Hotfix 1.8.1 "Fork" Live - Checksum aa59 (Not for problem reports)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Andy Gainey

Sergeant
Paradox Staff
Sep 26, 2017
andygainey.com
Hotfix has arrived. 1.8.1 "Fork" is now live and downloadable through Steam. Checksum is aa59.

This hotfix consists of a couple quick display setting fixes and a fix for the Paradox Account login popup that should not have appeared when using the Steam matchmaking service. I personally dropped the ball on two of those, trying to juggle too many balls at once and fixing the issues but in the wrong place, so I apologize for that.

Simultaneously but separately, the launcher team is working on the feedback received regarding various launcher behavior itself. And we will continue to investigate the critical issues that have been reported but not addressed in this hotfix.

We should be save game compatible with 1.8.1, but if you for some reason want to remain on 1.8.0 or older Here are instructions for reverting to patches since 1.5.4, or special instructions for 1.5.3 and earlier.

Please make sure that any mods you are using are updated for 1.8.1, or your game might not run properly (seriously)

If you discover any bugs in patch 1.8.1, please report them in the bug report forum as usual.

1.8.1 Fork - Patch notes
##################################
# Bugfix
##################################
- Prevented the Paradox Account login window from popping up when entering the multiplayer lobby when not using the Paradox matchmaking service.
- Fixed refresh rate settings from launcher so that they are applied.
- Changed default display mode in new launcher to borderless fullscreen from exclusive fullscreen when launched for the first time, to restore behavior from the previous launcher.

For full 1.8.0 patchlog see https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...hecksum-3241-not-for-problem-reports.1280461/

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the hotfix!

Quick question: I still don't understand the "benefit" for me as a player of "signing in with my forum login in the new launcher".

Update: I ave just noticed resume button which seems to work fine, thank you.

Yesterday i spend some time trying to figure out why mods will not turn enabled, before reading thread. Today I am waiting until mods will get updated most likely without new content, so I am waiting until I can turn game on. I think I am big fan of your work (steam estimates my admiration for your work on about 5k hours with various paradox products, and i played a lot before steam). Since for living I make sandboxes in other industry I do realize you cannot avoid all issues trying to deliver valuable content in reasonable time. That being wrote, please add some test scenarios helping to avoid issues identified within this release.

To cheer you a beat. It is not like you forgot to check if button for pagan reformation is available (Issue that seriously broke CK II games progress in the past).

Last edited:
The new launcher is really, really bad. You should revert.

This update sucks, finding one mod that I want out of the 209 I have is absolutely excruciatingly painful. The window is smaller, somehow runs poorly, with it giving me 11 frames while scrolling through, and there is no filter or search option for mods, they aren't even in alphabetical order anymore. At least take what you had going well with the first launcher and bring it over to the new one, not take a step backwards with your new layouts.

I'am extremely sorry to say this but, this new launcher completely destroyed the Game ( i don't want to be mean and its lagging in mods section and other and it broke the game, sorry again). 1.8.1 mods which were updated ofc, says the following: Something looks wrong with the downloaded files. Please contact the author of this mod.
Ive been talking to the authors and even they can't solve the problem, they don't know what's wrong, some say its a bug.
I cleared the cache, it didn't worked. Reinstalled the game, it didn't work, resubscribed and it didn't work. All the instructions you told us, in 1.8 patch note, it didn't work.
I do like the new launcher tough looks like from Imperator Rome and Stellaris ..... if im even right. But when i clicked the mod section .... 222 mods. It gave me a heart attack. All mods are in random place and not in alphabetical order like it was ... in the old launcher. If there is even a slightest chance to add a option for changing the new launcher to old launcher. A lot of people would probably want that.
I really have problems with this new launcher. And i know i'm not the only one here.
This is my first ever negative response in 5 years. All of your work is absolutely awesome at this point. But the new launcher cracked me.
My apologies if i angered someone but this is my honest response, Sorry :(

I'am extremely sorry to say this but, this new launcher completely destroyed the Game ( i don't want to be mean and its lagging in mods section and other and it broke the game, sorry again). 1.8.1 mods which were updated ofc, says the following: Something looks wrong with the downloaded files. Please contact the author of this mod.
Ive been talking to the authors and even they can't solve the problem, they don't know what's wrong, some say its a bug.
I cleared the cache, it didn't worked. Reinstalled the game, it didn't work, resubscribed and it didn't work. All the instructions you told us, in 1.8 patch note, it didn't work.
I do like the new launcher tough looks like from Imperator Rome and Stellaris ..... if im even right. But when i clicked the mod section .... 222 mods. It gave me a heart attack. All mods are in random place and not in alphabetical order like it was ... in the old launcher. If there is even a slightest chance to add a option for changing the new launcher to old launcher. A lot of people would probably want that.
I really have problems with this new launcher. And i know i'm not the only one here.
This is my first ever negative response in 5 years. All of your work is absolutely awesome at this point. But the new launcher cracked me.
My apologies if i angered someone but this is my honest response, Sorry :(

I'd be fine with them updating the launcher but this seems horribly done and rushed, EU IV is still sorting itself out but that was a mess, I've hard Imperator is having issues still with the launcher and Linux, don't know about Stellaris and now this with HoI IV. The communication is also quite lacking, some sort of PSA would be nice, informing modders and users that the launcher is changing and when it can be expected to come out.

i have the 1.8.1 version ( a clean one not a beta) , but i have only the play button ,not have the resume one. Another problem is that i open focus tree and i don't have navigation sistem :( .. can you help me?

I'd be fine with them updating the launcher but this seems horribly done and rushed, EU IV is still sorting itself out but that was a mess, I've hard Imperator is having issues still with the launcher and Linux, don't know about Stellaris and now this with HoI IV. The communication is also quite lacking, some sort of PSA would be nice, informing modders and users that the launcher is changing and when it can be expected to come out.
EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID.

i have the 1.8.1 version ( a clean one not a beta) , but i have only the play button ,not have the resume one. Another problem is that i open focus tree and i don't have navigation sistem :( .. can you help me?
If your playing a game and quickly exit the game trough pause menu. And when you launch the game it will said Resume. Then youll have to Clear User Directory

and why i can't see the navigation sistem that help you about focus tree? i open focus tree but it is the same of past versions. don't have navigation assist ..

As you can see from the quote below the focus tree navigation changes are part of the Husky / La Resistance changes. Since they usurped the normal DD for the launcher release they threw in a small update about upcoming stuff as well.

I'm afraid we still have to wait for those improvements

If you are interested in more details and plans for the launcher you can read all about it here in a post from the launcher team .

The patch itself releases later today (late afternoon). That is all about the patch, lets move on to highlight some neat stuff coming in 1.9 'Husky'...

Focus Tree Navigation
As our focus trees have gotten larger finding things in them or simply exploring them has gotten harder. To solve this we are adding several things to the national focus screen (btw UI here is still a bit WIP and may change)

I am still unable to launch my game since the new update. I have tried to fix the issue but haven't been able to. What can I do? Apart from giving up on this game and all other Paradox games in genaral

Hotfix has arrived. 1.8.1 "Fork" is now live and downloadable through Steam. Checksum is aa59.

This hotfix consists of a couple quick display setting fixes and a fix for the Paradox Account login popup that should not have appeared when using the Steam matchmaking service. I personally dropped the ball on two of those, trying to juggle too many balls at once and fixing the issues but in the wrong place, so I apologize for that.

Simultaneously but separately, the launcher team is working on the feedback received regarding various launcher behavior itself. And we will continue to investigate the critical issues that have been reported but not addressed in this hotfix.

We should be save game compatible with 1.8.1, but if you for some reason want to remain on 1.8.0 or older Here are instructions for reverting to patches since 1.5.4, or special instructions for 1.5.3 and earlier.

Please make sure that any mods you are using are updated for 1.8.1, or your game might not run properly (seriously)

If you discover any bugs in patch 1.8.1, please report them in the bug report forum as usual.

1.8.1 Fork - Patch notes

For full 1.8.0 patchlog see https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...hecksum-3241-not-for-problem-reports.1280461/

Thank you. My opinion of this change is mostly positive. It looks nice and I am all for anything that makes your [the developers] life easier. Possibly, though, you should examine how it affects a user. No problem here with the Mod issue, but I use only half a dozen mods - all are of the total overhaul variety - so they are easily accessed. I can see how that could be a problem for users with dozens of installed Mods. My only problem is with the Resume & Play buttons. I would think that "resume" would take me to my last game save. It doesn't do that for me. I think it is not looking for cloud saves. "Play" then becomes sort of redundant.

Anyway, great game!