• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Developer Diary | Peace Conference Roundup

image (1).png

Hello all!
I join you to once again talk about peace conferences. This time we have more info on our changes and features that I was not able to go into last time. Most of these are coming as part of By Blood Alone.

Previously I talked about mostly the structure of the new Peace Conference system. If you have not read that Dev Diary, I recommend checking that out first. The short version is that we are reworking the old peace system into a new one that features simultaneous and blind turns, all conferences actions being contestable, and limited points to use in the conference.

Before we cover new stuff I also want to address some changes to the jargon we introduced last time. We considered changing “demands” to “bids” to fit with the new system. The previous dev diary talked at length about bids. We are instead now referring to all of these as “demands.”

Now for some new stuff! Firstly, I would like to show off our nearly complete UI with a comparison to the old UI.​

Nearly Finished PC UI
image3.png

Old PC UI
image4.png

[Edit: This old shot from the HoI wiki contains modded material. We're leaving it in since it was quoted, but please be aware.]
In the new system we have expanded the “Demands” portion to the entire left of the UI while moving all relevant information about victors or beneficiary nations to the right. Part of this was to make the menu more presentable, but another part of this was to handle what is now a more complex system of demands.

As part of By Blood Alone, we are adding five new types of demands to the peace conference. Four of these are a new type of “Additional Demand” which I will go into shortly. The other new demand is “Take Navy.” This will allow participants in the conference to use their participation points to demand enemy capitol ships as they would a single state. This means that players requesting the same ship will result in a contested claim. When the conference finishes, screen ships will be divided up amongst those who claimed capital ships based upon the ratio of capital ship industrial cost claimed. We attempted to find solutions to allow more precise claiming of non-capital ships, but were unable to arrive at a satisfactory interaction flow or a good way to fit it into the larger peace conference system.
Naval Demands being issued for the mighty Scharnhorst
image3.png

As mentioned previously, we now have “Additional Demands” These options all require an underlying demand of puppet or change government to have been applied to a state first. Secondary demands can be applied over the top of a normal demand during the same turn or any subsequent turn.

The first secondary demand we have is “Demilitirized Zone.” this prevents the target nation from placing troops in the selected state. This is a pretty classic part of many historical peace conferences and serves as a way of keeping troops off of borders.

DMZ option
image6.png

The next two secondary demands are both economic. These are “Resource Rights” and “War Reparations.” To make resolving contested demands fit into our system, both of these demands target single states. Resource Rights gives access to the resources in a state. War Reparations gives control of local civilian factories in a state. Both of these last for a period of time the length of which is still TBD.

Resource Rights and War Reparations options
image5.png

Our final new demand, coming with BBA, is “Dismantle Military Industry.” This will remove military factories from the targeted state. This can be used to tear down a heavily militarized state’s mic and help slow down re-militarization postwar.

Dismantle Military Option
image1.png

That’s all we have for today and I thank you for stopping by. Next week, we will be talking about modding. Stay tuned! o7​

Attachments

• image2.png
    image2.png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • image4.png
    image4.png
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 112Like
  • 58Love
Reactions:
This is best part of the entire update, hands down. You guys have done amazing work with this rework! I just hope you'll be able to see ship stats in the peace deal so you actually know what you're demanding. I'm also so glad you're expanding on the resource rights mechanic you implemented previously, I love when old neglected features get some attention.

Last edited:
  • 45Like
Reactions:
so theoretically speaking if we play as the germans and capitulate France, we could potentially demand to have all of the french fleet?

• 12Like
Reactions:
1) Let's say you are a communist power and have defeated a communist minor. If you puppet, can you retire the old leader so you don't have the same leader?
2) Will modders be able to add custom demands like Scripted diplomatic actions? IK next week is abou modding but can you give a little tease if they are? :3

• 17Like
Reactions:
Our final new demand, coming with BBA, is “Dismantle Military Industry.” This will remove military factories from the targeted state. This can be used to tear down a heavily militarized state’s mic and help slow down re-militarization postwar.​
Will this or any other option allow for the imposition of the Disarmed Nation conscription law or other forms of enforced demobilisation?

• 30Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Short and sweet, I like the philosophy of all these changes overall.
2 Quick questions about DMZs -
1) are they temporary/can they be violated in some manner (e.g. as it was in the Rhineland in 1936), and if yes, what might be the consequences
2) while I like it 100% from a flavor perspective, what practical implications are the devs envisioning - particularly from the victorious state? Especially given that most players would either just take a state outright or simply consider the game won at that point, what advantages would a DMZ offer in a more limited conflict?

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is great, I always felt that the old peace conference system could be cheated a little too much in single player and also failed quite often to have historically plausible outcomes. Now it seems much better, comprising the possibility to ask the defeated power capital ships, forced demilitarization and industry/resource use for the winner.

Interesting. The only way the extra options seem to make sense to me is if it's no longer necessary to capitulate countries or factions to get a peace deal, with AI willing to accept peace based on the current military situation, and obviously more willing to accept a peace involving the extra options than outright seizure of territory. Otherwise, you'd always be better off just puppeting or annexing all of a defeated country. I hope that's how this will work.

• 12Like
Reactions:
These are really cool. Thanks so much for revisiting peace conferences! A few questions

- Can defeated nations remove DMZs imposed upon them? Eg spending pp or waiting for a timer?

- Do DMZs also keep overlord troops out of the territory?

- Can players demand capital ships in general? Rather than say, I want the Bismarck just say, I want one heavy battleship?

- What changes have been made to how peace conference score is calculated? Edit. Will players get score for casualties inflicted rather than taken?

• 12Like
Reactions:
The only thing that concerns me is if there will be more options to 'sue for peace' during the conflict and not just fight to the end. Like Japan, if you are the allies at the end of a game. Or my personal favourite, if there can be events for peace, like after France fell in 1940 Churchill had to fight tooth and nail with lord Halifax to keep the country in the war and not sue for peace. This would be a great way to make the peace treaties more like EU4 which I do think are very good. Just means war does not have to be 'all in' especially with friends online. Otherwise looks amazing and keep it up!

• 7Like
Reactions:
how come the names of these countries (jordan, egypt, palestine?, british raj) changed to these endonyms such as filastin, masr and al-urdun? and why is communist americas name that of the csa from kaiserreich?

Attachments

• endonyms.PNG
    endonyms.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
May the gods bless you for the 'Take Navy' decision. You have made so many future conquerors of the UK/USA/Japan/France/Italy very happy indeed.

The other options are cool as well.

• 10Like
Reactions:
These demands are definitely going to bring a new dynamic and immersion to the game! But some questions:

1. How long does a state stay demilitarized? Will there be a decision to reenter this zone after a certain time? Or will there be a diplomatic action for asking to remilitarize?

2. How expensive will it now be to fully take over a state? Usually the war being won means an unconditional surrender, so why would a player bother dismantling industry or demilitarizing a state?

3. On the topic of unconditional surrenders, PLEASE implement conditional surrenders into the game. This way, nations can actually recover after a war or cut a war short (like taking falklands as argentina without having to take London)

Otherwise, looking great!

• 21Like
Reactions:
It's great to see further polishing of the peace conference system. The ability to demand naval ships is nice for those of us interested in the naval side of things. The resource rights might be especially interesting for those countries that start with limited oil resources. Poor Persia and Romania might be the target of some lightning early-game wars in future.

1) Let's say you are a communist power and have defeated a communist minor. If you puppet, can you retire the old leader so you don't have the same leader?
2) Will modders be able to add custom demands like Scripted diplomatic actions? IK next week is abou modding but can you give a little tease if they are? :3
Will this or any other option allow for the imposition of the Disarmed Nation conscription law or other forms of enforced demobilisation?
These are suggestions for new features disguised as questions. And not disguised very well, in my opinion. :p It might help to keep this thread on topic, and give these interesting ideas the space they deserve, if they were properly proposed over in the Suggestions subforum.

Nearly Finished PC UI
Old PC UI
When I first saw these lines, I thought, "If this is the PC UI, then that implies there's a console UI as well, which would be the first time that's been mentioned!" Then I realized that PC = peace conference, not personal computer..... D'oh!

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is a really cool idea, and I love it! However, it is exploitable. I will be naming my cheap ships "apocalypse" or some other a name such as that! While my good ships will now be called "fluffy bunny" and "puppy in a wagon."

• 15Haha
Reactions:
Wonderful update, so many new options. This'll be so much fun to toy with.

• 1Like
Reactions: