• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

1.35 Retrospective & Summer Break

Greetings, and welcome everyone to the last Dev Diary of the Domination cycle! We’ve been active in the forums and receiving your feedback about this expansion and the 1.35 ‘Ottomans’ update for almost 7 months, and now it is time to retire for a well-deserved Summer break. But before we do that, let’s have a retrospective of the past months.

First is first, on June 20th we released the 1.35.4 patch, and on June 27th and July 4th the 1.35.5 and 1.35.6 hotfixes. We think that the most important and urgent reported issues have been addressed, making this the final and stable version of the 1.35 update. Releasing them has been demanding for us, especially 1.35.6, as the Summer Break has already started in other regions, making releases more difficult; but we thought that fixing most of the reported CTDs would make for the better stability we were looking for, and therefore worth it.

Generally speaking, we’re very thankful for the reception of Domination. This expansion was an ambitious project, as we were working on and creating content for most of the Great Powers of the Modern Age at the same time, something never done before in Europa Universalis IV. This was challenging, as the polishing and balancing of the game were set to be the most difficult tackled by Paradox Tinto since our tenure of EUIV started. In this regard, our QA Team did an amazing job, and they deserve to be praised for it; for every bug that slipped through and was reported in the release version, at least 5 had already been internally reported and fixed. Unfortunately, sometimes things will still slip through the cracks - yes, the Chinese floods will haunt us for a while! This is just a sign that even as we're confident with our QA processes, there's still room for improvement with every new release.

Speaking of the content, we also put a great effort into making the most possible for this expansion. There was also a great challenge regarding this, as most of the countries had already received content in previous DLCs. What we tried to do is to integrate as much as possible the previous systems, mechanics, and features with the new content, which was designed to expand the possibilities and gameplay options of some of the most-played countries of the game. That is, to create new experiences in a 10-year-old game. For some countries, we achieved this better than with others, I think; but we’ll keep working on improving their balance and polish, in order to make Domination a truly must-have DLC. Also, following this line of thought, we have increased the depth of the game, by adding the new, scriptable government system, more reforms and privileges, the new idea groups, etc., for an even deeper experience.

This is something that will make for some of our future plans: keep working on improving the base game and older DLCs as we work on new content. This is the design philosophy of PDX Tinto regarding EUIV’s development, and we’ll continue to work this way in the following months, going through the reports made in the Bug Reports subforum, and gathering the feedback we receive from the community. Coupled with this, we had the release of a new type of DLC, the History Lessons, which albeit not being a massive one, it’s a nice companion to Domination, already having generated interest in players desiring to know more about the History of China and Japan while they play.

Before I finish, I want to note that next month we will be celebrating something that I already mentioned: Europa Universalis IV’s 10th Anniversary! This is really great for Paradox as a whole, as this is the longest-lasting title ever published by the company, and it also makes our Team, led by the original Game Director @Johan , to be quite proud of this achievement. Our Marketing Team is also working hard to celebrate with you the history of EUIV throughout the entire month of August, as well!

With nothing more to say to you than thank you for your support with Domination and during these 10 years, I say goodbye until Autumn, when we will talk again about new content for the game. Goodbye!

• 85Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Time for a new instalment? :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
If it's true that PDX still intends to keep working on the game even after the 10 years mark...That would be among the most impressive accomplishments in the whole history of gaming.

• 5Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Do the developers have any plans to address the growing "homework" problem?

It used to be that you could simply pick any nation on the map and play it, knowing in advance what things are possible in the game, and that you would play it as well as you know EU4 mechanics.

Now, its less and less possible to know what exactly you're in for if you pick "Portugal" or "Norway".

Will I get an early mission to easily break free of my overlord, or will I have a brutal bloody fight for independence? Will I get a permanent colonist from missions, or will I need to take a whole idea set just to unlock the colonization game? Will I get an effective few hundred points of aggressive expansion less from claims and special subjugation mechanics, or no? Will I get 6-7 personal unions from missions, or zero?

With revamped nations, the only way to know what you're getting into is by doing "homework"; reading the wiki and developer diary for every nation before you play.

Huge, game changing buffs and mechanics are very much hidden in a tree of missions, events and reforms that players have no real way of knowing until they just hit them mid game.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
How about making an informal documentary about the last 10 years of EU4? It would be interesting to hear Johan's and everyone else's retrospective thoughts about various stages of the game development. You could even put it into the game as a podcast.

• 9Like
Reactions:
So what you are trying to say is that Domination was quite the profitable DLC, despite it being just a DLC to 4 other DLCs and this is the path you are now willing to take, even tho there are so many untouched areas and outdated maps (it's a shame you no longer are willing to update the maps) that you are so eager to ignore (Aztec, Inca, Jaunpur with no missions whatsoever, many African and European nations with no mission trees despite dedicated DLC's, Indian/Persian mission trees that are rather small and don't offer much in terms of gameplay. Animist absolutely no content). And you are even advertising Domination as a 'truly must-have DLC', even tho in order to get the full potential you still have to buy all the other DLCs :D

Last edited:
  • 7Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
to be quite proud of this achievement.
Achievement is italicized! It must mean a new achievement is coming!

cover4.jpg

• 9Haha
Reactions:
Is it still a locked policy that there will be no more new provinces added in the future? If the game is further optimized, will there be exceptions made?

• 2Like
Reactions:
With revamped nations, the only way to know what you're getting into is by doing "homework"; reading the wiki and developer diary for every nation before you play.
They could just show the missions effects when you look at the mission tree, like they do for the Ottomans and Britain. I find the events that some nations have randomly are more annoying for the wiki diving aspect.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Do the developers have any plans to address the growing "homework" problem? ......

Huge, game changing buffs and mechanics are very much hidden in a tree of missions, events and reforms that players have no real way of knowing until they just hit them mid game.
That's all part of the fun.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Do the developers have any plans to address the growing "homework" problem?

It used to be that you could simply pick any nation on the map and play it, knowing in advance what things are possible in the game, and that you would play it as well as you know EU4 mechanics.

Now, its less and less possible to know what exactly you're in for if you pick "Portugal" or "Norway".

Will I get an early mission to easily break free of my overlord, or will I have a brutal bloody fight for independence? Will I get a permanent colonist from missions, or will I need to take a whole idea set just to unlock the colonization game? Will I get an effective few hundred points of aggressive expansion less from claims and special subjugation mechanics, or no? Will I get 6-7 personal unions from missions, or zero?

Good? Shouldn't curveballs and uniqueness be good? Otherwise it just becomes min maxing and mindlessly waiting timers.
You could just disable DLC and play an older version of the game, or cheat whenever there is any sort of puzzle to be solved when it comes to running the nation.

• 6Like
Reactions: