• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Developer Diary | Division Commanders & Unit Medals

image (9).png
Greetings all!

Welcome back to today’s feature dev diary on a series of interconnected subsystems being added to the game in By Blood Alone.

One of the major points in my first roadmap dev diary was that I felt quite strongly about the inclusion of further roleplay and immersive elements in Hearts of Iron. What I’ll be showing off today is intended to fulfill a small part of this bullet point.

Those of you with keen memories will recall an early teaser I posted here. Some of you guessed correctly, and in BBA, we’ve introduced a dynamic system for naming battleplans. For many major nations, battleplan names can be provided through a list of locations, resulting in a historical series of operation tags which will be applied when plans are created:​
image4.png

Of course, the war does not always proceed historically, and battleplan names can also be generated from several component lists for instances where a historical variant cannot be found. These name lists are fully moddable, and can be unique to countries. In some cases (ie; Soviet Union) a different naming convention can be utilized to represent the somewhat uninventive approach to naming operations that was used in reality:​
image3.png

Naturally, in the spirit of roleplaying, these operation names can be modified in-game, and you can replace the text with whatever operation name you desire. This will apply to any sub-orders derived from the initial drawn line:​
image7.png

If unset, naval landing and paradrop orders will have a unique pattern to remain unique.

This system however, goes further than a simple naming convention, and ties into another addition being made to BBA.

Division Commanders

In BBA, we’re replacing the standard method of recruiting new generals out of thin air. Instead, every division will be created with a commanding officer upon game start, or when they are trained:​
image1.png

These are predominantly generated from country-specific namelists, however in some cases we have set these individually for starting divisions. When a new unit is created, they will be provided a randomly generated character name and portrait. To accommodate the increased use of generic portraits for these, we’ll be adding a large quantity of additional generic portraits for owners of BBA. The work involved in creating these is not insignificant, so for now we’ve limited ourselves in adding portraits to major nations only.

You’ll be able to get an overview of all division commanders in your army within the officer corps screen:​
image5.png

In an effort to avoid unnecessary micromanagement, we’ve made a few important decisions. Division commanders themselves will not directly confer bonuses upon the divisions they command, however the divisions they command will now earn and log a record of important actions they may perform during the natural course of a campaign:​
image6.png

Important actions such as taking a capital, securing a high-value victory point, and more, constitute actions for which a unit can be awarded a medal. It is expected that over the course of a campaign, many units will qualify for receiving medals, often several - the system is not driven by scarcity, as we do not intend for players to micromanage individual actions, rather to manage the macro-level step of choosing when and what to award their units.​
image2.png

As mentioned above, division commanders will not explicitly confer bonuses, however the medals awarded for action will. Medals are intended to act as a pp sink for the mid-late game, as we find a lot of players tend to end up with a significant amount of this resource as decisions, advisors and focuses begin to dwindle.

Units can receive multiple medals, however the cost for each will increase as more are granted to any given unit, and the effect of stacking specific medals will decrease per instance of the same effect.

As you will note above, medals can be specific to countries, and we’ve included a series of generic medals based on alignment, as well as unique medal sets for each major country. A medal’s effects will only extend to the unit it belongs to.

A medal’s name and description will in most cases be dynamic depending on what action it was awarded for, and extreme valor while on a specific named operation can also result in receiving a medal for that action.

To further streamline the process of awarding medals, you can perform quick actions to do this through the officers entry in the corps screen:​
image13.png

As mentioned previously, we’re removing the old method of recruiting generals by means of reaching into the void and plucking out a fully qualified officer. This means that your army generals will now be directly linked to your field of divisional officers, and their capability directly linked to their actions in the field.

Divisional officers will store experience based on the experience gain of the unit they are commanding, as well as receiving a lump-sum when a medal is awarded. While active as a divisional officer, this experience will have no meaningful effect, however, when in need of a new army general, you can promote divisional commanders out of their divisional role and directly into their new role as a general.

Any medals awarded to the division will be retained by that division, however, the newly created general will keep a reference to their awarded medals as a means of remembering their accomplishments in the line of duty (albeit with no direct effect on their new army - although we’ve elected to support this behavior for modders should they wish):​
image9.png

When a divisional officer is promoted this way, the experience they have earned during the course of their field command will be applied to their experience level as a general (up to a maximum cap). Promoting someone with field experience can prove a lot more valuable than hiring another pen-pusher, after all. If they have earned at least a certain quantity (as yet undecided) of field experience, they will also begin with a personality trait corresponding to the type of division they were commanding (armor officer, infantry officer, etc).

Unit Cohesion

You will also note that my roadmap included a wish to improve the battleplanner. While this is likely to be a slow, iterative process, BBA heralds the inclusion of a new frontline parameter intended for advanced users.​
image8.png

The Cohesion parameter can be set on any root frontline order, and will affect how the unit controller places divisions across that frontline. The default setting of ‘Flexible Cohesion’ functions as you have grown to expect - all units will be evaluated for placement suitability and potentially relocated to fill perceived gaps in frontline cohesion.​
image14.png

Balanced Cohesion’ will only successfully evaluate units that are within a defined distance from the target (distances are moddable). In practice, this results in less unit shuffling along frontlines, but should still ensure that frontlines respond to changes in size and shape.​
image11.png

The final setting, ‘Rigid Cohesion’ is intended primarily for long defensive lines, and will only successfully evaluate unit positions that are within a very short distance from the target location. In practice this results in relocations only taking place to neighboring provinces, and can result in gaps being created in frontlines if left unattended. It is expected that this setting will be used by players who primarily rely on micromanagement of frontlines.

The AI will make use of flexible and balanced cohesion settings depending on the ratio of divisions:frontline length, but will avoid the use of rigid cohesion.

It is worth noting that units that are not placed directly on the frontline (having been left behind or recently added to an order instance) will not be subject to the same cohesion restrictions, and will make use of strategic relocation to find themselves a new place on the frontline. Additionally, the cohesion setting will be respected regardless of whether an order is being executed or not.

Modding

For those of you interested in modding, the addition of these subsystems also comes with some new tools regarding units. It is now possible to iterate over unit arrays in states and countries by condition, and apply a series of effects, including the awarding of medals, history entries, and other basic parameters such as affecting org, strength, and more. For performance reasons, units do not currently support storing or being stored as variables, though we will monitor the need for, and performance implications of doing this in future (I SEE YOU EaW).

Predefined divisions can be set up with lists of historical commanders that they will draw from when their current commander if replaced, should you wish to opt for extreme historical fidelity.​
image10.png

The visual display ranks of divisional commanders correspond to their gained experience, and are fully customizable, though confer no gameplay effect.

Medals themselves can be added to the medal array based on arbitrary conditions, and support a variety of modifiers, not all of which are represented in our vanilla use-cases.

Name combinations can also be split from various random lists, if you have a particular penchant for randomly generated names.
image12.png

That’s all for now, tune in next week for a second look at how peace conferences are progressing!​

Attachments

• image7.png
    image7.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
  • image12.png
    image12.png
    18,5 KB · Views: 0
  • image (7).png
    image (7).png
    374,4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
  • 133Like
  • 96Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Developer Replies Here:

FerdX said:
Some Generals and Marshals that we have at the beginning of the Game historically had medals before 1936. Will these be implemented ? (For example Gamelin had the Legion d'Honneur since 1913, etc...)

No, as these would have no effect on army generals.

Mashiro Kurata said:
mod developers can edit the gender ratio of division commanders that are randomly generated? mod in a particular era (example: 21st century) may require female division commanders.

Not currently, our generic portrait system doesn't handle this very well, but it is on my todo list.

BubblesZestje said:
Has this has lagged the game in your testing? I can imagine the game struggling to keep up since it's calculating hundreds of new generals and their medals.

Any performance impact should be unnoticeable. These 'characters' are not actually characters until you promote them.

IndigoRage said:
Can we get an example of one of these procedurally generated medals you're talking about?

To be clear, I mean the description of the medal will correspond to the action you awarded it for:

1660139728916.png

It is also possible to reference any of the location or string variables in the title of the medal, though we have not done so.

Ironside112 said:
This is unironically my favourite stuff so far, the changes and improvements to RP factors are amazing! Some smaller questions regarding the commanders and medals however:

Do the new divisional commanders now exist in the characters folder for each nation? and how do medals interact with cross-ideology nations? The British medals depicting monarchs might look a little out of place for a communist run!

No, in the interests of performance, divisional commanders are not explicitly set up as characters until you promote them to an army general. As such, giving them specific portraits is also not possible at the moment.

Available medals can be arbitrarily changed based on gamestate conditions by modders. We have elected not to do so for countries with unique sets, mostly for balance reasons (effects differ).

onboardbasil said:
Will some historical starting generals be demoted to division commanders?

We thought about doing this, but decided it would materially effect players' expectations at game start, as well as changing quite a lot of starting balance.

DonjonMaster said:
What happens when you delete a division? Does the field commander stick around for reassignment, or do you lose him unless he's promoted first?

if a division is destroyed or deleted, their regimental history and commander are both burned at a ritual bonfire.

IndigoRage said:
Do medals mean it's functionally possible to have an "elite" division stays special even if it's ground down back to green?

Yes.

Jochen_Mongolia said:
Great leap for battle micromanagement. As Divisional commanders are back in the game why not create Corps level OOB?

Divisions=> Corpses=> Armies=> Army Groups/Fronts

Thank you for bringing back the Divisional Commanders. Can't wait the release of BBA.

I.. becau... no.

IndigoRage said:
What happens when a division is deleted or destroyed. Will specific officers be able to be taken prisoner at some point? atm an entire army can get encircled and then the officer pops back into existence in the home nation's deck of cards.

Division commanders can't be reassigned from division to division - they have no unique statistics, and allowing this would be a lot of extra micromanagement for no material gain.

pepepelotas said:
will changing template reset the division's medals?

No.

IndigoRage said:
Yeah, for example can I get the fuel use medal and then change an infantry division to an armor division to save on resources?

Theoretically yes, but armor divisions have access to the same medals, so I don't see that you'd gain or lose much doing it this way.

Coach Bud Kilmer said:
Will division commander portraits always draw a random portrait, or can they be assigned specific portraits? If not, will we be able to mod so that historical names can make their appropriate historical portrait? I ask because I think the 2d art in this game is phenomenal, but I find an overdose of 'attack of the clones' portraits immersion breaking. I understand that your artists can't make an Hoi3-number of custom division portraits, but it would be nice to reduce the generic ones and have more historic ones when possible.

Also, will No Step Back officer bonuses will be applied once generals are promoted to army commanders?

Interesting post and looking forward to seeing how it works out in the finished dlc.

As mentioned above, this is currently not supported. It is high on my wishlist, but due to the nature of how they're created, is not trivial.

NSB officer bonuses will be applied on any promotion (including have fixed a bug that didn't roll for extra stat gain when a general starts at higher than level 1).

AGALG said:
Does this mean all mods will be retroactively forced to use the character system?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Detropat said:
@Arheo Does the new medal mechanics affect the way general can be grinded to obtain traits? If so, how does it impact the current known subsystem? :)

Not really, though this can be modded in, to an extent.
Land0fCotton said:
This is perfect. I really love this. And feel that stuff like this is what this game has been missing.

will commanders be able to be killed? If not I’d like to strongly encourage y’all to consider making that a possiblity

It would be possible, but drawing attention to it in a non-annoying way would be difficult.

T80U said:
Looks exploitable - is it protected from abuse of taking and then leaving a city, again and again for farming awards?
And it strongly favors big divisions, since 30PP is pricey for 20-30 width, but okay for 60+. So making ultrawide panzers is in fashion again.
Still no corps level command tho.

Yes, this is protected against. Ultimately it is your choice to award medals to high width or low width divisions. Players tend to utilize some strong pushing divisions, and I expect this is where the majority of medals will land. I'm ok with that.

Dsingis said:
I am confused. You claim you didn't want to introduce micromanagement, and yet we have to manually assign medals to each and every single divison out there. How is that not a micromanagement hell? Seriously, am I missing something here? If my army consists of 200 divisions, how exactly will I not spend hours assessing who to assign medals to?

How am I not incentivized to relocate a specific division I want a medal for to a specific location, so they can earn a medal? Unless I am missing something, this seems like so much micromanagement hell, I am baffled, honestly.

And the bonuses are not insignificant. 7.5% breakthrough? Hell yes. I want that on my tank divisions. So what do you think I'm going to do? Exactly, I will micro every single of my tank divisions to partake in a special operation so they can earn a medal. I will manually go through all my tank divisions to see who has and who hasn't got a medal yet, and then send them off to somewhere special to earn a medal.

Seriously, tell me if I am misunderstanding this, because as it seems, you are doing the exact opposite of what you claim (as in not wanting to introduce micromanagement)

The button cannot hurt you. You don't have to click it.

As I pointed out quite early on, this system is not designed to be bottlenecked on medal availability. If you want to spend your pp on a medal for your pushing division, you will probably be able to, provided it has been engaged in combat for a little while. The bonuses these grant are subject to diminishing returns - once you've got a few for your main divisions, you likely don't need to keep coming back.

If this is still too much for your tastes, that's ok.

PurpulaPhoenixum53 said:
This looks really good! Some questions:

- How will some of the Officer Corps interact with the field officers? If I have the officer corp spirit "Academy Scholarships" will it be cheaper to promote my field officers to generals?

- Can we posthumously award metals to officers that have been "killed" off in an encirclement?

- Could we see some of the other nation specific metals and their bonuses?

Generals KIA will not be recorded currently. We've added a new military spirit for NSB & BBA owners that makes it cheaper to award medals, as well as reducing the division experience hit when a general is promoted.
Some of the available medals (UI wip):

1660140685099.png

1660140725413.png

1660140764128.png

And my personal favorites from our superb artist:

1660140791225.png

DaredevilGR said:
Very, very interesting!

I have some questions, if possible. Thanks in advance!

1. Will we get a "Modding Changes" dev diary similar to what we got for the NSB DLC?
2. Is it possible to make division commanders die/retire? Not necessarily in combat automatically, but through commands.
3. Can we assign and reassign division commanders? For example, if commander A is a monarchist and we want to assign a fascist, is this possible through modding?

1. There will be a modding DD
2. IIRC, yes via modding
3. In theory via modding, yes.
batt1066 said:
In regards to there being no bonus for generals who have earned medals as officers, would it be possible instead, that any general who earned a medal(s) previously gain a small boost to exp gain, to represent their prowess and experience. Nothing too powerful or strong, but still rewarding players for using game mechanics

Awarding a medal to a divisional commander increases the experience they'll start with when they're promoted to a full army commander, in addition to any they earned in combat.
Nor William said:
This mean if we have 200 division we will have 200 officer! OMG late game will bemome nightmare for my cpu.

No
IndigoRage said:
This point doesn't feel all too convincing since they are retained on army generals promoted from divisional commanders as well despite having no effect on generals. They're already basically flavor that's meaningless mechanically.

I don't think all flavor has to come with stat buffs. The reason we didn't was because it was extraordinarily OP, but the option is still there if modders want to experiment.
IndigoRage said:
Clearly I've misunderstood something, but I was under the impression the medals became null flavor when a division commander was promoted and I was operating under that assumption.

On the general, yeah, it just remains as a record of what they did when they were a divisional commander. We could of course just... not do this, but personally I like to see my Generals' records preserved. The medals and the effects of those medals remain on the unit they commanded though, so you're not losing them by promoting someone.

megamanx06 said:
Will promoting commanders to generals have the same cost as recruiting them currently does (i.e. scaling cost based on the current number of generals)?

Yes.

Tehrozer said:
Is the cost of awarding medals moddable? A lot of mods already have a lot of ways to spend political power and it would be more fitting to have them either be of lower cost or use other resource entirely. Also can certain medals have a entirely unique cost? It would be nice to have some special medals that give unique bonuses but also require you to spend more.

Currently the costs are fixed to PP, though the individual cost of medals can be changed based on type, as well as the scaling cost factor. You can also remove the cost entirely via modding if you wish.
zoltarian said:
Would it be possible to disable this and use the old system for modding, Atleast as a temporary measure?

The old system will be present for players without BBA.
SacremPyrobolum said:
It's not clear to me; are we awarding medals to generals, units, or both?

And divisional commander's stats don't effect the performance of that division at all except for the medals they've been awarded (or was awarded to their units)?

Why not let division commander stats buff their divisions?

This is intentionally vague, so I understand the confusion. Narratively speaking, they are awarded to the commander and the division, for a specific act. If we removed their effects when a general was promoted, there'd be really no reason you'd ever want to promote a general. Thus, the medals and their effects stay active on a unit when the general is promoted, and the general retains a reference to the medals they earned while commanding that unit (ie, not including any medals earned under a previous commander).

Division commanders do not have stats to apply to their division, so I'm not sure what you are referring to here. They are not army generals until promoted away from their unit.
Rebelsj21 said:
how about ships and planes? Will similar systems of individual squad leaders/ship commanders be introduced aswell?

Currently no. Not ruling it out for the future though.
IndigoRage said:
To clarify, what I thought you were responding to was the question of whether the game's default starting generals would have their historical medals from their past service at game start. Not about the divisions themselves at game start.

Understood. It might tehcnically be possible to do this, but at this stage I can't promise anything. There are a lot of starting generals.
Very interesting.

If you are looking at battle plans and the like - please, please add a button or a setting or whatever to make units ignore the "I will stop now because moving forward and fulfilling my orders will create a low supply situation".

'Careful' execution status will respect supply in the way you describe.
As a final note on the topic of micromanagement, this UI:

1660146088402.png

allows you to manage every aspect of the new divisional command system. If you want a new commander, it is the same number of clicks as previously. If you want to award medals to tank corps ie, you can sort by type, and 'quick award' to the first awardable entry in that commander's list.

You do not need to find specific units or look at their individual panels.

Basileus2 said:
Question - for unit cohesion, what is meant by 'only reshuffle units based on defined distances from the target'. What target are we talking about and what defines the distance from said target (specifically what is the difference in the 'defined difference' between flexible / balanced / rigid)?

Hard to explain this in player terms, but: every province along an order instance is evaluated periodically to determine if it needs more divisions. If it does, it'll iterate over the units in the armies assigned to that section of the order instance and evaluate if it a) is allowed to be reassigned to the potential destination and b) what its relevant scoring factor is in relation to that destination.

In the 'old' method (Flexible Cohesion), the unit with the highest (or lowest, I can't remember) score will then be assigned to move to the province in need of a unit. This meant that for frontlines without a zillion divisions, the 'best' scoring unit could still be absolutely miles away. In simple terms, the stricter cohesion settings apply a distance cutoff after which units will no longer be evaluated, and the weights for distance have been changed to be more impactful. There are some additional load balancing parts to it that encourage spreading out, but those are the broad strokes.

Distance in frontline terms is evaluated as a straight-line pixel-to-pixel approximation between two or more nodes. Full pathfinding is rarely used for high-frequency calculations like this.

wisecat said:
Can you please revise the system so that historical divisions are first raised with historical commanders? Or at least make this moddable.
I am sure Paradox probably has no time to find all the historical "at creation" commanders for all division-size units of WW2, but the community probably does.

As I detailed, this is supported and can be added to with modding.

wisecat said:
Some more questions:
1. Do I understand correctly that the only way to replace a divisional commander is to promote him or to lose the division via destruction or dessolution?

Yes.

wisecat said:
2. What will happen if 2 or more divisions are amalgamated (not sure that I use the term correctly, but that situation where you click a button to make 1 stronger division out of 2 or more beaten-up wrecks).

Still to be handled.

wisecat said:
4. Will units sent as expeditionary troops earn medals? BTW - please make deployment of units to SCW faster.

They can earn medals normally, yes. For a brief period during implementation, generals sent to the spanish civil war would become Spanish, adopt a Spanish name, and receive cosmetic surgery. We elected not to retain this behaviour.
Gracz said:
Will it be possible to turn off officer portraits? Will it be possible to turn off the Officers feature in the game options?

You can disable BBA to remove the feature, yes.

Colosso95 said:
I have a question about promoting generals from unit commanders;

Let's say I have a "1st infantry division" and I do a bunch of fighting with it until it and its commander have quite a lot of xp and a few medals; then I promote this unit's commander to a general which will let him start at a higher level than normal thanks to the xp he gained while commanding the division.
Will the division lose xp in the process?

Currently yes, losing their commanding officer will reset the division's field experience to 0. Jury's still out on this, as it is perceived that this is quite a harsh penalty, although it can be offset with a new Military Spirit for the NSB officer corps system. In practice we'll probably tune this down to be a bit less absolute.

Colosso95 said:
If it does then does it depend on how much xp the unit reached? Let's say the unit reached Veteran level and then I promote the division's commander to a general; does it lose a certain fixed amount of xp? or does it go back to regular?

As above.
naq29 said:
will there be a similar system for ship captains?

No, this was sadly well beyond the scope for this release. Not ruling it out for future.
Dsingis said:
But that's the issue. If I have a bunch of important divisions, then this system incentivized me to micromanage these divisions, so that every single one participated in some event so I can give them medals. And if I don't do that, then I am worse off.
If I want to play this game optimally, then I have to micromanage these divisions to get these medals.

This is something, for example, that happens in MMOs like World of Warcraft. If there is an optimal way to play the game, then players will play the game like this, even if it is an objectively worse experience, more boring or tedious, than the devs intended. Happens all the time.

Sure I can play without medal micromanagement, I can also play without a navy if I don't like it, then my experience would be objectively worse with paratooper spam everywhere for example.

It's not that any system forces me at gunpoint to use these medals, it's that this system exists and using it is objectively better, thus passively forcing me, if I want to play optimally, to use it. For multiplayer games, this will be a micro-nightmare, I can guarantee that.

I would note that it also isn't a problem that MMO developers have found a solution for. You're right, of course, if there's an optimal way to play, some will search for it - that might even be why they play. Many won't, however. You can't truly avoid a 'meta', because at some point, metas and strategies or optimal vs sub-optimal play becomes self-reinforcing. I know of no game which is perfectly balanced, and I know many of our fans take joy in searching for optimums.

What you can do, is mitigate. Accepting that while some players might use features tangentially to the way they were intended, and mitigating the effects of that. We have done this in large part by adding quick actions, batch actions, resource & time bottlenecks, etc. In effect, you're complaining that we haven't made it easier to take advantage of the system, and I think you'll find after using it that the resource bottleneck is actually the most significant anti-micro thing there, despite being a footnote. Awarding medals simply isn't an action we expect players to be taking every 2 minutes. Save them up and do them in batch at some point the same way you apply general traits... use the military spirit and make it the core of your campaign... there are options.

It is not, as you say, an 'objectively worse experience' unless you set your bar so high that it becomes that. We've provided mitigation, and I'm absolutely not above adding more if this becomes something that a significant number of people find genuinely consider arduous.

Aeronautico said:
I wonder, is it not somewhat more practical to make these portraits randomised in their components as well, say setting a few different poses, same with outfits, same with facial hair/colour, same with presence of glasses, same with skin tone, etc? Literally thousands of new quality portraits would be generated out of, my assumption, a relatively simple system to program that would require less time and resources than creating hundreds of individual portraits alone, and would be applicabile to each and every nation in the game. I know nothing about coding so there's that.

We tried that with the LaR spy portraits. Mixed results, and in each case these had to be stitched together by artists rather than done procedurally.
DukofDeth said:
@Arheo Earlier [much earlier] there was mention of something akin to a theater reserve system - I'm not sure if it was one of the first Developer Corners for BBA or perhaps it was back at the start of the NSB Developer Diaries - but the idea [as I understood it] was that there was to be a way for a theater to retain a reserve of units that could be reassigned by the battleplanner AI to fill gaps in lines as well as to reinforce against invasions.

I realize I may be mistaken about this but I was wondering if that idea [or whatever was similar to it] was still something being worked on or was it canceled? I recall there was a screenshot of unit deployments with a lot of units being held in some manner of strategic reserve - all of which was displayed as red dots on the map

This was added in NSB, but needs a lot of expansion to make a noticeable difference. We haven't forgotten it :)
Argerius said:
You said that units whose commanders are promoted will retain thier buffs from medals, but does that mean that the new commanding officer starts with the same medal? Afterall the division has the buff, if I understand correctly.

No, the new commander will not inherit old commander's medals, however the old medals will still exert an effect upon the unit.
Sphere_me said:
love this. so if I have several battleplan (aggressive line) on soviet border as Germany, will all of them be name operation Barbarossa? main question is can multiple operation has same name if they focus same frontline?

Yes, however this behaviour can be toggled in defines.

Argerius said:
So, the next obvious question for me is, can we stack buffs from medals? Like getting the same medal for two field commanders for one division.

Yes, however the effects will decrease per medal of the same type added.

PancuterM said:
This was probably asked already but what happens to division that already exist at game start? Will they get random commanders every time you play? Or will they get the historical ones

This is one of those 'with what time remains' tasks.
fighting_falcon93 said:
Sounds interesting. Some questions and thoughts:

1. Do I have to use the battle planner in order to get these medals? Currently I prefer to not use any orders at all (not even defensive lines) and instead control all units manually. Yes, it's quite a lot of management, but it allows me to control the units in a way that would never be possible with the battleplanner. It would be quite sad to miss out on these medals though?

No, there are many that do not require the use of the battleplanner, and one that does.

fighting_falcon93 said:
Maybe a better option would be to treat the division and the commander as separate entities in terms of experience? They both earn experience at the same rate but they can have a varying experience level?

That is already the case
eastcoastceojam said:
Overall, I love this DD and all the new mechanics. But, I'm curious how the new way of recruiting generals will interact with National Spirits that improve the cost/quality of newly recruited generals.

For example, this focus on the Portugal tree is a nice one, since they have so few generals at game start, and it costs a lot to recruit all the generals you'll need to to Macau my Day. I typically try to hold off recruiting new generals as Portugal until I've completed this focus, so I can get the maximum benefit out of this National Spirit.

Will these general recruitment National Spirits still work in a similar way in the new BBA DLC?

Yes, no changes there. You'll still benefit from any spirits etc.

Amberle said:
Also will the mountaineers finally prioritize mountains when using the battle planner?

We actually had this plugged in during testing for NSB. The results were not good - the idea sounds fine in theory, but when frontlines change, your specialist divisions either need to stay put and be useless in order to not go walkabout, or they end up relocating enormous distances to the next mountain.

You can weight things to act semi-sensibly, but the practical outcome of that is that the functionality very rarely gets exercised.
T Knight said:
What happens when divisions change template, do they lose medals? Suggestion for a medal effect: Dvision conserves more experience when changes template.

Currently no.

Dazzer_ said:
Do divisions sent as expeditionary forces retain their native country commanders?

Yep

The system should now support female divisional commanders and defining historic portraits.
Live2014 said:
Yes I love it sooooooo much ^^ pls keep it up

but is it possible that you can give the generals that have earned medals as an officer a part of the bonus of the medal like 3% attack etc.? that would be great and immersive while rewarding players for training and grinding generals :)
We tried this during iteration, and the functionality still exists for modders, however we elected not to continue with that approach for balance reasons.
withche.07 said:
Can we rename officers? Sorry if already answered.

No

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Important question, for italy you showed that you can award the order of savoy, but that was specific of the house of savoy and thus the monarchy, what would happen if italy become a republic or it become comunist?

• 23Like
Reactions:
I frickin love these RP elements. Bravo, guys and gals!

Question - did you dip into the vast array of divisional generals from the HoI3 files at all? I feel like there's probably enough there to minimise the need for randomly generated generals for at least the majors.

Last edited:
  • 14Like
Reactions:
Some Generals and Marshals that we have at the beginning of the Game historically had medals before 1936. Will these be implemented ? (For example Gamelin had the Legion d'Honneur since 1913, etc...)

• 38Like
Reactions:
mod developers can edit the gender ratio of division commanders that are randomly generated? mod in a particular era (example: 21st century) may require female division commanders.

• 13Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This citations/medals system looks incredible! The immersion will get reinforced for sure.

I just hope you put correct names and for all the reworked nations, not only for GER/USA/RUS..

• 4Like
Reactions:
Has this has lagged the game in your testing? I can imagine the game struggling to keep up since it's calculating hundreds of new generals and their medals.

• 28Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This is unironically my favourite stuff so far, the changes and improvements to RP factors are amazing! Some smaller questions regarding the commanders and medals however:

Do the new divisional commanders now exist in the characters folder for each nation? and how do medals interact with cross-ideology nations? The British medals depicting monarchs might look a little out of place for a communist run!

• 16Like
Reactions:
This is awesome, I'm so excited for this!! Just to double check though, the medal system will be available for all countries, but for now only majors are getting more generic portraits? Will you also be adding to the generic names list as well??

I also noticed the shifting around of items in the Officer Corps, namely the location of the General and Admiral buttons. Any chance we will be able to also manage our aces from the Officer Corps tab?

Reactions:
The work involved in creating these is not insignificant, so for now we’ve limited ourselves in adding portraits to major nations only.

In that case , do all minors share a portrait pool? some can have quite a number of divisions

Reactions:
Great leap for battle micromanagement. As Divisional commanders are back in the game why not create Corps level OOB?
Can we have SS divisions special 3D sprite pack now?

Divisions=> Corpses=> Armies=> Army Groups/Fronts

Thank you for bringing back the Divisional Commanders. Can't wait the release of BBA.

• 14Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
What happens when a division is deleted or destroyed. Will specific officers be able to be taken prisoner at some point? atm an entire army can get encircled and then the officer pops back into existence in the home nation's deck of cards.

• 14Like
Reactions: