Everything you need to know about Precursors

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Risa

Lt. General
92 Badges
Mar 2, 2005
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
There are five races of Precursor: the Vultaum Star Assembly, the Yuht Empire, the First League, the Irassian Concordat, and the Cybrex. All five races exist in every game, each has an area of activity covers a number of systems. Default number is 100 systems each.
The number is defined in common\precursor_civilizations\00_precursor_civilizations.txt. You can modify size of each precursor area to whatever number, though effective maximum size of an area is about a quarter of whole galaxy.
The start of a precursor chain is randomly triggered when you survey a planet within area of activity. It won't be triggered in your home system, though. Once you start a chain, you won't get other chains. In 1.5 only player can start such chain.

After a precursor chain started, you can find anomalies of that precursor when surveying planets within area of activity. Successfully investigating each anomaly and completing the following special project grants an artifact of that precursor.

After collecting 6 artifacts, the precursor chain ends and precursor homeworld chain starts. The first chain can end in two ways. If you are the first one to complete the chain of that precursor, the precursor home system will be spawned in vicinity of a random solar system within area of activity, and homeworld chain starts, pointing to home system. If you are not the first, it just starts homeworld chain and pointing to already-spawned home system. Note, the home system is just a normal solar system. Everyone can fly ships there, as long as you have border access there.

Surveying precursor homeworld can find an anomaly (precursor homeworld anomaly). Successfully investigate this anomaly will give you reward of the whole quest chain, and ends the chains. If you survey the homeworld after someone else gets the reward, you'll receive a notification telling you are late, and the chains end.

If you haven't completed collection of 6 artifacts in 50 years, an event will pop up from time to time, adding a new precursor anomaly to a planet in area of activity within your border.

The above is how precursor chain supposed to work. Before we come to bug section, let's first review some rules of anomaly mechanics.
1) You can find an anomaly only if you survey a planet with a science ship. No survey, no anomaly. So if you get survey data of a planet by any other means (such as from event, from star chart trading, or from data sharing from federation allies), no anomaly for you on that planet.
2) The above rule is also applied when an anomaly is generated by event. If the planet's survey data is gained by any means other than having surveyed that planet with you science ship, you won't get access to that anomaly.
3) You won't find anomalies inside border of another empire.
4) When another empire has surveyed a planet not within border of any empire and find anomaly there, you won't find anomaly there by survey it later.

Now you can already see some problems in precursor chains.
1) If the home system is within border of another empire, you can't find homeworld anomaly. So you can't get reward.

2) If the home system is in a neutral system, Your survey of the homeworld is after another empire's but before he investigate the anomaly he found, you will not find anomaly, nor will you get notification. So the chain lingers in your Situation Log forever.

3) If you gains survey data of precursor homeworld before you survey it with science ship yourself, you won't find homeworld anomaly. It is especially annoying if the home system is within your empire and science ship of your federation ally beats you to survey it, as they won't find homeworld anomaly and you won't, either. Moreover, since you are not able to survey it any more, you won't get notification of you are late. So the chain lingers forever.

4) If the new anomaly event is triggered on a planet you got survey data by means other than having surveyed it by science ship yourself, you won't get that anomaly. Worse, because the event is written under assumption that you can investigate that anomaly, it removes that anomaly from list of possible anomalies for later iteration. So it is possible to run out of anomalies.

Adding insults to injury, there are a few bugs caused by script errors too.
1) Other than Yuht chain, in other chains the you-are-late notification actually never fires. It's due to trigger of those notification events are not properly set.

2) If you are not the first to find 6 artifacts of League, Irass, or Cybrex, the precursor chain won't end when you do find 6, nor will it end after you collect more artifacts. So homeworld chain never starts. This is because of error in deciding which ending precursor chain uses. Granted, since in 1.5 only player can start precursor chain, this bug does not happen in single player games.

===================

Before Paradox fix precursor chain officially, we have to use mods to deal with it. For example, MEM Precursor Fix, or Risa's Precursor Fix. (Of course, I recommend my mod.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am baffled (no offense pdox) that they still haven't fixed it. It have improved and fires more frequently, that's for sure. But 1.4 never fired at all for me.

I really like Stellaris, especially after some of the neat stuff in Unity but Paradox has had more than a year to fix precursors and these events are still boring, buggy and above all frustrating. At this point i'd rather they just rip them out in the next patch and forget about them.

I wish a dev would see this. Great work, Risa!

@Wiz

Aside from said bugs there is another "problem". The Cybrex chain is far more powerfull than the other chains as the cybrex home system is a ringworld with 20 engineering science points and 4 living metal strategic ressources. - It whould be nice if the home systems of the other Precursor quest chains whould provide similar boons.

I have never finished a precursor event other than the Cybrex in my entire time playing, and I like to play with 1000 star galaxies with 2 FE and only 6 other races. Generally, I just get to 3-5 artifacts, and never get more again.

Baffling that this hasn't been fixed since release. I stopped playing 06/12/16 to wait until now to restart, but it looks like I'll be waiting another few months until 1.6 or 1.7 to really start playing with gusto.

I have never finished a precursor event other than the Cybrex in my entire time playing, and I like to play with 1000 star galaxies with 2 FE and only 6 other races. Generally, I just get to 3-5 artifacts, and never get more again.

Baffling that this hasn't been fixed since release. I stopped playing 06/12/16 to wait until now to restart, but it looks like I'll be waiting another few months until 1.6 or 1.7 to really start playing with gusto.
I have finished every chain sans Yuht. If you want to maximize your chances set the galaxy to have relatively few AI, make them all advanced and set no nearby advanced AI, and no clustered starts just to be sure. That will give you plenty of exploration room early on, enough to finish a precursor chain.

I have finished the Yuht chain in 1.5.

However, I'm having issues with the Cybrex now. I've got two notifications of artifacts being "discovered" on planets I've already surveyed decades earlier, and I've no idea how to recover these. They certainly don't just recover themselves. Any helpful ideas?

The start of a precursor chain is randomly triggered when you survey a planet within area of activity. It won't be triggered in your home system, though.
I've had the event chain spawn so many times in my home system... In fact, that's where it normally spawns for me...

I have finished the Yuht chain in 1.5.

However, I'm having issues with the Cybrex now. I've got two notifications of artifacts being "discovered" on planets I've already surveyed decades earlier, and I've no idea how to recover these. They certainly don't just recover themselves. Any helpful ideas?

When you get the message of an artifact being discovered, it creates a LVL 1 anomaly on the stated site that you can research with a science ship.

If you happen to click away the notification too quickly without actively looking where it spawned, the anomaly can be indeed be hard to find, but it helps to have a science vessel selected when searching, because that highlights unresearched anomalies on the star map.

Look for a "green" LVL 1 anomaly within your own space.

I've had the event chain spawn so many times in my home system... In fact, that's where it normally spawns for me...
Non-home-system restriction is new in 1.5. I think its intention is to allow "Alien Life Discovered" event trigger-able under normal sequence of opening move. (Details: That event is triggered when you first survey a habitable world. However, if you've started precursor chain, the event is no longer trigger-able.)

Non-home-system restriction is new in 1.5. I think its intention is to allow "Alien Life Discovered" event trigger-able under normal sequence of opening move. (Details: That event is triggered when you first survey a habitable world. However, if you've started precursor chain, the event is no longer trigger-able.)
Could be, I haven't paid attention to it recently. I could just be misremembering how recent it was the last time the event triggered.

Yeah I only ever finished the Cybrex as well. I feel the whole thing where only one empire can finish the chain is kinda absurd. It's a "hidden" system, is it not? Then why does it suddenly become visible to everyone? And why do empires that haven't finished the research can finish the quest? Give them something else instead.

When you get the message of an artifact being discovered, it creates a LVL 1 anomaly on the stated site that you can research with a science ship.

If you happen to click away the notification too quickly without actively looking where it spawned, the anomaly can be indeed be hard to find, but it helps to have a science vessel selected when searching, because that highlights unresearched anomalies on the star map.

Look for a "green" LVL 1 anomaly within your own space.
Well, the first two times it happened, it didn't spawn an anomaly. The third time, it did, and I recovered it. The fourth time, again, no anomaly. And yes, I checked the right systems. Nothing.

what annoys me the most is how ill-balanced the chains are. Admittedly they all got better with 1.5 and the fact they now give unity, but Cybrex Alpha is still lightyears ahead of all other precursor home systems in sheer power it grants.

I only finished the cybrex twice, and the vultatum 3 times so far; all the other event chains either never ended, or the survey of the homeworld brought no anomaly. I my last campaign i found the home system of the first league, but scanning it brought nothing - it was the 5th time this happened with the first league event chain. Why on earth has this not been fixed yet?