HOI4 Dev Diary - Post-release chat

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hello everyone! Its now a week since Death or Dishonor and 1.4 Oak released! Doing a release brings a lot of focus on both old bugs and new things so we have tried to be on the ball and work on the 1.4.1 patch. This is currently in open beta for those adventurous people who want to help us test.

Lets discuss the high profile stuff
  • Several fixes to Allied ai naval invasions - This is an oldie, but I think we might have finally come to terms with it. The issue was smaller invasions peppering Germany before they fight the soviets (and thus are guaranteed to beat stuff back basically wasting the troops). This could also trigger cases where the same low org units would continuously do the same thing over and over which should also be sorted now
  • Nations with no special focus tree would randomly swap out leaders - This was a bit of an embarrassing messup on our part which we have now fixed. Although its made me want to have assigned traits to all historical national leaders...
  • Many edge cases and small fixes for focus trees. We are a little unhappy with how much small stuff that slipped through, so for next release we will be changing some stuff with how we do testing. The team has worked like champs and fixed a lot fast though for 1.4.1.
  • Our awesome artist didn't have many bugs to deal with so she has added a bunch of new historical portraits to the game (Baltic countries, South America and Bulgaria. See changelog for details)
  • Finally, we've had a bit of a longer project we started when we kept finding weird edge cases and bugs in the air system to replace that old snake-pit of code with stuff that is easier to balance and that doesn't act up. Several of the fixes in 1.4 brought back issues with air wing sizes mattering for casualty counts and the like. For you as a player it just means we fixed some bugs, but for us its now easier to work with which will be great long term or if we want to keep making more changes.
So when do you get your hands on this? its in open beta now as I said so you can try it out if you feel brave (some more stuff is likely to make it in too as it gets spotted in testing). Otherwise if no scary things we broke or missed popped up we will be releasing it live next week. Check out patchlog below for details:

Patchnotes:
################################################################
########### Patch 1.4.1 "Oak" ###########
################################################################

##################################
# Highlights & Important
- Units getting pushed back in naval invasions are now removed from the order so they won't automatically try it again (no more ping pong)
- Fixed the Stug tech icon to have correct barrel length
- Major rewrite of air combat system (the underlying stuff), should now have less wierd special cases and be easier to balance
- Fixed issue where generic leaders would be replaced randomly in the world due to mistake in focus tree

# AI
- Fixed a case where Chinese AI would delete units incorrectly due to supply evaluation
- Fixed case where AI would think that it was being encircled and would pile up its divisions in few provinces and abandon fronts
- Took care of another situation that cause indecisive units
- Made AI respect waiting after already sending lend lease requests
- A fix for front abandonment that makes it spread out the units being taken from other fronts
- Units getting pushed back in naval invasions are now removed from the order so they won't automatically try it again (no more ping pong)
- Several tweaks to allied AI to avoid "suicide invasions" agaisnt axis nations before they are at war with soviets
- Germany no longer wastes time prepping naval invasiosn vs france just before it takes around maginot
- Made sure AI cannot pick event options with weight 0 if another option with higher score exists
- AI now considers enemies as obstacles when planning invasions on nations its not yet at war with when comparing fleets leading for less wasted preparation
- ai can now cancel invasions that are bad if started during a time they were ok
- Fix for case where Germany would use too aggressive stance versus maginot line again
- Air AI can now evaluate zones for bombing and such more than 1-2 zones away
- Tweaked ai_chance for all CZE events to be saner
- If CZE exists when Germany demands Danzig from poland, they will now be very interested in joining the war rather than waiting for Germany to get around to beating them

# UI
- Fixed UI bug that made GER to never show tech bonuses
- Splitted "In Combat: x83" tooltip into two. Now In Combat shows default combat speed (x33) and movement gain from tactics is shown separately
- Double click in army list now deselects previous selection if shift is down
- Mission icons on the map should now include port strike
- Movement bonus from tactics were being shown in damage tooltip of a unit in battle window, remove it from tooltip.
- Added missing localization for base strike research bonuses
- Can now unassign aces with right-click like tooltip says
- Added a new text icon for cost in license production screen
- Added tooltip for air wing state
- Create airwing interface properly resets the right side when all planes are removed
- Tweaked license tooltip in production view to be somewhat clearer
- Changed Hungary 1936 bookmark to highlight restoration of Austria-Hungary

# Modding
- Fixed a problem with the format for build_army strategy

# Database
- Added missing localization for UNITS_VIEW_WINGS_COUNT in French
- Fixed missing faces for Congo
- Fixed a misspelled loc string in war goals
- Fixed the Stug tech icon to have correct barrel length
- Fixed some issues with ship names in 00_GER_names
- Made dead sea a lake
- Fixed a number of mistakes and inconsistencies in German OoB
- Improved several items of flavor text for CZE focuses
- added HMS Dreadnought to Royal Navy ship names
- added cosmetic tag for Hungary if it elects a King but then changes ideology away from neutral (democratic, fascist branch)
- fix for a missing event picture gfx that has been in since launch and wasn't noticed
- fix for US missing air wing names for jets
- East/west germany now get nicer colors and dont bug out
- Fixed incorrect portrait for Horthy when admiral
- fixed an issue with news event 311 refering to the wrong country
- Added 4 new portraits for South america for historical leaders for Peru, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay
- Added new portrait for Bulgarian fascist leader
- Hooked in three new portraits for Baltic leaders (Police is still hunting for the set of identical triplets that were impersonating them)
- Added proper Slovenian and Slovakian flags (honestly at this point I dont even know which one is correct /Podcat)
- Added pdxcon magic winner portrait to generic soviet portrait list
- Dramatically improved communist Korea by using DPRK (best Korea) flag AGAIN
- Fixed 2 missing images in Romanian/hungarian events

# Balance
- Lowered the amount of ground based planes that can enter naval combats over time
- Reduced cost for giving core states back to our puppets
- Slightly increased fascist support in Hungary fascist king chain
- Rebalance of additional building slots for Serbian rail network focus
- Fixed a balance issue with Integrated/Serbian rail network focuses in Yugoslav tree
- Fix for air accidents being scaled depending on the number of wing
- Increased manpower requirements for CZE alliance with Germany focuses by 50k each
- fix for Romania being able to appoint a government friendly to a faction they are at war with

# Bugfix
- Fixed the bug when conversion could not convert last pieces of equipment
- Removed Demand Transnistria from the Romanian historical focus list. Romania should no longer think attacking the soviet union is a great idea
- Fixed bug where technologies was not updated in case of unlocking tech from another technology folder
- Fixed bug where some modifiers were not applied to airplanes after loading a save
- Fix for Soft Attack/Hard Attack values ignoring some combat bonuses in battle gui
- Overriding an idea with custom name, now overrides the modifier name as well, instead of using idea ID as key
- Fix for trade path not being recalculated when strait control has changed
- Fixed for a potential issue if CZE becomes a puppet of AH that may lead to intra-faction warfare
- Fix for dual mediation events in Transylvania chain (RIP Katya's sanity)
- Germany should now only leave the Romanian Tech group if Romania is in a faction germany is not in
- Changed the Sudetenland failsafe event to give the war goal against the controller of Sudetenland (was hardcoded to CZE)
- changed "His Majesty' loyal government" to work even if Hungary did not roll over in the event
- Fixed Horty not being leader of Hungary at gamestart without DoD
- Fixed an issue where Germany could be stuck with the Demand Sudetenland focus under some circumstances
- Made the demand Transylvania event chain remove the correct core (North Transylvania) for Romania if they instantly fold.
- Fixed a bug where generic unit names would not work if starting letters were the same for different generics
- Fixed an issue where existing airwing names were never returned to the pool
- Fixed a bug where traded away resources decreased amount of factories available for trade
- Fixed CZE only being angry with Allies if they decide not to fight over Southern Slovakia (CZE now always angry, all the time)
- Fix for Zalozie not being transfered if Soviet union honors MR pact
- Added a number of sanity checks for AH reclamaition focuses (must not be in faction with owners of claimed provinces)
- fixed an issue where the Ljubljana award could give out states not owned by Germany or Yugoslavia
- "Death or Dishonor or Cake" achievement now has a tooltip that tells the player to have Carol II as the country leader.
- Fix for Yugoslavia being allowed to try and buy planes from a country they are at war with
- Blocked vanilla YUG coup event if player has DoD
- Fix for Yugoslavia spawning Croatia even if they did not own the territory
- Fix for Czech-Slovak civil war not actually being between Czechs and Slovaks
- Fixed issue where aid event from Sweden to Hungary after getting democratic king would fire more than once
- Equipment conversion now properly converts to variants from older equipment
- Fixed bug where planes set on CAS mission could join naval battles without using naval strike mission
- Fix for two missing locs in Romania
- Overlord of CZE telling Germany to get bent during Sudetenland crisis now removes both CZE and Overlord from faction with Germany
- Fixed an issue where democratic Romania could not even handle King Carol II right now (or ever, really)
- Fix for AH not being able to justify wargoals due to world tension being too low
- Fixed France being able to take CZE into their faction if they do little entente and AH puppets CZE
- Austria-Hungary should now get Banat if Romania folds in the event chain
- Fixed an issue where Romania could steal CZE from out under Austria-Hungary by creating the Cordon Sanitaire
- Fixed fixedpoint overflow in peace conference which could give small nations lots of extra points
- Tweaked occupation rules fix for impassible zones, now it uses core and ownership prios
- Removed retire_country_leader from generic focus tree
- Fixed the bug when merging of airwings didn't update air wing manpower properly
- Fixed a few issues with yugoslavian historical focus list referencing focuses that no longer exist
- Fixed Bordergore if Hungary not in a position to gain state 73 in fate of CZE event chain (should go to SLO, now actually does)

###############################
# Stability & Performance
###############################
- Added safety code for terrain calculation when loading broken mod files (could lead to deleted units)
- Fixed stack out of bounds issue when generating unit names
- Fix for CTD in the airview details view
- Fixed CTD while tooltiping port strike air wing mission entry

I was going to share some cool statistics for the new nations and player data, but our database seems to be doing maintenance atm, so look forward to that next week instead!

Last edited:
Looking Great!

- Dramatically improved communist Korea by using DPRK (best Korea) flag AGAIN

Awesome....

Last edited:
Naval invasions being fixed will make a lot of people happy! :D

But don't forget to fix the Korea colour issue as well. I believe it's the same issue that West and East Germany had so hopefully it should be rather simple to fix.

Added proper Slovenian and Slovakian flags (honestly at this point I dont even know which one is correct /Podcat)
You did great job! :) But units still have old flags, next time you should fix that too.
Thanks Paradox.
Unit flag.jpg

• Our awesome artist didn't have many bugs to deal with so she has added a bunch of new historical portraits to the game (Baltic countries, South America and Bulgaria. See changelog for details)
Don't you think there could be more new Hungarian and Romanian generals added rather than Baltics or South Americans? There have been some very obvious examples left out of the DoD content (like Gustáv Jány and Mihail Lascar, to name a few).

Why no TAC in naval battles? :( :( :(

Don't you think there could be more new Hungarian and Romanian generals added rather than Baltics or South Americans? There have been some very obvious examples left out of the DoD content (like Gustáv Jány and Mihail Lascar, to name a few).

Or if they would finally replace the law professor that is currently assigned as Czechoslovak fascist leader.

Naval invasions being fixed will make a lot of people happy! :D

But don't forget to fix the Korea colour issue as well. I believe it's the same issue that West and East Germany had so hopefully it should be rather simple to fix.

yea, being investigated

You did great job! :) But units still have old flags, next time you should fix that too.
Thanks Paradox.
View attachment 278684

oh dear. well it wouldnt be a hoi patchlog without talking about those flags :D

Why no TAC in naval battles? :( :( :(

changing that for next patch update I think... but it was a bug that they could before

Any chance you revisit how much manpower you get from prince of terror minister?

In absolutely best case only Japan will get any notable amount of manpower even with new minister. Even Germany that conquered Europe can look at at only around 300k at All adults can serve, which is a pitance anyhow.

Well Ante Pavelic started out as a law professor too...:rolleyes:

Yes, the key difference is that Czechoslovakia actually had fascist party and Krejčí was not part of it, as far as I know he was not even politically active pre-Munich and after that only as part of puppet regime, because someone had to do it. Ante Pavelic was a politician and long time leader of fascist party.

I've been critical of the game's state since release, and I still question many of the design decisions.

But Oak was a huge step in the right direction. Great work! I can now go in and effect my own changes into the game, and not feel like it's pointless.

Any chance you revisit how much manpower you get from prince of terror minister?

In absolutely best case only Japan will get any notable amount of manpower even with new minister. Even Germany that conquered Europe can look at at only around 300k at All adults can serve, which is a pitance anyhow.

the bonus doubles the base value right? could maybe go a little higher. What would you consider enough to make it worth picking late game?

Thanks for the update, I did Death or Dishonor or Cake achievement on 1.4.1 last night and I'm glad for the fixes to conversion. I also like how you fixed the Congo leaders portraits as that is something I reported only last month!

Any chance when you are looking at Focus Trees the UK one can get some minor changes? Limited Rearmament and Naval Rearmament really shouldn't be adding factories in any random state, they should work like the Royal Ordinance Factories focus and ideally only add factories in the British Isles or at worst only in sensible states. Obviously working out what the sensible states (no Pacific or tiny islands, not in impassable wastelands, not in the Caribbean if the UK AI is always going to accept Destroyers for Bases, actually since Malaya was removed from the UK there aren't actually many places outside of the British Isles that make any sense to build factories) is going to take a lot longer, but it's absurd to see factories being added to tiny islands or wastelands with no population to support them on the other side of the planet.

Podcat, can you give a hint about your plans in the next couple of weeks? Do you anticipate another quickie 1.4.2 patch for this update, or are you shifting your focus to a more comprehensive 1.5 later in the summer?

yea, being investigated

oh dear. well it wouldnt be a hoi patchlog without talking about those flags :D

changing that for next patch update I think... but it was a bug that they could before

An issue I've come across before is also the incorrect country colours and have stated before (I believe on these forums?) which ones were broken, will be stating again to hope they're fixed; Pakistan, Isreal, Korea (As mentioned), Lebanon.

As I'm sure you're aware, to fix this they need to be defined within colors.txt

I disagree. Japan has been really buffed in 1.4 with the addition of Aluminium and the War Minister. Taking China and India gives them about 1b non-core population, and the prince of terror guy gives ~150k manpower. In my Japan games SP and MP, 2.5% manpower law is sufficient! If you are running out of manpower as Japan, you are doing something really wrong. Try using more Medium tanks to push your enemies. If despite that you are still desperate for manpower, you can create divisions out of your puppets.

Thx paradox for updating! I'll give HoIIV a second chance after a long time in which i havent been looking at it.

@podcat : are there plans to switch production from absolute factoriy allocation (10 factorys for tank1, 20factorys for infantry weapons, etc.) to a relative factory allocation (20% of existing useable factories produce tank1, 40% of my factories produce infantry weapsons etc.)? because it really annoys me all the time reallocating my factories in the production menu,...

Yeah that's good, almost all heads of state around the world in my Czechoslovak Game became generic. And I have a fascist India that is still called British Raj instead of Free India and is a Reichspotectorate of UK.