• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Bits & Bobs!

Hi everyone, sorry for the late diary. It was a little crazy at the office today coming back from the long weekend... But all is well that ends well, so here we go with our last real diary before release (next week is full patchlog etc). We will be talking about new subject levels, achivements, music, assorted QoL features and AI Update #3.

Music
Handing over this section to Andreas Waldetoft...
music1.jpg

Hi, my name is Andreas Waldetoft and I am the senior music composer here at Paradox.

We decided early on to make really aggressive war music and that it should be recorded with a live orchestra. What better orchestra to use for Death or Dishonor that focuses on eastern Europe then the Budapest Film Orchestra in Hungary.

Here is the orchestra after doing a particularly hard part in one of the tracks where I am shielded by bulletproof glass in case they were to throw an instrument at me:
music2.jpg

I would like to share a music excerpt from one of the tracks so that you can have a sneak peek of what to expect from the music. The ending part of the track in 15/8 over to 7/8 time signature was one of the parts where I had to hide behind the glass btw.

Here is a part of a song to listen to while you read the rest:

Axis Autonomy Levels
To follow up on the autonomy system from TFV we wanted to give fascist nations custom levels as well. These are a bit harder to break out from (since fascist nations tend to fight more this helps keeping them under control). The new levels all come with free equipment licenses from your master, which can be really powerful

Satellite
Subject manpower requirement = 40%
Bonus trade for overlord = 40%
Trade cost for master = -40%
All autonomy gain = -30%
Free license production with overlord.

Reichsprotectorate
Subject manpower requirement = 70%
Bonus trade for overlord = 60%
Trade cost for master = -60%
Civilian industry to overlord = 25%
All autonomy gain = -30%

Reichskommisariat
Subject manpower requirement = 90%
Bonus trade for overlord = 100%
Trade cost for master = -90%
Civilian industry to overlord = 25%
Military industry to overlord = 65%
All autonomy gain = -30%

Achievements
Death or Dishonor comes with 10 new achievements. 2 for each new nations and 2 unrelated.

The Balkan Powder Keg
the_balkan_powder_keg.jpg

As Yugoslavia, start the Second World War (i.e. be part of either the Axis or the Allies and at war with the other faction in a war you started)

Huge-oslavia
huge_oslavia.jpg

As Yugoslavia, occupy all your neighbouring countries (Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Italy and Greece)

Miklos Horthy and the Habsburg Prince
miklos_horthy_and_the_habsburg_prince.jpg

As Hungary, restore Austria-Hungary

Better than the Szent Istvan
better_than_the_szent_istvan.jpg

Have Miklos Horthy as a Naval commander and build a battleship

Czechmate
czechmate.jpg

As Czechoslovakia, occupy Canberra (Australia) while at war with the allies

The Munich Disagreement
the_munich_disagreement.jpg

As Czechoslovakia, occupy Munich while at war with Germany

Neither Death nor Dishonor
neither_death_nor_dishonor.jpg

As Romania, end the game with all the states you started it with and control either Moscow or Berlin

Death or Dishonor or Cake
death_or_dishonor_or_cake.jpg

Own a slice of all your starting neighbors as Romania

Lethal Straight
lethal_straight.jpg

Have a production license from at least 5 of the 7 major powers.

En Svensk Tiger
en_svensk_tiger.jpg

As Sweden, acquire a production license for a Tiger or Tiger II tank from Germany

AI Update #3
We figured the best way to do this was to lift stuff from the changelog directly and talk about it, so lets go!

Some AI plan and plan activation work:
- Made AI not bother with fallback orders if the area they would be defending is tiny. Makes the AI better at pushing after landing a naval invasion.
- Found and fixed some rare situational plan activation bugs.
- Fixed to pretty nasty issues with plan activation that caused France to act dumber than usual and charge across the Maginot line again.
- AI now rebuilds attack plans if they are almost done and getting stuck.
- Tweaked what AI sees as an easy target and weak units for better front activation.
- Overhauled AI plan activation and mode setting.
- Fixed mistake in AI fortification evaluation for plan activation, and made them better at taking advantage of weaknesses in fortified enemy fronts.

All in all, this would improve the AIs use of plans in most situations, both making them better at determining time for activation as well as replanning and when to even focus on attack. On a situation to situation basis, it may seem to have a small impact, but on a larger scale it is meant to make the AI feel more responsive and active.

Some interesting use of the new role functionality:
- Soviet and Germany should now prioritize tank destroyer technology as they are facing enemies with increasing armor.
- Germany and Soviet are now able to field anti armor divisions
- Added triggers for estimated max armor and piercing based on intel.
- Added trigger for if AI has fielded divisions of a certain role for AI template scripting.

Together with some new triggers, the AI can be made to respond to the enemy armor and piercing values in specific roles. Since the trigger for those two things are based on intel values, research encryption will matter, as keeping it higher will make the estimations worse. I hope modders find inspiration for even more interesting things with roles and designs being triggered by various things in the game state.

AI Research:
- Fixed case where AI could get stuck researching if only single techs ended up in its prio list and they were not possible to research
- Fixed an issue where AI would queue up tech targets too early so they were not correctly evaluated
- Rebalance of a lot of AI picking weights for techs. For example Artillery and certain industry techs are now more important
- Removed AI's special doctrine picking logic in favor of pure weights
- Tweaked many ai research weights to remove weird choices due to timing
- Fixed a combination of issues (mostly due to weird timing special case that made AI queue up non-optimal techs then stick to them on savegame load

There was a lot of research cases holding the AI back. Germany for example has a narrow window to get medium tanks ready for templates and production and if it queues up the wrong techs its pretty bad for it. We both tweaked ai selection weights as well as fixing a couple of tricky timing issues that meant that often it would end up picking worse techs in a long term strategy it thought was good a long time ago (so before it got ahead of tiem reduction focuses etc). This generally helped all AI nations, but a few like Germany and Soviets the most.

Ministers and Laws:
- Minors will now do economic mobilization laws if justified against rather than wait for tension or declaration of war (to help china)
- China now a bit more on the ball on manpower laws as they need to throw anything they can at the Japanese
- All nations will now be less spendy on admirals early on
- Soviet AI will no longer burn all its PP on admirals and be unable to change laws
- Chinese AI will now consider naval ministers less interesting
- Tweaked UK minister scoring to be more fitting and for better order
- Japan should now prefer industrial ministers a bit more
- Majors will now pick better economic laws even if not fascists earlier
When improving AI it tends to make conflicts turn out really differently (Japan vs China conflict ended in 1.5 years after we improved battleplanner AI). Before balancing these things from a historical standpoint we always want to make sure both sides are playing as good as possible, and there was a lot of cases where China would end up losing because it did not pick laws or ministers correctly. Thus we focused a bunch of attention there. This helped other nations a lot also and helped solve issues where the Soviets ended up burning their political power to spread out navies and such setting them back on laws and making them lose to Germany because of it.

We also did a whole bunch of balancing around the asian countries which you'll need to check full changelog for, but of note is that we added 79 new Aluminium that is accessible (through conquest, subjects or owned) and 32 steel. Japan in particular was really lacking some of its resources which also meshed badly with their historical number for those.

UI Updates
As part of Oak we have been updating some interfaces that we felt needed it. We talked about the war interface in an earlier diary and here is the trade interface:
upload_2017-6-7_16-39-30.png

Its much easier to see balance of resources now, and its possible to sort by convoys you'd need for those trades. Trade Influence is now in the export tooltip since it only really affects the export anyway and you seldom cared about it.

Another super sweet thing is that you can now double click on a division in the division list to select all of the same type (also works for airwings in the new airwing UI):
upload_2017-6-7_16-44-58.png

So if I double-clicked on one of those divisions all get selected.

We have also change rules for mapmodes, so they now only switch when going from major types (naval to air say). That means you can draw battleplans and control units in supply mapmode for example.

Next week on the 14th is release of Death or Dishonor and the 1.4 Oak Update. I'll have an early diary out with patchlog for you all to discuss. Pinky swear <3

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to doing the achievements since I 100% them yesterday in honour of the one year release. I'm also looking forward to the music, Paradox music is always amazing

The Ui improvements are welcomed!

Those achievements are gonna be awesome to obtain! Great job to the entire team, looking forward to June 14th!

EDIT: 'Neither Death Nor Dishonor' - what constitutes the game ending? reaching a particular year? Thanks for any help.

Hi :)
AI Update #3
This look like pretty cool :)
But I hope today stream is on a very old version, cause we saw Germany totally screw and failling at invading benelux (very low equipment level is maybe a clue why).

Cheers!
X.

Will autonomy levels Reichsprotectorate and Reichskommisariat have different names for different nations? Calling subjects Reichsprotectorates or Reichskommisariat does not make much sense for fascist nations other than Germany (e.g Italy or Japan).

PS: The AI improvements look promising

Nice :)

What does "free production licenses with overlord" mean? That the overlord can request any license from a puppet for 0 civilian factories? Or the other way around?

Can't wait to see the full changelog :)

If I inherit a mountain division from Austria as Germany and I want to outfit it as an infantry division, is there any way where I can insert it into the rearming queue and then have it be renamed in sequence to the other infantry divisions?

We have also change rules for mapmodes, so they now only switch when going from major types (naval to air say). That means you can draw battleplans and control units in supply mapmode for example.

Yay! Everything else looking good too. I still think the region sorting for the trade screen could be done more efficiently on screen usage to provide more useful and used information.

Definitely a lot of meat in this DD!

Axis Autonomy Levels

Will these Axis autonomy states be able to be set up even if the country has not capitulated, or do you have to actually annex to then go to these autonomy steps?

And will any of the majors be able to do construction in the territory of their minor allies?

but of note is that we added 79 new Aluminium that is accessible (through conquest, subjects or owned) and 32 steel. Japan in particular was really lacking some of its resources which also meshed badly with their historical number for those.

:D

Has there been any work done on the production side improving the line shutdown due to lack of resources issue?

:D on this. Being able to not have to switch back and forth from the resistance map when deploying suppression will be a nice QoL improvement.

I realize that some of these answers are likely sitting in the complete change log we will see on 6.14, just curious.

1.4 is looking better and better from what we are seeing in the DDs.

Nice work as ever @Jazzhole

Great to hear about more AI fixes.

@podcat Could I make a couple of UI suggestions? I use a mod called colourblind mod, one of the things it does is make the colours for division strength and organisation more different. Its a simple and very helpful change. Would you consider doing this?

Also all of those buttons to sort by geographical area in the trade screen are not very useful and take up loads of space. Maybe put them behind a drop down menu to free up more room?

EDIT: Also does the map mode rule thing mean that the resistance map mode will stay open when placing troops....? Please?

Great diary! Cant wait for release date!

One question, if as Germany I defeat USSR and liberate belarus, with what autonomy level will it be released?
To increase ot decrease autonomy level is it the same way as in TFV?