• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
phobes got two factions because it was impossible to reconcile pacifist phobe and militarist/non-pacifist phobe in a satisfying manner with a single faction (due to how phobe has always been a sort of messy and vague ethic)

pacifist and militarist mesh fairly well with the other ethics with only a single faction, though

phobes got two factions because it was impossible to reconcile pacifist phobe and militarist/non-pacifist phobe in a satisfying manner with a single faction (due to how phobe has always been a sort of messy and vague ethic)

pacifist and militarist mesh fairly well with the other ethics with only a single faction, though
No it's because it wouldn't make sense for xeno minorities in your empire to join the primary species supremacist faction, so xeno xenophobes needed another faction to join, hence isolationist factions. It did also fit xenophobic isolation well to.

I dunno how "bad" the Tau's caste system is on the individual,
For such question, look for One Mind Syndicate Video. It is WH40k Shitty, where you might get streilized or disected for the higher ups to do their job. I think Authoritarian fits them perfect.

For such question, look for One Mind Syndicate Video. It is WH40k Shitty, where you might get streilized or disected for the higher ups to do their job. I think Authoritarian fits them perfect.

you're spreading lies, wait there as a earth cast representative is going to send you to a re education camp so you can remember about the greater good. :D:D:D.

Always liked the TAU, but they're a nice reminder that is no normal life in 40k Universe :p.

he's actually using it as the 'liquid plural' as in an undefined or uncountable or uncategorical bonus.
1. The second time he used it was "a boni", which is clearly not a liquid plural. Just a non-native speaker making a mistake. No biggie :p
2. The first time he used it was "boni to slaves". Authoritarians only have 1 built-in bonus to slaves, unless you're counting "ability to enslave founder species" as a bonus to slaves... I wouldn't, but it's conceivable.
3. I haven't heard it called a "liquid plural" before, just uncountable. Anyway, some nouns have both countable and uncountable plurals, some don't. Not really relevant here though, as my contention was points 1 and 2 above, and bonuses being uncountable (which it isn't) wouldn't help.

You can say fewer liquids or less liquid, depending on what you mean (the second one can have 2 meanings, since liquid can be an adjective). Less fish, fewer fishes.

You can't say less bonuses. You can probably say less bonus, colloquially (I received less bonus for my sale) but "a smaller bonus" would be more established. Even if boni were an English word, it would fall under the same rule as bonuses.

3. I haven't heard it called a "liquid pluraly" before, just uncountable. Anyway, some plurals can be used as both countable and uncountable, some cannot. Not really relevant here though, as my contention was points 1 and 2 above, and bonuses being uncountable (which it isn't) wouldn't help.

I was using quotes to denote, "it's not normally called this".

edit: also i mostly just find your obsession with boni amusing.

has there ever been a militaristic state that was genuinely non-aggressive

Admittedly I'm not as big a history buff as most Paradox fans, so I can't answer that one.

What would you suggest for the militarist faction to focus on?

I dunno, perhaps their own military rather than the destruction of others. I just dislike that I can't play a police'y empire, or one in a state of constant military preparedness. If you're not constantly chipping away at another empire every couple years your faction gets pissy. Just reminds me too much of every 4x out there where you only win by making sure everyone else loses first. Also incredibly hard to have allies as militarist as you're incentivized to rival every empire that dares to touch your borders.

has there ever been a militaristic state that was genuinely non-aggressive

Admittedly I'm not as big a history buff as most Paradox fans, so I can't answer that one.
Switzerland. They are so crazy prepared, they used to build the Demolition charges into the roads and bridges.

Why not? Now it's focused on worker production instead of slaving my own people.
Indeed, that makes it better. Slavery always had the bug that it caused Xenophobe Ethics Attraction. Now I can finally play a stable Fanatic Xenophile/Authoritarian. "We opress everyone equally."

2. The first time he used it was "boni to slaves". Authoritarians only have 1 built-in bonus to slaves, unless you're counting "ability to enslave founder species" as a bonus to slaves... I wouldn't, but it's conceivable.
Technically it is a +10% Food and a +10% Mineral Bonus. So I can totally understand why one would use Plural here.

Switzerland is a good example yes. I could imagine this done by creating a new civic, let's call it Defensive attitude: "We live like peace is going to last for a thousand years, but we're ready for war tommorow" - allows only for non aggresive militarist factions, disables agressive wars (for example) and adds a, let's say, 25% bonus fleetpower to starbases, or something along the lines.
So basically you'd get really strong fleets and a boost to starbases.

Yes, I quoted a dictator, guess which.

Switzerland is a good example yes. I could imagine this done by creating a new civic, let's call it Defensive attitude: "We live like peace is going to last for a thousand years, but we're ready for war tommorow" - allows only for non aggresive militarist factions, disables agressive wars (for example) and adds a, let's say, 25% bonus fleetpower to starbases, or something along the lines.
So basically you'd get really strong fleets and a boost to starbases.

Yes, I quoted a dictator, guess which.
That civic would make sense for non-fanatic pacifists, and being hyper-prepared does not equate militarism. It doesn't add anything for a faction, it does provide the means to field a more powerful military as a pacifist. However in-game you can be fanatic pacifist and still have the most powerful military in the galaxy.

The descriptions of the militarism ethos' lean towards force projection, using might to make others bend to your will. Every other ethos can be pushed by a very aggressive hand, xenophobes are murderers, xenophiles are assimilators, egalitarians are liberators, authoritarians are subjugators, spiritualists and materialists are converters.

Switzerland only recently became non-aggressive though. It's only a late development, and by that time, they couldn't really still be called a "militaristic state". Yes, they had a military heritage but their society and politics were no longer built around militarism.

And you should probably know that saying they remained netural during both world wars is highly controversial among historians. The swiss army was a lot less important than the economical and political reasons. In 1943 the country was even considered as a german puppet state by the UK, both because the Reichbank used Switzerland to store money and because Switzerland sold most of its weapons and ammunitions to the Nazis after 1941. In 1940 the fascist movements in Switzerland grew in strength, numbers and political relevance. They banned the communist party, extend death penalty among other misdeeds. Essentially, Switzerland unofficially allied with nazi Germany, and there was simply no enemy country at their borders once the nazis invaded France - and anyway, it was useless to invade Switzerland. Since their alliance was unformal and unofficial, they weren't bothered after the end of WW2 but Swtizerland responsabilities during and adter the war are still a controversial matter today - especially concerning the works of art stolen by the nazis and stored in Switzerland. Just check the "Bergier commission" which recognizes among other things the responsability of Switzerland in the jewish holocaust, and details the extent of the Swiss cooperation with nazi Germany. And that's how Swtizerland remained "neutral".

The video that is linked here looks uninformed at best, like propaganda at worst - saying that Switzerland was "incredibly prepared", shows a map with places that could be blowed up, and then quickly switch to the modern Swiss military and how Swiss people are "incredibly competent" at using weapons. Of course the country was ready to defend itself in case of invasion. But it doesn't mean that the result would have been different from the nazi invasion of Belgium. At the beginning of the WW2, the swiss army was unprepared and underequipped. Then, in the same time as they armed the Axis military, they built defenses (the "hedgehog tactics") with a lot of artillery. The whole thing was done in 1-2 years. If any neighbour had attacked them in 1940 they would have not found any resistance. And btw, their "incredible preparation" didn't help much against the unlucky bombings...

And btw, in nowadays Switzerland, only far-right movements claim that Switzerland is a highly militarized defensive country. Everyone else is perfectly aware that "neutrality" can mean many things, including "we have the money". They aren't completely unarmed, but they are no match if their neighbours would try to attack it for whatever reason. Their military isn't the reason why they succeed(ed) at remaing "neutral".

Switzerland is much more a materialist, opportunist country than a defensive militarist one. If I had to pick Stellaris ethics for that country during the WW2 it would be fanatic materialist egalitarian. Remember that being neutral doesn't mean being pacifist - but also that not being pacifist doesn't mean being militarist. Yes, Switzerland has an army - doesn't make it a militarist country.

Average Happiness
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1034387593172082689:
"In the 2.2 'Le Guin' update, happiness no longer directly impacts pop productivity, but rather counts towards the Average Happiness of the planet, which affects stability. Under most living standards, the happiness of higher Strata pops counts for more towards this value."

DlrhWvGWsAA_aHy.jpg

DlrhhcqWwAE-4SA.jpg:large

Seems pretty solid design. Stability is apparently the mechanism what makes ruler stratum happiness so important and allows to neglect happiness of slaves and workers.

Under most living standards, the happiness of higher Strata pops counts for more towards this value.
Interesting decision, so authoritarians will have their own happiness build. Why make everyone happy when few happy top dogs do the trick? Still not clear how easy it is to max happiness in new version.
may experience negative events or even a full-scale Revolt
Not sure how it will be interesting or challening considering what we've seen so far. Either every instability is manageable and everyone will do just that, or it will be another whack-a-mole mechanic. Don't see a point in single planet rebellions to be honest.

I’m curious what else happiness does, other than effect stability. If its nothing else, then why is it a seperate value?

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1034387593172082689:
"In the 2.2 'Le Guin' update, happiness no longer directly impacts pop productivity, but rather counts towards the Average Happiness of the planet, which affects stability. Under most living standards, the happiness of higher Strata pops counts for more towards this value."

DlrhWvGWsAA_aHy.jpg

It seems that while happiness of the high class is more important for stability, the unhappiness of the low class will lead to increased crime, which decreases stability...

Seems a bit redundant. It gives authorian effective happiness build which is destinct from egalitarian one. Would slaves benefit from stability? If yes, it's a buff for slavery builds.