• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #301 - Galactic Paragons is out, what's next?

Hi all!

Galactic Paragons and the first hotfix have been released on all PC platforms, and we're working on a balance and bugfixing patch that we're currently targeting for the end of the month. Please keep on providing your thoughts and feedback.

Based on the feedback you've all provided thus far, we are creating a plan for fixes and improvements. While it's possible that we may release a stability hotfix before the balance patch, it will not include any design changes.

Cooperative Mode and Out of Syncs

The 3.8.2 hotfix took care of a number of out of sync issues, but there are more to hunt down. The programming team is focusing heavily on clearing these up, so every bit of information we can get is helpful.

If you're running into frequent out of sync issues, you can help us out a lot by having the host add these startup parameters to their game:
-randomlog -randomlog_stack=5 -randomlog_frames=3

Then, if you run into an Out of Sync, please post in the Bug Report forum and give us the Host's OOS logs as well as at least one of the clients that the popup mentioned. (OOS logs can be found in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\oos near your save games.) Any details you can provide about what you were doing at the time is also helpful.

This setting has some performance implications (which is why it's not on by default), but if you're running into OOSes reliably, it can really help us track them down.

Tell Us More About the Balance Patch

Here are a few selected notes.

Balance
  • Legendary leaders no longer count towards Leader Capacity.
  • Admirals that command fleets hired from marauders no longer count towards your Leader Capacity.
  • Added the Leader of Opportunity trait, leaders that have this trait do not count towards Leader Capacity while under Level 4.
    • Assigned some event spawned leaders the Leader of Opportunity trait.
  • Aptitude Tradition "Champions of the Empire" now gives bonus per Leaders' levels.
    • Effect is now a flat -2 Empire Size per Governor level, and 0.5% Exp per Scientist level and 2 Naval capacity per Admiral/General level.
  • Autocannons are no longer valued at three times their intended military power.
Bugfixes
  • Fixed a bug where ships would sometimes stop following its target when they entered a hyperlane
  • Leaders can no longer start the game with traits that produce resources. This should stop machine leaders from keeping a bonsai tree garden as a hobby.

AI
  • AI will now wait until it has at least 5 planets and 25 years before choosing a specialization designation for its homeworld

Performance
  • Leader view performance optimizations

There will, of course, be more.

Next Week

Our next dev diary will be Thursday, May 25th, when we'll be going over a more complete list of the preliminary patch notes.

See you then!

• 72Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Someone's going to ask, so it may as well be me: are you planning to add more outcomes to the Luminary event chain?

Also: can we manually force Leaders of Opportunity not to advance above level 4?

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • Added the Leader of Opportunity trait, leaders that have this trait do not count towards Leader Capacity while under Level 4.
  • Aptitude Tradition "Champions of the Empire" now gives bonus per Leaders' levels.
    • Effect is now a flat -2 Empire Size per Governor level, and 0.5% Exp per Scientist level and 2 Naval capacity per Admiral/General level.
Time to home-grow 6 Empire Size, 1.5% Leader EXP and 6 Naval Cap bonuses. Progenitor Hives would probably be the best at this given the extra leader XP they get.

EDIT: Not anymore, said trait is awarded only by events.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good fix on the broken tradition. It's still somewhat spammable, but there's some pretty hard limits to overcome.

However I think you still need to do something about the straight-up broken traits:
  • Blocker and Building cost reduction traits are near-useless if used as intended (i.e. on a planetary scale). And if you buff them to be worth it on a planetary scale, they'd probably become broken when used in the tedious way. Governor traits should only apply to things that happen over time, not to instant effects.
  • There's way too many sources of ship build cost reductions for there to be a spammable trait. Change those traits to ship build speed, ship starting xp, +x% hull/armor/shield hp, anything that doesn't completely break the balance.

• 20Like
Reactions:
Are there any plans to modify the leader cap? I know it's supposed to be a soft cap, but so far I haven't yet encountered any methods other than a tradition or two that increase it. It would be nice if there were some more.

• 17Like
Reactions:
Thank god new leaders no longer have resource traits, i lost count of how many new leaders i skipped due to those even as a non-gestalt.
Also i assume legendary leaders are supposed to mean legendary paragons and renowned paragons still take a slot right?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I hope this patch also fixes leader trait stacking issues. Shipwright governors become a big problem when they stack, Gray Eminence councilors also become a problem when they stack, making empire size pointless.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
An idea I’ve talked about before, but which became more relevant with Paragons and the Under One Rule origin:
Could it be possible for the Divine Sovereign shroud event to trigger for empires with an Imperial authority?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Are there any plans to modify the leader cap? I know it's supposed to be a soft cap, but so far I haven't yet encountered any methods other than a tradition or two that increase it. It would be nice if there were some more.

There's a couple of bonuses scattered about:
  • Transcendent Learning AP: +2
  • Dystopian Society civic: +1
  • Pooled Knowledge civic: +1
  • Autonomous Drones civic: +1
  • Factory Overclocking civic: +1
  • Precision Cogs civic: +1
  • Colonial Centralization tech: +1
  • Collective Self/Embodied Dynamism tech: +1
  • Aptitude tradition: +1
  • Statecraft tradition: +1
  • Chosen of the Composer ruler: +1

Granted not all of these are accessible to all empires, but it should be possible for most to get a leader cap of around 8-10.

Thank god new leaders no longer have resource traits, i lost count of how many new leaders i skipped due to those even as a non-gestalt.
Also i assume legendary leaders are supposed to mean legendary paragons and renowned paragons still take a slot right?

Yeah, only the five legendary leaders (Gray, Azaryn, Keides, Sharpbeak and the Beholder) don't count towards the cap.

• 25Like
Reactions:
Hi. Since you have decided to solve all possible balance problems except for 90 percent discounts, it would be great if the problem of starting on the relic world is solved. The fact is that after the renewal, organic empires lost their power. Starting on the relic world after the last update has become very expensive. I think it would be fair to double the production of small artifacts that researchers produce

• 3Like
Reactions:
I suppose as we approach the Swedish summer holiday we will see bug fixes and the balance patch and then, hopefully, the big experiments they plan to try out to see if they improve the game. Wonder what it will be this year (please be the faction overhaul).

• 3Like
Reactions:
So the 0 empire build with grey eminences aren't getting touched a whole patch?

Gonna be a silly ride.

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I don't see the purpose of the leader cap at all. Just unity upkeep was enough, not to mention the ever-increasing recruitment cost. It was a system that worked really well, and now we have something that's terribly broken.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I would also really like to see a balance of upkeep modifiers, because right now it's really ridiculous how you can nearly nullify all kinds of expenses.

• 1Like
Reactions:
i find you get offered too many useless traits on leaders.. councillor traits are offered so often to non councillor members.. you get offered the resource skills later in game when there useless.. we need a broader selection of skills and maybeup the amount we get offered by default maybe have a relevance weighted system i have also seen some OP ship cost/build time combo's that simply shouldnt be possible that needs fixing

Reactions:
Guess it was too much to expect you guys to actually address the leader cap being too low. If you’re forced to sacrifice civic, tech, and ascension tree perk choices to boost the cap regardless of empire type you’re playing, then it’s a universally broken system.

• 3Like
Reactions: