• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scorpiona

Recruit
22 Badges
Feb 17, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Lead and Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hey folks -- this is the dev of ironmunge. This is a tool that I originally built for myself in order to avoid corrupted saves in ironman games, but I've released it in case it will help others.

1f6e0.ico

ironmunge
️️ironmunge is a save manager for Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings II.

️️ironmunge monitors your save game folder for new saves and stores them in a timeline as you play. You can roll back to a previous save, switch between past and future saves, or play through multiple diverging timelines within the same save.

Download ️ironmunge

Feedback? Need help? Please ask on Discord for support.

I will respond on here and on the Reddit thread, but the fastest way to reach me for support is via Discord.

Features
️️ironmunge does:
  • Copy your save when a save is written or updated
  • Keep a history of all your save games
  • Let you swap between saves and between timelines within saves
️️ironmunge does not:
  • Modify your save games
    • ️ironmunge isn't a tool to cheat or edit ironman saves. It only copies and restores save games without modifying them.
  • Go back in time
    • ️ironmunge can only keep a history of games that were saved while it is running. It can't let you go back to previous saves when you weren't using ironmunge.

Last edited:
A new update to ironmunge was just released: Simple launcher (2019-02-23).

The major changes in this release are:
  • Simple launchers for ironmunge and SaveManager
    • There is now a single executable file for each, and no big folder full of dependencies
  • Additional settings to make sure saves aren't modified from miscellaneous files in a save history folder
  • Safety checks to make sure notification sounds aren't missing at startup

Original discussion from /r/CrusaderKings

Last edited:
I needed this about 2 months ago :( . Oh well it's probably superior to my current method of making new save files so I'll take a look at it.

Anywhere you like. ironmunge is portable and doesn't need to be installed.

Thanks I love this! I'm already using it. It's saved me a few times already from some major bugs (permanent pilgrimage on an immortal character :/). I just wish I'd remember to open it every time my game started :'). Thank you again!

It doesn't seem to be doing anything.
I run ironmunge.exe, it says running, press enter to exit.
Then I run the game and play.
I save and quit.
I exit ironmunge.exe and run savemamager.exe.
All is says is:

Save histories found:
Please select a history to view.
>

It seems like there is supposed to be a list of histories, but it is empty.
Am I doing something wrong? I was wondering if I should put ironmunge in the save folder, but it seem it has already been answered that it is not the case. What might be the problem then?

I save and quit.
All is says is:

Save histories found:
>

Am I doing something wrong? I was wondering if I should put ironmunge in the save folder, but it seem it has already been answered that it is not the case. What might be the problem then?

I put the pub-win-x64 folder in my CK2 directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II), and made sure to run them both as Admin. It's possible that you have to be in ironman to make it work, and they might have to be autosaves and not just quicksaves, I'll check now.

EDIT - it should work even with Quicksaves :/

I save and quit.
All is says is:

Save histories found:
>

Nope, you haven't missed anything. If you're running ironmunge and save your game, you should hear a notification sound play and see messages in the ironmunge window. If you don't see anything but the startup message and the save manager is empty, nothing was saved.

Is it possible you've moved your CK2 save folder? By default, ironmunge will look for it in:
Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\save games

If you'd like me to debug this with you, please ping me in Discord.

I put the pub-win-x64 folder in my CK2 directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II), and made sure to run them both as Admin. It's possible that you have to be in ironman to make it work, and they might have to be autosaves and not just quicksaves, I'll check now.

ironmunge doesn't need to be in the CK2 folder and it doesn't require admin permissions to run. It only needs to be able to read/write from the folder where your CK2 saves are kept.

It will track any saves you make while it's running, they don't need to be in ironman mode.

Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\save games

Hmm, somehow I see a bunch of old saves in there, but not the one for my current ironman playthrough.
I can't find the file searching by its name too.
Might it be because I've set it up to save to a cloud?
Surely the local copy must exist somewhere though.

release-9

• There is now a single executable file for each, and no big folder full of dependencies
  • Additional settings to make sure saves aren't modified from miscellaneous files in a save history folder

Hmm, somehow I see a bunch of old saves in there, but not the one for my current ironman playthrough.
I can't find the file searching by its name too.
Might it be because I've set it up to save to a cloud?
Surely the local copy must exist somewhere though.

If you've used the userdir.txt modification, you might have set your game to store its save files somewhere else.

Thanks for the update! If I delete the other Ironmunge folder (the older version) and replace it with this, it should keep all of the old saves?