• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So with this update/DLC teasing us about being able to change the resource cost and resource type associated with building things; like say using food for building and ship construction. Could we have reason to hope for official support for things like playable (proto)Pethoryian Scourges/Tyranids? In a perfect world, I would love to see regular Gestalt Consciousnesses getting some love with maybe a new civic and unique gameplay mechanic to go along with this idea, but a ship set and resource requirement changes based on that option would be fine.

So with this update/DLC teasing us about being able to change the resource cost and resource type associated with building things; like say using food for building and ship construction. Could we have reason to hope for official support for things like playable (proto)Pethoryian Scourges/Tyranids? In a perfect world, I would love to see regular Gestalt Consciousnesses getting some love with maybe a new civic and unique gameplay mechanic to go along with this idea, but a ship set and resource requirement changes based on that option would be fine.
Yeah, for example a "bio-ships" civic or ascension perk that changes the cost of ships to be food to a large part. Maybe alongside some other unique changes like a boost to HP / regeneration but a debuff for shields / armor (squishy meatshield ships). Bioships could be available to hives (through a civic?) and to bio ascended empires.

I think that the default for hive minds should be a food based economy with bioships for 3 reasons:

1- If bioships for hive minds is a special civic, AI generated hive minds with bioships would be as rare as AI generated rogue servitors, what in my opinion would be bad for the exploration feel and galactic development of the game.

2- Devouring swarms with bioships would have just one civic combination (devouring swarm + bioships) what prejudice their variety for players and make AI generated devouring swarms with bioships extremely rare.

3- Hive minds in Stellaris are already slightly pushed in a bio direction, hiveminds have edicts that cost food, bonus growth speed, can use only livestock slavery and use only biological ascension path, add in the future a food based economy and bioships to be hive minds default look like a natural progression of their concept.

So, I think that a food based economy with bioships should be hive minds default and we should have a special civic that make hives have a normal empire economy with normal ships and some other bonus. So, hive minds empires that use a normal economy and normal ships remain like a option for players and become a rare AI generated spawn.

I think that the default for hive minds should be a food based economy with bioships for 3 reasons:

1- If bioships for hive minds is a special civic, AI generated hive minds with bioships would be as rare as AI generated rogue servitors, what in my opinion would be bad for the exploration feel and galactic development of the game.

2- Devouring swarms with bioships would have just one civic combination (devouring swarm + bioships) what prejudice their variety for players and make AI generated devouring swarms with bioships extremely rare.

3- Hive minds in Stellaris are already slightly pushed in a bio direction, hiveminds have edicts that cost food, bonus growth speed, can use only livestock slavery and use only biological ascension path, add in the future a food based economy and bioships to be hive minds default look like a natural progression of their concept.

So, I think that a food based economy with bioships should be hive minds default and we should have a special civic that make hives have a normal empire economy with normal ships and some other bonus. So, hive minds empires that use a normal economy and normal ships remain like a option for players and become a rare AI generated spawn.

Good points, I agree.

Servants
"In the @StellarisGame Le Guin update, domestic servants have a special Servant job that they will automatically be employed in if there is no other job for them to work. Servants produce amenities (increasing the happiness of free pops) and require almost no housing.
Dkqd5LjXsAANUCl.jpg

Dkqd5lkXcAAbabM.jpg

"

Robotic servants
"Robots can also work as Servants, if they have the Domestic Protocols trait applied through robomodding.
DkqjQ7aXgAAJGyM.jpg
"

"Robots can also work as Servants, if they have the Domestic Protocols trait applied through robomodding.
DkqjQ7aXgAAJGyM.jpg
"
That confirms what I had hoped:
The game clearly prefers Robots for jobs like "Miners". Even assembling a Robot to replace the last Organic Miner.

So they changed the Scale Icon right above Unrest. I wonder why.
maybe they noticed all the folks going "is that Stability? it looks like the same icon used for Stability in EU4, so that's probably it" and realized they needed a change to avoid confusion?

maybe they noticed all the folks going "is that Stability? it looks like the same icon used for Stability in EU4, so that's probably it" and realized they needed a change to avoid confusion?

The old icon was placeholder. It was far too similar to the Egalitarian icon to be final art.

(It is Stability though, that part is correct)

One thing I'd like to see is how they want to take advantage of the new coding. Yes, they gave examples on how it might be used, but is not currently planned.

Those ideas on how ships/armies could cost food or resource of your choice sounds great. I'd even like to see those implemented in game. Perhaps through a civic or tech. Trade off of using food for ship upkeep could be a weakness to certain weapon types. -- Armies, it could be implemented with tech, I see slave armies that only require food. (It'd actually make slave armies useful even late game, if you are on a budget)

"In the @StellarisGame Le Guin update, domestic servants have a special Servant job that they will automatically be employed in if there is no other job for them to work. Servants produce amenities (increasing the happiness of free pops) and require almost no housing.
Dkqd5LjXsAANUCl.jpg

Dkqd5lkXcAAbabM.jpg

"

Entertainers, huh? Twi'lek dancing girls confirmed.

I don't really understand domestic servants. I mean they are slaves so they reduce the average happiness on the planet, but they work as servants so they also increase the happiness. Does the servant happiness bonus outweigh the slave happiness penalty or does the planetary average happiness maybe ignore slaves? I'm interested to know more about how the new happiness system works.

Entertainers, huh? Twi'lek dancing girls confirmed.
Pretty sure modders are gonna have a field day with that.

I don't really understand domestic servants. I mean they are slaves so they reduce the average happiness on the planet, but they work as servants so they also increase the happiness. Does the servant happiness bonus outweigh the slave happiness penalty or does the planetary average happiness maybe ignore slaves?
I bet it's a balancing act, or a dance.

I'm interested to know more about how the new happiness system works.
Oh yes, looking forward to that!