• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #50 - Living Map

16_9.jpg

Hello again everyone! This week, as promised, I’ll be showing you a lot more of the visual elements of the map and how it evolves over the course of time and through your influence.

The Living Map has many different elements to it that adds both a bit of flavor and life in the world of Victoria 3, I’ll be going over some of the main elements in their current state to give you all some insight.

Hub Expansion
The most important and noticeable aspect that the world is progressing are your Hubs, as you reach certain thresholds of buildings (both production, government and residential ones) your cities will expand with the corresponding buildings. When it comes to the residential buildings they all have three different tiers of wealth within each culture set, the higher tiers are automatically activated upon reaching a higher Standard Of Living for the Pops of that Hub. To further amplify this change of SOL and to provide some more motion around hubs we have an effect that indicates either an increase or decrease with a construction hammer and anvil that either hardens or breaks.

Small Hubs
DD50 01.gif

DD50 02.gif

Large Hubs
DD50 03.gif

DD50 04.gif

Decrease in SOL
DD50 05.gif

Increase in SOL
DD50 06.gif

Vehicles
Traversing the roads, seas and even skies of the game we have made quite a few vehicles that breathe life into the world. These are unlocked by research, adjusting your Production Methods and building specific buildings. The most fundamental one being a horse carriage that traverses the dirt roads of connected Hubs, with specific research you can instead have cars putter along the roads! If regular roads are too simple for you there are also a bunch of different trains for when you’ve researched railroads, old locomotives can turn into electric ones and steel railway cars can also be applied.

We’ll get there, eventually
DD50 07.gif

Traveling in style
DD50 08.png

Old locomotive
DD50 09.png

DD50 10.gif

Electric trains
DD50 11.png

DD50 12.gif

DD50 13.gif

But land is not the only place where vehicles make an appearance, in the seas and along the shipping lanes you’ll be able to see cargo ships traveling! These range from simple clippers to steamships, depending on what you’ve researched and what sort of Production Methods you’re utilizing.

Trade ships
DD50 14.png

DD50 15.gif

DD50 16.gif

Last but not least we look to the skies where you’ll be able to see Zeppelins soaring through the air when skyscrapers have been built and act as anchoring points for the massive airships.

Soaring through the skies
DD50 17.gif

Military and War
When conflict inevitably brews and wars break out there are lots of ways we show those effects on your Hubs and surrounding terrain. When gearing up for war your troops will be determined by what you’ve researched and the Production Methods of your Barracks. You can look at what troops you have in your Garrison at any time, but upon entering a battle they (the most advanced unit) will be visible on the map where battle takes place, facing off against the opponents troops. Depending on what weapons you’ve equipped your units with, different effects will show, so even a Mobile Artillery unit has different kinds of shots.

Beautiful illustrations for your troops
DD50 18.png

Bunker fire
DD50 19.gif

Flamethrowers!
DD50 20.gif

Let's play battleship!
DD50 21.gif

When a region has been ravaged by war and a lot of battles you will start to see the effect of that on the region where it has happened through Devastation. The dynamic Devastation affects a variety of parameters for the region, its trade, Pops and Hubs. It also visually shows, not just by tearing up the surrounding terrain but also muddles rivers and burns buildings, the extent of this increases the more battles are fought in the same region.

Devastation (sped up)
DD50 22.gif

Devastation at a Hub
DD50 23.gif

Also, if you really need additional troops you can activate your conscription centers (if you’ve got access to them) which forces a lot of people to sign up. We make sure to show this as well, through an effect on your Hubs where conscripts are being drafted.

Production and Pops
In addition to expanding your city Hubs, you’ll also be able to affect the world with mining, farming and forestry Hubs. Trees will be cut down in close proximity to your forestry Hubs, farms will cultivate the earth and ground will be excavated close to your mines, leaving visible impact on the terrain.

Forestry Hubs and their effect
DD50 24.png

Farm Hubs and their growth
DD50 25.png

Mining Hubs effect on the world
DD50 26.png

With increased production and industrialization within your country and Hubs we are also giving you a purely visual reminder that the world will be affected by that as well. The visual Pollution will see more smokestacks rising from your hubs as well as the surrounding terrain becoming tarnished. All for the sake of progress right?

Smokestacks coming from a Hub
DD50 27.gif

Pollution affecting a larger area
DD50 28.png

However, if your people don't like the way things are progressing they will show their displeasure through turmoil, and if you don’t correctly address their concerns you might find yourself with a revolution on your hands. Turmoil will just be a bit of anger brewing in the form of puffs of displeasure while revolution will have flags of opposition being raised in your hubs.

Let the flags of revolution rise!
DD50 29.gif

Buildings
As previously mentioned, you’ll get zeppelins traversing the skies upon building skyscrapers, and while these behemoths of buildings will tower over the rest in your city Hubs there are still Monuments like the Eiffel Tower that will be even stronger indicators that your cities are growing beyond the point of the regular buildings.

The different skyscrapers for each culture set
DD50 30.png

DD50 31.png

DD50 32.png

DD50 33.png

They also blink!
DD50 34.gif

That should give you all a glimpse into the life of the world map! There are things we would love to explore more in the future but I feel we’ve got a great foundation going that we’d love to hear ideas on how to take further.

Join us next week, where Aron will be covering the tutorial!

• 194Like
  • 165Love
Reactions:
This comment is reserved by the Community Team for gathering Dev Responses in, for ease of reading.

b_raven said:

Will a buildings be moddable? I mean the looks of them.
Yes, for sure.

Miraiteko said:

Can we modders add new mapmodes with color_mode based on some script_value? (In ck3, we use "color_mode = baronies" and "set_color_from_title" effect to do that, which is quite troublesome。)
Mapmodes are scriptable but I'm not aware of being able to use script values in this way. I believe we use the same system CK3 does.

Froonk said:

Minor point but European part of Constantinople is divided into two by a gulf called Golden Horn. Constantinople is on a peninsula within a peninsula with majority of the population then living within that smaller peninsula. You can see it here (don't mind the text it has some bizarre names):

Further, do the developers intend to add more architecture sets into the game in the future either as DLCs or with free updates? Because the current architecture set is vastly inaccurate for Ottoman architecture present in Balkans, Anatolia, Armenia and Levant. It is only accurate for Mesapotamia, Arabian Peninsula and Egypt.

Game is very pretty and I hope you will continue to update and detail it in future.

The intent from our end is to absolutely add more detail and uniqueness to certain cultures in the long run, we are very well aware that the 5 ones we currently have (for architecture and units) are fairly generic and look forward to do more in depth stuff later on!

LucasG21 said:

Beautiful! So beautiful, in fact, that it took several minutes for me to load this page. Can we turn off the living map? It looks very graphics-intensive.
The graphic options for the game will be pretty varied depending on your preference and GPU, and while you can't turn off all the visual features you can certainly decrease them all in detail. When it comes to the overall performance though the simulation of the game is heavier than its graphics with how advanced it is.

Inspecta said:

It looks good, but it will run horribly for weak PCs. Can you add an option that can reduce details of a living map to at least low-poly things with low res textures? Or if that's hard, can you then please give some extra optimization polish, so that even weak PCs can squeeze stable 30 fps on at least one graphics setting set to High?
I happened to answer this in another reply, but yes the graphic settings will allow you to reduce the qualite of graphics immensly for a lower end GPU, but as I also stated the games' simulation is so advanced that it is more taxing than the graphics.

Morrowind3 said:

Looks great. Very beautiful and informative way to make the map look alive. Not a fan of the animations that pop up at every SoL change though, it takes a way from the serenity of the map, especially if it's something that happens frequently
With how serene that map generally is we wanted to do a few effects like the SOL to make it clear that things are happening in hubs (yours and others) to not only have things like big revolutions causing a visual change. In general I feel it gives a decent idea of how a country or state is doing just by seeing how the SOL is trending without clicking on anything.

b_raven said:

Will a buildings be moddable? I mean the looks of them.
They should be, if not in mesh then in texture. The difficulty about modding their meshes would be that they all have set collision boxes to not intersect and clip with each other.

That's a 9.5 out of 10 for visuals! To make it a 10/10, are there plans to make the city layouts to fit the roads coming in? Right now the houses seem to pop right in the middle of an incoming road.

View attachment 850826
Yeah we've been struggling a bit with that, and hopefully we can find a way to remedy it, but I feel you!

o you have an idea what the early period war models would look like? You've shown trenches which is kool but thats more for 1900+? Will there be a little man running around?

Other than that, great job with the physical map!
I've made the conscious to try to steer clear from actual little humans running around, in part due to the already tweaked scale we have for a lot of things in game but also due to the performance cost of animations of non-rigid objects like humans. When it comes to the early era Battle Units each of the 5 cultures will have their own lowest tier of infantry that are more or less civilian buildings used as cover for basic weapons.

Arbus said:

My issue with the SoL icons is that they're too similar. It took me quite a bit to see the difference with the gifs standing side by side, in game I would hardly be able to distinguish them at all. Please consider adding a different icon/gif
Point taken, we will be able to make slight tweaks to them to distinguish them further. But as I've seen a lot of comments on these effect I would love to hear more concrete examples of what ideas you all have for it. To further showcase my intent with the current effect I can show the initial (old) concept I made for it:
Initial SOL Concept.png

wisecat said:

And what happened to Characters DD?
Will we see it?
Yes, it'll just come later in the schedule.

afafsa said:

If there aren't paddle steamers on the Mississippi this game will be literally unplayable.
Sadly no brown water navies for release.
The Great Lakes Faction of the development team remains steadfast in their eventual inclusion.

• 10Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Minor point but European part of Constantinople is divided into two by a gulf called Golden Horn. Constantinople is on a peninsula within a peninsula with majority of the population then living within that smaller peninsula. You can see it here (don't mind the text it has some bizarre names):

Ecv2WDVWoAICyBt

Further, do the developers intend to add more architecture sets into the game in the future either as DLCs or with free updates? Because the current architecture set is vastly inaccurate for Ottoman architecture present in Balkans, Anatolia, Armenia and Levant. It is only accurate for Mesapotamia, Arabian Peninsula and Egypt.

Game is very pretty and I hope you will continue to update and detail it in future.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Can we modders add new mapmodes with color_mode based on some script_value? (In ck3, we use "color_mode = baronies" and "set_color_from_title" effect to do that, which is quite troublesome。)

Will there appear some restoration projects of ancient world wonders? Like some archaeological endeavour that will allow us to place some wisible remains, of Colosseum for example, on the map?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I absolutely love the small detail of the skyscrapers being different for each culture-group! The Chinese one there reminds me not just of the world of The Legend of Korra, but this very real building from Japan, their first skyscraper...

• 2Like
Reactions:
I feel like better visuals for a revolutionary hub would be to have smaller flags, as these giant ones feel a bit weird, and have small visual destruction/fire scattered around it representing the people getting things done with their own hands. Maybe visible barricades in some areas as well. Great DD, loving it so far.

Reactions:
It looks good, but it will run horribly for weak PCs. Can you add an option that can reduce details of a living map to at least low-poly things with low res textures? Or if that's hard, can you then please give some extra optimization polish, so that even weak PCs can squeeze stable 30 fps on at least one graphics setting set to High?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Looks great. Very beautiful and informative way to make the map look alive. Not a fan of the animations that pop up at every SoL change though, it takes a way from the serenity of the map, especially if it's something that happens frequently

• 8Like
Reactions:
Last but not least we look to the skies where you’ll be able to see Zeppelins soaring through the air when skyscrapers have been built and act as anchoring points for the massive airships.
I see that in the air we may see Zeppelins soaring through the skies, but i find it odd how there is no mention of biplanes, is it possible for the development team to shred some light on this?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Looks gorgeous! I love the I assume Latin American building set.

• 2Like
Reactions: