• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI4 DevDiary: No Step Back Achievements

Hello, and welcome back to another Dev Diary for Hearts of Iron 4. As we close in on wrapping up this major operation, code-named Barbarossa, before winter falls (the first snow fell in Stockholm this weekend, I am sure it’ll be fine), today we will talk about the new achievements that will be added with the release of No Step Back.

As far as the process is concerned, we usually have an open list of achievement suggestions during the whole DLC development cycle. Near the end of the cycle, we take a vote on what achievements we want to see in the game (after eliminating any that would be technically impossible) and start the process of implementing them and ordering art.

For No Step Back, we started with a list of 49 suggestions, and whittled it down to 20 Achievements:

at_least_they_run_on_time.png

At least they run on time!: As fascist Italy, have max level railways in all your core states

not_much_fun_in_stalingrad.png

Not much fun in Stalingrad
: As Germany, capitulate the Soviet Union without taking Stalingrad

no_more_partitions.png

No more Partitions: As Poland, be independent and ensure that both Germany and the USSR are either in your faction or don’t exist

habsburgs_habsburgs_everywhere.png

Habsburgs. Habsburgs everywhere: As Poland, install a Habsburg monarch and be in a faction with another Habsburg monarch.

the_pope_how_many_divisions_does_he_have.png

The Pope? How many Divisions does he have?: As the USSR, take Rome.

this_is_going_to_be_LIT.png

This is going to be LIT: As Lithuania, hold the capitals of all of your neighbours

it_has_my_name_on_it.png

It has my name on it: As any Baltic State, conquer the entire shoreline of the Baltic Sea

this _achievement_is_cheesy.png

This Achievement is Cheesy: As Latvia, form Ostland and occupy Vasterbotten. (n.b.: Vasterbotten is located in Lappland State)

esti_is_scandi.png

Esti is Scandi: As Estonia, secure Scandinavia (n.b.: Every state in Scandinavia needs to be controlled by Estonia or a Subject of Estonia)

not_a_step_back.png

Not a step back!: As the Soviet Union never lose 1 core territory to anyone before 1945

one_step_forward.png

One Step Forward: As the Soviet Union, declare war on Poland and Germany before Germany attacks Poland.

the_soviet_onion.png

The Soviet Onion: As the Soviet Union, have only puppets as neighbors

crusader_kings_III.png

Crusader Kings III: As Poland, crown a Monarch and capture Jerusalem

the_romanovs_laugh_last.png

The Romanovs laugh last: Restore the Romanovs to the throne and conquer Germany, Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia,Turkey, and Bulgaria.

we_dont_really_like_statistics.png

We don’t really like statistics: As the Soviet Union under Stalin, conquer Germany while suffering less than 1 million casualties total

race_for_germany.png

Race for Germany: As the Soviet Union, capitulate Germany after the Fall of France but before the Allies control one German core state

siberian_tiger.png

Siberian Tiger: As Tannu Tuva, form Siberia

just_proper_gander.png

Just proper gander: As the Soviet Union, activate 30 propaganda campaigns before 1945.

around_eurasia_in_80_days.png

Around Eurasia in 80 days: Have a railroad from Gibraltar to Singapore

poland_peasant_revolution.png

Poland Peasant Revolution: As Poland, have the Peasant’s Strike overthrow the government.

That's all from us today! Next week, you will get the Patchnotes for 1.11 Barbarossa (unless we are thrown out of position by a sudden enemy counter-attack).

• 121Like
  • 26Love
  • 12Haha
Reactions:
hardest acheivements in my opinion :

This is going to be LIT: As Lithuania, hold the capitals of all of your neighbours : you would have to take on the soviets im guessing

No more Partitions: As Poland, be independent and ensure that both Germany and the USSR are either in your faction or don’t exist, you would have to beat germany and soviets

Around Eurasia in 80 days: Have a railroad from Gibraltar to Singapore , this is more of a time problem

• 3Like
Reactions:
Really had hoped for "The Winged Hussars Arrived - Take Vienna as Habsburg Poland". *sniff*

• 16Like
  • 4Haha
  • 3Love
Reactions:
These look really good! I'm defenitly going to give Race for Germany a try when this comes out.

This is more for the art team. Are there going to be any unique sprites for the Baltics? I know that they have unique infantry, which can be seen in the feature videos, but will they have unique tanks and planes? Or will it be similar to BftB where they use a major's model for that equipment?

I count 3 world conquest-requiring achievements (It has my name on it, The Soviet Onion, The Romanovs laugh last), because those need peace deals.

I guess it could have been worse, since 2 of those you can do with soviets.

Does a "baltic state" include germany and soviet union?

I guess Around Eurasia in 80 days is also long-term, but it doesnt require you capping the usa and japan, which is usually what youd call a world conquest.

Last edited:
Reactions:

This is going to be LIT: As Lithuania, hold the capitals of all of your neighbours : you would have to take on the soviets im guessing

No more Partitions: As Poland, be independent and ensure that both Germany and the USSR are either in your faction or don’t exist, you would have to beat germany and soviets

Around Eurasia in 80 days: Have a railroad from Gibraltar to Singapore , this is more of a time problem
You might be able to go communist and have the USSR help you take out Germany

Reactions:
I count 3 world conquest-requiring achievements (It has my name on it, The Soviet Onion, The Romanovs laugh last), because those need peace deals).

I guess it could have been worse.
Fairly sure you could cheese the Onion by releasing certain republics. Worst case scenario you puppet Finland, Poland, Baltics, (Czecho)Slovakia, Romania(or just release bessarabia), Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Sinkiang, Mongolia, Manchukuo and Korea while taking south Sakhalin.

Most of these can be obtained by a standard historical playthrough, actually.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wait a second, in one of the feature videos (poland and baltics) you showed some new unit models for the Baltics. Can we get a picture of those here?

Reactions:

You might be able to go communist and have the USSR help you take out Germany

I dont think any of those are hard.

First, you go communist and have soviets do the heavy lifting, then backstab then. You only need a capital in the peace deal.

Second, this is incredibly easy, you just join either soviets or germany and beat the other, achievment done.

Third you grab while doing a wq for one of the soviet achievements, or great britain.

Fairly sure you could cheese the Onion by releasing certain republics. Worst case scenario you puppet Finland, Poland, Baltics, (Czecho)Slovakia, Romania(or just release bessarabia), Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Sinkiang, Mongolia, Manchukuo and Korea while taking south Sakhalin.

Most of these can be obtained by a standard historical playthrough, actually.

You cant puppet without a peace deal, and allies will alway guarantee either turkey, poland or czechoslovakia. Unless you pry the latter from the corpse of germany.

Around Eurasia in 80 days: Have a railroad from Gibraltar to Singapore
The Romanovs laugh last: Restore the Romanovs to the throne and conquer Germany, Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia,Turkey, and Bulgaria.

giphy.gif

These are just world conquests. At least we don't need to end the war this time atleast.

• 8Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions: