• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello there! With our Curiosity update on the horizon, it is time for a new dev diary exploring the new features added to the game. All features and content in the update are free for everyone and will be added to the game as soon as the update goes live.

New Domes
tKFNhSWb2p4RtH75Z415g8oawvkrAZa6DE0F2CbmzGguH1fETHxTpXakaKnvri95SROVXCeERc_IENvMwkCmNG2zq14FEFKjJfZNYinnRyxOKgIxZyVl6TmAR7C_jey0XoCaNrSpFGTkiprcjQ

Curiosity introduces five new Dome types to the game. These are not skins or variants of the old Domes, but entirely new models with new shapes, functionality and costs. With one exception, they do not require new techs to be researched. Each of them is unlocked together with one of the old Domes, potentially by an existing tech. This means that many of them may be directly available even when you load a savegame created before the Curiosity update.

ZcStQWDlYNc1U72otK5rFXtr_DGGmovs-UBIJ0GUW8Sj7WIJLJgjpTUultihq-j4GxCviS9KB5roUJ1OB2PymYJwzhUjbobeHkeQxdEvpBXeAKISvPMwYKoGXcQRPFhyLkrKUv_oLJodcSuDcg

• Micro Dome - a very cheap triangular Dome available at the start. No capability to host a Spire. Can be very useful when space or resources are limited or as an extension to an existing Dome when connected with passages.

• Barrel Dome - an alternative to the Small Dome, available at the start. It provides more usable space but has no capability to host a Spire.

• Trigon Dome - similar to the Medium Dome and made available at the same time. Cheaper to build, but provides less habitable space.

• Mega Trigon Dome - similar to the Large Dome and made available at the same time. Cheaper to build, but provides less habitable space. The triangular shape can be kinda tricky to position on some places of the map with a Dome that big.

• Diamond Dome - this is the only new design that requires a new tech, more specifically a breakthrough, so it will not be available in every playthrough. It is a rhombus-shaped Dome that has the capability to host two spires. We want to keep the "two spire" Dome configurations special and somewhat exclusive but with the new design, we are increasing the chance that you get at least one of the two available configurations during any of your games.
b5MhFKnr73eJeNr6pDgennborsRAwPfiA5R4Lk7DxDuMEDUQ7PWPn550WP7y8n7tKFFBv9XpK8QmrTgWMoj8DqPQmLdyfehUtJ_IE2Y_aAKujelbGWYaKmCnISisfC2e3BuvSbMcRZDxqWJuxA

Command Center

The Command Center is a handy new toolset that provides historical data for the colony and the ability to inspect and manage multiple buildings, colonists or vehicles without selecting them individually. It has been developed as part of our effort to reduce the micromanagement and to provide a more informative overview interface for certain gameplay aspects. The Command Center currently offers five different tools:

• Graphs - view historical data for various colony metrics for the last 50 Sols

• Buildings - inspect and manage buildings, work shifts, workers and upgrades

• Domes - inspect and manage Domes and Dome Policies. Check average dome stats, as well as homes and jobs at a glance.

• Colonists - inspect Colonists and compare their stats, traits and interests. Locate problematic colonists quickly.

• Transportation - inspect and manage Drones, Shuttles and Transporters. Check Drone/Shuttle load at a glance and reassign Drones without hunting individual controllers in the normal view
YgqMqzKjHRmCJ0_S8ZW8AZPKHiP9_LBP96dDE9wP9ovZCNpeipYzE113WSx22LKDJFP7Tn2SprjBn8vjthZ4JEKAWeOxtFHcnBCUNiOCb5gjnbXTjp0Dr6_oXwQ9C5eoYGh3xXBgdkx7Ua7-cQ

Buildings and Colonists can be filtered by various criteria. If you want to upgrade only some of the extractors in the colony, you can filter out all extractors, quickly check them out in the view on the left side of the screen and upgrade only the ones that you want, all without closing the Command Center. You can use combinations of filters as well - for example, to hunt down all problematic colonists that live in a particular Dome.

The Command Center has been integrated with other existing game interfaces such as the Colony Overview and the Dome Filter - double-clicking a trait in the Dome Filter will open the Center filtering Colonists with this trait in the specified Dome. We plan to keep improving the Command Center and adding new options to it in the future, so any suggestions are welcome. Once the update goes live, please share what kind of information or management tools would you like to see added down the road!

Info Bar
JH14Sx3VAsB1H6R8870LcYbexq0FfZaZ7ZZL76E-kx3zE2O5xHHC_xaiJHu_z0Udr5lvjAXYd9ULsKLxf9Aoi-hZmMc4BuUmAZ195JwN_C_wVh0sgI55CmPjOOzCVmCpmYe4S0-59NheHL7G_g

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - I love mods! Not only they empower the players to expand the game and make it cooler, but we can also cherry pick the ideas that we like best and shamelessly add them to the official game.

One such mod that has been particularly popular both with the community and here, at Haemimont Games, is the Info Bar mod, created by Waywocket. We liked Waywockets' info bar so much that we decided to add an Info Bar of our own to the game. As you can see in the screenshot, our Info Bar shows research progress but is otherwise very similar to the mod that inspired it. Thanks for the great idea, Waywocket, may your nickname live forever in our credits!

Tutorial

Until now I talked about the stuff I love - Domes, Mods and cool management interfaces. Let me tell you about the feature that almost every developer hates - the tutorial. Tutorials are notoriously hard to develop and maintain, and even a very good tutorial is often perceived as some kind of obstacle before the actual game experience. Still, tutorials may be necessary, as we learned the hard way with the launch of Surviving Mars. The feedback of many new players can be summed up by one simple sentence - "How do I play this game?"

Creating a tutorial after release may seem like a waste of effort, but we really want to make our game more welcoming to newcomers and we see this tutorial as very important for the future health of Surviving Mars. So we drew straws and my unlucky colleague Boyan was chosen to design and produce a comprehensive tutorial to be created by a pack of grumpy programmers (like wizards, programmers tend to be grumpy, but the ones working on tutorials are particularly so). Turns out Boyan took "comprehensive" a little too literally, so we now have a huge five-part monster of a tutorial on our hands. He is still recovering from the development of the damn thing, but we are quite happy with the result! It will certainly be helpful to newcomers, even if most of the existing players would never need it.

----------------------------
The Curiosity Patch (if all goes to plan) will be released on Monday (28 May) on PC, Mac and Linux and on Console on June 12th! Be sure to tune in to our special feature spotlight stream with Susie and Niki on Monday 28th at 15:00 CEST (https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive). Patch notes will be uploaded here on the forum on Monday!

**EDIT** Curiosity will be released on PC sometime this week. Probably Thursday, but we will let you know for sure tomorrow. The delay is because the Devs have found some very naughty bugs that need to be destroyed before we let you guys have your fun! Patch notes will go up when Curiosity releases! (Curiosity is still expected to go live on console on June 12th!). Thanks !

**Edit** Curiosity will be released tomorrow (Thursday 31 May) at 10am CEST! It will be released on console on 12 June.

Last edited:
How big is the microdome? What's the floorplan?

These domes look awesome, and hopefully that command center is powerful enough to cut my time playing "find the idiot and order him to an idiot dome" down to almost nothing.

Looking forward to this! The command centre especially looks like a great addition!

With the new domes; does the footprint of the dome (i.e. the serviceable area around the dome and the area affected by obstacles) reflect the shape of the dome or will it still be a circle around it?

Are there any practical difference between the diamond and oval dome? Are they the same size and price?

Is there a list of but fixes and quality of life changes with this update or are they to be released later?

Thought we'd be waiting ages for this, thanks for quick turnaround and responsiveness to the community!

Thank you for the update. All is looking great.

Is this update also going to contain a fix to the framerates on ps4?

I cant reach 250 colonists without the game slowing down. Also the drones and shuttles arnt smooth and flicker graphically.

Thank you.

I really love that you guys so obviously care about making the game better. Those kind of technical updates are sadly not my cup of tea, even though I recognize that they are necessary, so I won't be going back to the game for the time being, and I sincerely hope you'll soon make improvements and additions to the "build a new martian civilization" aspect of the game. Cheers!

Nice. By the way, this dev diary is not showing on the forums main page, I only knew of it because of your twitter account, may be a good idea to promote it there.

Any update on when GOG will get proper mod support on par with the Steam version? That is, a built-in mod manager like Factorio has. Currently, mod support on GOG is extremely limited compared to Steam, despite both versions of the game costing the same.

Will it be easier to add passages to these domes? I feel like we could get really interesting landscapes and playthrough with these dome designs but I think there should be a kind of passage that doesn’t take up build space.

Info Bar
JH14Sx3VAsB1H6R8870LcYbexq0FfZaZ7ZZL76E-kx3zE2O5xHHC_xaiJHu_z0Udr5lvjAXYd9ULsKLxf9Aoi-hZmMc4BuUmAZ195JwN_C_wVh0sgI55CmPjOOzCVmCpmYe4S0-59NheHL7G_g

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - I love mods! Not only they empower the players to expand the game and make it cooler, but we can also cherry pick the ideas that we like best and shamelessly add them to the official game.

One such mod that has been particularly popular both with the community and here, at Haemimont Games, is the Info Bar mod, created by Waywocket. We liked Waywockets' info bar so much that we decided to add an Info Bar of our own to the game. As you can see in the screenshot, our Info Bar shows research progress but is otherwise very similar to the mod that inspired it. Thanks for the great idea, Waywocket, may your nickname live forever in our credits!

At a glance, having four digits in the resource numbers is kinda hard to read. You're usually only concerned about the first two digits and how many digits the number has (eg. 1.1k, 250, 16 instead of 1189, 251, 16.5); would shortening the numbers be possible before release? Or moddable right out the gate if not?

Also, how do people feel about exact numbers for how close you are to finishing a tech? I've always felt that it's a bit more immersive to have a progress bar, never knowing exactly how much time you have left before completion. Changing this could make the bar cleaner, though I have no idea how to do the UX here without putting it down next to the tech button like with this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1337070623

All that said, DORITO DOMES! YES! So looking forward to reading the patch notes on Monday.

Maybe they should fix some coding first: I set all domes but one to refuse seniors and when they all went to the one dome where seniors were allowed I turned off all electric, water and air. As you can imagine they all started dying but instead of leaving on the next rocket, stayed to die. Now I know that they will leave Mars if comfort reaches zero but why not leave when about to die? POOR HEALTH SHOULD LOWER COMFORT. After all how comfortable would it be suffocating? Do you think this is bad coding?

Maybe they should fix some coding first: I set all domes but one to refuse seniors and when they all went to the one dome where seniors were allowed I turned off all electric, water and air. As you can imagine they all started dying but instead of leaving on the next rocket, stayed to die. Now I know that they will leave Mars if comfort reaches zero but why not leave when about to die? POOR HEALTH SHOULD LOWER COMFORT. After all how comfortable would it be suffocating? Do you think this is bad coding?
Maybe they just didn't factor in genocidal pragmatists such as yourself?

I'm pretty certain with enough morphine anyone can be comfortable even when dying horribly.

This happens when a game fails to make theirdigital humans feel alive.
When the Humans in a Videogame are developpedin a way that they only show functional behavior (walking, eating, working, sleeping, talking) but no emotional behavior (Cheering, crying, arguing, hugging, flirting, playing) they are seen as human-looking blobs with no souls. That makes genocide a valid optimisation tool instead of a horrible crime.
Your seniors consume resources, don't contribute to the society anymoe and aren't likely to do so ever again, so you get rid of them. Simple mathematics.
I assume, you would not condone killing the old and sick just because they consume resources without generating any IRL. If you did, although I would understand the logic, I would view you as a terrible human being.
IRL, I would only support such acts as a last resort, if it was really about the survival of the Community. Meaning, if they were consuming resources productive members of society needed to survive. And even then i'd see it as something horrible.