Content Creator Pack: Creator Dev Diary - Skyscrapers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Feindbold

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Mar 12, 2015
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
AIulC5r1jXzuiT7GIgfKorpuC2bPVyKRJguETah_0yT56c_Jx7_Cb5l60SpuYS9hJSBcxrQIODjbl5XTrcYAbMubMgRUsxSvyo3b9slLqDQ7vRz0NPpJAbIm-2EAxBH8fCSL_dsivuqQrfBGnEPRJljyq38oMSDmKZkOv_IMvaEJLV3p9e2h9mE

Hello everyone,

In this thread I’ll be talking about the process of planning and production of my content creator pack; Skyscrapers.

As a little introduction; I’m known as Feindbold on the Steam Workshop, where I’m an active content creator since the release in 2015. While I created some buildings from the 50s to 70s, the overwhelming majority of my releases are from the timeframe of 1870 to 1920.

My focus in particular is residential buildings from the US, Germany and France. So it might come as a surprise to many, who are familiar with my work, that I made a CCP that is so centered around modern architecture. I specifically choose to make something entirely different from what I’m known for, as I like the challenge of learning something new and adopting my workflow to new parameters.

YuZotjRIKAYny9M6hsEfQ0WMGhI4wNlMk9ZLUsSkhgXuViUMbhWsPwf82T1CcqKMQvNwQZ_V0zjkzStRN7H1-8Lo10tDNIqd3hcwEP1kIfod0XvXG5yLC8ZHsGrO2U_e7zQYiHZsYgYsKlp80vJQooxe4OI4ieRmkVu5qwTNJZtxBAOffl7NrUM

ky9TU8pygNYYdFVJhKujiGAJRf0pcJg9enIv_okNsmq_isExHyJD9olZ9Gw5T6gQbnp7HVpI3Ev3lNkVZzf1nEYkcihj9V_xegCXcSt2VlW8feFZqTPjNMHTXye1gyOmyqiuWjMp03gvTPbXKtWsQWOUtH0_FK-lg6qbM7OACWAf0xuC6O2_2C8

Here are two examples of my work on the Steam Workshop, the first one shows the 40 Wall street Building from New York and the 2nd screenshot shows a german corner building.

Content Pack Roster:
The pack contains 44 ploppable skyscrapers, high-rise buildings and 47 rooftop props.

Making of: Skyscrapers
Origins
The idea for creating a pack, that is centered around skyscrapers, was essentially the result of me taking a hiatus of creating modded content for Cities Skylines in 2021. I was very busy with my university courses during that time and only played a bit of entirely vanilla Cities Skylines. During this phase, I realized that there are actually very few vanilla options, to create an actual skyline and thus the idea was born, to make this pack.

Planning: Technical and Artistic Preparation
In the very early planning stage of this project, I tried to set some general rules regarding what kind of content should be part of this pack. One of these ideas that got eventually scrapped, was the simultaneous implementation of ploppable and growable assets. There are multiple good reasons why growable highrises and skyscrapers were eventually ruled out:
  • With the exception of a few examples in New York and Hong Kong, the height of buildings is usually tied to the general dimensions of the plot. Really tall buildings quickly reach dimensions that overtake the biggest possible growable plot size of 32x32 Meters, or 4 by 4 tiles in Cities Skylines.
  • Limiting myself to mostly buildings with growable dimensions would essentially mean that I have to limit myself to buildings around 80-120 meters. These buildings would not stand out much against the already existing buildings in the game, which would undermine the entire idea of this CCP.
  • Both the base game and the Green Citys DLC, already offer these kinds of growable highrise buildings.
  • Another reason for ruling out growables were limitations of time and content. There is a maximum number of large buildings that can be part of a CCP and growable sets need a large amount of buildings to work correctly. Making growables would mean that I had to compromise on the amount of ploppable buildings.
With growable buildings ruled out, it was quickly clear that large ploppable buildings should be the main selling point of this CCP. The range of these kind of buildings is still incredibly wide, so I needed to come up with some additional rules, before selecting specific references made sense:
  • Defining a range of heights was very important. I needed buildings that are significantly taller than anything in the game, but at the same time not too tall to entirely dwarf the surrounding neighborhoods. Initially I set a range of 150 to 280 meters.
  • Selecting popular skyscrapers as landmarks was another important topic. While it seemed interesting to recreate well known landmarks at first, people often directly connect the landmarks with the cities they are from. When I think about the Empire State Building, I immediately think about New York and the US and I would be more reluctant to place this building while recreating a city from Europe or Asia. Based on these observations, I decided to only select a few landmarks and mostly select less known but interesting buildings.
  • The history of the skyscraper spans over almost 140 years so far. I ruled out the first 70 years of this history, as the decorative styles of these early skyscrapers would stand out too much from the general looks of buildings in Cities Skylines. In accordance with this decision, I limited potential buildings and styles to the 1950s-2020s.
  • Another rule I set for myself was the inclusion of buildings from as many countries and continents as possible. Initially PDX agreed for a pack of 18 buildings, therefore I set a rule that at least two buildings should be selected from each continent.
  • At last, I also set myself a rule to offer as many interesting shapes and styles as possible.
With these technical and artistic parameters done, I was finally able to start my search for potential buildings. Since I requested 4 months for the completion of the pack, I was able to invest an entire week for the research and selection process.

At first I researched some more well-known buildings for each continent, but in the end I spent most of the time flying around in Google maps 3D layer, always on the hunt for interesting looking buildings that fit the rules that I have set for this pack.

l9HPoTbJ36zGTzuDect-DhYACxadwTPcCSqIIOCwfVFmMT6VXkY6gMu4At3dUlccTKE3YxmU63uO-DZ2VVOcH6pj2aMvy2OgOmsFQlGWU9tGJcTZf65T3fwk5fblT8Gf2gyz61nz8hJYZs0FfOuUzMsydhpYMSq_ZEvPLFB54D0tFndMIMMa-NQ

Lesser known buildings are often hard to find, unless you already know what you are searching for. Using Google Maps to find interesting looking buildings that fit my rules and then researching these buildings proved to be a lot more efficient.

To keep track of my progress, I created a sheet very early in the development progress. Initially I only listed potential candidates for each continent, noted some general information, like the year it was built and the country it was built in and added a few photos from multiple angles.

xX4epIMdqVsEik4lNc5S8EBPtQa5DvpuJ0TJujbz1FI4M8W9p0S5GZVmBtw1_VbkeKbYXEPSsoUWDoJM0ryhMuxMDW0d3z7rJ5jhmgy_JCjGTIgBMmHynm6ecN6T12IJgE0C6YQiSXSAsDQSqRuRHX3MyMCqQIpzzOu0f4nBRL-WXebcnVpJdPw

Throughout each development phase I updated the sheet, to keep track of my progress. As visible in this finished state, I added renders of textured models, ingame screenshots of imported buildings and additional information, like the changes done to each model.

Production
As I had 4 months or 16 weeks for the completion of the entire pack. I divided my available time into six stages of asset production:
  • 1 week for research and selection of buildings
  • 3 weeks for the modeling of all buildings
  • 4 weeks for the creation of all textures and UV mapping of all buildings
  • 2 weeks for illumination maps and randomized blinds for windows
  • 1 week for modeling and UV mapping of the prop set
  • 1 week for LOD creation and LOD baking
The remaining 4 weeks were planned as a buffer, in case I would need more time for any of the other stages of production. In case all stages and buildings could be completed in time, these additional 4 weeks could be used to create additional content.

3D Models
3D modeling started based on the collected reference material in the sheet as well as additional collected photos of each building. Using Google Street View can be another very useful tool, as you can “walk” around the building and get a better sense for the proportions. Another great service for getting references and some additional information is Google Earth, there is a function in the measurement tab, where you can measure 3D Geometry. Using this tool meant that I could simply take measurements for ceiling heights or general proportions of buildings.

All 3D models were made with empty white materials at first, but I relied heavily on the use of instanced components. A building is made of multiple different components, each component is linked to each copy of that component. Later on in the texturing stage, only one copy of each component needs to be textured, all the other copies will be textured automatically, as they are instanced.

QBb04b5xZR9qBscPfJwrGjmKmpY6wXNEuogbah2ZGFva0o_KiovAS55UlkRO35jhklv-PY0vCYpAPtTE4KT835JsBy-3YJy2knNIwNEGOA5XbawXdf3kE7RufDK-b5fvTAQuVQHBwWuI7B24XPGm3n-CcO0fY0m-kMIAsX1uMgsgm-V__E21ht4

Here is an example render of a building with empty grey material on the left and all the different components that this building is made of on the right.

Another important aspect during the 3D modeling was to alter the design and appearance of each building enough, not make them direct copies of original buildings.
Apart from files for each model, I also used an assembly file, where I pasted a copy of each model. This was very helpful to get a sense of how these buildings look as a set:

VdZkdLiqSgY3R0VEIlUcjpAwvw85L6ZxDkBjyerDjGP7DwXbJ_X82g_ZjEO7IVYHaGv1soqEwtWRhAxuzrK8LxYekPAYnrvL3OhmBt4fjW8qgPRqrQiUoVQmiCGmMGTlmySIbmKwzicS2ceuOEbNk7NmCfxzNt5gPcqXc2dhj_A03U6q0Qe8pQs

Textures
Based on the set of rules that I set for the selection of my buildings, I did not expect or plan to rely on texture sharing for any of my buildings. After all, one of the goals of the pack was to create very different looking buildings. Using texture sharing would reduce the visual uniqueness of each building. However, creating entirely different textures for so many buildings is an incredibly time-consuming process. That’s why I used material sharing.

Before the actual creation of textures started, I made a selection of procedural materials that can be used with as many buildings as possible. These procedural textures can be changed and it is possible to save, load and edit changes made to these procedural textures.

AdQ5YSdoMpd5QhtGrQKVRZIkXuCHowlMHjOTGHAAc9XzEiThtNF_Z0LQewR9CW14_iO8Zf3E8c_OG5AEgWPlvnX73o19X7t90BVrVmKOdhlBZE5IUBTFcevqLOI4WPsUrfGasOhf3K_rf-HNvfnJP-wL4CaespHAil3EhNQ-UxCwjCtO0OytxCk

As you can see on the right side, many things like the amount of frames, the shape of frames, the amount of windows or the color of any of the components can be easily changed with this procedural material.

Using procedural materials is an incredible time efficient way of creating textures. Instead of having to create more than 20 different window frame textures, or having to use the same window frame texture for all my buildings, I was able to simply change the preset and generate a texture that fits each building individually.

amH_pFE3054_0k2NGofDxsYDuCzIkhgvMoXHqQvn_EWkZcmvvgAw-M9OrJG8AUemwXbIVuzEvhTgxxsjp_NNqWGxpQNJSggTVN-enPT-UfpZ757V5K_oYulm_YliCxdX4iL7S_CFoAHAzoUmf0tQ4Zbf13D57zV_lE15BxqxAM_GnyXIAm1DDnU

As you can see in this selection of some of my textures, each relies on the same procedural material, yet they look very different from each other.

Prop Set
Most of the buildings in this pack have rather big roofs, so to make sure that these roofs are interesting to look at, I decided to make a roof prop pack. I planned out a roof crane, 4 differently sized HVAC Units and a total of 42 modular air duct props. The air ducts split into two subsets, a larger air duct and a thinner one. Each of the subsets come with curves, straight pieces and elevated variants, to give me a maximum of flexibility while decorating the roofs.

Unlike with the buildings, relying on texture sharing for the props made a lot of sense. All of the air ducts are sharing the same texture. As the geometry of these air ducts is much simpler, I was also able to use shared LOD textures for them as well.

xc07aSulc6agYXipieqkIyyOSJtGKxGVC2s_GrMMhQMVCYFmXdy0fulDz0WYEnOLMkIM1OJTgisZINP_ChARps1RarxCsIetFNvPxa30bIOgHfHkNenhXebpk0j8G2v4cMA21Xoebpgul7ij3quzogtNRPAU_pcdXZwc9ZRjImEgR8XZvs8DzqQ

On the upper part, you can see the shared diffuse and normal map for all air ducts, below is the shared diffuse and normal LOD map.

High-rise buildings
Since I managed to finish my production goals in time, I was left with the reserved additional 4 weeks. This meant I could create some additional content. While I was brainstorming ideas with REV0, I talked about the idea of cutting multiple floors from one or two of my buildings, to create a smaller high-rise building. REV0 essentially suggested to me “Do that with all of your buildings, people would love more smaller towers”. That was indeed a really good idea, so I contacted PDX to ask them if it is possible to add more buildings, which they thankfully agreed to.
Since I modeled the buildings in segments of 3-5 floors, cutting away multiple of these segments to create shorter variants took only a few minutes for each building. Another advantage of this method is that these high-rise variants can rely on texture sharing, as they are simply shorter versions of the already implemented skyscrapers.

ZxpN72QnJg82WNJgz6EbcVe0HpFDSrxFaw5D6c10QravckTyf8j0DbAtktrrpFfRRgIR9jjTDomJxjGI7jsuGVGEum_PPju9g2g6EbkODPvWW7o-LH7c6TpuS2wlRh96qsgfa_tgkDhJmR8I9VJNtgYA49q8zjANhQ8tmhAU00ipKlivpiTO7-U

Here you can see a simplified process of how these smaller variants were made

U7Ntp0b08TcvMhMaQG9r0vM3_qYH3ajWmhoELaqp1wW0r8qKxuTbu0gjot4JIgAv4JwLnegt539MrOAubSFh2j1fNjVcku7pZf0KCTT1inxXhkLXjq2TNKZp4PDtCperl_iKJXWf0q91CEFfRVGiZsI_EPiHZNQy-4iUJTPanXsplbI3LTZ4Fh8

Rjhxx3tYtytIBFbrOs4v2FRMPBabUYLUD6pp9pDOuYesNupHKONiTn2v5asMUoQkYlAKZKx7Ebr-UxHQDmYhxSfcAnXL24iBt-AZ81zGleZUYGovDGfbJz_SW4-4glWex6JYTfC_aE5ksZkkr7I-kVncY-jDcJPK3diUT0Yh3bb5foJMnc7uqU4

Here you can see a skyline that was built entirely with high-rise variants.

Import
During the import process, all buildings were tagged with the keyword "Skyscraper" for ease of convenience for users, via their description section. All air duct props were tagged “Airduct” and all AC Units were tagged “ACUnit”. Custom thumbnails were made for all buildings:

bW9Z0Pr5ATduzqjxHiGUDfDfIGG-BUt8dsYM-Sm6JdbbVPjv7X_0iWu8Aa6mGIRsmxEG5fkHnmMnHKWW-EvF-6DQA36mHrlAGO_PFrSGZds32jr_ovYTVeXQdyib96nUMFTHWkQiN0wptqZJe2I9VDBwPcdQoOdQCWCYBlW3Yo6stDchbL_Wh4s

Some of the thumbnails/tooltips, used on assets.

During the production, a total of 2052 raw files have been created (this includes textures, main and LOD models, thumbnails). The final size of the delivered asset pack is about 620MB, however since texture share is partly used on high-rise variants and props, the final load on RAM use is expected to be about half of the pack size.

At the end of the dev-diary I want to show you some additional screenshots from the pack. I hope you will have fun building larger skylines, and enjoy being creative with the content.
Thank you for reading,
Feindbold

TOfw_cNzgEpqNDbLv2V6qCvwnaYL6HPo-sbK_Ia98KrL78VCrTro3X0jjaLZi9W--kPjW2b6S1wyNMfmqhgVjvEk5YAqpNGEbFrOTlpW1Up3kn1kt7l_p0-v24gGKWP0pOiZ_-H9-DBIgVUBFXEYpaiJ3g4VGR6P-oQAjCr_3DIFmhTvpRr0gVQ

uagkxyCAgvPAlG3uJoxUJH8LJmv3Q66soPO_iZ_L2Ry8xW4MsQx7xke32LS0YUtd8brcwLJzLKqhzi6NL5OFfriwQlxXcXe2js4d63s_-pwpmj9ok3-J_wKQxRcFRqve0Op9YIFCGn-Sr52XkKZphSxurYm9bX108HPvK72SnOQlXaErqYq-i40

2Av7HJ0eyvCYs5aj6kQ4Koyxj3Q45tnZ3VfvUOweYC3stTcX5Q9pwkpg0E0-RaIohoaMKL81uaguyqcusLw7ukqSivVQO0_xNnFTNf_dA9vvyZFKgOa7mfOuPY7jbBvjBBY23OKXSh_0KCgEPkR-Egs6Ud-Sm0PalEDRB1ktXQFfFXjQPb7PdUc

U7JXWnilEWvLzmXIVvDnHVLh3gx5I65_JBB6HgvSyH1-pj7zQxCfzHHpaWv0Tiqj_0cDVRayF2Hhr0cQ12z4JtRtKWaIcQzTUZ0-Nw_QyQOadLSdbwlfQUUEkXHBR-PRmhcNDBzFVemQXBdVyUb7-luN6vGqSVIm54-sVbRZL9jOvJkwau2_wPM

n98XA-FboCXcURW1uIoUX1VH9Fpo5wmPj-rTZkwYpVewhsWzpX0_8anGHnBsNoTu9YS4Q-QcJBARGpLiYOXvjQGLGIQFAMseZm3xqna10ljdBfhhjkkuBNhR1jFFa_hYNbaM9e8gHjyKQ42Wx1oPrAXBh2ZBXRtci61U7qDuNYo7zXb-kIjTMlE

gsAQxbqG-3MPQKqPS9nQwL7B5KW_a5-U_bNu7Xlf-ONraliBcpqgJ6jeusyJjidlO2xNoOsD1AuDIYH4T7vIECqUnmF_qxAr0kbJPJbkg_erUdYFT05caWzBYQPynIXvVasobbLy_zJPd75XWaCyrStuheUgbrAamwxqPF5wlHKj1YQrvkAEZgM

6j6WpB93wGB45eQPMyeYFZIP1IyZDtDMTNusKOHDVx1SFkB_HbAKo_USoOrZ5YgN4IZhO8qDZxoG360aGKc2peWsxDvPR0WsQenTCaPp3Ck0TBFGF-NAwr3KQ3HXd-T9rslmdRm6VaZz_HSjnduduDz1NlmoG3TjAK1QYrWJ-GPLfq58bgWimj8

A4Tb-4YFXuLttNHr4lDihB9dLH5OTTUXpvk9Mwjmy82laIJj-ymGdw2OfOMJ6epZ-9ntzMTaZeyafPHHln2pvfRe21sMcfNfvB0cuCxBWLhLglJ1THE9DxGwTSipY7yn0CdpfiS2g7m6D6idGKhSXhC30AyknjJzugsDtza87Hcb1R2JJ6joW5I

• 13Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
There should be more skyscrapers like these into the game. Hoping a second version of this CCP sometime in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is there a RICO settings mod for the building? They all cost weekly maintenance instead of being taxed like offices/residential/commercial. And they need to provide functionality instead generate visitors.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I was excited for a Skyscraper DLC but while I like the concept of adding lesser known buildings (as they would better fit user created cities) and the attention to detail is great, but (at least from what I've seen from showcase videos) I feel like the selection is a little bit too generic - most of the buildings are typical modernist skyscrapers that are basically boxes, there not enough skyscrapers that stand out like the Torre Cepsa, Six Rivers Center or these Taiwanese towers.
I know that the point of the DLC was newer skyscrapers but there are still a lot of lesser known buildings that stand out and are shout out to the older Art Deco ones. Some examples
All of theses are outside of NY, Chicago, LA, SF and other overexposed cities, therefore are definitely less known but still have some interesting shapes, rather than being just another box
I like the idea of different height versions though.

