• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fantastic, as usual!

What's mind boggling to me is how there were still people wanting to become the Roman emperor, considering that this office was tantamount to a death sentence.

Well, knowing human nature it does not strike me as surprising. Ambition drives people to very strange acts and choices still today. What would be really interesting is being able to know how did the Roman elites perceive the problems of the empire in the III century CE, and if they did really grasp the fact that the main problem at the heart of the political crisis was the very nature of the post of emperor, and the utter lack of clear and well defined rules about its functions, role and above all, the succession system. Medieval western monarchies for example put in place sets of rules for royal inheritance that made succession in medieval kingdoms a much less bloody affair than in Rome. And although Diocletian tried to do so (and kind of succeeded during his reign), the problem still persisted and was never really solved; not even in Byzantine times.

Last edited:
But people weren't insane. And they must have certainly noticed the pattern that everyone taking up the Imperial mantle ends up killed rather quickly. Why nevertheless there were still people wanting to take their chance?

Well, knowing human nature I does not strike me as surprising. Ambition drives people to very strange acts and choices still today. What would be really interesting is being able to know how did the Roman elites perceive the problems of the empire in the III century CE, and if they did really grasp the fact that the main problem at the heart of the political crisis was the very nature of the post of emperor, and the utter lack of clear and well defined rules about its functions, role and above all, the succession system. Medieval western monarchies for example put in place sets of rules for royal inheritance that made succession in medieval kingdoms a much less bloody affair than in Rome. And although Diocletian tried to do so (and kind of succeeded during his reign), the problem still persisted and was never really solved; not even in Byzantine times.

... I am not certain medieval monarchies were that much better :p (as usual I like to point out that the first swedish king to assume the throne legally AND pass it on to his successor was Gustavus Adolphus in the 1600s....)

... I am not certain medieval monarchies were that much better :p (as usual I like to point out that the first swedish king to assume the throne legally AND pass it on to his successor was Gustavus Adolphus in the 1600s....)
Well, I would say that in most Medieval monarchies the possible usurpers were a small set after the Norman conquests; your brother and uncle might usurp you, but not the duke of something. And the greatest conflicts were fought precisely where the established rules DID break down (because interpreting the rules gave different sets of "legal" contenders).

Sweden might be a special case, but in the HRE, the poster child of medieval instability, the dynasties started from Charlemagne lasted 11 dynastic relations on pretty short lines (4th order relative at worst, and that was a great-great-grandson so still linear), and it's only after Friedrich II Hohenstaufen that the dynasty really breaks down completely (except maybe the earlier Lothair II who was really quite off the line).

And then they went on, after the interregnum, with Habsburgs for 12 dynasts in a straight run (with the botched Wittelsbachs-of-Bohemia as only real disturbance).

Comparing that to the Roman Empire, it really is shockingly stable.

But people weren't insane. And they must have certainly noticed the pattern that everyone taking up the Imperial mantle ends up killed rather quickly. Why nevertheless there were still people wanting to take their chance?
Except in some very unusual circumstances (a child of the living emperor being acclaimed as co-emperor for example) when a Roman leader was acclaimed as emperor while another emperor lived there was a sort of 'there can be only one' situation where there would be a civil war until all but one of the emperors was dead. In many cases one would willfully be declared emperor but sometimes a successful commander could have been acclaimed against his will by an unruly or neglected army. If one were to refuse the acclamation then it would still likely lead to your death either by the army killing you if you can't calm them down and if you can calm them down the emperor would likely still remove an overly-popular leader from the political scene.

So to conclude, there are good reasons to not decline an acclamation just as there are good material and spiritual reasons to accept an acclamation if that makes sense.

Well, obviously neither you nor I would make that choice, but if there´s something I´ve learned along the years is to avoid making assumptions about what other people would do, or think. And obviously for many Romans the attraction of the purple pallium of the emperors was just too big a temptation.

Last edited:

France, the Crown of Aragon or the HRE were incomparably more stable at the top than the Roman empire. In the case of the HRE, they even managed to establish a regulated succession through a closed collegium of seven electors; something that the Romans were utterly incapable to do. The Crown of Aragon had zero succession conflicts during the Middle Ages until the middle of the XV century, and they were able to resolve the great succession crisis after the death of Martin I through an election made by delegations of the Estates of its three territories; again the Romans were incapable to reach something similar while the empire lasted. And in France, the laws of succession were rigidly set and serious succession crisis like the Hundred Years War happened only because of foreign military victories (which kept alive the cause of the English kings as presumptive heirs to the French crown) or through utter incapacity of the king to rule (like the case of the insanity of Charles VI again during the Hundred Years War).

Last edited:
Except in some very unusual circumstances (a child of the living emperor being acclaimed as co-emperor for example) when a Roman leader was acclaimed as emperor while another emperor lived there was a sort of 'there can be only one' situation where there would be a civil war until all but one of the emperors was dead. In many cases one would willfully be declared emperor but sometimes a successful commander could have been acclaimed against his will by an unruly or neglected army. If one were to refuse the acclamation then it would still likely lead to your death either by the army killing you if you can't calm them down and if you can calm them down the emperor would likely still remove an overly-popular leader from the political scene.

So to conclude, there are good reasons to not decline an acclamation just as there are good material and spiritual reasons to accept an acclamation if that makes sense.

I think that I already touched this subject once, but the assertions in ancient sources about the reluctance of certain individuals to accept the post of emperor are taken with suspicion by many scholars (and I agree with them). Refusing the purple when offered was de rigueur in Roman political culture, and it showed poor taste and bad political manners not to play this game. It´s a well attested routine, called by scholars the refutatio imperii, and it was a tradition that was started by Augustus himself in 27 BCE when he enacted that theatrical meeting of the Senate in which he ¨returned¨all his powers to the assembly and was ¨forced¨by the pleas of the senators (led by Maecenas, who no doubt had rehearsed it thorougly) to keep them, and even to accept new powers and honors.

I think that I already touched this subject once, but the assertions in ancient sources about the reluctance of certain individuals to accept the post of emperor are taken with suspicion by many scholars (and I agree with them). Refusing the purple when offered was de rigueur in Roman political culture, and it showed poor taste and bad political manners not to play this game. It´s a well attested routine, called by scholars the refutatio imperii, and it was a tradition that was started by Augustus himself in 27 BCE when he enacted that theatrical meeting of the Senate in which he ¨returned¨all his powers to the assembly and was ¨forced¨by the pleas of the senators (led by Maecenas, who no doubt had rehearsed it thorougly) to keep them, and even to accept new powers and honors.
Yeah but what if you're a Roman general and your troops really do acclaim you as emperor, without asking you first? against your intentions? That would put you into a hell of a conundrum. Expecting a show of Refutatio imperii is a real thing you say, so how do you even earnestly refuse an acclamation without those who acclaimed you lose all face.

Yeah but what if you're a Roman general and your troops really do acclaim you as emperor, without asking you first? against your intentions? That would put you into a hell of a conundrum. Expecting a show of Refutatio imperii is a real thing you say, so how do you even earnestly refuse an acclamation without those who acclaimed you lose all face.

Regular soldiers (the milites) did not organize coups. Coups were organized by senior officers from the rank of centurion upwards (just like in modern military coups). Of these officers, at least until Gallienus’ reign a substantial part (if not a majority, although in slow decline) were senators, while the rest came from equestrian families. High officers with a real humble background who really rose from the rank and file did not begin to appear until Gallienus’ reign (and that seems to be true even for the case of Maximinus Thrax; a recent biography about him refuted his alleged humble origins as a shepherd in Thrace).

