Victoria 3: Open Beta Information

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hello everyone!

It is now time for us to start the open beta for Victoria 3 Update 1.2, which after careful consideration by the entire team has been named “Hot Cinnamon Spice”!
We’ve been working on this update for a while now and we hope that it will provide a significant improvement to your experience with Victoria 3. Before we unleash it fully we’d like for you all to give it a go and provide us with feedback so that it can be the best it can be. The final release date of the full update will be revealed later.

How to opt-in to the Open Beta:
First of all we'd like to recommend everyone to start a fresh game and not use existing 1.1 save files. To opt-in you right click Victoria 3 in Steam, go to properties, click on the tab that says BETAS and in the dropdown list there you should be able to select the “1.2-beta”. Let the game update and you should be ready to go. If you wish to opt-out from the beta you repeat the above process but pick “none” in the dropdown list.

1. Right click Victoria 3 in your Steam library
2. Go to Properties
3. Click "BETAS" on the menu to the left
4. Pick 1.2-beta in the dropdown list
5. Allow for your game to update
6. Start Victoria 3 as you normally would

How to report bugs and give feedback:
Our primary channel for communications will be the Victoria 3 Discord Server in the OPEN BETA section where you can post feedback and report bugs!
You can also file bug reports in the bug report forum (make sure you specify the bug is found in the 1.2 Beta build).

Updates to the build:
We’ll be updating the open beta build on a regular basis and any updates will be communicated on Discord. Please note that updates may render your save file incompatible.

THREAD ABOUT KNOWN ISSUES CAN BE FOUND HERE!

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
Interested in taking a look and happy that you guys are using a Beta, thanks.

One question - is there a change log? Not sure if I missed it somewhere.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Asks me for some access code, what should I type? (After choosing which beta I want)
Nothing, all you need to do is select the beta from the dropdown, the code part can be ignored. Generally across steam the access code part is to make new options show up in the dropdown selection, but this beta is public.

• 1Like
Reactions:

I don't believe I have permission to send links but I think the only information we have right now is in Dev Diary #73, which I'm sure you've already seen!

• 2Like
Reactions:

On discord it was said that there won't be a changelog until close to the official release.

no changelog for beta until close to release.PNG

Reactions:
I’m honestly don’t like the idea that bugs will be discovered by chance. I know compiling all the changes would take precious time out of dev time. But how could I know which features, numbers, UI, or new mechanics to check? Try clicking every single buttons and read every tooltips in game?

Please at least give us a list of new features or major changes. Or everything in previous dev diaries is all I need?

• 1Like
Reactions:
That is silly, how do we know what to test if there is only vague bullet points as direction.

Well, the missing changelog is one of my motivations to skip the open beta. Or to be clear: my main motivation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
how long will the beta take how rough is it? is it completely broken

The new patch is expected to be released on March 13th. One can expect that the beta phase will last that long.

Reactions:
Not sure where you want BETA feedback but here's mine:

So been playing a fair chunk of Vicky III 1.2. 1 one game as Prussia, one as austria and one now as russia. Honestly pretty impressed, especially as this is a BETA.

Anyone else think the capitalists investing in tandem isn't boosting econ growth by as large an amount as you expected? I thought my growth would be a lot higher by the 1890s than it was before in 1.1.

It is nice though to be able to decide a direction of the economy and then have the AI backfill it. IE: I build groceries, caps fund farms. Prussia seems to get curb stomped by AI Austria and France in every game currently. British econ performance still aint as good as I'd have liked. Think the problem comes from the inability to invest in puppet states. AI puppets simply don't grow your market as well as a player does, and the British Empire is mostly (pop wise) controlled by the Dominions/Raj.

For instance: In my Austria-Austria/hungary-Germany game. On annexing the german minors, I'm left with a critically under-developed north german economy. Not enough industry, was shocked by how little Prussia had built in the Rhineland as well. Vicky II's investment window was really good for this.

Short term, I'd like to even if not directly control what an AI in my market builds be able to influence it: Like Stellaris' sectors. Medium term, we have to see direct building in puppets. Long term foreign investment a-la Vicky II. (bring me my nationalisation events!)

Reactions:
Would it be possible to add to the pop overview what % of your population is from each strata? Perhaps below the average income. Maybe raise the strata portrait a bit higher. Also the consumption taxes indicator eats into the % in the UI. Maybe shorten it to "Cons. Taxes".

In addition, in the charts tab, maybe add a button that allows for professions to be grouped up by strata in the ledger list. The strata professions could be encased in a box with bronze for lower strata, silver for middle strata, and gold for higher strata. With a total pop indicator below each of the boxes. This would help visualize the break down of each strata and its population's professions in a fast way.

Could also add a button in the market goods tab that switches the buy orders and sell orders to show only your country's buy and sell orders as opposed to the entire market's.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Not sure where you want BETA feedback but here's mine:

So been playing a fair chunk of Vicky III 1.2. 1 one game as Prussia, one as austria and one now as russia. Honestly pretty impressed, especially as this is a BETA.

Anyone else think the capitalists investing in tandem isn't boosting econ growth by as large an amount as you expected? I thought my growth would be a lot higher by the 1890s than it was before in 1.1.

It is nice though to be able to decide a direction of the economy and then have the AI backfill it. IE: I build groceries, caps fund farms. Prussia seems to get curb stomped by AI Austria and France in every game currently. British econ performance still aint as good as I'd have liked. Think the problem comes from the inability to invest in puppet states. AI puppets simply don't grow your market as well as a player does, and the British Empire is mostly (pop wise) controlled by the Dominions/Raj.

For instance: In my Austria-Austria/hungary-Germany game. On annexing the german minors, I'm left with a critically under-developed north german economy. Not enough industry, was shocked by how little Prussia had built in the Rhineland as well. Vicky II's investment window was really good for this.

Short term, I'd like to even if not directly control what an AI in my market builds be able to influence it: Like Stellaris' sectors. Medium term, we have to see direct building in puppets. Long term foreign investment a-la Vicky II. (bring me my nationalisation events!)
I agree with you on this, but I think this is going to come in a future patch, as they're first going to have to decouple capitalists from individual buildings (so capitalists in one province can profit from buildings in a different province). Once that happens, it wouldn't be so complicated to extend that to investing in buildings in other countries.

I'd expect we'd have 1 patch for the decoupling, and another patch(or DLC) for the overseas investment. I can't point to an individual dev diary, but I think one of them said that's a future plan. Personally I think it makes sense, as it would make subject states far more useful and easier to exploit.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, apart from your own player-driven actions, was there any variation in how the world looked in 1936 between your three runs?
Or is it still the same old super-static world that we know from 1.1, with outer manchuria being eternally chinese, japan being an eternal banana republic, Kongo/Namibia being colonized by the US, no one eating the german minors etc.?