• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary, 1/13/2020 : The Future

Greetings!

My thanks for bearing with us over the holidays, the team has had a good break, and we’re back and ready to begin the 1.4 Archimedes update for Imperator: Rome.

Before I go into a little more depth as to what you might expect in the first part of 2020, I’d like to address what some of you may already have noticed. Our previous roadmap indicated that 1.4 (previously titled Cassander) would be an weighty expansion to I:R - we’ve taken the decision to change our tack a little here. This is in part due to the success of the 1.2 and 1.3 updates: the ambitious release cadence we achieved in order to be able to bring the radical changes and additions contained therein, is something that we feel suits Imperator well, and is a practice I would like to keep up.

What does this mean?

Well, in practical terms, you can expect to see smaller, more frequent updates than some of our sister titles. We believe that we can provide a more engaging experience for our players by having the opportunity to react to feedback with relative haste (the development of the 1.2 Cicero update, for example), which in turn gives us the chance to focus on individual, core themes on a per-update basis.

Does ‘more updates’ mean more paid DLC than we’re used to on [insert PDS game here]?

Simply put; no. As we’ll be producing more frequent updates, not all of them will have a price tag. Content packs accompanying free updates is a model that I believe serves us well, and gives players the greatest amount of choice and flexibility as to how they spend their money.

Does this mean Imperator is dead?

Absolutely not. We’re committed to Imperator - we believe there is huge potential in both the era and game. Indeed, the I:R team seems to have mysteriously grown over the holidays.

I’ve pre-empted these questions, and I expect some of you to have more. I’ll do my best to answer those which I can in this thread.

---

Moving on, we come to the subject of 2020. I wanted to give you an update as to our plans for the first few updates this year, however before I do, I must stress that any and all plans are subject to change - the level of communication and feedback we’ve had with you on our previous updates makes me confident that transparency is the only way forward here, but it should be with the understanding that the realities of development sometimes hit unexpected turns.

To aid our planning, we’ve split each update cycle into something we’re calling a ‘season’. Giving each season a rough theme allows us to better focus on key parts of the game in need of improvement, without committing to a discrete number of updates or releases.

Season 1: Religion and Culture

Archimedes:

My intention is that the Archimedes update will focus heavily on expanding the religious gameplay options. We’ll be overhauling omens, allowing and promoting hybridisation of religions and pantheons, the dedication of holy sites, and many more features tied to the religious theming of the Archimedes update.

In addition, we’ll be taking some time to rework character loyalty as a more organic system and squashing some oft-requested minor features.

Menander:

The second major part of this release naturally looks towards culture. It’s too early to tell you exactly what you can expect to see here, but to me, the lack of ability to promote cultural diversity is something I believe needs improvement.

Other themes for the Menander update are likely to include Subjects, unrest/rebellions, and more.

Does this mean you won’t touch [Feature X] until it’s part of a season?

Not necessarily. Themes and seasons are a focus, not a restriction.

What’s after Season 1?

Well, it’s a little early to say. -However-, what I can do is give you the intended theme for S2: Warfare.

To conclude, I’m aware that many of you like meaty, detailed Dev diaries that explain features on a mechanical level. This is not something we’ve forgotten, and next week we’ll dive into the details of the Archimedes update to look at Deities and Pantheons.

/Arheo

Edit:

As we lack any exciting screenshots to show you due to the recent holidays, I felt it would be a good time to prove that team Imperator is also team CAT (featuring an assortment of team cats):

upload_2020-1-13_14-58-23.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
My thanks for bearing with us over the holidays, the team has had a good break, and we’re back and ready to begin the 1.4 Archimedes update for Imperator: Rome.
I hope you all had a nice holiday:)

Season 1: Religion and Culture

Archimedes:

My intention is that the Archimedes update will focus heavily on expanding the religious gameplay options. We’ll be overhauling omens, allowing and promoting hybridisation of religions and pantheons, the dedication of holy sites, and many more features tied to the religious theming of the Archimedes update.

In addition, we’ll be taking some time to rework character loyalty as a more organic system and squashing some oft-requested minor features.
Sounds very interesting and something that is really needed:cool:

Menander:

The second major part of this release naturally looks towards culture. It’s too early to tell you exactly what you can expect to see here, but to me, the lack of ability to promote cultural diversity is something I believe needs improvement.

Other themes for the Menander update are likely to include Subjects, unrest/rebellions, and more.
Culture tolerance and subject interactions are stuff also very much in demand:)

Well, it’s a little early to say. -However-, what I can do is give you the intended theme for S2: Warfare.
Interesting that warfare is such a high priority, however I suspect that mean stuff like expanded Peace treaties and such as well.

Last edited:
Welcome back from the holidays. Sounds very interesting! I'm liking the sound of the new, more agile approach to development. Super excited for religions / culture updates.

Long have I waited. Happy New Year, Archeo

Looking forward to it!

I would also really like a season for trade down the line, as it would probably allow for more playstyles than now.

I'm very curious to see what the future will have in store for Imperator :) Personally I'd like to see the cultural assimilation of annexed territories to slow down and replicate better its historical pace (for example, no more Greek Egypt in seventy-five year or so, when in realty Coptic language was still spoken until the early modern era).

Very interesting. :)

Great to hear this! Seems like a proper focus for the updates!

Just curious but how will DLC be handled? Can we expect that first expansion in q1 2020? And if so what will the DLC focus on? It seems like the patches are focusing on the most crucial game elements so will DLC be more like adding regional flavor and missions or what is the plan?

Why is the update about religion called Archimedes? Wouldn't it be better to save him for something tech-related?
Literally unplayable.

I hope the dedication of holy sites comes with some unique buildings similar to the sanctuary of Dodona which you can built and diversify the map. Something in line with the great works of CK2 would be awesome. After all you get insanely rich in the midgame and that would be something to sink money in. More things like the creation of the museion or pharos would be much appreciated.