These were well connected people, with important political and economic interests of their own and usually linked through clientelar networks to the upper members of the political and military hierarchy of the empire (in other words, in the Roman army there were two hierarchies in place, the “official” one of established military ranks and the “unofficial” one of personal clientelar nets that was typical of Roman society on all levels).

In these circumstances, I find it naive to think that a military commander would find himself in the situation of being forced by his troops to usurp the purple under armed threat. Most probably, he had already discussed the coup in private with his fellow officers, who had then begun an undercover campaign of propaganda among the rank and file; and a key part of this was the promise of a juicy reward (the donativum) if they supported the winning horse for the imperial race. And once the conspirators were fairly sure that their task was accomplished, the theatrical stage was set on occasion of some public ceremony made by that army unit (an address to the troops, a religious festival, a parade, a march, etc.) and then the milites, the officers and the “unsuspecting commander” would all play their roles, with the would-be usurper refusing at first (Macrinus played this game for three full days) until finally he caved under pressure and reluctantly accepted the purple due to the “insistence” of his men (even under protest of being forced to do so against their will), or due to the “danger to the state”, or “for the salvation of the res publica”.

All these reasonings and justifications were all very similar to the ones used by military dictators of the XIX and XX centuries, and they all smell the same to me (as rotten lies). The purpose of all this theater was the same that had impulsed the little show of Octavian Caesar and Maecenas: to put a fig’s leaf on what was essentially an armed coup and to disguise what was really happening as much as possible. If anything, that this practice lasted for so long just shows the extreme conservatism of Roman political culture and a certain lack of imagination, with usurpers of the III century CE imitating the actions of Octavian more than two centuries earlier which in turn were based on examples drawn from Rome’s legendary past (which Augustus probably also manipulated to his own benefit through his protection of writers and his commissioning of the great literary works of Titus Livius and Virgil about the idealized heroes of Rome’s past). If we were to believe Octavian and the usurpers who imitated him, all they wanted was to imitate Cincinnatus and retire to a humble rustic life after saving the res publica from an existential danger.

But not a single one of them (and as you’ve seen there were many) did ever try to flee from these menacing throngs of mutinious soldiers and reach the safety of another garrison. And not a single one of them was ever killed either. They all stood put and accepted the offered purple. Perhaps I’m a bit cynical, but frankly I find it a bit hard to believe.

Last edited:
Regular soldiers (the milites) did not organize coups. Coups were organized by senior officers from the rank of centurion upwards (just like in modern military coups).
Excellent post as usual but, though it is a sidetrack, I have to be pedantic about the part in brackets. In modern times, there have been coups by very low ranking officers and even some NCOs. Surinam's Bouterse was a sergeant at the time of his coup. Samuel Doe of Liberia was master sergeant. Khaddaffi of Libya was a lieutenant. Rawlings of Ghana was flight lieutenant (more or less equal to captain). Camara of Guinea and Sanogo of Mali were captains. I could go on a bit but you get the point. In more developed/settled/richer states, the ranks that commit coups tend to be higher. The lowest I could find was the military coup that started the Carnation Revolution in Portugal, which was led by 2 majors and a captain. I'd agree that your statements expresses a statistical truth but there are exceptions, particularly in Third World countries with smaller armed forces.

Excellent post as usual but, though it is a sidetrack, I have to be pedantic about the part in brackets. In modern times, there have been coups by very low ranking officers and even some NCOs. Surinam's Bouterse was a sergeant at the time of his coup. Samuel Doe of Liberia was master sergeant. Khaddaffi of Libya was a lieutenant. Rawlings of Ghana was flight lieutenant (more or less equal to captain). Camara of Guinea and Sanogo of Mali were captains. I could go on a bit but you get the point. In more developed/settled/richer states, the ranks that commit coups tend to be higher. The lowest I could find was the military coup that started the Carnation Revolution in Portugal, which was led by 2 majors and a captain. I'd agree that your statements expresses a statistical truth but there are exceptions, particularly in Third World countries with smaller armed forces.

I stand corrected in this case. But for the Roman Empire, in most cases before Gallienus’ reign where scholars have been able to reconstruct the careers (or the family origins) of usurpers, they came mostly from senatorial or equestrian backgrounds (meaning that their parents had been of senatorial or equestrian rank already). The only exception well attested to this rule is Pertinax, whose father was a freedman (at least according to the SHA), but by the time when he rose to the purple he was already a senator (and had been for decades) and an ex-consul. Maximinus Thrax came from provincial stock, and while the status of his parents is unknown, it’s unlikely that they were just “poor peasants”, and at any rate by the time he usurped power he’d reached the higher echelons of an equestrian career (he had been probably praeses Mesopotamiae and/or commander of any of the legions commanded by equestrian prefects). Similar arguments could perhaps be made for Aemilianus (who usurped Trebonianus Gallus’ throne) and some other obscure usurpers like Ingenuus, Silbannacus, Sponsianus and Postumus (this later character had probably even enjoyed an honorary consulship). All the other known usurpers (because from time to time a new coin appears with yet a new unheard-of character) came from either senatorial (the majority) or equestrian families.

The nature of Roman society was such that without family connections and clientelar networks it was almost impossible to rise to a position of preeminence, and in this respect those who were born with the “correct” background enjoyed an overwhelming advantadge over those who did not (this does not mean it was impossible, but it was much, much more difficult). Without connections and patronage you did not go anywhere in public life. The first emperor who managed to breach this entrenched social system within the army was Gallienus, and he probably only did so just as another desperate survival measure; he needed men of real military talent and he needed men whom he could trust and probably he believed that men of such low origins would be personally indebted to him for such meteoric rises (and would not have had the opportunity to build clientelar networks of their own). It did work ... for a time, perhaps nine or eight years until he was murdered by a joint conspiracy of his Illyrian officers, who by then had had already enough time to become acquainted with the mores and proceedings of the higher echelons of the Roman elite.

Last edited:

Sweden is indeed a very special case. In Poland the very last usurpation happened in early 14th century.

23.1 IRAN UNDER ŠĀBUHR I. ECONOMY AND DEMOGRAPHY.
23.1 IRAN UNDER ŠĀBUHR I. ECONOMY AND DEMOGRAPHY.

The reign of Šābuhr I is characterized above all by the energetic continuation of the economic policies of his father Ardaxšir I. The main goal was to reinforce the position of the crown and the Sasanian dynasty in front of the Iranian nobility, formed by the šāhryārān (the vassal kings, members of the House of Sāsān), the wispuhrān (princes of royal blood) and the wuzurgān (the grandees, most of which stemmed from ancient Parthian families).

With the benefit of hindsight, the Arsacid and Sasanian empires could be described as a “confederation” of noble clans which most unusually chose to allow themselves to be governed by kings forming a (more or less at times) unified policy between the III century BCE and the VII century CE. Such a policy would have collapsed eventually, but these Iranian empires (after all, the Sasanian empire was basically just a continuation of the Arsacid empire under another ruling dynasty) managed to perdure against all odds. The glue that kept them together was the custom, tradition or whatever we want to call it that was followed by the nobles which mandated that they were to be ruled by a single king, a tradition no doubt reinforced by the selfish realization on their part that they needed an arbiter to mediate in their internecine disputes and especially a supreme commander to lead them in war against foreign foes.

The first two Sasanian kings fulfilled this role as commanders of the Iranian nobility in battle admirably well and probably also managed to avoid upsetting the nobles with their inner policies, because the reigns of Ardaxšir I and Šābuhr I are remarkably free of the kind of internal conflicts that had wrecked so much the Arsacid empire during its last two and a half centuries. But this does not mean that these two kings were just content with letting the internal situation of their empire remain as it had been. They both began a series of long-term policies directed towards the strengthening of royal power without upsetting the traditional rights and status of the Iranian nobility.

They strived to achieve this goal through the economic development of the royal domains, in order to increase their income as much as possible, so that they would be able to sustain a royal army as large as possible, thus reducing the dependence of Sasanian kings on the levies of the nobility in times of war (and of course, also to ensure their own personal security in case of nobiliary revolt. Later Islamic sources inform us that the upper crust of the nobility (the wuzurgān) were formed by seven great clans, each of whom was expected by law and custom to supply the king with a force of 10,000 men in case of war. Of course, the actual reliability of this information is dubious (the number seven is derived from Zoroastrian cosmogony, for example Darius I also had seven companions who founded seven great families, and Aršak I also had seven companions when he invaded the Iranian plateau), but scholars think that it gives a good idea of the magnitude of the forces that could be mobilized by the wuzurgān. Under the Arsacids and the early Sasanians, such a force dwarfed the royal army, which as I wrote in an earlier post has been estimated by Olbrycht to have been around 20,000 strong, with only 10,000 of them being the royal guard and being always available for the king. In other words, the effective armed strength of the king (not tied down in garrisons, etc.) was probably in the same order of magnitude of a single great clan. A general nobiliary revolt was thus a mortal danger for any Iranian king, because he simply could not cope with the forces that the united nobility could array against him.

Glass_Bowl.jpg

Glass making was one of the crafts that achieved a higher level of development in Sasanian Iran, and it probably began also during the reign of Šābuhr I.

Luckily for them, very few (if any) of the Arsacid and Sasanian kings had to deal with such a scenario, because the wuzurgān were usually disunited and divided over internecine rivalries, so the kings (if they had a minimum of political ability) could always play one nobiliary clique against another. But still, the specter of a general uprising was always there and had to be treated very seriously. Even if not was a general uprising, just a partial one was well enough to plunge the empire into civil war; the Sasanians knew it very well because the rose to the throne of Iran exactly in this way, leading a great nobiliary uprising against the last Arsacid Great King of Iran.

So, Šābuhr I and practically all his successors would follow the same policies that Ardaxšir I had inaugurated in this respect: slow strengthening of the resource base of the crown while at the same time avoiding at all costs to rock the boat of social hierarchy in Iran. The only king who would make a difference in this respect was Kawād I in the late V and early VI centuries CE, who through his support of the Mazdakite movement threatened to unhinge the social order in Iran from top to bottom. The tension between the Sasanian dynasty and the Iranian nobles was to be the main theme during the 400 years of history of this dynasty, and according to the scholar Parvaneh Pourshariati, the final downfall of the empire was caused to a large extent because the “social contract” between the nobility and the House of Sāsān broke down during the second half of the VI century CE.

Just as his father had been, Šābuhr I was a great builder of cities, which were always located in royal estates, and helped to develop their economy. But in the case of Šābuhr I we are much better informed about the scale of his efforts in this respects: the cities he founded (or rather re-founded in most cases), the bridges, dams and irrigation schemes he had built, and how he achieved this: he had many more resources available than his father, thanks to his great victories against the Roman empire he won a large amount of wealth in precious metals, but also (another key difference from his father) he resorted to a custom that had a long history among near eastern dynasties: he deported large numbers of people from the Roman empire (Anērān) into his kingdom and settled them in royal domains, as stated unanimously by western sources, Syriac chronicles and by the ŠKZ:

And people who are of the Roman Empire, from Anērān, captive we deported. In Ērānšahr in Pārs, Pahlav, Xūzestān, Āsūrestān, and in any other land where our own and our fathers’ and our grandfathers’ and our ancestors’ estates were, there we settled them.

The legal status of these deported captives was probably that of royal slaves, for in the KKZ the expression wardag (war captive, slave) is used in reference to them. Iranian society (as all ancient societies) allowed slavery, although according to surviving legal (Mādayān ī hazār dādestān -The Book of a Thousand Judgements-), dating from the Sasanian era and religious Zoroastrian texts (book VIII of the Dēnkard, the Pahlavi Rivayat Accompanying the Dādestān ī Dēnīg, and the Ērbadestān) which were composed after the fall of the Sasanian empire, there were several categories of slaves and the legal rights of the owner with respect to a slave were restricted (in other words, there were certain acts that the law did not allow the master of a slave to do to his “possession”); in this respect the status of slaves was quite similar to the one that existed in the Late Roman empire.

The captives were settled by Šābuhr I according to the ŠKZ in the provinces where there were royal domains, and he lists them: Pārs (Persia proper), Pahlav (Parthia, in northeastern Iran and southwestern Turkmenistan), Xūzestān (the modern Iranian province of Khuzestan) and Āsūrestān (lower Mesopotamia, in modern-day Iraq). These areas correspond exactly with the areas where Šābuhr I is known for sure to have built new cities or re-founded existing ones. The best known among them are:

Pērōz-Šābūhr (literally meaning “victorious Šābuhr”), which is the name that Šābuhr I gave to the old city of Misiḵē where he defeated the army of Gordian III in 244 CE. The city was rebuilt on a much larger scale, with strong fortifications and was transformed into a primary military base (hence its other name Anbār, which means “granary” in Middle Persian). It was captured by the army of Julian in 363 CE, and Ammianus Marcellinus described it as a very strong fortress which was surrounded by double brick walls with towers coated with bitumen at the level of the moat drawn from the Euphrates. In the center stood a tall, circular citadel where the Romans found large quantities of weapons and provisions. The garrison amounted to 2,500 men. The city was called by Ammianus as Pirisabora, and it was known to Babylonian Jews as Pumbedita, one of the main centers of rabbinic Judaism in Mesopotamia, famous for its rabbinic academy. The city remained prosperous until the IX-X centuries in which it began a slow decline; by the XIV century only ruins remained, which can be seen today five km to the northwest of the modern city of Fallujah in Iraq.

Peroz_Shapur_01.jpg

A drought in 2009 caused the waters of the Euphrates in Iraq to drop enough to allow some ancient remains to resurface that scholars believe belong to the ancient Sasanian city of Pērōz-Šābūhr .

Gondēšāpur is perhaps the most famous among the cities founded by Šābuhr I. It was located in Khuzestan, on the banks of the Siāh Manṣur river. Together with Karḵa, Susa, and Šuštar it was one of the four main cities of Xūzestān, a province to which the early Sasanians devoted extensive attention and investments, turning it into the second richest area of the empire after lower Mesopotamia. During Sasanian rule, rice and sugar cultivation were introduced into this area (for which they developed extensive irrigation systems) from India. These were cash crops which were exported all over the empire and abroad, and together with a flourishing textile industry helped fill the coffers of the Sasanian kings with taxes. The etymology of the name Gondēšāpur is much disputed. Some argue that it was founded over an already existing Aramaic settlement called Bēṯ Lapaṭ (which remained for centuries the Aramaic name for the city), while archaeological digs have failed to reveal pre-Sasanian remains. The name Gondēšāpur could be a contraction of Gund-dēz-i Shābūr (“Šābuhr’s fortress”) or Weh-Andiyok-Shābūr (“the better Antioch of Šābuhr”), with the latter option being the most probable. The Islamic author Ḥamza Eṣfahāni described it as a rectangular city built following a regular grid, and archaeological excavations conducted in the 1930s and 1960s confirmed it, which strongly resembles the array of a Roman military fort (due to the constant plowing of the land, today practically nothing remains of ancient Gondēšāpur at ground level). But the fortifications of the city were quite meager, which seems to discard any function as a military base. These facts support strongly the local tradition (reflected in Islamic sources) that Gondēšāpur was in fact the final settling place of the captives made by Šābuhr I in the Roman East, including military men (who probably were made responsible for the building of the settlement). The city flourished and prospered for four centuries but began a steady decline after the Muslim conquest until its final abandonment in the X-XI centuries. Along with its artisanal and agricultural wealth, Gondēšāpur was famous for its intellectual production; especially during the VI century CE, when under Xusrō I it housed many pagan and “heretical” Roman exiles which translated a substantial amount of Greek texts (especially dealing with medicine, astronomy and mathematics) into Middle Persian. According to Islamic authors, this same king also invited Indian “wise men” to settle in Gondēšāpur, where important Indian texts were translated from Sanskrit into Middle Persian.

Another of the cities founded by Šābuhr I which was destined to enjoy a bright future was Nēv-Šābuhr (literally, “excellent is Šābuhr”, which has transformed into Nīšāpūr in New Persian). The city was founded as the new administrative center of the northeastern province of Abaršahr (located in Parthia, and later in late Sasanian and Islamic Khorasan), probably as a more suitable center for the defense of this exposed stretch of border between the Kopet Dagh mountains and the westernmost part of the Afghan mountains, which was the main avenue of invasion into the Iranian plateau for Central Asian nomads than the older fortified city of Tūs. Apart from its military function, the city was suitably located to act as the entryway of the great caravan route that came from Sogdiana and China (the so-called “Silk Route”), to control the important mines of turquoise located nearby, and it was also placed nearby to the great Zoroastrian sanctuary of Ādur Burzēn-Mihr, which would become in later times one of the three Great Fires of Iran. The city flourished during Sasanian times (by the V century CE it had a Nestorian bishop) but its golden era was to come in Islamic times, between the X century CE and the Mongol invasion, when Nīšāpūr became one of the great four cities of Khorasan and one of the main metropolis of the Islamic world. This golden era ended in 1221, when Genghis Khan’s armies razed the city to the ground, but the city recovered somewhat and has retained a regional importance to this day.

Nishapur_Revand.jpg

The Revand valley near Nishapur, where scholars think that perhaps once stood the great Zoroastrian sanctuary of Ādur Burzēn-Mihr.

Nishapur_Mines_01.png

The turquoise mines of Nishapur are still in exploitation today, and historically have been the source of the blue pigment used in the bright blue tiles that adorned Iranian mosques, madrasahs and palaces during the Middle Ages and later.

Bay-Šābuhr in Pārs (literally meaning “Lord Šābuhr”) was built by Šābuhr I as his own residence in the home province of his dynasty, to fulfill the same role that the city of Ardaxšir-Xwarrah had played during his father’s reign. The name was soon contracted and became Bīšāpūr in New Persian. Bīšāpūr became quickly one of the most important cities in Pārs (with a population of up to 50,000 people); later some of the successors of Šābuhr I would also spend lengths of time there. The city was probably finished in 266 CE, at least it seems to appear so by the bilingual inscription (in Middle Persian and Parthian) found in a commemorative monument in its ruins. Bīšāpūr was built further west than Eṣṭaḵr and Ardaxšir-Xwarrah (which stand in the geographical center of Pārs), on a road that led from Eṣṭaḵr to Šūštar in Xūzestān. The city followed a rectangular plan with a regular grid of streets that could again suggest Roman influence; according to local tradition and the writings of Islamic authors Bīšāpūr was the place where Valerian was confined, along with many of his defeated soldiers. The most important area of the ancient city is (according to the archaeological digs of the 1930s and 1960s) was occupied by the royal complex, which included a palace (with mosaic floors which again show a strong Roman influence) and a subterranean structure linked by a channel to the nearby river, which scholars believe could have been a temple to the goddess of the waters Anāhīd, who was also a deity closely linked to the Sasanian dynasty. Following the practice of his father, Šābuhr I chose the nearby river gorge of Tang-e Čowgān to carve four great rock reliefs (referred to as Bishapur I, II, III and VII) depicting his victories against the Roman Empire. These reliefs grew progressively more ambitious as his reign advanced and the latest of them (Bishapur III) is a vast composition (again showing certain Roman influences in its sculptures) depicting Šābuhr I in triumph over Gordian III, Philip the Arab and Valerian, surrounded by his victorious armies and tribute bearers in an arrangement reminiscent of the Achaemenid reliefs at Persepolis. In a cave near there Šābuhr I also had a colossal statue of himself carved out of a natural stalactite which has survived to this day. The city remained prosperous until the Muslim conquest, when it began a slow but steady decline that ended with its abandonment in the X century CE.

Bishapur_03.jpg

Aerial view of the remains of the royal complex at Bīšāpūr.

Bishapur_05.jpg

This underground structure is though by archaeologists to have been a temple dedicated to the goddess of the waters Anāhīd.

Bishapur_06.jpg

Decorative stucco panel recovered from the ruins of Šābuhr I's palace at Bīšāpūr. The Sasanians inherited the craft of decorating their palaces and temples with stuccoes from the Arsacids, and developed it to new heights; this tradition would later be taken up by medieval Muslims which carried it over across the whole Islamic world.

The city of Šūštar in Khuzestan was also greatly enlarged by Šābuhr I. Šūštar is situated by the Karun river, the third longest river in Iran, and was the place selected by Šābuhr I to build its largest known (to this date) irrigation development project, which is still functional to this day. The Šūštar Historical Hydraulic System is today an Unesco World Heritage Site, and encompasses a vast array of canals, subterranean qanats, two major dams and water mills. The key part of the system was the dam-bridges (rather a weir than a proper dam) of Band-e Kaysar and the smaller one of Band-i Mizan; local tradition, as recorded by Islamic authors, attributes its building to Roman captives, and archaeology seems to confirm this. The dams are built with masonry blocks put in place with lime mortar and filled with mortar and rubble, a technique alien to local tradition, but which is typically Roman. Also, the combination of dam and bridge that can be seem in these two dams has no precedents in Iran, but is well attested in the Roman empire. The enterprise was immense and must have involved an extremely large workforce during a period stretching from three to seven years. Things were made more complicated by the fact that Šūštar lies on a rocky plateau, and so excavation was difficult at many points. Still, the objectives of Šābuhr I were ambitious: the project would allow to irrigate a flat area around Šūštar of around 150,000 Ha.

Band-e_Kaysar_01.jpg

The remains of the Band-e Kaysar dam and bridge near Šūštar in Khuzestan.

Sustar_Mills_01.jpg

One of the parts of the complex water system built at Šūštar; at this place several qanats brought water to run mills and other small artisanal activities (weavers, dyers, etc.).

To build the dam, first a canal had to be dug to divert the whole flow of the Karun river; the channel known as Ab-i Gargar collected the waters of the Karun river upstream from the place where the dam had to be built and rejoined the old riverbed 50 km downstream, past the city of Šūštar. Then, on the old riverbed, the building of the dam began. Its layout was not straight, but followed a winding path in order that the foundations could be built over a solid strata of sandstone. The dam itself was not too high and it worked rather as a weir than as a proper dam, as it would have allowed water to overflow (the rise of the water level has been estimated to have been of around 3-4 meters overall, which would have been enough to irrigate the surrounding lands during the dry season) but was very thick (9-10 meters) as it had to accommodate a bridge over it. The bridge itself ran all along the 500 meter-long dam and it was formed by forty main arches that supported a roadway. The arches stood over extremely solid piers, 5-6.4 meters wide; their upstream side was built with a pointed form to act as cutwaters; these cutwaters were built following Roman practice, with large cut masonry blocks hold together with iron clamps, and an interior filled with a mix of mortar and rubble. The riverbed upstream in front of the cutwaters was paved with large stone slabs in order to prevent the river current from eroding the foundations.

Once the dam was completed, the river stream was allowed to flow again along its natural course, although part of it was still diverted through the Ab-i Gargar canal. The city of Šūštar thus became located on an “island” between the two streams of water; this artificial “island” was known in later times as Mianāb (meaning “paradise”) and was completely covered with orchards. The water collected in the dams was conducted across the plain of Šūštar by a network of underground qanats that, apart from carrying water for agriculture also served to provide motor force to a series of mills located along their length. The city was also provided with strong fortifications that withstood the passing of time until the Safavid era.

Not far from there, also on the banks of the Karun river Šābuhr I founded (or re-built) the city of Hormozd-Ardaxšir (there’s some confusion in Islamic authors about it, as some of them attribute its foundation to Ardaxšir I) which stood on the site of the modern Iranian city of Ahvāz. Šābuhr I probably named it in honor of his favorite son and heir, the Great King of Armenia Hormozd-Ardaxšir. Little is known about this city, except that as according to Islamic authors the city (in a pattern followed in several other settlements in the Arsacid and Sasanian empires) was divided in two parts: a civilian city which became the main commercial center of Xūzestān, while the other part (on the other side of the river and strongly fortified) was the “royal city” with military and administrative functions. The city became prosperous and survived the Islamic conquest (although the Muslim conquerors destroyed the “royal city”).

Dezful_Bridge_01.jpg

The Dezful bridge over the Karun river in Khuzestan, also built during Šābuhr I's reign. Part of it has been rebuilt in concrete, but it's the oldest functioning bridge in Iran.

Another city founded by Šābuhr I was Šābuhrkhast, which is today the modern Iranian city of Khorramabad in Loristan in southwestern Iran, on the southern Zagros. Some scholars believe that in this same place stood once the ancient Elamite city of Khaydalu, destroyed by the Assyrians in the VII century BCE. Šābuhrkhast was built around a massive citadel known in ancient times as Dež-e Šābuhr-Khwāst (Šābuhr’s castle) and is known today as Falak-ol-Aflak castle. It’s still intact and it has fulfilled its original military function until the XIX century; it’s one of the best surviving examples of Sasanian military architecture. The city stood on a crossroads that connected Bīšāpūr with Ctesiphon and the cities built by Šābuhr I in Xūzestān, as well as with Hamadan and northern Iran, and near it Šābuhr I built the longest bridge built in Iran in ancient times, known still today as “Shapuri Bridge”, 312 meters long and 11 meters high. It had originally 28 arches, of which only 5 stand still intact.

Falak_Ol_Aflak_01.jpg

Today, the old Sasanian citadel (known today as the Falak-ol-Aflak castle) still dominates the Iranian city of Khorramabad.

Shapuri_Bridge_01.jpg

Remains of Shapuri Bridge near Khorramabad.

The mass deportations from the Roman empire had also the unexpected consequence of importing great numbers of Christians into Ērānšāhr, and Xūzestān became quickly a region with a Christian majority by the IV century CE. This would cause problems later when Christianity became the official religion of the Roman empire, but until the reign of Šābuhr II there’s no record of persecution against Christians apart from the statement of the priest Kirdēr at the KKZ. There were already important Jewish, Gnostic and Christian communities in Mesopotamia before Šābuhr I’s reign, but his mass deportations helped to increase the numbers of Christians, which by the following century had become numerous and well established in Mesopotamia and Khuzestan.

In stark contrast with what was happening in the Roman empire, Šābuhr I kept the Sasanian silver coin, the drahm, at a high level of purity (well over 90%), a level that was preserved by all his successors during the 400 years of Sasanian rule. This was the result of a healthy trade balance and an increased economic activity (the arsacid drahm stood at a considerably lesser purity level during the rule of the last Arsacid kings) as well as the military conquests in the East and the Caucasus, which allowed Šābuhr I:
  • Control over the branch of the Silk Road that had crossed the Pamir, entered India through the Kashmir valley and following the course of the Indus river had been used by the Romans and Kushans to bypass Arsacid territory. Now, Roman sea traders from Egypt had lost this ability to bypass Sasanian tolls.
  • Control over the northernmost branch of the Silk Road, which crossed the Central Asian steppe north of Iran and reached the Caucasus to enter Roman territory through Armenia and the Pontus. Now, the Sasanians controlled Armenia and the Caucasian kingdoms of Albania and Iberia, and so they enjoyed total control over all the possible branches of the western part of the Silk Road.
  • Control over the large silver mines of the Panjšir valley in Bactria (northern Afghanistan). These mines were put under royal control and were extremely important in order to allow the Sasanians to keep the silver content of the drahm high and stable.
The conquests of Šābuhr I must’ve also supposed a considerable increase in the total population of the Sasanian empire, as some of these areas were heavily populated. Armenia and Bactria (which were annexed for sure) were populous lands, and if further annexations were conducted south of the Hindu Kush, then the increases in population (and in taxable subjects) must’ve been higher still. But the lack of sources and evidence about the eastern conquests of the two first Sasanian kings makes it very difficult to offer any data as secure as those available for western Iran. In the case of Bactria some scholars believe that the Sasanian conquest caused a drop in population and the amount of cultivated land; but as I wrote in a previous post there’s uncertainty even about which of the two first Sasanian kings actually conquered Bactria and turned it into the new province of Tokārestān, which was to be the core of the new sub-kingdom of Kušānšāhr.

Last edited:
"The better Antioch of Šābuhr”. I can't help but like this guy.

Well, the guy wasn’t exactly a paragon of modesty. In the ŠKZ, he calls himself:

an mazdesn bay šābuhr šāhān šāh ērān ud anērān kē cihr az yazdān, pus mazdesn bay ardaxšēr šāhān šāh ērān kē cihr az yazdān, nab bay pābag šāh, ērānšahr xvadāy ham. ud dāram

I, the Mazdayasnian Majesty Šābuhr, king of kings of Aryans and non-Aryans, who is of the seed of the gods, son of the Mazdayasnian Majesty Ardaxšir, king of kings of the Aryans, who is of the seed of the gods, grandson of (His) Majesty Pābag, king, am lord of Ērānšahr.

Someone who considers himself to come “from the seed of the gods” (kē cihr az yazdān) should not be expected to show restraint in something as trivial as naming a new city :D.

Last edited:

Agreed, that is a hilarious bit of shade-throwing.

23.2 IRAN UNDER ŠĀBUHR I. THE SOCIETY OF ĒRĀNŠĀHR.
23.2 IRAN UNDER ŠĀBUHR I. THE SOCIETY OF ĒRĀNŠĀHR.

Quite a lot is known about the society of late antique Iran during the late century of Sasanian rule, but it’s unclear how much of this knowledge is applicable to early Sasanian Iran. By the VI century CE, Sasanian society was so hierarchically complex that in Middle Persian and early Islamic sources more than 600 different social ranks can be detected, which has caused an immense amount of confusion among scholars. By this time, the inflation of administrative, military and nobiliary titles had also reached such levels that East Roman and Islamic sources are routinely confused by them and mix titles, names and family names when referring to individuals. It’s highly unlikely that during the reigns of Ardaxšir I and Šābuhr I the situation was already so extreme in this respect, but it’s probably under them when the trend began towards an ever-increasing degree of elaboration of social hierarchies.

I’ll try to describe here in broad strokes what could have been the situation in the III century CE and which titles and ranks can be reasonably placed in this timeframe without falling in anachronisms. This is made more difficult by the fact that all the remaining sources date from the last century of Sasanian rule, or were written after the fall of the Sasanian empire. This also includes the Zoroastrian Pahlavi Books, which are the Dēnkard (written in the X century in Middle Persian) and the Bundahišn, which is dated (very tentatively) in the VIII-IX centuries. The other later sources were written by Islamic authors in New Persian or Arabic during the IX-XI centuries.

The source of Iranian law under the Sasanians was the Zoroastrian tradition, which encompassed all the aspects of life (in a following post I’ll deal with the thorny issues of what was exactly understood as the “proper” Zoroastrian tradition and who got to determine it). As Ohrmazd had established order out of chaos and battled for the triumph of order in the cosmos, so the king had to battle and fight chaos in order to bring order in earth. Order made possible the well-being of the people, and order could only be ensured by the proper dispensation of justice by the king. If the king was unjust, then society would be thrown into chaos (this is a concept deeply enshrined in Iranian tradition, and which appears once and again in that epic compilation of Iranian national legends and traditions that is the Šāh-nāmah of Ferdowsī). And if society and its order was thrown into disorder, it was incumbent to the king to bring back order in society. And by this, what was understood was an orderly class division, which the extant sources defend vehemently.

The concept of social order was synonymous in Sasanian times with that of class division. According to what can be discerned from the Dēnkard and Bundahišn this class division was extraordinarily rigid, but scholars are unsure if this was so in reality in Sasanian times or if this is just a theoretical abstraction put together by Zoroastrian priests that never got to be really applied in full. According to these legal principles, Sasanian society was divided into four classes (pēšag), which were (in order of precedence):
  • The priests (āsrōnān).
  • The warriors (arteštārān).
  • The husbandmen (wāstaryōšān) and farmers (dahigān).
  • The artisans and traders (hutuxšān), which were treated by Zoroastrian law as an estate separated from the other three and as being somewhat like a class of outcasts.
In turn, each of these classes/estates were subdivided into different ranks. The priests were divided into:
  • The chief priests (mowbedān).
  • Priests attending the fires (hērbedān).
  • Expert theologians (dastūrān).
  • Judges (dādwarān).
  • Learned priests (radān).
Surviving Middle Persian texts like the Hērbedestān provide even more titles and functions, which attests to the high degree of specialization and the ubiquity of the priestly estate in all the fields of Sasanian public life. As can be seen from the above list, judges were chosen among them, because the law was based on Zoroastrian religion and custom. In a similar way to what would later happen in the Islamic world with religious minorities, non-Zoroastrians were allowed their own judges and to use their own law for internal affairs, but in criminal cases or in cases where a Zoroastrian believer was involved, the case had to be ruled by a dādwar from among the Zoroastrian priesthood. They also acted as councilors (andarzbed) and, according to epigraphic remains, there were also councilor-priests (mowān andarzbed) who enjoyed the status of important functionaries. Another important priestly office quoted in extant sources was the Priest of Ohrmazd (ohrmazd mowbed); but please keep always in mind that scholars are not sure of when each of these titles appeared (or disappeared), which were their exact functions and if said functions varied over time. By the fifth century CE each class of priests had its own chief and there’s evidence for two of them, the chief of the mowbedān known as mowbedān mowbed (for this post, the first attested appointee is Kirdēr in the late III century CE, according to the KKZ), and for the teacher-priests attending the fires, the hērbedān hērbed.

Bahram_Fire_Temple.jpg

Remains of the Bahram Fire temple near Rayy, Iran.

Priests were trained in seminaries where religious scripture and prayers were learned and memorized and theological matters were discussed under supervision. These religious schools included the mowestāns and hērbedestāns. In certain sources a title also appears which seems to have been the highest position among the priests which may be translated as “Zoroaster-like” (zarduxšttom). The zarduxšttom’s residence is not clear but he certainly had to remain in the empire and not venture out if the surviving Middle Persian sources are to be believed.

The term which covered the religious body as a whole was dēnbarān, “those who were concerned with learning and culture” (frahang). The performance of correct ritual ceremonies (Sasanian Zoroastrianism was a religion which revolved around the correct performance of sacred rituals, above all the Yasna, which included the daily recitation by the priests -by memory alone- of its 72-part text which included the Gathas of Zoroaster) brought about the success of the warriors against the enemy and of the farmers for better cultivation of the land and salvation for the masses.

Thus, not only the priests’ guidance, but also their actions, made certain the well-being of the society. The Middle Persian text known as the Dādestān ī Mēnōg ī Xrad (the Book of a Thousand Judgements) spells out the functions of the priest and the activities in which a priest should not partake. These include the usual expectations from a priest of any religion:

to uphold the religion, worshipping the deities, passing judgments in religious and ritual matters based on past testaments, directing people to do well, and to show the way to heaven and to invoke the fear of hell.

Not all priests were of course working in the state apparatus or were part of the Zoroastrian state church; some were either denounced or simply seen as heretic (a process that probably began with Kirdēr). The priests not only functioned in the religious and the legal apparatus, but also in the economic sphere as well. They were in charge of overlooking the taxes which were to be collected for the state as is evidenced by the appearance of their signature in the form of signet rings on bullae or on ostracae. In one instance a priest was condemned for cheating or lying on a question of jurisdictions between several priestly courts. The hērbedān also functioned as teachers of the religious hymns and rituals for the people, and their religious focal points were probably the fire-temples (ātaxš kadag) which were present in every village, town and city and whose remains can still be found today scattered across the Iranian countryside and which are known commonly as Chahar Taq. The fire-temples were frequented not only by those who wanted to say their prayer before the sacred fire or listen to the hērbed, but also in time of hunger and thirst people would seek the fire-temples for relief.

The estate of the warriors (artēštārān) composed the second estate of the society and its function was to protect the empire and its subjects from external foes. This estate was formed essentially by the nobility, the supposed role of the warriors was to protect the empire, and to deal with people with gentility and keep their oath. Obviously, this was a very diverse estate, which included the sub-kings members of the House of Sāsān (šahrdārān), members of the royal house without a kingly title (wispuhrān), grandees (wuzurgān), lesser nobility (āzādān) and the gentry (dehgān). A further subdivision which was parallel to the former one was that between cavalrymen (asvārān) and infantrymen (paygān). Due to the military traditions of the Iranians, cavalrymen enjoyed a much higher status than infantrymen, and the fact that the warriors had to pay for their own equipment ensured that the prestigious ranks of the asvārān were filled with the upper classes of the nobility and their immediate retainers.

Sasanian_Bowl.jpg

Portrait of a nobleman at the center of a golden phial bowl, dated to the III-IV centuries CE.

Just as the clergy had to attend seminaries, the soldiers were also to be trained in the military sciences and manuals of military warfare which were in existence and whose remnants are present in the artēštārestān in the Dēnkard. The alliance between the priests and the warriors was of paramount importance since the idea of Ērānšāhr, which had manifested itself under the Sasanians as a set territory ruled by the warrior aristocracy, conceptually had been developed and revived by the priests. This alliance was very important in the survival of the state at the beginning of the Sasanian empire, and it became part of the idyllic axiom of the Zoroastrian religion, where religion and the state were seen as two pillars which were inseparable from each other (the reality proved to be much different from this theoretical vision, though).

All the major offices in the army (spāh) were filled by the nobility (as under the Arsacids and as until the fall of the Sasanian empire). Although later Middle Persian and Islamic sources give very detailed list of military posts, almost none of them can be dated with any certainty to the times of Šābuhr I. The major titles which are quoted in the ŠKZ for high-ranking members of Šābuhr I’s court are (by order of precedence):
  • Šābuhr, the bidaxš; this was a very high-ranking title which scholars translate roughly as “viceroy” or “king’s lieutenant”. If we take it for what it seems its literal meaning, this was a vice-king who was to act as second to the king and fulfill his role in his absence.
  • Pābag, the hazāruft (or hazārbēd); literally “the commander of the thousand”. Scholars believe that he was originally the commander of the royal guard, and by extension of the whole royal “private” army as well.
  • Pērōz, the aspbēd (chief of cavalry); it was an office inherited from Arsacid times (when the aspbēd had been the second in command of the army after the king).
These are the only army command posts that can be securely dated to the reign of Šābuhr I. A new development in the Sasanian army under Šābuhr I was the appearance of a corps of war elephants (pīl-bānān), which would remain an important element of the spāh until the Muslim conquest. The Islamic author Tabarī wrote that Šābuhr I used these animals to raze the city of Hatra after conquering it. Most probably, the addition of elephants to the Sasanian army (the Arsacids had never used them) was a result of Šābuhr I’s conquests in the East against the Kushans. For the reign of Šābuhr I a sophisticated approach to siege warfare is also attested by the spectacular finds at Dura Europos, where it became clear that the Sasanian army had become equal to the Roman one in this field, with the use of mines, ramps and even poisonous gas. According to the IV century CE author Ammianus Marcellinus, the only field where the Romans retained a technical advantage was in artillery.

Sasanian_seal_01.png

Sasanian royalty, nobles, priests and scribes used personal ring seals . This drawing by the Belgian numismatist Ryka Gyselen depicts the personal seal of Weh-dēn-Šābuhr Ērānanbaragbed, a member of the nobility and a high functionary (the Ērānanbaragbed was in command of the overall supply of the whole Sasanian military).

The third estate consisted of the husbandmen (wāstaryōšān), and farmers (dahigān), whose function was to till the land and keep the empire prosperous, and were represented by a chief of husbandmen (wāstaryōšān sālār). They were producers of the foodstuffs as well as the tax base for the empire and as a result the land under cultivation was surveyed by the government and taxes exacted from it, although probably this was only true for the lands under direct royal control. Land cultivation was a pious act according to the Zoroastrian religion and letting it sit idle a sin. The function of the farmers was “farming and bringing cultivation and as much as possible, bringing ease and prosperity.”

The fourth estate was treated somewhat separately by Zoroastrian law. They were the traders and artisans (hutuxšān). Based on the structure and the differentiating language in extant Middle Persian texts, an uneasiness by the priests towards the artisans/merchants can be perceived. In chapter 30 of the Dādestān ī Mēnōg ī Xrad, the author discusses the function of the first three estates, and while the priests, warriors, and husbandmen/peasants are treated under this chapter the artisans are treated in a separate section in chapter 31. The language and the length employed in specifying the function of this estate reflects the negative view of the Zoroastrian priesthood regarding the artisan class:

(They) should not undertake a task with which they are not familiar, and perform well and with concentration those tasks which they know. Ask for fair wages, because if someone does not know a task and performs that task, it is possible for him to ruin it or leave it unfinished, and that man himself is satisfied it would be a sin for him.

The negative tone of this passage when compared with that of the previous chapter dealing with the first three estates shows that when Zoroastrian priests began to codify laws in regard to social matters, the artisans/merchants were placed at the very bottom. This dim view of the artisans or the merchant class is especially important in the face of the large number of artisans/merchants in the Sasanian empire in Late Antiquity. This negative view probably contributed to the reduction of the involvement of Zoroastrian believers in these tasks which were left to religious minorities. It also appears that the government was never involved in opening economic markets or actively engaged in business, but rather private individuals were to be the major proponents of trade. The government was only to assure the upkeep and safety of the roads and to exact toll road taxes.

This also reflects a deep incongruence (almost a “schizophrenic” attitude) on behalf of Sasanian kings. On one side, they were deeply tied to Zoroastrianism, its core beliefs and its priesthood and traditions (which we should remember were also those of the very class they represented and which ruled the empire, the Iranian nobility). They took pains in showing themselves as stout supporters of the Good Religion: in his rock inscriptions, Šābuhr I called himself “the Mazdayasnian (or Mazda-whorshipping) Majesty”, boasted about his foundation of many sacred fires and his protection of the Zoroastrian priesthood and in the reverse of his coins a fire altar is always shown. But on the other hand he built a large number of new towns and cities which were centers of trade and artisan activity, and filled them with non-Zoroastrian deportees. As we will see in a later post, Šābuhr I is a somewhat special case, but all his successors including those who were much more unwavering supporters of Zoroastrianism (like Šābuhr II) kept exactly the same politics in this respect, which has led to perplexity among historians. Because what is true is that in the long run the proliferation of new cities and the growing urbanization of the Iranian plateau contributed to the undermining of the archaic social order which was based in the old Iranian pre-Iron Age traditions of which Zoroastrianism was their religious reflection. Already under Šābuhr I, this tension began to surface with the king’s protection of Mani, which probably raised great outrage among the ranks of the āsrōnān.

The ranks of the merchants and artisans in the older cities (like Ctesiphon or Susa) and in the new ones, either outside or inside the Iranian plateau, were filled by Jews, Christians, Manicheans, Mandaeans, Buddhists and several other assorted minorities, whose members were usually also not ethnical Iranians, but rather Semitic Arameans or Arabs in the west and Sogdians in the east, and this in turn only served to entrench more the mistrust of the Zoroastrian priesthood over them. This may be a reason why Islam spread rapidly when it was introduced to the Iranian plateau, because it was business-friendly. After all the Prophet Muhammad, a merchant himself, lived in Mecca, an important trading city, and he was well aware of the importance of the merchant class in society.

Royal workshops were controlled by the state to hold up the standards in the making of such commodities as the silver dishes used as propaganda instruments and the production of glass and other goods for the nobility. Roman and Mesopotamian skilled workers were among this group which used Roman techniques in artistic production. The cities where these foreign laborers were established and those who worked in the royal workshops (probably under the status of royal slaves captured in war) were kept under close watch. A guild Master (Kārragbed) was in charge of the production and the workers. All four estates were overseen by a pēšag sālār which according to legal texts was the chief of the estates and ensured the maintenance of the proper social order.

Of course, this division was what is reflected in Zoroastrian religious and legal texts which as I’ve said before are dated in some cases to three centuries after the fall of the Sasanian empire. If we were to believe them, a poor Zoroastrian peasant would be privileged by law with respect to, let’s say a rich Christian Aramean merchant ... which sounds quite improbable.

As the complexity of the Sasanian state grew, the number of professional bureaucrats grew accordingly. Although they never formed an estate according to the archaic class system of Zoroastrian law, bureaucrats belonged to an “informal” social class of scribes (dibīrān). It’s perhaps symptomatic of the deep conservatism of Iranian society that it still needed a class os scribes when professional scribes had all but disappeared from other settled cultures both to the east and west of the Iranian plateau. This was due to the archaic writing system that was employed in Arsacid and Sasanian times: the Pahlavi scripts which were used to write the Parthian and Middle Persian languages.

The Pahlavi script is first attested in coins issued by king Aršak I, the founder of the Arsacid dynasty. The word for “Parthian” in the Parthian language is “Pahlavi”, and hence the name with which these scripts are known. It’s a script derived from the imperial Aramaic script which was a modification of the Aramaic alphabet used under the Achaemenids to write down the several Iranian languages (of which the best attested under the Achaemenids is Old Persian). The main types of Pahlavi scripts are:
  • Inscriptional Parthian, used by the arsacid kings in their monumental inscriptions.
  • Inscriptional Pahlavi, used by the Sasanian kings in their great rock inscriptions like the ŠKZ.
  • Psalter Pahlavi, whose name is derived from the so-called "Pahlavi Psalter", a VI-VII century CE translation of a Syriac book of psalms; its use was peculiar to the Nestorian Church of the East which flourished across the Sasanian empire under Sasanian rule.
  • Book Pahlavi, which was the most common form of the script and the one which is better known, as all the surviving Zoroastrian religious literature that has survived in Middle Persian was written using this script, which was kept in use by the Zoroastrian clergy well after the Islamization of the Iranian plateau.
It’s a common mistake to refer to the language spoken by the Sasanian kings which became the official language of the Sasanian empire as “Pahlavi”. The correct name for the language is Middle Persian (Pārsīg), the use of the term “Pahlavi” to refer to it was a development of the early medieval era, when “Pahlavi” became the term to refer to the older form of Persian to which the remaining Zoroastrians still clung to, in opposition to the new language “Farsi” (known in linguistics as New Persian). The most distinctive trait of Pahlavi scripts is that, although they were originally based on an alphabetical writing system, they were not alphabetical scripts.

Pahlavi_Psalter_01.png

A folio of the Pahlavi Psalter.

The most puzzling characteristic of Pahlavi scripts was the use of logograms (known as huzvārishn in Middle Persian): many common words, including even pronouns, particles, numerals, and auxiliaries, were spelled according to their Aramaic equivalents, but were to be read as Iranian words, which sounded completely different to their Aramaic counterparts. For example, the word for "dog" was written as ⟨KLBʼ⟩ (Aramaic kalbā) but pronounced sag (the Persian word for “dog”); and the word for "bread" would be written as Aramaic ⟨LḤMʼ⟩ (laḥmā) but understood as the sign for Persian nān (notice also how, following the custom of Semitic alphabets, the system included no vowels). And the “fun” did not end here: a logogram could also be followed by letters expressing parts of the Persian word phonetically, for example ⟨ʼB-tr⟩ for pitar "father". Grammatical endings were usually also written phonetically (but as in Persian, not as in Aramaic). A logogram did not necessarily originate from the lexical form of the word in Aramaic, it could also come from a declined or conjugated Aramaic form. For example, "you" (singular) was spelt ⟨LK⟩ (Aramaic "to you", including the preposition l-). A word could be written phonetically even when a logogram for it existed (pitar could be ⟨ʼB-tr⟩ or ⟨pytr⟩), but logograms were nevertheless used very frequently in texts.

Ashem_Vohu.jpg

This is the oldest surviving manuscript of a sacred Zoroastrian text. containing the Ashem Vohu, a part of the Yasna. It's dated to the X century and it was found in Dunhuang in Xinjiang, it's written in the Sogdian language using the Avestan script.

The convergence in form of many of the characters of Book Pahlavi causes a high degree of ambiguity in most Pahlavi writing which can only be solved by the context. Some mergers are restricted to particular groups of words or individual spellings. Further ambiguity is added by the fact that even outside of ligatures, the boundaries between letters are not clear, and many letters look identical to combinations of other letters. As an example, one may take the fact that the name of God, Ohrmazd, could equally be read (and, in Pārs, often was read) Anhoma. The system was so open to confusion that when the priests finally decided to write the Avesta down, they developed a specifically unambiguous fully alphabetical system for it, the Avestan alphabet. The insistence of the peoples of the Iranian plateau in keeping this cumbersome and complex script is puzzling considering that their eastern and western neighbors, as well as some communities within the empire used alphabetic scripts: Sogdian and Bactrian (both Iranian languages), Sanskrit, Aramaic (main language in Mesopotamia and Khuzestan), Arabic, Armenian, Greek and Latin all used alphabetical scripts.

The complexity of Book Pahlavi and the great number of languages that were spoken within the vast Sasanian empire made scribes indispensable for Sasanian kings. They performed a variety of functions and needed to have several skills. Some scribes accompanied the Sasanian army and were in its service (dibīr-spāh and gund-dibīr) while other scribes were in the employment of the local provincial kings. Royal scribes were also responsible for ordering the writing of the imperial inscriptions, and then written drafts were translated into Greek, Arabic, Sanskrit and other languages. Some had to be bilingual for translating and writing in other languages and probably some were drawn from Rome, Arabia and other regions. The scribes have left us seals which demonstrate their rank and the region they covered, from simple dibīr to the chief scribe (dibīrbed). At schools (dibīrstān), the dibīrān were expected to be able to learn different forms of handwriting, such as calligraphic script (xūb-nibēg), shorthand script (rag-nibēg), subtle knowledge (bārīk-dānišn), and to develop nimble fingers (kāmgār-angust). Apparently they were expected to have knowledge of different scripts employed for writing which included the religious script (dēn-dibīrīh), that is., the Avestan script which was invented in the Sasanian period (which was not a Pahlavi script) and a “comprehensive script” (wīš-dibīrīh) whose nature and function is unclear. Islamic sources state that it was used for physiognomy, divination and other "unorthodox" purposes. A third script, known as turned or cursive script (gaštag-dibīrīh) was used for recording contracts and other legal documents, medicine and philosophy; and there even existed a “secret script” (rāz-dibīrīh) was for such affairs as secret correspondence among kings. A sixth script was used for letters (nāmag-dibīrīh), and the seventh was the common script (hām-dibīrīh). The dibīrān were to draft letters (nāmag) and correspondence (frawardag) and a specimen of a manual of style about the manner in which one should write for different purposes and occasions has survived to our days.

The ranks of the dibīrān included also the accountants (āmār-dibīrān) who used a specific script known as šahr-āmār-dibīrīh. The court accountant (kadag-āmār-dibīr) used the kadag-āmār-dibīrīh, the treasury accountants (ganj-āmār-dibīrān) used the ganj-āmār-dibīrīh script, and the accountant of the royal stables (āxwar-āmār-dibīr) used the (āxwar-āmār-dibīrīh) script. There were also accountants employed by the fire-temples, (ātaxšān-āmār-dibīrān) who used the ātaxšān-āmār-dibīrīh script. The accountants of the pious foundations (ruwānagān-āmār-dibīrān) used the ruwānagān-dibīrīh script. Royal tax collectors sent to the provinces of the empire were known as šahr-dibīr. Judicial decisions were written down by legal scribes (dād-dibīrān) who used the dād-dibīrīh script. Documents or contracts drawn up by these scribes in relation to legal matters were taken from a known legal phraseology and then signed with wax and seal (gil ud nāmag), and copies were kept in separate archives (nāmag-miyān). They also had to keep a record of the minutes in tribunals of inquiry. These legal scribes were probably drawn from the clergy as they had to deal with Zoroastrian law. There were several kinds of contracts and documents which included royal decrees (dibīpādixšāykard), treaties (pādixšīr), certificates of divorce (hilišn-nāmag), manumission certificates (āzād-nāmag), and title deeds for the transfer of property for pious purposes (pādixšīr), ordeal warrants (uzdād-nāmag) as well as an ordeal document (yazišn-nāmag) drawn up for the guilty. In relation to the holy scripture, the copiers of the scripture (dēn-dibīrān) used the dēn-dibīrīh to write down sacred texts (including the Avesta). The head of the scribes like any other profession held the title with the suffix “master” (-bed), thus dibīrbed. The scribes had an increasingly important presence in the Sasanian court across its 400-year history and with the coming of the Arabs, they were to stay and render their services to the Caliphate.

What one can surmise from this overly complicated (and probably incomplete) list (which I’ve extracted from Touraj Daryaee’s book Sasanian Persia: The Rise and Fall of an Empire) is that although Sasanian society was highly bureaucratized and made ample use of written texts, the writing system of Middle Persian was, by its very nature, reserved for the use of a handful of professional scribes who only complicated matters further by multiplying the variants of script in use. Still today scholars have troubles trying to read many Pahlavi texts, and the rendition of Middle Persian words into Latin script is notably inconsistent (Shapur, Shapuhr, Šābuhr, Šāpuhr, etc.) mainly because scholars can’t agree about the exact reading and pronunciation of many words. The result of this was that literacy only became relatively commonplace among merchants and artisans in the cities but not in Pahlavi script, but in Aramaic, Sogdian, Manichean, and other alphabetic scripts that were much easier to master.

Last edited:
Wow...

Given all that it's practically a miracle the Sassanians ever got anything done. It's more complex than the EU!