• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's also obvious as f that any universe would inevitably have key, important, famous individuals as those will inevitably exist at any scale. Look at world history -- we've gone from millions to billions, but we still have key individuals ("heroes") viewed as shaping the world and their era.

More to the point, you're overlooking the potential for a meaningful private sector and underworld. There is no sense of a living universe in this game. It's just a bunch of monolithic empires slamming doomstacks into each other and mining planets. Of course, I'm getting the sense you guys are more asocial number-crunching gamer types than "emergent story" fans, so you're kind of a new market for Paradox and not the ones who have traditionally played games like Crusader Kings and Victoria.

The lack of a private sector is a valid criticism, and me and many others in this forum have written in great detail about how we would like to see expanded diplomatic features, a bigger role for political factions, and things such as galaxy-wide ideological conflicts and civil wars. But that would still be a macro perspective on history, focused on grand historical processes, not on individuals, and certainly not featuring any clandestine visits to seedy space bars or the hiring of legendary assassins with jetpacks.

As far as emergent story goes, I must most strongly disagree with you that it is lacking in Stellaris. This game has provided some of the best emergent stories I have ever had, which is why I still play it. They are a different kind of story, more like national epics (and in that sense very similar to those from Victoria), than the kind of personal story you would get from CKII. Just because a nation/people are the main protagonists of a story doesn't make it less valid as a story.

Stay a while and listen, and I could tell you about the decadent slaver species that had to genetically engineer greater tolerance into itself and abandon slave-holding or face the wrath of a powerful and "tolerant" fallen empire, or of the strict isolationists who ended up ruling the galaxy because nobody would leave them alone, or of the feudal space realm that vassalized one empire too many and lost everything in a subsequent uprising. Just in my most recent game I had democratic liberators go full empire after the ruler became the immortal psionic Chosen One, and then in their hubris they accidentally the entire galaxy by opening up the L-Gate earlier than anyone was ready for and unleashing something terrible that scoured the galaxy of almost all life, leaving only the old fallen empires intact. If those aren't stories, I don't know what are.

"Today marks the return of cryptic @StellarisGame teaser screenshots, posted every Thursday up until the return of feature dev diaries on August 9th. As before, I will provide these without context or explanation. Here's a first glimpse at what the future holds."

DhV3hJKXcAABeAC.jpg

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1014849498437349376
"Earth? Never heard of it." - Iribot Combat Drone

Ecumenopolis?
102 billion people?
Dominant species info implying that planetary economic characteristics are consolidated under the traits of a single pop type rather than the schizo micro hell of tile-by-tile placement?

Yeah, this looks breddy 10/10
If they did stay with the whole "job" System they once teased, then different species could be more qualified for some jobs.
I doubt multispecies planets will ever truly go away.

I hope for new gameplay elements with the new planet system. Something like overpopulation or resource depletion on planets. Something to motivate you to constantly search for new planets to colonize, not just to maximize your income, but to assure that your income doesn't shrink over time, or to secure the well being of your pops

My concern with an overpopulation or resource depleation mechanic is something you bring up: "Constantly search for new planets to colonize... to assure that your income doesn't shrink over time."

Any mechanic like this would either be powerful enough to force constant expansion and warfare in a constant attempt to keep up with military costs to prevent your empire from being overrun, or not be powerful enough to matter at all.
Overpupulation penalties would only be a race to increase living space. Or a buff for everyone that can limit reproduction.

While resource exhaustion would end up being a massive driver for perpetual warfare. The Zuul from both SotS games and various factions in the Endless Series of games have such mechanics. For stellaris it would have to be a civic of some sort.
The end result thus far always was that the AI failed at properly expanding, resulting in that faction being stunted. And/or that AI's space being a huge liabiltiy after being conquered.

The fact that the only AI with positive food income is the robots is a nice touch. A reminder that no matter how much some things change in Stellaris, others will stay the same.
Look again. The two non-machine factions below those also have positive food. Still below +100, but positive.

Look again. The two non-machine factions below those also have positive food. Still below +100, but positive.

I'm working off the assumption that the Empires with the bright pink "AI" are AI controlled empires, and the ones with the bright pink "H" are humans. Every empire with positive food has either an H, or is that singular AI playing a machine empire.

Cool, I wonder if all strategic resources are reworked into being stockpiled. And if the number of resources are reduced (not for example seeing the l cluster ones in that picture) of cource it could just be that undiscovered resources doesnt show up.

Also gonna put forth the guess that the ring repressents refined minerals of some sort, that has been a fairly requested feature after all. And guessing is fun.

Oh now that is very interesting...

I think we might be seeing the first reveal of a system in which raw minerals must be processed into discrete quantities of consumer goods, war materials, etc.

Also that other tab at the bottom absolutely says "Slave Market".

And if the number of resources are reduced (not for example seeing the l cluster ones in that picture) of cource it could just be that undiscovered resources doesnt show up.
Maybe they are so rare that only their finder can trade they direct with other empires.

Also gonna put forth the guess that the ring repressents refined minerals of some sort, that has been a fairly requested feature after all. And guessing is fun.
These bricks in second row don't look like any particular ore we have right now. I'd guess they represent refined minerals and ring - consumer goods/rare minerals. And then there is also new red thingie icon.

P.s. I now wonder if empires with livestock are forbidden from selling food to globabl market. Amusing if not.

Cool, I wonder if all strategic resources are reworked into being stockpiled. And if the number of resources are reduced (not for example seeing the l cluster ones in that picture) of cource it could just be that undiscovered resources doesnt show up.
This is just a guess but they, maybe, aiming for system like in Civilization, or rather Galactic Civilization, where each deposit of strategic resource provide a steady income of it each "tick". and you can actually use some static amount of it to build unique\empowered version of building and other stuff.

These bricks in second row don't look like any particular ore we have right now. I'd guess they represent refined minerals and ring - consumer goods/rare minerals. And then there is also new red thingie icon.

P.s. I now wonder if empires with livestock are forbidden from selling food to globabl market. Amusing if not.
Would that kind of Embargo not be the job of the Space NATO?
Even if it does not come in the same update, this one would at least lay the groundwork.

Of course there is also a pretty high Market Fee of 30%. Pretty sure not even in Age of Empries 2 was the penalty that big.

This is just a guess but they, maybe, aiming for system like in Civilization, or rather Galactic Civilization, where each deposit of strategic resource provide a steady income of it each "tick". and you can actually use some static amount of it to build unique\empowered version of building and other stuff.
While it is possible, the "convert raw to finished" is something that is typically Paradox. Particular Hearts of Irons has several materials (Infantery Weapons, Support Gear) that are used to buy stuff like units or Division addons.

Would that kind of Embargo not be the job of the Space NATO?
I honestly don't think they'll bother with special mechanic for one of minor features in one of half a dozen of DLCs. I wouldn't on their place. But the idea of accidentally buying your grandma, whose planet was captured not so long ago, is disturbing nonetheless.
Of course there is also a pretty high Market Fee of 30%. Pretty sure not even in Age of Empries 2 was the penalty that big.
The way it looks, it's probably not set in stone. I'd bet some techs, civics or friendly trade enclaves could lower it.

Last edited:
New resources are nice provided they have active use.

No, no no no no no NO.

There's already no conflict-generation over key systems in Stellaris. All solar systems are fungible because there's nothing (good) you can get in System A that you can't get in System B, and so why bother going to war over System A?

Making geostrategy even less important with a "Don't have Neutronium? Don't worry man, just buy it from the market!" is exactly the WRONG direction to take because it makes territorial control of even the weaksauce strat resources we have now nigh-worthless.

My warnings have gone unheeded

Wait, didn't they remove exchanging minerals to energy in 2.0 because people were just ignoring energy and focusimg on minerals? Now it looks like they are putting it back in.

What about the traders we have from the levithians DLC, will the new market replace them?