• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Development Diary #13: Cinematic Camera & Photo Mode

Hey everyone! We’re back with another installment of our development diary series. In this one, we will go over a feature that will help you capture the most memorable moments from your city! The Cinematic and Free Camera modes are completely different from what you are familiar with in Cities: Skylines. The difference between them is truly day and night. In Cities: Skylines II, both modes can be accessed by clicking the Photo Mode button located in the bottom-right corner of the main UI. From here, you can dive into the world of photo- and cinematography and capture your city in all of its glory, chaos, or spaghetti road madness with your friends or other players alike!

The power of these tools is really conveyed by the fact the in-game trailer was filmed using the built-in Cinematic Camera feature, and today’s diary is here to help you navigate the options so you too can capture amazing footage of your city! Check out the feature highlights video below or dive straight into the development diary.

SAY CHEESE!
It all starts with a vision, an idea. What kind of moment do you want to capture in your city? With that idea in mind, we wanted to really up the game on the Photo Mode feature and provide the necessary tools for you to take the picture of your dreams. Only your creativity is the limit as can be seen from all the options we have available in the below. We will not go through each individually because of the sheer amount of them, but we have provided in-game tooltips to guide you on how to use them as you explore Photo Mode.

01 Photo mode 1.png

Photo Mode lets you tweak just about anything via the five tabs and many settings

The very first options tab you will discover is the Camera, from which you can change all kinds of settings related to the Camera itself. Examples of these include the Camera Body, Camera Lens, and Aperture Shape, all of which have sub-settings allowing you to tweak things like Camera Collision or Focal Length to get the exact shot you want.

From the Lens tab you can adjust the Depth of Field, Motion Blur, Bloom, Vignette, Film Grain, and Panini Projection settings, all of which can be fine-tuned for your needs. Next, we have Color and as the tab name suggests, you can make all kinds of changes to the color of the screenshot bringing different vibes to it. The options in the color tab include Color Adjustments, White Balance, and Brightness - and you can of course balance their individual settings.

To brew the perfect storm, we have the ability to adjust the Weather. From this tab, you can change the Distance Clouds, Volumetric Clouds, Fog, and Atmosphere. No need to wait for the weather to be perfect with all these controls at your disposal. Similarly, the Environment tab allows you to change the Time of Day and set the simulation speed, which is used with the Cinematic Camera, a feature that we will go over next.

02 Photo mode 2.png

Get the look and feel that’s just right for your city and the pictures you’re taking

LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION!
To move from photography and into cinematography all you have to do is click on the arrows in the Photo Mode panel. This opens the essential tools for the Cinematic Mode which consists of general tools at the top, two graphs allowing you to tweak Camera Position Controls and Camera Properties with a timeline at the bottom. Using these tools you can set up a playback, which can be recorded using any game capture software. Now, let’s briefly go over the different camera options.

03 Cinematic camera.png

Get things moving with the Cinematic Camera tool

At the top of the UI, you find the general tools giving you basic controls of the cinematic camera. “Play” and “Pause” take you through the cinematic you have created, while “Save” lets you keep the setup for another time, and “Reset” gives you a fresh start when needed. By default, the UI is hidden as you play through the setup, but you can also enable it to see where you need to make adjustments. Lastly, the "Segment Duration" -slider enables you to specify the duration of the playback from 1 to 120 seconds.

A playback consists of a set of points, called keys, spaced out through your timeline. Typically, each point has a different camera position and the cinematic comes together as the camera transitions between these points. Each point can also have different Photo Mode properties connected to it, allowing you to, for example, change the time of day or weather during your cinematic.

The first graph is the Camera Transform Controls which control the position and rotation of the camera. The “Capture Key” button on the right will add the camera’s current position and rotation to the controls, which can always be adjusted. The dropdown lets you switch between the two, and properties listed next to the dropdown menu can be selected allowing you to change each of them. As you add additional keys to the timeline with different positions and rotations, you can also adjust the transition between these by selecting a key and adjusting the graph. Lastly, keys can be deleted by selecting them and using the “Delete Key” on the right.

A little further down you find the Photo Mode Panel. Here you can add keys for all the properties we discussed earlier in Photo Mode and create transitions between them. To get started, find the setting you want to add in the panel on the right, and click the “Capture Frame for Cinematic Camera.” This allows you to add new keys in a similar way to the Camera Transform Controls, and the dropdown lets you switch between the settings you have added. You only need to add options you want to transition between, such as the Time of Day or Focal Length. Any Photo Mode settings you have adjusted but not added to the Cinematic Camera are applied to the entire playback.

04 Cinematic camera 2.png

All Photo Mode settings can be used with the Cinematic Camera

We’re very excited to see how you put both the Photo Mode and Cinematic Camera to use when showing off your new cities! We’ve given you a lot of control over the look and feel after seeing the many styles of screenshots and videos you shared of Cities: Skylines. This development diary concludes our look at the new game features and we’d love to hear which ones you are most looking forward to.

Last edited:
  • 16Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
Great diary. The free camera mode was something I missed in CS1. I'm glad that there will be a lot of cool films to be made. I can't wait to play CSII :D.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This development diary concludes our look at the new game features and we’d love to hear which ones you are most looking forward to.
The simulation depth looks unprecedented. The path decision making basics (minimizing weighted cost, discomfort and time) are solid and very cool.
The economy sounds great, although we'll have to see how it works in practice (I'm having particular concerns about manual freight lines), but CO definitely deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

I'm anticipating that you'll prove that you're the best city builder devs there are, and the game is going to be truly awesome.

Thanks for another interesting dev diary, the photo/video modes look good.

Is there also a ‘free look’ mode like there is on consoles for CS1 - that is, where you still control the view just as you would when building, except things like district names and the pop up icons are all hidden, so you can just admire your city freely?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Really great addition, it's one thing I missed most in vanilla C:S 1 - the ability to finetune some visuals and zooming in/out more freely.

The only question I have is how much of it resets once you exit Photo Mode and go back to gameplay - does the weather/time of day you choose carry on to gameplay or it only changes things in Photo Mode really?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Again you surpass expectations. I thought 'Photo mode' just meant you'd be able to hide the UI.

Neat to see a game include such detailed controls! Just a few thoughts...
  • [Adjustments] - When making adjustments to something like Tint: do we have to type in a new number each time? Or can we maybe use the mousewheel to adjust it? I think a lot of users will tend to slide things around until it just feels right, which a mousewheel could allow (personally I'd prefer slider inputs instead) [RESPONSE - Can enter either a precise value or click+drag to slide. ✅]
  • [Time/Weather] - I like that we can set these, buttttttt just to make sure: does the time/weather revert back when exiting these camera modes? Is the simulation paused while in these modes & it's just showing cosmetic animations? Or can we just be like "nah I'm not dealing with snow", switch to cinematic mode, and run it on sunny weather? [RESPONSE - Cosmetic only. Will revert when you exit photo/cinematic mode. ✅]
  • [Upscaling] - Can there be an option to upscale graphics (if not already at max settings) while in these modes? Especially if the simulation is paused & computers might be able to handle a bit more.
  • [Output] - What file format do photos & videos output as? [RESPONSE - Images are .gif; videos don't record -- will need separate recording software.]
  • [Tech Jargon] - Maybe it's fine or well-presented with tooltips (which Paradox games have really nailed over the past few years), but I wonder if details like Sensor Types and Sizes might fly over the head of non-photographers & if there might be a better way to present those? Like maybe just filter types, image size, etc?
  • [Actors] - This is almost certainly something for DLC, but any plans to add actor entities into the game? So maybe we want a specific person to do this specific thing ... like they'll sit on a bench in a park, or turn the corner and bump into friends, or an action sequence of someone running toward a roof's ledge with police in pursuit, etc.
And since photos & cinematics are all about nice looking graphics... this seemed as good a place as any to also add some graphics comments:
  • [Assets] - The game feels very short on unique assets. I assume asset libraries will eventually grow & mods will fill the void, but from what I’ve seen things feel very underwhelming at launch. Or will launch have more assets than we've seen in the beta build videos so far?
  • [Collision Zones] - Asset collision zones appear to be very strict. Consider adding in an option to allow assets to clip when being placed or changing states. (While I’m pretty sure one of the first must-have mods will inevitably do this: I generally prefer to reduce reliance on mods as much as possible since they can be tricky to keep up-to-date as modders come & go.)
  • [Pedestrians] - At game launch will pedestrians walk a bit more normally, so they don't look like they're straddling on up to a gun duel in the Wild West?
  • [Construction] - The apparent cranes-only building animation is a step too far in the opposite direction from scaffolding-only. Could we get scaffolding for low and medium density, and cranes for high density?
  • [Livestock Farms] - Consider not spawning random buildings in the middle of large livestock farms, keeping them limited to the designated entry point. Or perhaps keep any interior structures limited to smaller sheds & lean-to shelters.
  • [Window Lights] - During dark hours: so far it's seemed like buildings have most lights on in the windows at all times. Can buildings be a bit more dynamic? Maybe gradually illuminating some windows into the evening, then going darker as the nighttime sets in: offices empty, residents go to sleep ... and then gradually reilluminate as dusk approaches before all doing dark again? (This sounds so simple but I also totally get that this may be a surprisingly hard thing to implement if not already in-game)
  • [Graphics] - Will graphics improve substantively from what we've seen so far in the beta builds? As one YouTuber put it: it presently looks more like Cities Skylines 1.5 ... graphics don't seem to have leapt 8 years forward, with a lot of low-resolution textures & a general terrain that feels extremely spartan with only a couple sparse trees and naught much else. I admit perhaps some naïvety, but I was kind of hoping for graphics more akin to GTA V than CS1.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm so glad these options are available to us in the base game, instead of relying on mods like in the previous installment. Also, the trailer was recorded solely using this feature? That's more amazing!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for another interesting dev diary, the photo/video modes look good.

Is there also a ‘free look’ mode like there is on consoles for CS1 - that is, where you still control the view just as you would when building, except things like district names and the pop up icons are all hidden, so you can just admire your city freely?
That would be Photo Mode. The middle button at the bottom (eye with a diagonal line) hides the UI completely so you can just admire your city.

Really great addition, it's one thing I missed most in vanilla C:S 1 - the ability to finetune some visuals and zooming in/out more freely.

The only question I have is how much of it resets once you exit Photo Mode and go back to gameplay - does the weather/time of day you choose carry on to gameplay or it only changes things in Photo Mode really?
Settings are turned off again once you exit Photo Mode but the latest values you entered are remembered for settings until you exit the game. However, you can use the Cinematic Camera to save your favorite settings and camera positions.

Neat to see a game include this level of detail! Just a few thoughts...
  • [Adjustments] - When making adjustments to something like Tint: do we have to type in a new number each time? Or can we maybe use the mousewheel to adjust it? I think a lot of users will tend to slide things around until it just feels right, which a mousewheel could allow... though personally I'd prefer slider inputs instead.
  • [Time/Weather] - I like that we can set these, buttttttt just to make sure: does the time/weather revert back when exiting these camera modes? Is the simulation paused while in these modes & it's just showing cosmetic animations? Or can we just be like "nah I'm not dealing with snow", switch to cinematic mode, and run it on sunny weather?
  • [Upscaling] - Can there be an option to upscale graphics (if not already at max settings) while in these modes? Especially if the simulation is paused & computers might be able to handle a bit more.
  • [Output] - What file format do photos & videos output as?
  • [Tech Jargon] - Maybe it's fine or well-presented with tooltips (which Paradox games have really nailed over the past few years), but I wonder if details like Sensor Types and Sizes might fly over the head of non-photographers & if there might be a better way to present those? Like maybe just filter types, image size, etc?
  • [Actors] - This is almost certainly something for DLC, but any plans to add actor entities into the game? So maybe we want a specific person to do this specific thing ... like they'll sit on a bench in a park, or turn the corner and bump into friends, or an action sequence of someone running toward a roof's ledge with police in pursuit, etc.
And since photos & cinematics are all about nice looking graphics... this seemed as good a place as any to also add some graphics comments:
  • [Assets] - The game feels very short on unique assets. I assume asset libraries will eventually grow & mods will fill the void, but from what I’ve seen things feel very underwhelming at launch. Or will launch have more assets than we've seen in the beta build videos so far?
  • [Collision Zones] - Asset collision zones appear to be very strict. Consider adding in an option to allow assets to clip when being placed or changing states. (While I’m pretty sure one of the first must-have mods will inevitably do this: I generally prefer to reduce reliance on mods as much as possible since they can be tricky to keep up-to-date as modders come & go.)
  • [Construction] - The apparent cranes-only building animation is a step too far in the opposite direction from scaffolding-only. Could we get scaffolding for low and medium density, and cranes for high density?
  • [Livestock Farms] - Consider not spawning random buildings in the middle of large livestock farms, keeping them limited to the designated entry point.
  • [Window Lights] - During dark hours: so far it's seemed like buildings have most lights on in the windows at all times. Can buildings be a bit more dynamics? Maybe gradually illuminating some windows into the evening, then going darker as the nighttime sets in: offices empty, residents go to sleep ... and then gradually reilluminate as dusk approaches before all doing dark again. (This sounds so simple but I also totally get that this may be a surprisingly hard thing to implement if not already in-game)
Thanks! :)
Lots of great feedback and questions, I'll just answer the ones I'm able to at this time.

[Adjustments] - You can either type in the precise value or click and drag next to the number for a slider option.
[Time/Weather] - They revert back and are only cosmetic changes. Your citizens will still go about their business like it was daytime if you turn it to sunrise.
[Output] - Photo Mode outputs .png files while the Cinematic Camera does not handle recording, so video output would be dependent on your recording software and settings.
[Tech Jargon] - We have tooltips giving a brief explanation of what the different settings affect to help you determine if they will give an effect you want to use.

I asked myself the same question: do we have the same graphical fine tuning in normal gameplay?

Edit: I see you asnwered while I was typing this post. So that's a no, I guess. Well, there'll be a mod.

Would the cinematic camera mode be useful to create a timelapse of a city's moving traffic at a very fast speed? This is very common for newscast intros for television stations in the United States.

I have two examples of this, both from television stations owned by Gray Television:
(mornings) and
(late night).

All the possibilities that these tools offer seem incredible to me, but I have a question: we can configure the size of the images and videos so that they can be used on social networks according to the formats requested by each platform.
Can it be recorded at 1080 x 1920 or in a 9:16 ratio? (this is the format for Instagram reels)

What a flexible and versatile tool! I look forward to using this and playing with the settings and saving certain movements for timelapses.

Have fun finishing up the game before release!

All the possibilities that these tools offer seem incredible to me, but I have a question: we can configure the size of the images and videos so that they can be used on social networks according to the formats requested by each platform.
Can it be recorded at 1080 x 1920 or in a 9:16 ratio? (this is the format for Instagram reels)
I believe the tool is only for camera angles and stuff, not for actual recording. So you need a recording software (e.g. Steam) and an editing software as well.

Reactions:
Thank you for the last Dev Diary. I'm sure all the influencers and Youtubers will appreciate the possibilities of the camera, so, well done, looks great.

Personally, I am a simple user and have no use for this, which is fine as well, of course. Just want to say, however, that all of this does not allow me to enjoy my city in a first person mode the way I want. We still need that proper First Person experience according to that often quoted and even more often dowloaded First Person Camera mod. Thank you!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Question: In the video I saw when the camera is set to maximum fog and I ask if that thick fog can happen during normal gameplay because it looks so awesome and atmospheric!

Reactions:
Does this include a flyover cinematic mode? Similar to what console currently has in CS1. Not sure if PC has it as well.

Basically you click a button and it will play fly the camera over random areas of your city and allow you to just sit back and relax and watch your city.

Reactions: