• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #51: The Roof of the World

Hi folks!

PDXCON 2017 is over and it was fantastic to meet so many of you! I got a lot of interesting suggestions and feedback on our games, including, of course, CK2. So, a special thank you goes out to those of you who were there!

Now then, let’s talk a bit about those ugly gray areas on the map; the wastelands. Aesthetically, I’ve never liked the gray color of wasteland provinces in the non-Terrain map modes, so I took some time to change it so that wasteland is now always shown as Terrain, regardless of map mode (we might add options for this in the settings. Let me know what you think!)

Northern Siberia and the Sahara deserve to be wasteland; it’s difficult to do anything more about that (we’ve already twisted and manipulated the map projection, etc.) However, the Himalayas and the vast Tibetan plateau are a different story… Though mountainous, the region contains many important population centers and religious sites and has a rich history of interaction with China, India and Central Asia. In essence, the only reason it’s a “wasteland” in CK2 is that we haven’t prioritized doing it justice.

tibet_full.png

Tibet, 1066. Note that any green Coat of Arms are placeholders.

I’ve never been happy with the way the eastern edge of the map feels like the edge of the world when, in fact, it should be a dynamic hub connecting at least four major civilizations (China, India, the Steppe Nomads and the Islamic world.) Well, the time to do something about that is now! In our working build, we have added the necessary provinces, new cultures (Bodpa, Tangut and Nepalese), new religions (Bön and Khurmazta), and title history for the entire region.

himalaya.png

The Himalayan mountains, 867.

The Bön religion is a pagan faith which functionally has many similarities with the Romuvan and Buddhist religions: It is very hard to convert, has access to Gavelkind, and unlike other pagan faiths it can not be reformed (though this might change in the future.) Instead, it starts off with the ability to designate heirs, just like Buddhists. It has also got a Patron Deity system like that of the Hindus and the “defensive” Pagans.

bon.png

Purang, one of the Bön religion's Holy Sites.

In addition, we are looking over the great Muslim conquerors (Sabuktigin, Seljuq and Timur) to make sure they usually rise, toning down the Indian Holy Orders and making them creatable (rather than existing from the start.) We also plan to add or expand on adventurers for more generic conquests into and out of the subcontinent especially.

There is more, but that would be revealing too much too soon. :) Stay tuned for the next dev diary!

EDIT: Todays livestreams are cancelled due to attrition from PDXCON.

Last edited:
Impressive, I think it would be good especially for those who won't stop talking about China's inclusion ;)

Out of curiosity will these new religions get societies, or are you guys scraping that system all together ?

@Doomdark :Balancing the East edge of the Map and fixing the Muslim Conquerors would be great. I think that the Mongols need to be looked at as well. Just to make games that start at the earliest dates 769AD and 867AD a challenge if nothing else.

I sort of miss the days of Mongol Supertroopers in <1.06. Which made playing anywhere east of HRE hard.

Impressive, I think it would be good especially for those who won't stop talking about China's inclusion ;)

Out of curiosity will these new religions get societies, or are you guys scraping that system all together ?

These religions will not get new Societies, but we're definitely not scrapping that system. I want to add more Societies down the line.

Would it be unreasonable to expect a 'Dalai Lama' type figure to rise up as a moral authority in the region?

Thus, according to such sources, an informal line of succession of the present Dalai Lamas as incarnations of Avalokiteśvara stretches back much further than Gendun Drub. The Book of Kadam,[22] the compilation of Kadampa teachings largely composed around discussions between the Indian sage Atisa (980-1054) and his Tibetan host and chief disciple Dromtönpa

According to the 14th Dalai Lama, long ago Avalokiteśvara had promised the Buddha to guide and protect the Tibetan People and in the late Middle Ages, his master plan to fulfill this promise was the stage-by-stage establishment of the Dalai Lama theocracy in Tibet.

Cool!
Anything for Africa?

Would it be unreasonable to expect a 'Dalai Lama' type figure to rise up as a moral authority in the region?
Considering the first Dalai Lama was born in 1391 and the position didn't carry much political significance until 1642 I'd find that doubtful.

Am I mistaken, or is that Burma's name I see in the bottom right corner.

Considering the first Dalai Lama was born in 1391 and the position didn't carry much political significance until 1642 I'd find that doubtful.

Yes but consider an alternate chain of events? More importantly, what if Tibet maintained superpower status throughout the middle ages? Maybe a Dalai Lama can rise out of those conditions.