• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
During the day today, I'll be posting excerpts from the 1.14 patch notes. Here is the second excerpt, covering a number of areas from the Game Balance part of the notes.

# Disasters
- The Castilian Civil War disaster is now a disaster exclusive to Castille (unifying Spain in time will allow you to avoid it).
- The Janissary Decadence disaster will now only trigger 100 years after the Janissary modifier is acquired by the Ottomans.

# Economy
- Protectorates, Colonial nations and Personal Union juniors no longer have a penalty to their development cost, only vassals and marches.
- Provinces now take longer to start recovering from being looted.
- Provinces that have hostile units still standing in them will no longer recover from being looted, even if they have run out of loot.

# Espionage
- Fabricate claims will be four times slower for the remaining duration if discovered.
- Local Spy Defense is no longer a factor, instead all spy factors are global.

# Exploration
- Countries with their capital in a colonial region can now auto-discover provinces in colonial regions, since they can't use hunt for the seven cities.
- Reduced frequency land exploration events not relating to the Seven Cities of Gold.

# Governments
- Iqta now gives +5% global tax modifier instead of +100% heir chance.
- Tweaked the bonuses of tribal governments to be more balanced towards each other.
- Free reinforcement for Nomads is now tied to the Steppe Horde government form instead of ideas.
- Noble Republic is now a very unattractive form of government that requires a very high percentage of land grant to nobility and can only be changed out of with a decision.
- Hordes no longer take a prestige loss for selling provinces, returning provinces and releasing vassals peacefully.

# HRE
- Increased maximum number of Free Cities in the HRE to 8.

# Ideas & Policies
- Hormuz 4th idea now also gives +1 diplomatic reputation.
- Most national ideas that were -15% or more build cost are now -10% build cost.
- Colonial Ideas now start with -10% development cost instead of -0.1 inflation.
- No longer possible to pick Naval or Maritime ideas for Primitives.
- Replaced Quantity: National Arsenal with "Mercenary Contracts", giving +50% possible mercenaries.
- Buffed mighty Gotland's ideas.
- Reduced the power of Colonial Ideas' 'Religious Outposts' from +3% missionary strength to +2% missionary strength.
- Policy for Quantity + Expansion now increases land forcelimits instead of giving an extra colonist.

# Mercenaries
- War taxes now increases possible mercenaries by 10%.

# Nation Designer
- Nation Designer now allows Native Councils in South America.
- Random Setup: Less tendency to create superstates.
- Doubled the Distance at which you can pick provinces that are not connected to your capital in Nation Designer.
- Ruler skill now costs less points in governments with term durations.
- Changed maximum number of Custom Nations, Client States and Colonial Nations to 75 each.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Sorry, mercs overseas made it in there by mistake, it's something we decided to discuss more on instead of changing for 1.14.

Reactions:
Sooo what did hordes get instead of free reinforcements? That's actually a fairly MASSIVE nerf if it isn't replaced with something amazing. Qing for example was really reliant on that for late game power.

Hordes have free reinforcements from their government type.

Reactions:
Not sure why did you remove extra colonist from policies. You could at least put him back somewhere.

Hordes have free reinforcements from their government type.
How does this change Manchu traditions? I doubt they'll be left with 1 tradition, so what are they getting instead?

Not sure why did you remove extra colonist from policies. You could at least put him back somewhere.

To slow the potential for player turbo-colonizing, so putting it back would be counterproductive.

Reactions:
Sooo what did hordes get instead of free reinforcements? That's actually a fairly MASSIVE nerf if it isn't replaced with something amazing. Qing for example was really reliant on that for late game power.
On the other hand it's a buff to Timurids. But it's a good question. Horde, Manchu and Kazani traditions all had that.

The concern I have is the ability to become a noble republic through aristocracy + influence. I trust we can become another type of republic instead? Down with monarchies please...

Reactions:
- The Janissary Decadence disaster will now only trigger 100 years after the Janissary modifier is acquired by the Ottomans.
Good. Makes much more sense.
- Protectorates, Colonial nations and Personal Union juniors no longer have a penalty to their development cost, only vassals and marches.
Great.
- Fabricate claims will be four times slower for the remaining duration if discovered.
Ouch.
- Local Spy Defense is no longer a factor, instead all spy factors are global.
I wholeheartedly agree with this change gameplay-wise, though I'm not fond of it conceptually.
- Countries with their capital in a colonial region can now auto-discover provinces in colonial regions, since they can't use hunt for the seven cities.
About time.
- Iqta now gives +5% global tax modifier instead of +100% heir chance.
Great.
- Free reinforcement for Nomads is now tied to the Steppe Horde government form instead of ideas.
Ouch, so Manchu/Qing is getting majorly screwed?
- Noble Republic is now a very unattractive form of government that requires a very high percentage of land grant to nobility and can only be changed out of with a decision.
Bwahahahaha
- Increased maximum number of Free Cities in the HRE to 8.
More, please.
- Colonial Ideas now start with -10% development cost instead of -0.1 inflation.
Better.
- Replaced Quantity: National Arsenal with "Mercenary Contracts", giving +50% possible mercenaries.
A huge buff, but Quantity hardly needs to be even more attractive than it already is...
- War taxes now increases possible mercenaries by 10%.
Neat.

Nice changes, especially the buff to war taxes. Maybe they need a bit more to be viable again, though.

Quick question about the Custom Nation Designer:
Will it be possible to create a method for us to put down ideas that these nations are more likely to take in the future if they are not player-controlled?

To slow the potential for player turbo-colonizing, so putting it back would be counterproductive.
Taking expansion is a cost in itself usually. It's a very mediocre idea group unless you buffed it and competes with some extremely good choices like admin, religious and humanist. I used to love going exploration/expansion every game but I've come to learn that expansion is very rarely worth it and I only usually have it if I'm playing as a colonial nation which starts with it filled and the colonist is extra valuable to them. Religious is a solid CB against Asia/Africa and doesn't stop working if they westernise and the rest of the group is outclassed by another choice.

Reactions:
I can't really help feeling you have achieved nothing but killed Expansion completely. That policy was the only reason to ever take Expansion at all. Everything there is in Expansion doesn't justify getting that group, not even the CB. Turbo-colonization will still be there, although slightly slower at cost of idea variety or will become more expensive. Why would you aim to punish a player whos willing to make other sacrifices in order to turbo-colonize?

Reactions:
Horde ideas get -10% AE impact in its place.
That's a SUBSTANTIAL nerf to Manchu. Like, a ridiculously massive nerf to Manchu. I thought Manchu were going to be a multiplayer viable choice, but they're going from tier 1 ideas to tier 2 or even 3 in one swing. That was the lynchpin of the ideas was the fact they could merc spam anyone and never pay for it.

At that point forming Qing is basically a trade off. Get short term gains in government and claims, but lose a massive part of their power in the long run.

Reactions: