HoI 4 - I can build an air base, but it is beyond my control

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ebalai

Corporal
9 Badges
May 8, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
Description of issue
I can build an air base, but it is beyond my control

Game Version

Enabled DLC
All of the above

Do you have mods enabled?

Description
Playing for South Africa, I captured a part of Zambia with the main city and can build an air base, but it is under the control of the British. How did I build this airbase if it is beyond my control? This can happen to any other region
In such regions, you need to rearrange the airbase in the main city

Steps to Reproduce
Play as South Africa, declare war on Britain and capture main city of Zambia, then build airbase

Upload Attachment

Attachments

• 20190719140602_1.jpg
    20190719140602_1.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190719140717_1.jpg
    20190719140717_1.jpg
    672,9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190719140742_1.jpg
    20190719140742_1.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
That's not a bug, it's WAD. One province in each state is where the airbase is built. When the state is large you need to check where the icon is showing up before construction is complete to make sure you're not giving your enemy a free airbase....or just hurry up and capture that spot from them.

I agree that it might not be elegant, but it's not a bug.

That's not a bug, it's WAD. One province in each state is where the airbase is built. When the state is large you need to check where the icon is showing up before construction is complete to make sure you're not giving your enemy a free airbase....or just hurry up and capture that spot from them.

I agree that it might not be elegant, but it's not a bug.
It`s still a mistake that needs to be fixed, In real life you wouldn`t be able to build a base in the territory that is controlled by the enemy
It would be good to prohibit building air bases in the regions where the province at which this air base is located was captured
and as a player for South Africa, I could not know where the air base is located in Zambia because there no airbases

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying posting it under bug reports is incorrect.

In such regions, you need to rearrange the airbase in the main city
In many states there is not a single province that has enough points to decide who controls the state. I think it would be much cleaner to have the airport in no particular province, just like radar. The ranges of both systems are centered on the state and it doesn't make sense to physically put all air fields (or radars) into one province either.

That's not a bug, it's WAD
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying posting it under bug reports is incorrect.
How do you know what the design is?

How do you know what the design is?

Because they've explained in the past why they only allow one airfield per state instead of per province (because otherwise it would be even easier to flood a particular air zone with ALL THE PLANES), because it's been that way since the beginning of the game, and because none of the devs have expressed even the slightest desire to address it, much less made any effort to do so?

When taking all of the above into account, it's clear that this was intentional. Whether it's optimal is another matter. I think if you are building an airfield in a state that doesn't already have one, it should allow you to pick the specific province. But they don't, and the fact that they don't is clearly not a bug...but it might make for an excellent post on the suggestions page?

Because they've explained in the past why they only allow one airfield per state instead of per province (because otherwise it would be even easier to flood a particular air zone with ALL THE PLANES)
This bug report is not about having airfields per province, just that the airbase should be controlled by the one building it.
because it's been that way since the beginning of the game, and because none of the devs have expressed even the slightest desire to address it, much less made any effort to do so?
The same could be said for many other bugs that got fixed only after years or are still unfixed.

In many states there is not a single province that has enough points to decide who controls the state. I think it would be much cleaner to have the airport in no particular province, just like radar. The ranges of both systems are centered on the state and it doesn't make sense to physically put all air fields (or radars) into one province either.

I kind of like having a single airfield province as a tactical objective though to fight over.