1.8 Comments from a 1.2 Player

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anthropoid

Major Game Slut
59 Badges
Sep 30, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I bought Stellaris pretty early after release and got into it pretty deeply. I like to think I was one of the more constructive sources of feedback on the game, and not merely "Deviant," i.e., "rebellious in nature and constantly trying to challenge the status quo."

Still I was perhaps a bit "wasteful" with the number of characters I consumed in the many posts I made. :D

I'll keep this first post short, but plan to come back and add more, and I invite anyone else who wants to join in to do so.

Looks like I've just got two DLC at this point, and I'll do some play with just those before I buy any others: Arachnoids and the other one I cannot even think of (already in the game main menu). Only one mod, color coded pop lists I think?

So pretty much vanilla. Have to say, just looking at the SPECIES selection page (well done! :)) I can see it has received that old Paradox "over time" love and nurturing. The traits and such have all clearly been redone pretty significantly so this will be fun to relearn the ecology you madfolks have dreamt up!

I always play humans, I guess I'll just go with the Blue Hats and hope for the best. Dead is Dead for the WIN!

Since I was quite active with the game right at launch and up through about 1.3 or 1.4? (1.2 was the version I had installed up until today and I had not played the game for many months) maybe my observations may be of some insight, given I was here, then away, and now back.
-=-=-=-
The theme I'd like to strive for in the thread is just sort of "My how you have grown, Stellaris." Of course, every teenager will have developed some bad habits so I'm not saying it should all be happiness and light. But an open-minded and balanced commentary on how the game has changed and where it finds itself now in its journey. Commentary about how the game is (or is not?) being received more broadly in society or gamer culture would also be of interest.

So with that said, please anyone who wants to feel free to jump in and add your thoughts!

I'm finding the camera and UI to be a bit more "touchy" than I remember them being. Still the graphics are beautiful and it is probably just a matter of me regaining "the hang of it."

Well, overall, I'd have to say my reaction so far is "meh." Still largely the same game. Things that would've made me go "cool!" instead of "meh."
1. More game setup options (look at Distant Worlds for an example of what I'd consider baseline).
2. More tactical combat options (formations, actual "stances," specific roles for ships, etc.)
3. More custom galaxy setup options (that do not require changing files to create new unique systems, new system templates, etc.)
4. Logistics (supply lines and trade routes)

It is a fun game, but I don't think it will keep my attention for too long.