• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 19th of January 2021

Hello and Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. 2020 was an interesting year to say the least, but now we are in 2021, and the Tinto team is now fully up to speed with working on the new expansion. Today we’ll focus on some new aspects related to Heirs, Regencies and Estates.

First of all, one change for heirs and their legitimacy is that it will start a fair bit lower on average, and slowly increase over time as the heir grows older. Having high prestige increases it faster. Please note that corruption in your court increases it, as there is nothing screaming legitimate future King as much as a few sacks of gold in your pocket.

Secondly, with this new expansion, we have removed the regency councils, and instead replaced them by Estate Regencies.

Instead, a Regent will be generated from your most powerful estate. This will further increase the power of that estate, which might also give you a specific benefit or not.

eu4_18.png

Please note however that this does not replace consort regencies - consorts will still take priority over an estate-led regency

Thirdly, we are adding the option for extending a regency. Extending a regency reduces legitimacy by 10, and extends the current regency with another 5 years. Of course, the claim of the heir continues to increase. While a regency has some drawbacks, this can be very beneficial, if your heir is an imbecile, and your regency council is not entire incompetent.

Lest we forget, we have also changed so that you are no longer constantly losing legitimacy the longer you have a regency, but instead its an increase in stability cost.

We are also adding a fair bit more interesting events that occur when you are in a regency, all to add more interesting flavor to the experience, not to mention interesting situations.

As you may have noticed, this is one of the shorter development diaries, even if it gives you some new features, but next week, we’ll return to an interesting look at some more american nations and their content.

• 157Like
  • 24Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
First of all, one change for heirs and their legitimacy is that it will start a fair bit lower on average, and slowly increase over time as the heir grows older.
Now that is something I've been waiting on for years.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Will the estate regent still work the same as the normal regency i.e. still not able to declare wars during the regency council?

Yes. Its the same as a regency coucil in THAT aspect.

There will be different types of challenges depending on which estate that takes power.

• 5Like
Reactions:
oh. I thought we will see austraila, but this game changes look interesting!

I really like the aspekt, that

We are also adding a fair bit more interesting events that occur when you are in a regency, all to add more interesting flavor to the experience, not to mention interesting situations.

I guess there are endless posibilities. Even pretenders that want to stay in power? Events about conflicts of the different estates over the controll of the regency would also be nice. I hope that there are a looooot of them coming! :)

(This also would make the "peace times" that you'll have, caused by the no war declaration while regency thing, hopefully more interesting to play.)

I think its a good idea to "explain" in that way, where the regency council is coming from when it appears.

How are the stats of the regency council generated?

The first aspect is making a lot of sense for me.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Are there any monarchies with no estates in the game? I'd be interested to see how their regencies function.

Would it be possible to look at the legitimacy hit every time you royal marry someone? It feels rather obtuse as a mechanic and I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it. Sometimes you lose 2, sometimes 5?

Also I'd like to know the actual strength of an heir's legitimacy. I just had a Court and Country disaster run ruined when at the last minute my heir came to the throne, and despite being "strong" it turned out to be 80 legitimacy and lowered my absolutism.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Also I'd like to know the actual strength of an heir's legitimacy. I just had a Court and Country disaster run ruined when at the last minute my heir came to the throne, and despite being "strong" it turned out to be 80 legitimacy and lowered my absolutism.

The UI now shows it with 2 decimals.

• 15Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
What about allowing nearby rulers to be regent of a country.

While i am aware that the developers have not decided to make Austria, Styria and Tyrol seperate. This is one situation where it might be very interesting.

Specifically regarding Ladislaus, who had multiple nearby rulers as Regents. And considering you are showing this off.

For example, the Archduke of Inner Austria (Styria) Frederick 3 was his regent for the early years, while the ruler of Celje, Ulrich 2, became his Regent when Ladislaus became King of Hungary.

• 8Like
Reactions:

Yeah, it would be very helpfull if it would maybe show a tooltip or smth. when you go over the claim of the heir and show the actual number

Reactions:
It is short, but still very interesting.

A question though, if you keep the regency longer, it cost legitimacy, but your heir will gain more legitimacy durying the five years.

Will the gain refund the loss?
Is the heir able to die during any kind of regency?

Plus ; next to estate, i think it would be a good idea, in some specific case (high nobility influence + high trust of an ally?) to have another ruler being the regent

• 4Like
Reactions:
It is short, but still very interesting.

A question though, if you keep the regency longer, it cost legitimacy, but your heir will gain more legitimacy durying the five years.

Will the gain refund the loss?
Is the heir able to die during any kind of regency?

Probably not, but the legitimacy of the regency council is not the same as the legitimacy of your heir..

The heir can of course always die to hunting accidents. Its after-all the 2nd most important event in the game.

• 37Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yes. Its the same as a regency coucil in THAT aspect.

There will be different types of challenges depending on which estate that takes power.
Will the "named regencies" from historical events (e.g. János Hunyadi) be changed eg. by being assigned a specific estate?

• 7Like
Reactions:
  • 5Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Any chance that you will introduce an option for the regent to be a ruler of another nation, creating a temporary union? I can think of using such a mechanism to more properly reflect the division of Austria.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Is it possible for a regent to have a different culture and/or religion than the primary one? For example, if a regent becomes from the dhimmi, could they possibly be a Greek Orthodox instead of a Turkish Sunni?

• 12Like
Reactions: