TfV and DoD focus trees "currently has no effect" on completion v1.4.0 (9b1f)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

liam_p

Recruit
83 Badges
Dec 21, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hi,

I'm formally submitting a bug from this forum thread
This is happening in 1.4.0 "Oak" and from this forum thread it was happening in 1.3 as well.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/this-focus-currently-has-no-effect.1000235/

Description:
In summary, for new nations brought in TfV and DoD, when you complete a national focus the "effect" description disappears and is replaced with "...currently has no effect..." - a specific example being British Raj and Provincial elections, but it seems to be the case for nearly all new focus trees (I obviously haven't tested every new nation and every focus). This is just cosmetic but annoying nonetheless.

DLC Information:
Together For Victory
Death Or Dishonor
Anniversary Pack
Historical German Portraits
Poland:United and Ready
A bunch of unit packs, let me know if knowing each one is important.

Mods:
Battlesound - Sound Modifications
(My checksum might be off as to troubleshoot the issue I messed around with the India national focus file)

Reproduction Steps:
Start game with one of the new nations, India for example
Look at a national focuses effects, Provincial Elections for example
complete said national focus
Take another look at this focuses effects
It will now say "This focus currently has no effect. Changes in the world situation may affect this."
Raj_Event_Van.png

Resolution/workaround Steps:
I took the liberty of investigating this and found two possible fixes for you, so hopefully this should be easy now :p

In the ..\Hearts of Iron IV\common\national_focus folder, for the nation files in question.
for example: India.txt then browse for id = RAJ_provincial_election
you will notice this section and it is empty.
complete_tooltip = {
}
So when you complete the focus the effect description disappears.
This seems to be the case for almost all of the focuses for all of the new nations from TfV and DoD

There are two ways of resolving it, remove the section entirely, or populate it.
Screenshot after I removed the section or populated it
Raj_Event_Mod.png

Upvote 0
Hello,
We are aware the issue and I'll go and poke the team about it!

It will probably be fixed in the upcoming 1.5 patch as it always comes with a lot of bugfixes. I found that the amount of focusses ''not having an effect'' is reduced from structural to some random occurings.

After having this not fixed after two dlcs worth of patches I decided to take a swing at fixing this and I think I've done it. In other words, I made a mod and uploaded it to the steam workshop. Go ahead and give this a try.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1328775338

@hyperk2, I'm having some difficulties getting this mod to run. Could you be so kind as to post the descriptor.mod file here, please? I can open the actual \common\national_focus\*.txt files, but strangely I can't open the .mod file, even if I copy the whole mod to another folder.

@SeekTruthFromFx
Here it is. I'm actually not all that experienced when it comes to modding this game so I don't know exactly how to troubleshoot the issue. Hopefully this helps.

Thank you; I'll check that out tonight.

@SeekTruthFromFx
Here it is. I'm actually not all that experienced when it comes to modding this game so I don't know exactly how to troubleshoot the issue. Hopefully this helps.

Thank you for writing the mod, @hyperk2: it all seems to work perfectly on the 1.5.1 open beta. :) When I loaded up my save, it initially didn't show me which focuses had been completed (as though my decryption level was too low), but once I unpaused, this was corrected.

On your Steam Workshop page, it says that all three main DLC are required. Actually, they're not. I only have TFV and the mod worked exactly as it should: I could see the DLC focus trees for the Commonwealth, but not the focus trees for DOD and WTT. So if you can change it, you might want to alter the requirements and explain in the Description that the mod works with or without any of the expansions. The new German and Japanese vanilla focuses seem to have been written with this bug too, so it's useful for everyone.

I think that's a good idea to re-write the mod description. Strangely enough, however, the new Germany focus tree was already good to go, just the Japanese one that got borked.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but as part of my personal mod I've been going through the DLC focus trees and fixing this issue - it happens because of the template Paradox decided to use for these focus trees, which means including every section, even if some/all of them are not used.

For example, if a focus has its bypass and available triggers left open, but there are no effects within those triggers, then you'll get the problems reported here. Unfortunately, whoever coded the original TfV trees decided to do things this way, and the template was copied for all subsequent DLC trees.

The solution is to go through every focus tree and delete any sections which are unused; i.e. if a focus does not actually use the following sections, then delete them entirely:

available = { }
bypass = { }
cancel = { }
complete_tooltip = { }

If you do this, and every focus only includes sections it actually requires and uses, then that weird text bug will go away. It's quite tedious, but I've been through all the focus trees and done this, as well as cleared up a number of other oversights and issues.

@podcat
@Archangel85