ship to the planet. There also is the option to colonize via the expansion planner, so its probably just a measure to declutter the planetary interface.
I do something like 99% of my colonizing using that button, I'd be slightly annoyed if it was removed.