What building is from Poland because I can't recognise and it's in the description that there is polish one
Intraco II building, albeit with some details changed as it is 212m tall in-game while IRL it only has 150m

• 3Like
Reactions:
Can someone explain why all the Skyscrapers come with noise pollution? I can't place any of the Skyscrapers into residential zones (I'm on console so no mods)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was excited for a Skyscraper DLC but while I like the concept of adding lesser known buildings (as they would better fit user created cities) and the attention to detail is great, but (at least from what I've seen from showcase videos) I feel like the selection is a little bit too generic - most of the buildings are typical modernist skyscrapers that are basically boxes, there not enough skyscrapers that stand out like the Torre Cepsa, Six Rivers Center or these Taiwanese towers.
I know that the point of the DLC was newer skyscrapers but there are still a lot of lesser known buildings that stand out and are shout out to the older Art Deco ones. Some examples
All of theses are outside of NY, Chicago, LA, SF and other overexposed cities, therefore are definitely less known but still have some interesting shapes, rather than being just another box

Intraco II building, albeit with some details changed as it is 212m tall in-game while IRL it only has 150m
thanks for answer, kinda weird choice of me, I would prefer to see Złota 44 or Varso Tower as it became tallest building in EU

• 1Like
Reactions:

I was going to mention Art Deco but you beat me to it. ;P But, yeah, it would be great to see a content creator pack with Art Deco buildings. Art Deco is one of my favorite styles. It is actually my only favorite architectural style after the beginning of 20th century. All of my other favorite styles are earlier than that (Georgian, Federalist, Spanish Colonial & Revival, et cetera). I am not really into extravagant styles like Baroque, Rococo, et cetera, though. Those golden gilting on the walls and such at the famous Palace of Versailles is too much for me personally. Lol. But that is interior design thing.

But, anyway, yeah, I was not particularly impressed with the bland Modernist / International style, if I may be blunt. There are not many modern buildings that I liked, to be honest. I also personally detests minimalism, art-wise. I am more old-school when it comes to the architectural tastes. ;)

Still, based on the previews, the Skyscrapers content creator pack looked good overall, even if the buildings are very modern. So it is definitely a buy for me and I have added it to my Steam wishlist. Here is hoping to a second part for the Skyscrapers pack! Great work you did there, @Feindbold *thumbs up*.

• 1Like
Reactions:
it would be great to see a content creator pack with Art Deco buildings
Your wish is our command - 6 years ago!
:)

The very first CCP was Art Deco themed funnily enough.
:)

Hmm, I thought these were all low-rises but, apparently, I seem to have misremembered, only remembering the screenshots of houses from that pack. :p Of course, I, naturally, already have that pack so... xD Part 2 of that pack when? ;) Also, I spotted a replica of Empire State Building. :eyes: Would anyone know what building name that particular asset went under in that game?

I will say one thing, though... one of my favorite Art Deco architecture works is not a single building but a collection of pastel-colored buildings along the Ocean Drive in Miami Beach, Florida (a city separate from and not to be confused with Miami, Florida). I am sure many of you would recognize them from Scarface film, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (and apparently in upcoming Grand Theft Auto VI, too), and the like. :p In my opinion, they are one of the best renditions of Art Deco architecture style. I can't be sure but I think there were a few mod assets inspired by that district but don't think there were many of them around.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It was the first CCP and therefore unfortunately most buildings look dated and not on par with current CCP standards - if any CCP should be remastered it is this one.

• 1Like
Reactions: