• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BlackCrown

Private
67 Badges
Apr 2, 2017
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
Earldom of Lothian And Tweeddale
YmqtVcJ.png

Current Head: Aldrich of Lothian
Reigning Regent: Alfred of Lothian
Titles: Earl of Lothian And Tweedale
Heir Apparent: Alfred of Lothian
Dynasty: House of Lothian

Last edited:
House of Lothian
YmqtVcJ.png

Earl Aldrich of Lothian - Born in November, 696 AD
In his prime, Aldrich served as one of Æthelbald's most competent commanders during his unification campaign. Serving his lord with loyalty and cunning, Aldrich would be gifted the fiefs of Lothian in the year 735 AD, and Tweedale in 739 AD. Despite being famous for his militaristic feats, Aldrich would live the latter stages of his life in relative peace. Aldrich would dedicate his life to the arts and God, and would rule benignly over his fiefs, collecting few tithes. However, he too now lies on his death bad, and though ruler in name, his power has been usurped by his appointed regent and son, Alfred of Lothian.

Regent Alfred of Lothian- Born in October, 721 AD
(Reigning Regent and Heir Apparent)
Seizing power from his father in the year 765 AD, Alfred retained his father's military skills, but unfortunately not his soft temperament. Bold, brash, and a drunkard, but also highly skilled, Alfred is both revered and mocked by his peers and maintains a tenuous balance between respect and disgrace in the Kingdom's court. Alfred believes himself to be the protector of England from the "northern savages" and rightful heir to the land they rule, calling for the unification of Great Britain. Despite his militant nature, he retains his father's love of the arts and is well known for creating, at best, "amateur" art work. He is married to a relatively minor courtier, Lady Godiva, and has a ten year old son named after Æthelbald the Great.

Lord Barnett of Tweeddale - Born in 729 AD?
Alfred's appointed Spy Master and close advisor, it is said Lord Barnett has an eye in every tavern and a coin in every soldiers purse. Thin, frail, and soft spoken, Barnett poses an unimposing figure, however, many in Alfred's court refuse to deal with the man, citing his bizarre habits and tendencies. Where Barnett came from is unknown, though he claims Tweeddale as his home county, as he was mysteriously hired by Alfred upon his father's sudden loss of good health. Though he has no martial nor economic skill, Alfred often calls upon Barnett to "convince" those he is meeting with. As far as is known, Barnett is neither married, nor does he have a child.​

Last edited:
A Letter from a Scot

A mysterious scotsman arrives in Lothian, his clothes made for cold climates and the colors faded, with what appears to be an envelope. The Guards are wary due to the hostility with Scots and them being close by. However he bears the seal of the House of Anglia and they finally allow him in. The Scotsman gives you the letter to read from his Liege from whom he travelled. With the liege incapable, he then gives the letter to you as the regent. Guards check the messenger for weapons, with the tensions and the ruler sick, one can never be too careful. You decide to open the envelope to read. It reads:

To the benevolent Regent Alfred of Lothian,
Your Father and I once fought against each other in the Scottish Campaign, before my defection to the just King, Æthelbald the Great. Even on opposing sides, I admired your father's competency. Then I defected in the great Scottish defection, joining and while I am not as trusted as your father and never attained as big a commanding title on the English side, I did admire his competency when I fought against him and the later when I fought for him. The old king is dying and sick. I am a scot and an Englishman. We, the rulers of the northern Earls need to band together. We are the first defense against the invaders from the North. As such, I believe we should help support each other in gaining more power and prestige over the northern frontier provinces to bolster the English defense. Your father and I were once enemies, I then defected and even fought under his command in the war. Thus, I wish to offer you an offer of mutual help both against enemies of the realm and in strengthening our positions within the realm, perhaps even convincing his royal highness, the King to grant us duchies and for our two dynasties to become friends and allies. It is thus my wish for us, once enemies, then allies to become friends and I invite you to spend a visit in my realm when you have the time. Assistance is especially beneficial now with the realm cracking around us as far-reaching provinces start seceding and the great king, dying. As well, please convey my best wishes to your father, once my enemy and then my commander for a short time.

May your family have heath and you be a wise and just ruler
Sincerely, Earl Wulf of Lancaster, Earl of York

A Letter from a Scot

A mysterious scotsman arrives in Lothian, his clothes made for cold climates and the colors faded, with what appears to be an envelope. The Guards are wary due to the hostility with Scots and them being close by. However he bears the seal of the House of Anglia and they finally allow him in. The Scotsman gives you the letter to read from his Liege from whom he travelled. With the liege incapable, he then gives the letter to you as the regent. Guards check the messenger for weapons, with the tensions and the ruler sick, one can never be too careful. You decide to open the envelope to read. It reads:

Your Father and I once fought against each other in the Scottish Campaign, before my defection to the just King, Æthelbald the Great. Even on opposing sides, I admired your father's competency. Then I defected in the great Scottish defection, joining and while I am not as trusted as your father and never attained as big a commanding title on the English side, I did admire his competency when I fought against him and the later when I fought for him. The old king is dying and sick. I am a scot and an Englishman. We, the rulers of the northern Earls need to band together. We are the first defense against the invaders from the North. As such, I believe we should help support each other in gaining more power and prestige over the northern frontier provinces to bolster the English defense. Your father and I were once enemies, I then defected and even fought under his command in the war. Thus, I wish to offer you an offer of mutual help both against enemies of the realm and in strengthening our positions within the realm, perhaps even convincing his royal highness, the King to grant us duchies and for our two dynasties to become friends and allies. It is thus my wish for us, once enemies, then allies to become friends and I invite you to spend a visit in my realm when you have the time. Assistance is especially beneficial now with the realm cracking around us as far-reaching provinces start seceding and the great king, dying. As well, please convey my best wishes to your father, once my enemy and then my commander for a short time.

The Scotsman is quickly handed a letter to return to his master, as well as new provisions and a swig of beer handed to him from Regent Alfred himself. Soon after, the Scotsman is sent on his way, and Alfred orders a room to be set aside for future representatives from the House of Anglia.

To his most favored Eorl Wulf of Lancaster and York,
Your name is no stranger to my words, my father rarely spoke of his times at war, but when he did, he often spoke of you. He considered you a good man and a rival, one who knew when was proper to retreat and pursue, and, underneath his guidance, a man who he could confide in, and was glad to hear your kind words. For such a man to be held in such regard by him, you must truly be a man of great virtue and character, for even the most prestigious of Englishmen, much less a Scot, have tried and failed to win my father's friendship. It would my honor for our dynasties to be united in friendship and support, brothers in our region and war. I must also agree with you analysis of the precarious situation and I fear the dark tides that will come when his majesty dies. It is likely that without strong guidance and protection, pretenders shall claim the throne, and the realm shall be engulfed in civil war, even disregarding our treacherous neighbors to the North. In that dark time, we must stand as the realm’s protectors, not only from the Northern threat, but also the dark whispers in the new king's ear. In order to keep our realm together, and in the name of a new friendship, I agree to mutually support our realms, and shall petition the King for you to receive a Duchy. I hope you shall return to me the same kindness. I hear word that your neighbors, the Strathclyde, have become restless and have placed their eyes on the realms of the Northern Eorls. You shall have my assistance should they attack, and should you so choose, perhaps we should strike first. Your kind wishes for my family are reciprocated, and let it be known that you, your heir, and your representatives shall always be welcome in the Court of Lothian.​
Your peer and fellow vassal, Regent Alfred of Lothian​

A letter arrives from Buckingham:

To the Earl-Regent Alfred of Lothian, Protector of the North,

I send this regarding the ill news from the royal court. Although I have no doubt word has long since reached your realm, I fear that news of the king's sudden illness still has yet to truly take hold in most of England. His reign has been ongoing for longer than most of us have been alive, and even in my own court there's almost a sense of denial: No-one will outright say it, but there seems to be this unspoken assumption that he will recover shortly and bless us with another hundred-years of rule.

I, however, fear this is not the case, and with Prince Æthelheard's elevation to heir being so recent I fear he may not be ready to hold the crown. It's for this reason that I write to you, hoping to find an ally in my attempts to keep this realm united should the worst take place and we lose our dear king: The prosperity that Æthelbald's reign brought us has made us far richer than any of our predecessors, and I believe we owe it to him to keep his kingdom united even after his passing.

Sincerely,
Leofræd, Earl of Middlesex​

To the court comes small group of people led by Earl Adrian of Pless. The newcomers ask for audience with Regent Aldrich of Lothian.

After a few minutes of confusion and murmuring amongst the guards, the visiting party is given a minor search before being led to Aldrich. Aldrich is clearly as suprisised as the guards at the sudden visistation, but quickly prepares himself. “Here Earl Adrian, you and your party must take a seat. I trust you have travelled a long way from your home earldom, and could use some rest and luxury.” He signals over to a nearby chair and table. “What brings you to my humble abode, and can I get you and your compatriots something to drink or eat? Please, speak freely.”

Young Earl crounches before Regent Aldrich and tells following:
- Dear neighbour, I came to your court following letter sent to me by yourself. I came to swear fealty to you, in hope for finding security of my people and myself under your arms. I also come to you in proposal to make petition for enstablishing Duchy of Lothian to our King. I'd ask, if that's not a problem, if you will be willing to support my personal petition to His Royal Majesty for giving me nearby Earldom of Roxburgh aswell.

Alfred is once more clearly surprised, while the Earl-to-be had hoped to gain such a vassal, he had believed it to be an impossibility. After a few, admittedly awkward, moments of pause, the regent begins his response: “It is to my great surprise and delight that you, my fellow vassal and peer, would wish to swear vassalage to one such as me, but please stand. While it would be my greatest honor and pleasure to accept you as my vassal, it would go against our fair king to do so without his approval. When we pay due visit to the King’s court, I shall broach the subject to our lord, and raise the issue over the title of Roxburgh. Until then, let us walk as equals underneath the guidance of the King of Saxons. However, it would be rude for me to send you off with nothing to gain, I invite you and your attendants to make yourselves welcome here, and to join me and my courtiers out on a hunting trip. Do feel free to stay in Lothian for as long as you wish, and please do stay the night, it would surely make communications between our houses simple and direct.”

Adrian standed and answered to Alfred:
- Thank you greatly for your proposal. I'll stay in your court for a while, up to the moment of coronation of our king. I don't want to miss it nor avoid meeting with you, but we've to stay loyal to our king, no matter who'd him be. I'm aware that of civil war if somebody among English nobility decide to actually contest inheritance of our king. Also I'm afraid that with recent events with Straghlycyde our domains will be first in direct risk of being attacked or involved in war. I'm looking for strong security to my people and stability in the Kingdom. Being actually very weak noble with foreign titles not encompassing English lands, I fear that my folk would suffer greatly.
I may be of noble origin, but actually it changes nothing in comparison to other Berwickians. They're honest folk and I don't deserve to have them suffering.
I'll follow you with coming to king's coronation, but please, don't avoid it earlier.
As last thing I wanted to ask is the fact, that I'm childless and don't have any spounce neither. May I ask if you're willing to find a woman desireable in your court, who may marry me? I'd gladly ally with you by that way.

Wulf's Letter

The same scotsman arrives in Lothian, with what appears to be an envelope. The Guards are much less wary than before knowing the messenger now. He bears the seal of the House of Anglia and they quickly allow him in to Anglia's room, where they call you to. The Scotsman gives you the letter to read from his Liege from whom he travelled. With the liege incapable, he then gives the letter to you as the regent. You decide to open the envelope to read. It reads:

I have recently received your reply to my letter and am gladdened at your recognition of me from your father's tale and responsive attitude. As we both know, the King has recently died. We agree for us both to have duchies and with the new King uneasy on the throne, surely we can support him and upon his recognition of our support, from his benevolence indeed he many give us a reward. It is thus my wish that we both ally together and together join forces both against those who would dare threaten the throne and inside the country at those who can be filled by gold into plunging the fragile realm into civil war. We also ask for you to prepare to invade Strachclyde if it fails to give the rightful tribute to the English crown and showing it why that is not in its best interests

Last edited: