• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #61 - Data Visualization

16_9.jpg

Hello all, today we are going to talk about some of the data visualization in Victoria 3, how we on the team have iterated on it since our UX dev diary and what we think through when talking about such iterations.

Aron is very busy doing what last bits of polish can be done before we lock down the game for release certification, so I have been asked to write this dev diary for you in their stead. I’m not officially a UX Designer but I do have my qualifications in user experience as QA and I also am quite opinionated about pie charts and other forms of data visualization as many of you in the community are no doubt aware of. I regularly get to be Aron and Henrik’s rubber duck as we talk through solutions to problems on the UX side and it's part of my job that I thoroughly enjoy.

(In fact the first draft of this diary was a full thesis on why pie charts are bad, but I was encouraged to tone down the rhetoric a little, so I will conclude they are aesthetically pretty but are horrible for conveying data.)

Just how angry is Paul? Even with the visualization you would still be guessing…
DD61_1.jpg

Now most of the time when we talk about Data Visualization in games, especially Paradox Games, the first thing that comes to mind is either line graphs or charts of some kind - giving a visual representation of data instead of just a pure numerical representation on the screen. This is not wrong, but data visualization is not solely about making some form of visual representation of abstract data. It is also about increasing the inherent cognitive understanding of the player by using known trends and patterns that are well established.

An easy example is the capacities, they are color-coded. When things are positive: it's green, when it's bad: it's red. We have a human tendency to impact meaning to color and thus it's a general rule of UX to never use Green and Red unless you are representing Good and Bad.

A quick glance at the capacities bar tells you all you need to know for the moment by color alone, and when you get its tooltip it continues such color coded summarization:
DD61_2.jpg

Have any of you who’ve seen streams or images noticed that this dynamic changes in regards to income? When your nation is in a deficit the balance can show either as white (neutral) or red (bad) in the capacity summary and there is an inherent reason for that?

We do not show a negative income balance as red until it reflects an unhealthy economy, but what do we mean by this? Nations run deficits all the time, but not all deficits are bad, especially those which are investments into the country such as construction. Construction is classified as a temporary national expenditure as opposed to a fixed one, meaning that we calculate your fixed revenue vs expenditure to be positive once the construction is finished, and we keep the income balance showing a neutral tone because of it.

This is to reflect that your money is going down, but the fundamentals are fine. What this allows you to notice is when this fundamental changes and turns red, signaling a larger issue of your economic fundamentals being out of balance that could cause future problems.

We may be losing money now but the fundamentals of the economy are okay if we ever stop building new factories…
DD61_3.jpg

This is a lot of what we have been trying to iterate on in Victoria 3 at this point in its development: we don’t want to just show you the static image of what’s going on just that moment but we want you to know the dynamic trends of where the data is going.

What do I mean by this? Well let me give you an example: see our buildings list (to make it clearer about what I am talking about I have gone with the minimized mode - didn’t know there was a minimized mode? Now you do!)

Behold the glorious minimized building menu and color-coded gold reserve bars.
(Bars are color coded on regular view as well)

DD61_4.jpg

Before cash reserves were only golden, and you would have to physically watch the bar tick along and hopefully notice the trend of your reserves. The data was still informative but you were only able to easily glance if your business had cash reserves (meaning it could afford a price disruption or could help supplement the investment pool). Now we use the historical data we would normally use to fill out a line graph to color the bar and add trend markers to show if the cash reserves is going up or down, coloring it green or red respectively.

Now at a quick glance you not only see how your economy is doing, but where it is going and you would be amazed at how significant such a small change can be. This is combined with our usage of red, white, and green to symbolize whether productivity is good or bad - to give you further depth of information: sugar industries in this picture are not failing but soon will be if you do not do something about it. Meanwhile the arms industry has stalled outright.

A lot of these data visualization changes, you might never see or notice, because when they work well their understanding becomes second nature, but here’s another one I want to call out: we recoloured the market summary tab:

Behold the new Market Panel, with corrected colors and balance bars to show the magnitude of the effect.
DD61_5.jpg

The older Market Panel, serviceable but flawed with its data presentation.
DD61_6.jpg

Okay we changed like 3 things, I hear you say - but why is that so damn important? I’m glad you asked that community strawman here’s why.

We removed the Red/Green visualization of the balance and by doing that we helped make our understanding of the market system clearer to the player. Remember, this is Victoria 3, imbalances are not inherently bad. Sometimes maintaining a shortage of a good can be done intentionally to prop up an industry or ensure the wealth of specific pops. (I went into the logic of why for this in my talk at PDXCON and if we are lucky at some point in the future I will get a copy of that up on the forums as well). We found that when we colored the items green/red we were inherently having players react in ways that they themselves found was not always good or what they wanted. In this case, this mostly meant players reacting to red numbers being “bad” and trying to make the number go green.

We also added balance bars, to help show you the magnitude of what those numbers mean in the scope of its total buy/sell volume and price scale. Can you tell from the old version above what the relative difference to your economy the liquor and sugar shortages are?). By giving more perspective on these offsets from equilibrium we help you better understand the cause and effect of your actions or most importantly; opportunity cost. If merely looking at high prices you might find yourself focusing on furniture or paper, but technically getting food prices lower is shown to have a larger impact on your economy, which is illustrated by the bars below the Balance values. The more blue or gold that bar is, the higher impact that Good’s imbalance has on your market. This impact may differ greatly per Good if it is good or bad, but that’s up to you to determine.

That’s just a few examples in the game of where we are iterating on data visualization. Mostly because these are the one’s I can easily remember and chat about. We are by no means done, Henrik, Aron and myself will continue in the trenches experimenting and iterating on such workflows throughout the game. We look forward to reading your feedback on release and use that to help us prioritize our backlog of ideas.

If you thought this dev diary was a sight to behold, just wait till you hear about the next one, which is the Audio of Victoria 3 which will be written by Franco Freda, our Head of Audio.

• 157Like
  • 50Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
This comment is reserved by the Community Team for gathering Dev Responses in, for ease of reading.

BlueNexus said:

Question - It pie charts are so bad, why are they used in-game instead of something like donut charts?
Because I'm told the fanbase would riot if we didn't allow them to make poor life choices.

Claudius84 said:

Aren't red and green a bad choice for people who are color blind?
You would be correct.
Its a good thing we have a colorblind mode which takes care of that for capacities and most numbers.

za3tarani said:

there should be a bar showing employment, not just how full the cash reserves are. this way, the player can expand a factory in this view directly rather than click on the factory to see if employment is full. for instance, textile mills has full cash reserve, but does it also have full employment? if no, then no need to expand it yet...

View attachment 886375
While I agree, there's a limited UX space and if we put a bar for everything we end up running out of UI room. We try and do Employment issues are currently shown by the pop and arrow symbols to the right of the building. You see when there is employees flocking to a building (golden icon) and when there is issues in hiring employees (either qualifications or wages as the red icon)

You also can tell when a building is at full employment because if it has full cash reserves its hightly likely its reached that status.
A building that is not at full employment will consider increasing wages or holding wages up to keep employment and you will see such changes in its cash reserves.

CaptinObvious said:

This feels like the devs just cut through the first wave of mandatory UI mods and just went "fine, I'll do it myself" on the UI.

I love it

We play the game too, and we like to have it be reasonable understandable :D

Traum77 said:

Are the market panel columns sortable? It is bugging me far more than it should that wood is in the sixth row instead of the third...
Yes they are sortable, we know exactly the kind of "this is bugging me" crowd our fanbase is.
Xain said:

Great DD, I love the changes, especially the ones in the market screen! And yeah, it's crazy how the change from green/red to golden/blue can have a huge semantic difference and influence the perception! I agree that, as a player, I would have gone for the "all green" instinctively. Well done!

Why are some good coloured in violet, green, yellow or brown?
Those colors correspond to the groupings of goods: Staple, Industrial, Luxury, Military, etc. Helps classify what the good is for and shows you what the filters remove.
anbeck said:

I've heard so much about these legendary PDXCON slides! I hope we can have a look at them eventually.
Patience, one day. Preferably closer to when its actually useful for you all as players.
Bobotov_kuk said:

Can you explain this please? One Proud Bavarian already tempted us with you unavailable powerpoint. Can you give an example so I can understand what you mean?

Also: iirc in the game having a deficit does not mean any pops/buildings lack the good there is too little of (which of course isn't realistic but alas). So am I correct in understanding you can safely preserve a shortage of say 10% of a certain good indefinitely to merely to drive up the price of yhat good without any ill effects (besides those caused directly by the higher price) ?
See above, I will have that talk posted sometime and maybe some other things for you all about that topic :D

OrlanthRex said:

Looks cool :) One visualization to consider that could be really helpful could be to add some small sparklines where there's space for them (these are simply small line graphs showing recent changes in important values like market price or cash reserves). These could be a great way to unobtrusively let players appreciate information about recent trends without overwhelming the interface. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkline , https://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001OR
I have spent 8 years of my professional life trying to get sparklines to work. I used to do them for regularly for doctors who had to make life decisions off of them.
I really don't want to add them to Victoria 3, I'd rather just make our tooltip in tooltip graphs better.

Hot take but sparklines are the pie charts of linear data.

Slaav said:

Re: balance bars, has anyone figured out how they're drawn and what they represent exactly ?

I think negative balances bars and positive balances bars use different formulas. The negative balance bar seems to represent balance*price : the higher the result, the longer the bar.

But it doesn't work when the balance is positive. Paper and... what looks like sugar ? (eighth row) both have similarily-sized bars despite giving very different numbers when using the above formula. So idk.

I may just be wrong about the negative balance formula tho.
Slaav said:

I'm not sure I understand what the Balance bars are supposed to represent. The number given is (Sell orders-Buy Orders), but I don't understand what the length of the bar means.
I will take a look at this in the morning. Since I am sick at home today and don't have the ability to pull up the code.
I think we are trying to do something smart with that formula and this is either proving:

There's a bug somewhere
We are trying to be so big brained smart, we've crossed the line into stupidity.
But as always, that's half the benefit of a dev diary :D

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
P.S. Hey Everyone! Paul here with a few other data visualization tidbits for you all. In the above dev diary I focused on in-game stuff but I also wanted to show you a few of the back-end data visualizations I use in my day to day when helping work on balance throughout the game. I find this very helpful in seeing the knock-on effects of proposed changes since so many of our systems are integrated.

Please remember that all numbers seen in pictures are WIP and some of these datatables are already out of date but still cool examples of what we use in our day to day.

How does one ensure that legitimacy across governments is reasonably balanced across all government types with party arrangements and multiple IGs? I prefer using a heat map:
image3.png

Just how does one balance the economy, even if they have a degree?
Well it may not look the sexiest visualization wise but I build a semi-automated tool to help summarize market problems worldwide based on debug dumps:
image4.png

While I’ve stolen this one from Mikael’s giant Pop Needs calculation sheet, this is our visual check that the numbers make reasonable sense in the end, here’s how pop consumption looks for Wealth levels 1-20
image1.png

Just a little data visualization peek behind the curtain for you all!

• 32Love
  • 18Like
Reactions:
Uh, why this is empty?

Edit: I'm sorry but is there something wrong with my browser? Usually when I have the time to see dev diaries, its already full of replies... but no reply here except from mine?

How angry is Paul really?

Reactions:
I see that some of the reserve bars in the new presentation are gold-colored, rather than being green or red: is there a reason for this?
It is in the actual diary (did you read it, :oops:) but the reasoning is that some of these numbers are not inherently good or bad so no green or red is used. They picked gold and blue as new "neutral" colors for positive and negative balances that are not necessarily good or bad.

Reactions:
An audio diary is fine but are we going to get a Tech/Performance diary for all the nerds out here? The more discussion about bottlenecks, threads/cores/locks, and hardware, the better.

Reactions:
What is the difference of simple and standard clothing in the goods consumption for wealth level 1-20 chart?
We know of standard clothing and luxuary clothing. Is simple clothing just cloth, so stuff can be sawed by dependets.

Great DD. In the future I would like to see scatter plots showing different variables for each nation for comparison. Especially for MP games they are great tools. For example:

1665073106940.png

• 10Like
  • 3Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Uh, why this is empty?
I think they accidentally shared it yesterday, then hid/archived it, and only now got it out in the open again, so people didn't see it as a new thread or something and maybe tweet/discord hooks didn't work

Reactions:
I think they accidentally shared it yesterday, then hid/archived it, and only now got it out in the open again, so people didn't see it as a new thread or something and maybe tweet/discord hooks didn't work

Almost all dev diaries are added to the forum ahead of time and only released to us on the day

Reactions:
"Well these points of data make a beautiful line~
And we're out of Beta we're releasing on time~
So I'm GLAD we got burned~
Think of all the things we learned~
For the people who are still alive~"

Anyway, I think one of the most important things is that this game is transparent. If I'm looking to make an alliance and another nation says no, I want to be able to know the how's and why's. Paradox is one of the best companies that does this and for that I'm happy.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Almost all dev diaries are added to the forum ahead of time and only released to us on the day
Yes but look at the time of this one, it seems to be posted yesterday unlike the other ones which were posted Thursday in the hour. I've been on the forum ten times or so since the date and hour this was "posted" but I didn't see it so it was hidden and that was unlike other diaries

This feels like the devs just cut through the first wave of mandatory UI mods and just went "fine, I'll do it myself" on the UI.

I love it

download (83).jpg

• 15Haha
  • 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions: