• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wonder where are we going to use those Mountain Divisions...

In the Caucausus Mountains, perhaps? :D

Your AAR literally has me checking the calendar and is the only reason why I'm remotely exited the weekend is over!

AAR related comment:

It seems the Soviets (just like the Allies were before the armistice) are seeing North Scandinavia as a 'second-tier' front.

Perhaps an investment in infrastructure, well-placed forts and airbases could lead to a significant advantage once the Reds do decide to come into direct sight!

Romania's gonna fall. DOOM.

For new readers:
- Japan never joined the Axis
- France invaded and captured Italy
- Hitler and Mussolini are dead
- Sweden joined the Allies
- The remaining Axis nations have signed a temporary armistice with the Allies
- Soviet union is at war with the Axis, as well as the Allies

12 - 19 February '41 - Soviet Union invades Norway

"Alta has been breached."

- General Auchinleck, February. 1941 -

Intro.jpg

0X.jpg

(London)
We did not believe the Soviets would be able to mount an assault this quickly. It's bloody February! In Murmansk! The war cabinet is worried. The cold weather, and the current political situation means we cannot brutally trench war our way out of this one, old chap. Ironside and Gort have put forth the possible evacuation of Scandinavia, codename Operation Bone. If the Reds can so easily breach a hole in our defences in the mids of winter, it does not bode well for us in the future.

THE SECOND BATTLE OF ALTA:
Alta.jpg
It started on 05:00 15th February, as 9 divisions of well equipped, well trained Soviet soldiers attacked Alta. In a clever mix of cavalry and supporting infantry they rendered our Canadian motorised division useless. The Norwegians fought better than us chap, we simply don't know what we're doing. Auchinleck, fearing encirclement, called for a general retreat.

RETREAT:
Retreat.jpg
The Canadians were the first to reach Narvik. And by the time the rest of the army catches up we should be ready to counter-attack. The Auchinleck line now hangs in a thin thread. In one large swoop North Sweden could be flanked and cut off by the Reds. In the winter things take time, and the Soviets have been fast, but not that fast. We control the sea ways, supply lines, and we are currently moving large reinforcements to Norway.

RCAF REINFORCED:
RCAF.jpg
Also the brave Royal Canadian Air Force in Narvik were reinforced by the Second RCAF wing. This means we should have the adequate means to provide air cover in the North from Soviet bombing raids.

THE AERIAL BATTLE OF AALAND:
Aaland.jpg
Speaking of which. For 2 weeks we have bombed the living daylight out of the Soviet occupied Finnish island group of Aaland. A few days ago the Soviets got well tired of it and ambushed Coningham's bomber wing with a large force of 800 fighter planes. What they did not know was that Portal and Dowding had moved RAF 1st fighter command to Stockholm and were ready to respond within minutes. 142 Soviet planes were shot down that day. We lost 42 fighter planes and 54 bombers, but the Russians now know we have not come to play ball.

STOCKHOLM REINFORCED BY FRANCE:
French.jpg
The current political stability of the Allies might be a tad bit worrisome. This is why it was such a relief to hear France would send forces to Scandinavia to back us up. currently, only a HQ command has made the trip to help us better organise the defence of Stockholm. But it is a important symbolic gesture. France is still in this war!

3 MOUNTAINEER DIVISIONS FOR NORWAY:
Mountain.jpg
As we speak, armoured trains filled with the best the British empire has to offer are en route to Narvik. This week 3 divisions of trained Mountaineers boarded the Auxiliary fleet to Stavanger. With 2 brand new Anti-Air attachments for our boys in the north. We are ready to fight for the land of a thousand homes. For our Swedish friends. At this blood red dawn.

ROMANIA CRUMBLING:

RomaniaX.jpg
The Eastern front has been bloody for both sides. On one hand the Soviets have been able to plan this attack for over 6 months on the much weaker Germany. On the other hand, with the armistice and the political restructuring, Germany has been able to put vast amounts of soldiers to the Eastfront. Romania however has not been that lucky. The Soviets are chewing her up, and soon will reach the Bulgarian border. Then it's a question of will they stop there? Or press towards Turkey, where the situation is turning ever dire.

Russia is running mad. It has become what we feared Germany would. A wild dog on no leash, turning this widening gyre. Next week our new Aircraft carrier HMS Formidable will be launched, and we are faced with a few questions. Can Scandinavia be saved? What do we build? Where can we hit the Soviets where it hurts the most?

England Expects

End.jpg

Last edited:
The situations seems to be getting sticky, old boy. If we can hold the north, and force the soviets to hold divisions against us, that means it's campaign against Germany will be weaker, ensuring that they are slower and take even more losses. Plus, saving our noble allies will show the powers of the Entente to the world!

And, as they say, it's always darkest before the dawn.

Those mountain divisions should have been in Norway long time ago, sigh... well, never mind.

I can't wait to see what Stalin is getting up to in the Allied Powers' colonies. Hopefully they can use this war to gain their freedom.

Believe it or not, this war is "only" 18 months old... I'm pretty sure Hitler and friends were not expecting it to go this way. Neither the Brits.

Believe it or not, this war is "only" 18 months old... I'm pretty sure Hitler and friends were not expecting it to go this way. Neither the Brits.

Wow. Crazy how much things have changed - and most of the big shifts have been recent too. This war is only speeding up from here - I really expect things to get crazy come Spring when the big offensives can start back up.

Wow. Crazy how much things have changed - and most of the big shifts have been recent too. This war is only speeding up from here - I really expect things to get crazy come Spring when the big offensives can start back up.
1941 will be an even more important year then 1940

MID WEEK Q&A

Just came here to say that this is a truly great AAR. Fantastic job in crafting a believable yet different alternate history.
Thank you, sir! Glad to hear you like it. :)
I would love to see a WW1 AAR following this style, but it could be veeeeeeery slow and frustrating from time to time (just remembering this AAR Western Front gives me the creeps).
I remember this AAR was slow during the phoney war era. But I tried to add interesting political things too. To be honest lately it's felt a bit too much on the military side, but with so much happening every week I can barely keep up with just the battles. I would love to read a weekly AAR on ww1, with an in depth behind the scenes look at the political world.
I found this AAR only last week and could hardly stop reading. It's greatly narrated and such a bloody, weird, frightening, fantastic alternate history - please keep it up!
Oh, thank you! :) I'm glad I'm still attracting new readers, even though this AAWWII world can seem a little heavy and complex at first. I do my best to make it as easy as possible for new readers to jump in. :)
I like the thing you added for new readers, summarizing some of the major events of the war.
Thank you. :) Sometimes these AAR's can get so long and conplicated that it can be a bit daunting to start as a new reader. Working on the quick timeline for 1940, and people of interest too, but things take time.
I catched up yesterday and I'm curious and worried about Britain's future. But alas, we've been through some bad weeks already, and Britannia still stands.
A damned pity that Copenhagen / the Store Belt is now free for the Red Navy...
Britannia rules the North sea, and we have the Swedish Costal fleet patrolling the baltic seas making sure we've covered that side of the store belt too.
Only one question: Why do you combine CVs and BBs? Just for historical flavor or for different reasons? To me it felt at some points that the mighty Man-o-Wars could have annihilated the enemy where the CVs only drove them away...
For historical flavour. Most of our fleets are historically accurate fleets with a few add ons. Some are merged fleets. But I try to keep it as realistic as possible.
I am very glad that Britain wisely decided to halt the bloodshed on the western front! It would have been madness to stay at war with not one, but two great players in Europe, no matter how repulsive their ideology is.
I'm glad for the few weeks we've had of not seeing 30 000, 50 000 Allied casualties on my desk every week.
what is Denmark's status precisely? I understand that they are a buffer zone and neither the Allies nor the Axis can station any troops there. So are they completely neutral and independent? What if the Soviets decided to declare war on them? Whose responsibility would it be to defend the small nation?
Denmark is now an Allied friendly nation, free from British tampering. We even gave them Iceland and Greenland back. It's a good question
Also, British naval operations in the Baltic would make an amazing chapter for this AAR, especially a landing in St. Petersburg!
I would place the odds of a Soviet landing in Denmark around the same as those of us landing in Arkhangelsk - around nil. It would be a fairly ridiculous overextension of their forces, would be hard to land and even harder to keep supplied.
The Russians would have to get past the Royal and Allied navy. And we have almost full naval supremacy of the world. Only Japan and America could threaten it. But if the Soviets invaded Denmark it would be a rather awkward political problem. My guess is Germany would be fine as long as we got rid of their enemy fast as hell. But it does bring us to another problem. We can't be seen fighting a common enemy. Allied soldiers cannot aid the Nazi German soldier in any way, shape, or form. The backlash from the public would topple us. The British soldiers who have lost so many brothers would spit at our shoes.
I think we can do our best to cautiously enjoy this brief respite we've earned. Draw up plans for round two with Germany, replenish our divisions, maybe send some spare men to reinforce our Asian holdings should Japan come knocking.
Yes. We have freed up a fair amount of IC now and we should find a way to use it before the Reds breaks Germany. Also, yes, we've sent a few Commonwealth divisions to Burma.
Now that a cowardly armistice is a done deal, all we can do now is pick up the pieces. The status of Germany's post-1938 gains will have to be dealt with at some point but one day the people of Czechoslovakia will be free again.
At the end of the war, when we will have dealt with the Soviets, we shall do something.
This is predicated on the bizarre idea a lot of y'all have that the Second World War is over now. It isn't. This was an armistice, not a peace, and once we've regained our strength and the Germans have bled themselves dry against the Russians we'll be back for more. We can work out terms for a permanent peace once the Nazis are broken and Berlin burns.
Don't you think it's a bit too early to be discussing a post-war plan? We do have to beat the reds before the krauts.
humbly request that all of us here stop talking about Germany until Moscow falls.
Empires will crumble, millions will die, and the world will be on fire before this war is over. I have no plans of mapping out territorial conquest until my generals have themselves crossed that river and pierced the Union Jack through the heart of the enemy.
I wonder what turkey's politics are like? It might be a good idea to start courting them to the allies side.
Turkey is a pressure cooker. I believe Russia has to take Scandinavia before She can open up another front. But Britain's eyes are on Turkey and Iran.
Hans Lammers looks like a demon, are you sure he was the right choice?
I don't know, he reflects his government quite well.
Who in their right mind would choose him to be the face of a country? No matter what he says, he'll turn Germany into the equivalent of that one creepy uncle who everyone shuns.
Hahahaha!!
1941 will be the year of battle with the Soviets. We need to bring as many materials to Scandinavia and the Middle East to launch our own offensive against the Red Tide.
I fear the Allies do not have any offensive to launch. But I agree. The hammer is about to fall.
I'm in favor of the torch, it would be universal and still have a strong symbolic significance.
Maybe something like this?
Thank you, good sir!
I'm terrified at the loss of three whole French air wings...
Damn French, damn Finnish. Don't put your Air force so close to the front!
What's the status of the Balkans? Any Neutrals, any Nazi/Soviet aligned powers?
Romania's gonna fall. DOOM.
Bulgaria is an interesting one. Wonder what she will do now that an alliance with the Axis seems a bit silly. Romania is about to be crumbled, and I don't think the Russians will stop there.
Your AAR literally has me checking the calendar and is the only reason why I'm remotely exited the weekend is over!
Haha!! Thanks! :) I'm glad you enjoy it. It's always nice to sit down on Sunday and fill everything out.
Perhaps an investment in infrastructure, well-placed forts and airbases could lead to a significant advantage once the Reds do decide to come into direct sight!
Actually this isn't a bad idea for the British sector in Germany. Land fortification would make it problematic for the Russians. How fast can we build a new Maginot line? 2 years? 5?
The situations seems to be getting sticky, old boy. If we can hold the north, and force the soviets to hold divisions against us, that means it's campaign against Germany will be weaker, ensuring that they are slower and take even more losses.
I'm a bit worried. The time for trench war is over. French forces (and British) are not going to hold a province if it costs them 50 000 men to do so. We need to figure out something smart.
Can't those mountaineers be shipped to Narvik directly? It will defenitely help plugging the holes in the north.
Those mountain divisions should have been in Norway long time ago, sigh... well, never mind.
We are shipping them as fast as we can.
Maybe leaving Germany to their fate was a bad idea... I'm starting to think that if the Soviets keep on rolling, they won't even bleed much before they get to France.
You might be right...
I always thought that scandinavia woud have been tough to defend.
Especially in February. There's a lot of bad terrain in Norway that the Soviet union has to cover, but Sweden will be their way in.
How are we going in the Pacific? It's 1941, we must be ready for Japan's attack
We should be looking at forming a new Pacific fleet from the Mediterranean fleet, or from parts of the Fleets in the North. (Or both).
Dammit we failed to hold the line! Hopefully everything else goes better for us in Scandinavia.
Canada has been sublime until now. My hats off.
1941 will be an even more important year then 1940
Spring this year will be an interesting one. I wonder how far Russian can reach before we can strike back. My biggest fear is that by 1942, Scandinavia has fallen, France has fallen, Italy has fallen, and we are fighting a Red war in Africa.

I can't wait to see what Stalin is getting up to in the Allied Powers' colonies. Hopefully they can use this war to gain their freedom.
The Soviets don't really have that level of power projection. This is still "human wave tactic" Soviets, not "send people into space" Soviets.

The Soviets don't really have that level of power projection. This is still "human wave tactic" Soviets, not "send people into space" Soviets.

I'll see whatever tank the Allies have up against the T-34, and wonder how Tommy will enjoy Katyushas.

Also, you don't need that much power projection. Some pro-Russian puppet states in Northern Iran, to influence the Shah? What's Gandhi think of this war, for instance? Is Stalin urging a Quit India movement?

Bulgaria tended to be pretty pro-Russian. If they think it could help them out they could easily be switching sides.

I'll see whatever tank the Allies have up against the T-34, and wonder how Tommy will enjoy Katyushas.

Also, you don't need that much power projection. Some pro-Russian puppet states in Northern Iran, to influence the Shah? What's Gandhi think of this war, for instance? Is Stalin urging a Quit India movement?

Bulgaria tended to be pretty pro-Russian. If they think it could help them out they could easily be switching sides.
Ah, the old "T34 is god" statement
To quote engineers at the Aberdeen proving grounds: "Judging by samples, Russians when producing tanks pay little attention to careful machining or the finishing and technology of small parts and components, which leads to the loss of the advantage what would otherwise accrue from what on the whole are well designed tanks. Despite the advantages of the use of diesel, the good contours of the tanks, thick armor, good and reliable armaments, the successful design of the tracks etc., Russian tanks are significantly inferior to American tanks in their simplicity of driving, manoeuvrability, the strength of firing (reference to muzzle velocity), speed, the reliability of mechanical construction and the ease of keeping them running."