• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Azurespecter

Influencer Manager
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Aug 14, 2013
twitter.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
Paradox Forum banner.png

Surviving Mars: Space Race Expansion has Launched!

Gather your colonists, prepare your rocket, and descend upon the red planet to show those rival sponsors how it's done... the Space Race has begun!

A few of the major features you'll find include:
  • Rival colonies will compete to discover planetary anomalies and unlock the secrets of Mars
  • Negotiate with or terrorize your rivals with new diplomacy options
  • Unique buildings and vehicles for every sponsor
  • New events will shape your colonies progression - for better or worse!
  • Two new sponsors (Brazil and Japan)
  • Complete unique sponsor missions to help your colony succeed
Get started now by purchasing Space Race here!

I have bought the Space Race, but as I am new i want to play and learn without rival colonies.
Is there any way to disable rival colonies?
Or have i made a mistake in bying Space race and do i need to uninstall it to play it without the rush of rival colonies.
So far i have enjoyed playing it against all the small problem with food, minerals, electricity, meteors, sandstorms and such.

I have bought the Space Race, but as I am new i want to play and learn without rival colonies.
Or have i made a mistake in bying Space race and do i need to uninstall it to play it without the rush of rival colonies.
So far i have enjoyed playing it against all the small problem with food, minerals, electricity, meteors, sandstorms and such.

You can set number of rival colonies to 0 and enjoy rest of features without feeling rushed ;D

Yes there is:
In the mission set up, under rival colonies, you can set the faction to none. You have to do it for each one though. Also certain rules will only affect you IIRC like increased funding.

Thank you all.
I just tried a quick start and didnt find it. Just saw that it was 3 rivals.
But as you both said, that when i went down the menu i found you could chose None as a option.
Thanks again. Now im happy :)

First: is this an appropriate place for feedback on the expansion/patch?

Second: I'm quite liking this new expansion. Some notes:

1) With the changes to waste rock processing, I'd really like to see waste rock in the info bar alongside the other basic resources; it helps you plan out things like "how many waste rock processors do I need to keep up?". Also maybe give transport rovers the option to pick up waste rock... and while you're at it, black cubes from the Power of Three mystery.

2) While Japan does initially seem like it's too easy to be "hard", I'm actually finding that there's a bit of subtlety to this. While Japan is pretty amazing in the very early game, with the one annoyance of having just one rocket, a lot of its perks do a great job of getting you started. Where it really starts to drag is mid-game, especially if you're accustomed to being able to grow your population rapidly via sending more Earthborn. With Japan's very slow applicant generation, you have to put some serious thought into expanding your population locally; I only really started to break out past ~250 colonists when I built a dome with a medical center and plenty of comfort buildings. When I next play Japan, I'm going to be putting much more thought into keeping comfort levels high from the start.

3) It may be worthwhile to revisit the difficulty multipliers of 1-rocket sponsors. Between cargo pods and that one event with the mysterious rocket (thus giving you a free rocket), it's noticeably easier to cope.

4) Love the events, though the "trap" in aforementioned mysterious-rocket is hilariously irrelevant in the face of free rocket.

5) Placement of research sites can be a bit superfluous; unless I'm understanding things wrong, it's bet to separate your research domes to minimize collaboration losses, so having 4 literally on the same screen does you no good.

6) I have no idea if this is intentional or not, but after triggering some events that generated tourist applicants, I have basically a never-ending stream of tourist applicants (literally hundreds... as Japan). I know returning tourists to Earth is supposed to grow the tourist pool, so maybe this is an unintended side-effect?

7) I'm not 100% convinced the new waste rock processing plant is balanced. It's relatively slow in clearing out your giant waste rock fields (even with factory AI and overcharge, it takes about 2.5 sols to go through a single waste rock pile), and despite taking similar upkeep as a concrete extractor (1 machine parts, 5 electricity), it delivers a small fraction of the concrete. I'd consider either cutting the maintenance to 0.5 machine parts, or increasing the production and power usage to compensate.

I've been holding off on Surviving Mars after hearing the launch was a bit barebones, does the DLC actually add much to the gameplay? Or does it just increase the difficulty.

Is Surviving Mars worth getting now?

Well it is better than during lunch THAT'S FOR SURE! ;D

Game has two problems in my opinion.
Recently there were several FOC updates that streamlined UI and Game play in general. Addition of several dome shapes to chose from and passages actually made a huge difference. So called command center (all the collony spread sheets) is helpful as well. All of this made much more enjoyable.
On the other hand it is no longer difficult at all... You see at Lunch there was a lot of micro to handle, and most of the difficulty came from bad AI and doing menial tasks over and over, and infamous cable fault and pipe leaks that very often were COLONY KILLERS - No Kidding! On top of that maintenance was a nightmare. It was since, tweaked, addition of new toys helps out. Basically if your colony is sustainable and survives past sol (day) 20 basically you are set to go, then only thing that can cause you trouble and spur game a little is mistery that hits usually between sol 50 and 75.

Regarding paid DLC:

The entire theme of the DLC "the race" and rival colonies don't do much for me. At first I relay got into it - "I have to get the milestones before them and such" but after getting basically first 5-7 without any competition whatsoever I just started to ignore them - they do not provide enough pressure. And I'm not into "diplomacy" and all that fluff. Planetary anomalies are neat. And I always loved asymmetrical game play so special buildings and "vehicles" are my kind of thing :D. Some are great others are simply lame... hard to tell. It is a little overpriced in my opinion. And requires additional balancing in my opinion.

I can't be the only first time player to put my starting rovers to zero and struggle for many sols trying to start a colony with just the main rover? o_O:D

It would be nice to be able to have a 'humans only' option/start