• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part Five
Oleander
20181026223209_1.jpg

The world of 1257 ER felt a long cry away from the panic that had gripped Europe a mere decade earlier. Although the great Mongolian horde still technically held sway over gigantic swaths of land from Ukraine to Persia, it had become increasingly clear that they were an unsustainable power, and the great Khan's many sons already wrestled with each other over bites and nibbles, with the Khagan Nakhu seemingly helpless to stop them. Russia had stayed unified for exactly as long as they believed the Mongols to be a serious threat, and yet even as the Russian dukes fought amongst themselves openly, no great Eastern army again appeared over the Urals. Europe's attention shifted to more pressing matters.
20181026223242_1.jpg

For the Union, that attention fell towards Holland; the Northerner's oldest and only real ally. The Frisian conversion had been born out of belief in the sprawling Union's ability to protect Frisian trade, so to allow upstart French nobility to run incursions into the low countries was utterly unacceptable. Clearly, the southerners had forgotten the weight behind an Imperial guarantee - a reminder was in order.

Although Felix II held only fifteen years under his belt as he led Imperial troops into Holland, few were particularly concerned. The Duke of Orleans had overstepped his bounds by raiding Frisia, and although his levies and mercenaries could well match the forces of Holland, they were pitiful when compared to the massive armies of the Union; just the Leidangr that Felix commanded with him into the low countries more than doubled the Duke's assembled forces.

20181026223454_1.jpg

The Union's overwhelming advantage may have harmed Felix's development; none expected him to lead the charge against such a clearly inferior foe, and as such the Imperium's young Emperor gladly kept far away from the fray. It was a long way from the days of Sigurdr and Elisa, where leaders had been expected to stand at the front of their men in battle, and Felix settled comfortably into the role of tent commander. Perhaps too comfortably. Even with such an overwhelming advantage, the brutality and weight of war seemed anathema to the young man. Many saw Felix's evolving tendencies - although few commented, and never directly to him.

20181026223707_1.jpg
20181026223711_1.jpg

Imperial armies made short work of the Duke's forces, even with Felix's hesitation to commit to the field of battle. Before the end of the year the French had been violently routed out of Holland, and with no sign of support from Paris, the Duke of Orleans somberly resigned to reparations. An example had been well and thoroughly made, and Frisia's loyalty to the Union had been quite firmly reassured.

20181026223816_1.jpg

Felix was in no hurry to enter into more wars. While this would become aggravating for the nationalists and revanchists in the Grand Assembly who demanded reconquest against France and the League to take back the Union's ancient lands, to merchant life - and the common people - breaks from the seemingly neverending cycles of wars and conscription were always welcome. Besides, the great Mongol horde still loomed to the East, and, unstable or not, their armies were larger than most of the other great powers of the world put together.

Or - at least - they had been.

20181026234156_1.jpg

In 1258 ER, the Horde finally broke. The tipping point came from Khan Kutan - or, as he was known in the East, the Great Dragon.

20181026234227_1.jpg

Kutan had been perhaps Buri's greatest general, second only to the first two Khagans themselves in terms of brilliance and aggression. Despite his competence and the blood-bonds between his Clan, the Kimaks - the first allies of the Great Khagan throughout his unification of Mongolia - and Buri, he was no son of the Khan, and thus had been passed over after Buri's death. Years of watching Nakhu whittle away the resources and Empire that so many had worked so hard to build stroked the fires of the Dragon's legendary temper to the tipping point; although a patient man by nature, to sit idly by while the idiot Nakhu drove Mongolia to the slow death was intolerable. Perhaps in another life, he may have been kin to the dragon of an earlier age, Sigurdr Kynlingr; Dragons, regardless of their origin, tend to be the ones to shake the earth. On April the 25th of 1258 ER, Kutan beheaded the representative of Nakhu at his court and sent the Khagan the severed head, along with a challenge to single combat for the title of Khagan. When Nakhu failed to respond, Kutan branded him a coward and claimed the title of Khagan for himself - along with the Western warlords who had fallen under his command.

Word of Kutan's declaration fell like wildfire. A few, mostly those in the northwestern corner of the Empire, chose to join the Dragon's cause. Some held their loyalties to Nakhu even in the face of collapse - but most split off on their own path, separate from Kutan and Nakhu both.

20181026234222_1.jpg

The only other major figure to claim the title of Khagan would be Bedugan. Although significantly younger than both of his competitors and not nearly as respected as Kutan, Bedugan's court was located just beneath Kutan's territory. An opportunist at heart, Bedugan was quick to realize that if he split off himself instead of joining Kutan, he could force an ultimatum upon the southernmost territories of the Empire - pledge their loyalty to him as the new Khagan, or be crushed and executed before his armies. Giving them little choice, Bedugan forced a massive swath of the central Asian tribes under his hand, positioning himself between Kutan and Nakhu both as a third competitor for the grand title of Khagan above all others.

Only one of the great southern tribes refused Bedugan's pressure - the Khwarezmid of a freshly-conquered Persia.

20181026234216_1.jpg

The Persians had been Nakhu's latest and only conquest, if you could call finalizing Buri's almost-finished conquest his. Bulend, a Turk, had been Nakhu's choice for control of most of the region; a thoroughly unpopular, but brutally efficient man who could keep the unruly and zealous local population in line. Bulend made no claim to the Khaganate in the wake of Bedugan's ultimatum, instead declaring Persia an independent Khaganate of Khwarezemid. Although foreign and unpopular, Bulend was Muslim instead of the Mongol's strange steppe religion, and certainly less of a foreigner than the horse-tribes of the far east. Conquering Persia the first time had been a difficult task. To do it a second time could well prove near-impossible - particularly if men with such an iron fist as Buelend's held the region.

In the wake of this earth-shattering revolution, life went on elsewhere.

20181027155008_1.jpg

The Byzantines and Arabs were at each other's throats yet again scarcely months after Kutan declared himself the true successor of Buri. It took nearly a full year for information on the Horde's collapse to reach the ears of the furthest courts in England and Iceland, and by then, the looming threat that had come within a hair's breath of global conquest had been all but forgotten. People tend to move on shockingly quickly when provoked.

20181027160302_1.jpg

In the Union, the greatest problem of the day became simple domestic strife. Felix's young wife was unceremoniously divorced and banished after a scandalous affair was uncovered; perhaps a mark of the Union's progress, as mere centuries ago she would have surely been equally unceremoniously executed without a further thought. More likely, it was simply a mark of Felix's timid temperament.

20181027162713_1.jpg

Although the livid affair between Felix and the Hertug of Vestergotland, Knut (who would be imprisoned and executed a few years later) occupied the nation's attention for a time, particularly to split opinions on whether the Emperor should have such authority to imprison and execute a noble based off charges of adultery. Most agreed that to knowingly seduce and sleep with the Emperor's wife was well deserving of execution, but the voices that raised in opposition were not insignificant, particularly among the ranks of the lower nobility in the Grand Assembly. It was, to be certain, a serious breach of power, and an overstepping of legal precedent for emotional charge. But ultimately, the matter left little lasting imprint on the national culture or identity of the Union, and the years that followed were quiet and pleasant.

20181028180413_1.jpg

In this unassuming time of peace and prosperity, a small handful of educated middle-class craftsmen across Western and Central Europe began to experiment with the strange black powders the Mongols had brought with them from the far East. These men left profoundly few records - what little we know of them comes from court recordkeeping about displays of 'terrifyingly loud explosive powders' and a single presentation of a 'great bronze-cast device' that was touted briefly around some European courts around 1263 ER. Even though some European powers had fought against the cannon-wielding Mongols themselves, few seemed to fully grasp the complete, radicalizing power that was being almost languidly developed in independent corners of the world. It's suspected that the first use of cannons by any European power came in the next decade, most notably in the Altmark Bread Riots of 1271. While similar to many other trivial plebeian revolts over mercantalist price-shifts and short-term famines due to poor and disparate logistics, the Riots in Altmark were put down with an overwhelming and uncommon display of force - and what few accounts survive testify of strange, thunderous fire-spitting casts.

20181028183112_1.jpg

Undoubtedly, these first cannons were laughably pitiful in force, perhaps even weaker than the nearly-worthless Mongolian and Chinese early cannons. Yet they were astoundingly powerful devices of terror for their terrifying noise and ability to dramatically and viscerally crush an individual within the ranks of the enemy - assuming they were within spitting range, and didn't misfire or explode into themselves. Regardless, the Altmark Bread Riots were scattered and routed within minutes of the battle commencing - undoubtedly by the raw force presented, and almost certainly through the Union's earliest productions of the weapon that would change the world. The first time these new terrors would truly see use came from the second War of Orkney - Britain's second attempt to finish the job they had started some time ago and drive the Union out of Britain once and for all.

20181028185949_1.jpg

Few could have predicted what dramatic consequences such a small and insignificant piece of land would have - Orkney was to be the meeting ground for Europe's first gunpowder weapons, underwhelming and mediocre as they might have been. Their effects, even then, were not.

It does indeed seem odd that the Orkneys would be the cause of such a struggle.

It is De Jure territory, the AI don't care if it is worthless. Plus it is territory the AI do not own, the AI do not care if it is worthless.
Aw man, the Zoroastrian are back under muslim rule :(

Finally the Mongol Empire, a terror from the steppes like it hasn't been seen since the times of the dreadful Attila, has collapsed.

And good luck to the Union against the British attack on Orkney! Let's hope they don't play it dirty ;)

It does indeed seem odd that the Orkneys would be the cause of such a struggle.

It's the only 'connected' island that the Brits don't hold themselves by this point! It's quite important both symbolically and strategically, as the Union or their allies could otherwise subvert naval supremacy of Britain.

It is De Jure territory, the AI don't care if it is worthless. Plus it is territory the AI do not own, the AI do not care if it is worthless.
Aw man, the Zoroastrian are back under muslim rule :(

For now! Also it's symbolic land and stuff.

Finally the Mongol Empire, a terror from the steppes like it hasn't been seen since the times of the dreadful Attila, has collapsed.

And good luck to the Union against the British attack on Orkney! Let's hope they don't play it dirty ;)

The British playing fair? Not on my watch.

The world is looking quite interesting with the collapse of the Mongol Empire, those rump states are probally going to collaspe themselves and by absorbed by the neighboring powers, through the Mongols still appear to be maintaining their hold over China it seems so its going to be awhile before they are overthrown there.

Also I see Britain is being a nussaicne to the Union here. I´ll will through, the way things are in Europe right now, colonization of the Americas might be pretty interesting when we reach EU4.

Wow this AAR has been going for a year and a half now, I congratulate Firespread on keeping it interesting. This is a very good story to follow, I need more!

I would also like to note the gradual shift in focus of the campaign from the characters of myth and legend, to a combination of a focus on character and a focus on state, to a focus on the Imperial Union itself. It makes for good story progression, but I think we need another near-mythical character for people to root behind, with some legendary conquest or something of the like.

Overall, very good story, I love it. I've been an avid follower ever since I started reading. Only complaint; not enough! Need more!

It's been awhile since this great series was updated, Is everything alright Firespread?
It is the usual delay I think

I've been working very hard over the last few months - my apologies, it's just that inbetween working and studying, I found that often I'd find myself putting off my personal writing and editing to write an update out of obligation, and then once I'd compiled all the images and written 2000-3000 words for an update, I'd find that I no longer had the energy to actually edit any of my personal work or write anything further that day. I sincerely apologize for not announcing that earlier; I'll pick up trying to write some updates for Imperial Blood over the next few days if at all possible, as I've got some free time on my hands now and am no longer working 50 hours a week - I'll just need to balance better my time and draw out updates so that it's not cutting into my personal work!

It's not that I want to press you or something, Firespread, but... Is this AAR still ongoing?

It's not that I want to press you or something, Firespread, but... Is this AAR still ongoing?

Hey all,

Deepest apologies for the almost year-long delay after promising that I'd try to write some more updates for Imperial Blood; as I mentioned a while ago, my personal and work life both picked up quite a bit, which made working on the AAR very difficult. Along with the fact that the CK2 version used is now three years out of date and missing a ton of DLC involved. Let me first say that the response to this AAR really amazed me and I'm seriously overjoyed that peopled enjoyed it so much - with nearly 120,000 unique views as the sixth most viewed CK2 AAR of all time and about 120,000 words written total - ironically almost exactly the number of views and long enough for a full-length novel - I wouldn't give the time I spent working on this back for anything. Continuing on has become increasingly difficult to near impossible, for both technical and personal reasons - as I mentioned, this AAR already has enough words for a full length novel when it's about halfway through the first planned game, and I find that I'm simply not willing to sacrifice the quality of each update to allow for faster progression. I'd say that you should keep the thread on watch, because if I get the time to really put in work on an update I will, but I wouldn't get your hopes up; writing what amounts to an additional novel for free online is quite difficult!

No matter what ends up happening, I'm glad for everyone who's read through Imperial Blood, and hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

TL;DR: It's very difficult to work on this AAR for both personal and technical reasons but I will see what I can do because it's been left in the cold too long.

vér þrá
we persist​

Take your time if you wish. I’ve enjoyed reading your AAR and I’m willing to wait for quality updates. If you also decide you want to move on to something else, then that’s your decision and I’ll understand that. I’ll still be watching this AAR till then, so I’ll be onboard with wherever you go.:)

It's good to hear from you again, Firespread. And I can relate to real life getting in the way. I haven't written anything substantial for fun in years because of work-life balance.

Keep well

Part Six

Dragonfire

20181111173523_1.jpg

War between Britain and the Union was unsurprising. The only two viable targets for the island nation's aggression were France, the only bordering nation of their continental holdings in Europe, and the Union, who flanked them through Scandinavia and via their alliance with Frisia. Since dominating the Celts in Ireland and Scotland, Britain had spent nearly a century fighting with the French (to nearly no change in the situation of either side). The more powerful Union had largely been content to rest as a sleeping giant; France and the League had both held significant swaths of Union territory for many years without any action from the Northmen. France had spent recent years peacefully thriving, while the Union had not-so-long-ago thrown the majority of their young men at the Mongols far to the East. Of the two targets, it was the Imperials who seemed weaker - for the first time in many years.

Thus, reclaiming Orkney - the only non-British owned foothold in the Isles - seemed like the logical choice to cement British regional dominance and to maintain decisive control over the North Sea. Orkney's cold, rocky, and inhospitable climate was difficult for both farming and hunting, and the population that lived there was small and insignificant. But the island was heavily fortified; fortified enough that, if necessary, the Union could mobilize their troops and potentially bring them over to a staging base in Orkney before the British could take Orkney and fortify against the North.

At the very least, the Brits intended to prove that Northern assumption wrong.

20181111174233_1.jpg

The British smashed through the garrison at Orkney, fortifications and all. With their armies they brought unwieldy, heavy bronze casts - new inventions from the South of England that hurled carved stones at ungodly speeds through the air over the deafening boom of thunder, creating terrible breaches that were easily exploited by the trained and heavy longbowmen of the British isles. The beachhead fortifications crumbled at crucial points by nothing more than a few destructive explosions, and what remained was vulnerable and exposed to the hail of British arrows that followed up. In sieging through the initial fortifications at Orkney, the British lost only seven men. This was an entirely new style of warfare - and it demanded an entirely new approach.

20181111174915_1.jpg

Imperial and Frisian forces didn't arrive upon the isles until February of 1278, an arrival that was significantly delayed by the success of British naval harassment and the extremely rapid fall of Orkney, which left the Northerners without a viable staging base in Britannia proper. Various British excursions and a significant force-split had left the British arranged at multiple defense positions - which made the massed army landing in York of thirty thousand Leidangr a threat able to smash the more thoroughly divided British forces.

20181111175032_1.jpg

Frisian forces massed at the British capital in Middlesex, a landing that was soon intercepted by the bulk of the British defensive military - a force numbering nearly twenty thousand. Although pinned and at first outnumbered by well over two to one, the Dutch were relieved by the arrival of a larger Imperial contingent at nearly the last moment, flanking the coalesced British troops and narrowly beating them back from Middlesex itself. Even with the advantage of numbers and flanking, the Imperial coalition's advantage was marginal, and casualties over a series of battles in the heart of England turned nearly even.

20181111175045_1.jpg

Fundamental to the growing stagnation were the engines of war the Imperials had brought with them across the Northern Sea. The secrets of gunpowder had spread like wildfire through the laboratories of Europe, and although the results were - less than ideal - the premise of fire thrown from a mechanical device proved a devastating aid on the field of battle, and more than enough to shatter the morale of less well-trained groups. Not to mention, of course, the help that they provided in the destruction of fortifications; imprecise, prone to explosion, and unbearably heavy, but devastating nonetheless.

Both Empires were morbidly curious and overeager to use such fascinating new inventions, even though they consistently caused more casualties on the side that employed them than the enemy, both for the Imperials and the British.

The majority of battles were fought within England itself - although a significant British landing party of ten thousand caused considerable hassle to the Imperials in Norway, and Orkney was fought perenially back-and-forth. And while the Imperium's slightly larger and better-organized armies edged out the British slightly, exploitation of terrain perfect for the fearsome might of British longbowmen meant that any true Imperial advance was short-lived. The heavy armor and powerful shields of the Imperium's elite Huskarlr and its comprehensive use of shock cavalry harried the English enough that neither side could gain much of an edge in their violent and pitched battles, and so for two years the war dragged on without any conclusion in sight.

The black powder machines of the Northern empires would end up being the deciding factor of the war - though perhaps not as either the British or the Imperials had predicted.

20181113202402_1.jpg

20181113202451_1.jpg

At the very end of 1278 ER, the British launched a massive assault towards Orkney with the intent of taking it back from the fortifying Norsemen who had once again solidified their position on the island - an attempt to capitalize on the smaller Northern Garrisons attempting to secure a more solid foothold by advancing into the Scottish Highlands, leaving themselves vulnerable in the process. With him, the Emperor Guy brought a cohort of expensive and massive black powder canons to punch through Orkney's seaside reinforcements, barely more than prototypes of powder-fueled catapults. The canons proved considerably more effective than catapults, destroying the Orknesian fortifications with powerful blasts, albeit needing to be far closer to the walls than catapults or trebuchets - and considerably more volatile. Of the twenty-odd casualties the overwhelming British forces suffered, eight came from the backfiring of an explosive pot with monumental force, cracking its metal container and violently sending shards of metal in every direction. The pot's crew itself was killed to a man by both the explosion and the sharpened shards of metal from the cannon's explosion, shards which continued outwards to kill three linemen, a bodyguard, and Emperor Guy himself, who was presiding over the prototypical pots. Two separate chunks of metal punctured his neck and stomach simultaneously, killing him within the minute.

20181113202516_1.jpg
20181113202535_1.jpg

Needless to say, the rest of the participants in the war on either side were - surprised.

The untimely death of Emperor Guy - and subsequent succession by his eleven-year-old son, Richard the Fourth - caused many British lords to balk at the ongoing war, despite almost untarnished military strength and the practical success of the black-powder cannons at both shock and siege, expensive and volatile as they were. The palpable British hesitation caused a surge of enthusiasm in the Union, despite their complete lack of involvement with the British Emperor's death; the nobility of the Grand Assembly (along with its Frisian envoys) pushed, en masse, for revanchist landgrabbing in the Scottish highlands, which had been owned for some time throughout the time of the Imperial Union's first century in existence.

Although Felix did, indeed, move to take advantage of the British wavering, he did so in the exact opposite of how his nobility desired. Instead, Felix sued for peace with the British regency council, under the demands of a concession of defeat and some reparations. The offer was relatively inoffensive, and after only a few months of negotiation, Imperial and Frisian troops withdrew from the British isles, with Orkney still under Imperial control. It was - as the last British war had been - a thoroughly unsatisfactory conclusion, and factions rumbled in both Parliament and the Grand Assembly. The British were left without Orkney, and the Imperials without the Highlands. The status quo, as it usually does, left both sides angry and dissatisfied.

20181113202732_1.jpg

But little came of those grumblings as troops were retracted back to the Continent, despite a number of prominent Germanic Hertug rallying against the Emperor. Over time, dissent about Felix's apathetic war policy gave way to increasingly strong interest in the potential and success of black-powder weaponry.

The crossbow had revolutionized warfare once already; use of such deviously simple machinery had played a large part in the original formulation of the Leidangr due to their ease of use and devastatingly powerful range. By 1279 ER, few armies in Europe (save, perhaps ironically, the British) used anything save handheld crossbows to form the backbone of their marching armies. But the impact of crossbows had been localized; it required tactical evolution and understanding to adapt to their unique properties, certainly, but despite their exceptional performance, a crossbow was not so terribly different from a longbow in practical effect. The cannon, however, had already caused whispers snaking across the European continent. Their shock value, many though, had been overstated and would fade with time, but the speed with which these primitive explosives had managed to destroy fortifications across Britain and the Orange Coast had sweeping implications for the face of European warfare. Certainly, they were still no match for the thick stone walls of European palaces and castles, but if anything would be able to break the fortresses that warfare was built around, it would be these. And should that happen, the very nature of warfare would have to change with it.

The implications of the Second British-Imperial war were as diverse as the colorful figures of Europe's monarchs themselves. On one hand, the actual effect of early gunpowder weapons had been impressive and dramatic, making older, dug-in fortifications, even those of reinforced stone as the Imperial fortifications in Orkney had been, essentially worthless to any army with effective numbers of them. On the other hand, compared to more traditional siege weapons, they were unpredictable, extremely expensive, and almost comically dangerous. The fact that one of these devices had killed an Emperor was bad enough; the fact that it killed its entire crew with it, specially-trained veterans nearly as expensive and rare for each man as the device itself, was even worse. In some regions of Europe, more progressive monarchs hired out foreign engineers to experiment further with the substance, while the first surviving written mentions of gunpowder come from other courts banning its use, either as an unethically deadly weapon or as a dangerous course of study.

However, in the Imperial Union, the grumbles of the day were of a much different nature.

20181113203313_1.jpg

With an angry Grand Assembly and tired Imperial retinues after the war in Britain, a non-inheriting Danish prince demanding a duel and subsequent re-election based off Felix the Second's "weak and effeminate nature" shortly after the end of the war snowballed rapidly. By early 1280 ER, Vilfred Knytling, with the support of a number of opportunistic nobles, had gathered nearly fifteen thousand Danish and German peasants and veterans into a large-scale insurrection, claiming that Felix II's (rather predictable) ignoring of his challenge to duel made him unfit for the title of Fylkir-and-Emperor. The approach of this insurrection was made even more troublesome due to the fact that just two months before, camp fever had broken out to a large degree in the Scandinavian lowlands, where most of the direct Imperial retinues came from. By late 1280, nearly a quarter of Felix's core provinces were temporarily sick; while not a serious plague by any stretch of the imagination, and an illness the vast majority would recover from in a few years, the outbreak severely reduced Felix's personal recruitment capabilities at at time when many of the Assembly's important nobles were already supporting Vilfred's insurrection.

20181113204332_1.jpg

Although poorly armed and unevenly led, Vilfred's host presented a very serious challenge. He had struck at a nearly perfect time, when a minor noble such as himself could gather a number of trained, disgruntled peasants and support himself with equally disgruntled nobility, while fever and political intrigue would ensure that the longer he waited, the weaker Felix would become. Considering Felix II's generally-understood ineptitude as a military commander, the combination of both luck and skill put Vilfred in the very unique position of being able to potentially successfully coup an Empire with relatively little effort or skill involved; a fact that Felix understood painfully well. Having assembled in southern Sweden, the peasant armies of Vilfred marched towards Stockholm, the largest Scandinavian city unaffected by the recent outbreak of disease - and thus the most likely to send Felix loyal recruits. Felix, Were Stockholm to be cut off successfully, with Vilfred possessing numbers capable of pulling off such a feat, not only would Felix be entirely cut off from the southern provinces of the Union, but the core Swedish dukes could very well defect and sever the head of the Empire in the North Way along with Vilfred. Stockholm falling, then, was completely unacceptable. In an immediate response, Felix II gathered what relatively little he could from remaining Leidangr and those uninfected and capable in the North Way and marched to intercept Vilfred's marauding in Sweden.

Vilfred made no effort to evade Felix's advance, and in June of 1280 ER, the two armies, at near full strength, met in Vesterlas, just outside of Stockholm.

20181113203514_1.jpg

Although almost equal in size, Vilfred's armies were poorly-organized and hastily assembled with only a core of veterans at his center. Vilfred relied on two seperate perceived advantages to ensure a victory against the equally-armed and slightly larger Imperial host that Felix was able to assemble - the first being the fact that Felix II was known as an incompetent commander, and the second being that Imperial armies tended to rely heavily on their elite trained-and-armed Huskalr heavy infantry, put front-and-center in most battles, to act as the decisive element in otherwise evenly-matched fight.

Most of Vilfred's men massed on the far left flank, intending to smash through the Imperial right flank and envelop them in a single, decisive round. Their plan hinged on redirecting men from a weak right flank - and with equal numbers of troops, the Imperials, perhaps ironically, proved far more able to break through Vilfred's anemic right flank than Vilfred could destroy the normal-sized Imperial right side. The peasant soldiers on the right collapsed under the stress of an Imperial cavalry charge, and Vilfred found his plan turned back on himself as Imperial troops wrapped around their rear, enveloping and shattering the rest of his forces. Vilfred's intent of ignoring and then overwhelming the central Huskarlr with Felix II was too slow to reposition them had failed to take its advantages in mind of the wider context; the first being that Felix II was aware of his own incompetence and had delegated command at Vesterlas to his loyal veteran commander Jarl Sigurd, and the second being that the Huskarlr were generally only used as a decisive element - not the only one. It was easy to forget that an army is composed of every man that stands in line, and Vilfred had counted on those without marks of honor and a dozen battles under their belts to fall nearly immediately to a concentration of pressure.

20181113203525_1.jpg

Although Vilfred would continue to skirmish after being utterly crushed outside of Stockholm, having lost nearly six thousand men in the initial conflict and then two thousand in the following day to desertions as Felix received reinforcements from Germany and Bohemia, Vilfred eventually buckled as more and more of his slender army peeled off, and surrendered to the advancing Imperial forces by September of that same year.

20181113203617_1.jpg

Much of the Grand Assembly had expected Vilfred to win, perhaps egged on by the rapid dynastic changes of Emperors in Britannia and the recent shifting of the Imperial seat in France. Few, though, had been stupid enough to openly back Vilfred with outright troops or support, and those who did were executed by Felix II without challenge by the rest of the Grand Assembly, although Vilfred himself was simply disqualified from succession and banished from the Union as a favor to his father, the Konnungr of Denmark. The proceedings for both efforts were a remarkably quick and uncontroversial affair - those who had supported Vilfred now knew better than to draw attention to himself as his supporters were prosecuted, and those who were loyal to Felix throughout were eager to see the former group ousted. Felix made no serious effort to draw out those who had more quietly supported Vilfred, however - it seemed obvious enough that they had, at least for the moment, learned their lesson, and any support for a second rebellion against Felix II's rule seemed exceedingly unlikely. His neutral stance towards the smarter half of Vilfred's supporters did earn him the half-mocking nickname of "Felix the Silent", both as a reference to his lack of comment on the open secret that many in the Assembly had offered Vilfred support as a way of showing dissent after the British-Imperial war and as a mockery of his habit of delegating military affairs instead of personally taking to the battlefield.

20181113203701_1.jpg

The rest of Felix's reign would fit the nickname. After the short period of intensity from 1278-1280 ER, Felix would rule for six more years, until 1286 ER. Many of the higher nobility would eventually come to appreciate his reign for what it was after the failure of Vilfred's rebellion; a common saying during the time was that Felix the Silent was the "Least Av-Sverdklydige-like Av Sverdklydige to ever walk the Earth". Although elements of the shrewd and ruthless cunning his kin were known for occasionally shown through and there was no question of Felix II's intelligence, his almost complete lack of interest in both military and political affairs seemed almost alien for a dynasty known for their aggression and ruthlessness. Even as a theologian, Felix took exceptionally little interest in the grandstanding religious speeches and assemblies that Fylkirs were theoretically expected to give, preferring, instead, for the extent of his life, quiet conversations in the parlor of Jafnadgr or study with his books in the palace library to holding court or going on campaign. Although the latter six years of his reign granted him the quiet that he had wanted since the time of his election to the Fylkirate, even if evidence states that he never really got to enjoy them - unlike his kin, Helge the Holy, who abdicated under the pressure of a scholar forced into rule, Felix bowed to the pressure of constant political bickering and petty conflict in the entirely different manner of having a deadly and sudden heart attack from excessive stress at the young age of forty-five.

20181114184301_1.jpg

His first and favorite son, Maximilian the Second, had little contention as a pick for the next Fylkir-and-Emperor of the Union. Felix, due in no small part to the minor political purge instituted after Vilfred's noble-supported rebellion, had held both popularity and influence in the Assembly; but Maximilian, unlike his father but not so much unlike his legendary namesake, shined through with cunning political savy. He would not be known as The Silent.

A very quiet time of it. Perhaps what the Union needed, hard to say for sure. Very restful.

But clearly, the time for repose has ended :D