• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a great and unique AAR, and I'll continue to follow it eagerly.
Thank you! Those comments keep me going, :) glad to hear it.
I suppose its reasonable to let RNGesus decide this. Still, this is a bad bad idea.
I really hope you don't lose the decision lottery and find yourself at war with the Soviets.
I can only join the words of my compatriots, a war with Russia is not in the interest of the British Empire and the Western democracies.
Oh, I should almost go to war with Russia every week, look at all these replies I've gotten :D.
But on the serious side; I know a war with Russia was a possibility in 1940's, and that it was taken off the table by Norway and France being invaded with ruthless speed, rather than the allies being smart enough to avoid it. So here we are, on the precipice, although it's only a low 25%, I wouldn't think that shot would hit if i was playing X:COM ;)
It would, at least, delay Barbarossa, possibly drive Stalin into the axis, bring bajillions of extra soldiers against you, and permanently split the anti-fascist powers.
Interesting. Well they don't have a good navy or airpower. If they were to take Norway, then I would be in a better position than if Hitler and his subs did. Although Asia would be a bigger problem.

It's interesting the more I read up on it, why did the OTL allies join Russia and vehemently opposed Germany? Both countries were anti democratically and extremely hostile. Germany took Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland. Russia took Poland, the baltic states, tried to take Finland. Russia was The enemy of the enemy, one that came back to haunt the western allies for decades and decades after the war.

Britain was also kind of obliged to declare war on Russia when it invaded Poland. Ambassador Raczyński requested such help from Britain as soon as Soviet Union attacked, and Halifax declined without any meaningful reason. Halifax said, 'As regards Soviet aggression we were free to take our own decision and to decide whether to declare war on the USSR or not.'

May I humbly request further information regarding the German defenses currently in place in Denmark? I am curious if an amphibious landing on Jutland and a rapid advance to Zealand island is currently feasible, without committing too many of the limited resources of the RAF on the eve of a great battle.

ZealandY.jpg
There you go. I have no plans to send my Navy back in towards the baltic sea after the great Ambush at Kattegat. But, yes an amphibious assault on Aalborg could work. If an opening occurs where Germany is committed on the western front and we can divert the Norwegian Expeditionary Force to land on a lightly-to-none defended beach in Denmark (preferably on the north sea side) then we might do so to cause confusion and panic to the German offensive, never with plans on holding it. But as of now this is a defensive war, Britain is in no state able to launch an offensive against a much stronger Germany. But we have fought smart, chaps! The Navy and RAF has brought us victory after victory, Norway has been won with no blood from our lesser army, and any future Atlantic War seem to have been won by our Legendary Dudley Pound decimating the Kriegsmarine.

Reactions:
(I swear I didn't rig this)

13 - 20 March '40 - Britain and France
declare war on the Soviet Union

“Everyone can see how Communism rots the soul of a nation; how it makes it abject and hungry in peace, and proves it base and abominable in war."

- Winston Churchill, 1940 -

United.jpg

London.jpg
Ah, come in. Scotch? Make it yourself like a good chap, will you?
It appears as if the whole world has gone to war. Today marks our first week in war with the Soviet Union. Sit down and I will run you through the briefing.

RAF UPGRADES:
Upgrades.jpg
Because the need for reinforcements have been so low these last 3 weeks it has let us shift our focus more on upgrading and outfitting our RAF units. This is where the heel is pressing, we need those fighters strong and ready to fight the enemy. Come June and the new 4 Interceptors we should have an airforce more than ready to defend our borders.​

THE BLITZ OF PARIS:

parisblitz.jpg
Speaking of which, because of our involvement in Norway, and France's obligation to defend the English Channel, the Germans are on a weekly basis bombing Paris. Now these attacks are very limited in damage, and the Luftwaffe has to cross multiple AA heavy provinces. But, and yes there is a rather large but here. The morale and publicity of this is significant. Massive, dare I say. The French government is calling for our help, saying that these attacks must seize. The general public is up in arms over the fact that Notre-Dame, or worse can be bombed to the ground. Now with the war on the Soviet Union, France is more unstable than she has been for decades.

CAUSE OF WAR:
war.jpg
It was a number of unfortunate events that lead us down this path. The Soviets caught us red handed in shipping large supplies across Alta, aiding Finland in their war. We responded foolishly by accusing them of sending oil to the Germans, and leaking important information regarding the positioning of our ships. Demanding that they retreat all ships from the English Channel, and the North Sea. amongst them the destroyer Tashkent. Yes, the Tashkent (The Tashkent Incident). Things got out of hand. We're not sure who shot first, but the French Airforce and the Soviet Navy off the coast of Dunkirk got into quite the battle.

CHURCHILL'S BBC SPEECH:
Churchill.jpg
Thankfully thinks are looking exceptionally better here. Only a few small riots. The current morale of the people seem to be that of understanding and fear. An understanding of the situation we find ourselves in, and a fear of what might happen if we lose. Churchill capitalised this as he wen't on BBC, broadcasting his speech for the world to hear:​

Churchillspeech.jpg
"I speak to you for the first time as Prime Minister in a solemn hour for the life of our country, of our empire, of our allies, and, above all, of the cause of Freedom. The Cabinet, which met at half-past-twelve yesterday, have authorised an immediate declaration of war upon the Soviet Union. Instructions to this effect were sent to our Ambassador in Moscow, and the Russian chargé d'affaires in London and his staff have been given their passports."
Churchillbomb.jpg
"Meanwhile, hostilities have already begun. The Soviet fleet off the coast of Dover were immediately engaged by the French airforce who were there waiting for them."
Churchillwinter.jpg
"We understand the Russian need to be secure on her western frontiers by the removal of all possibility of German aggression, but we cannot be blind as all of Scandinavia dwells brooding under Nazi and Bolshevik threats. Only Finland-superb, nay, sublime-in the jaws of peril-Finland shows what free men can do. The service rendered by Finland to mankind is magnificent. They have exposed, for all the world to see, the military incapacity of the Red Army and of the Red Air Force. Many illusions about Soviet Russia have been dispelled in these fierce months of fighting in the Arctic Circle."
Churchillcomm.jpg
"Everyone can see how Communism rots the soul of a nation; how it makes it abject and hungry in peace, and proves it base and abominable in war. If the light of freedom which still burns so brightly in the frozen North should be finally quenched, it might well herald a return to the Dark Ages, when every vestige of human progress during two thousand years would be engulfed."
ChurchillhitlerX.jpg
"When we think of the insane ambition and insatiable appetite, which have caused this vast, melancholy extension of the war, we can only feel that Hitler's madness has infected Stalin's mind and that the root of the evil and its branch must be extirpated together."
ChurchillfranceX.jpg
"The British and French peoples have advanced to rescue not only Europe but mankind from the foulest and most soul-destroying tyrannies which have ever darkened and stained the pages of history. Behind them - behind us- behind the Armies and Fleets of Britain and France - gather a group of proud nations and shattered states: the Finns, The Czechs, the Poles, the Norwegians, and the Danes, - upon all of whom the long night of barbarism will descend, unbroken even by a star of hope, unless we conquer, as conquer we must; as conquer we shall."
Churchillrot.jpg
"This is no class war, but a war in which the whole British Empire and Commonwealth of Nations is engaged without distinction of race, creed or party. If Stalin imagines that his attack on Finland will cause the slightest division of aims or slackening of effort in the great Democracies who are resolved in the pursuit of freedom, he is woefully mistaken. On the contrary, we shall be fortified and encouraged in our efforts to rescue mankind from his tyranny. We shall be strengthened and not weakened in determination and in resources."

Another brilliant speech by Winston, and it seemed to have calmed the public down for now. The House of Common is of course in a bloody uproar. But with the opposition on our side, and with the already restructuring of the government there is little they can do but cause a bloody revolution.​

RAF RE-MOBILISATION:
RAFre.jpg
The RAF were issued immediate orders to re-deploy bombing group Norway to Narvik in order to provide some limited support to Finland. Once they've set up operation there, they will start bombing Soviet forces in North Finland. And hopefully claim full air-superiority there.

NAVY RE-MOBILISATION:
Navyre.jpg
The Navy was given similar orders. We have dispatched 3 commands towards Arkhangelsk port in order to engage the Soviet Fleet if spotted, to enact a blockade, and to shore bombard Soviet Ground troops. I expect we will find little resistance in the form of a Soviet Navy.

FRENCH AIRFORCE SINKS THE TASHKENT:
FrancebombersX.jpg
Speaking of which, the Tashkent, along with 4 other destroyers were sunk by the Naval bombers of the French Airforce. Clearing the English Channel of Soviet ships.

BRITAIN IN SOVIET NAVY BATTLE:
Navypound.jpg
The Legendary Admiral Dudley Pound and the Home fleet ambushed the other Soviet destroyer force in the North Sea.​
Navypound2.jpg
The battle was short and decisive: The force of destroyers was swiftly sunk, cementing the declaration of war. This is it, old boy. There's no turning back.

WINTER WAR:

Intro.jpg
The Winter war still rages on, and Finland must be barely hanging on. We have started ramping up the supply lines.
We now also have full insight on the frontline there, from our Finnish brethren. The situation is not good.​
Winterwar2X.jpg
The Soviet have won another battle forcing the Finns out of Sortavala. We know that this has reverted into a trench war. We believe Finland will run out of men and rifles long before the Russians march in on Helsinki.

STRATEGICAL QUESTIONS:
EUROPE:

StrategyeuropeX.jpg
Let's have a look at the major problems pressing on the British Empire at the current moment. What do we do with this new war we have to wage against the soviets? Well the answer is complex.
1. We could fall back to Narvik, and create a bottleneck there with a strong mountaineer corp. AA, Airforce and the Navy. Or we could go in to Finland with all we have and try to make a push for Moscow.
2. Also we should look at the Oil fields of Baku. If we take them, or bomb them enough, we could starve the Russian and German machinery.

ASIA:
Strategyasia.jpg
The Situation in Asia is also rather fragile. The border between India and Russia is separated by a small patch of neutral Afghan territory. The Soviets could invade them in order to run in on a defenceless India. A Schlieffen plan for mid-Asia. It would take them some time to mobilise, but it is a possibility. Also the Empire of Japan is still running amok. They could be used against the Soviets, but we risk alienating the United States in the process.​

PACIFIC:
StrategyPacific.jpg
Australia and New Zealand both have a small amount of garrison units at their disposal. Also, they have a small outdated navy. We have sent China Station to Hong Kong to protect the Pacific waters North of them. But Japan is a concern. They will not take kindly on us patrolling in their waters.

The Russians are weak, chap. They lack any modern equipment of any kind, and they are scattered across a vast area of land. But, they can be a mighty nation still. Millions, upon millions of peasants, and we, we are in no position to fight a two front war, not with the manpower we have. So we will have to be clever about this. Press them where they are weak, leave what we can to the allies, wear them down.​

There's a special place in hell for people who waste good Scotch, drink up chap.
I'll see you back here next week, hopefully with better news.
England Expects
End.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
White Russians head the call. Your nation might be free.

I, the Dragon of Canada shall challenge the Bear of Communism to a fight. After all, their is only one ruler of the North and that is us!

Moscow will be on fire only this time, it won't be the Russians setting it ablaze. ... what? We kinda have a thing for burning capital cities, isn't that right America?

Japan will care only about 'China Incident', since defeat in Khalkin Gol battle resulted in purge of many Japanese general favouring invasion of Siberia. Naval officers are now in charge, thinking that Dutch East Indies and British possesions are easier targets anyway.

As soviet spy Richard Sorge correctly guessed, Japan will attack USSR only if:
  • Moscow was captured
  • the size of the Kwantung Army was three times that of the Soviet Union's Far Eastern forces
  • a civil war had started in Siberia

German response is crucial now, since I doubt 'Murica will unleash it's fury so soon. It's entirely possible that earlier Barbarossa may happen, with so many Soviet forces locked elsewhere, with hope, that British will be open to negoatiations after all. So Sitzkrieg in western front may continue longer. Before Fall Gelb, Hitler was still seriously scared of Great War v2.0, same indecisive two-front meat grinder.

Are Stalin and Hitler allied?

This is a war between freedom and totalitarianism, between openness and prejudice, be it race based or class based, between rule of law and rule of fear. This is a war that we must not lose. Western civilization depends on it.

The House of Common is of course in a bloody uproar. But with the opposition on our side, and with the already restructuring of the government there is little they can do but cause a bloody revolution.​
You say that is if bloody revolution would be a bad thing... ;)
Well, this makes things a lot more interesting- I wonder if this will embolden Hitler to end the Phoney War and start his attack on France. The idea of an alliance with Japan is an interesting one, reactionary empires should stick together!

Personally The United Kingdom should not ally with Japan for one simple purpose. It ruined them after OTL when they lost the war or when it turned against them since the Empire made them think that the Emperor was basically a god and when you put all your faith into a cause declared by your religion and the empire, your break. Luckily for them they broke in the right way and became a better nation, if they broke the wrong way then, well, there might not be a Japanese royals today.

Well crap.
yeah.....
Moscow will be on fire
Not sure if we have the strength to push towards Moscow through Finland. Anyone want to chime in with a good strategy be my guest.
Are Stalin and Hitler allied?
No, not at this time.
This is a war between freedom and totalitarianism,
Yes! I have a secret fantasy that we beat Germany, Soviet Union, Italy, and Japan. That we let India have her independence and usher in a new era of freedom and peace for all men! *gets off pedestal*
The idea of an alliance with Japan is an interesting one
An alliance with Japan would also, en effect, force you to cede to them control over China: a tough sell
Naval officers are now in charge, thinking that Dutch East Indies and British possesions are easier targets anyway.
Yes, I did look at Japan as a possibility, but as pointed out they're not too happy to have another go at the Russians. Maybe they'll change their minds now that Britain and France is at war with them. But I reckon it would take Germany to Invade Russia before they would consider attacking.
Also a very important point to bring up is that we had good relations with Japan, one that we severed to have a great relationship with their "enemies", the USA. It is of great importance that we maintain our good standings with the US, as they'll join our side sooner or later.

The diplomatic landscape of our 1940 is a mess:
Map.jpg

(hostile does not mean we're at war, friendly does not mean we're allied)
Personally The United Kingdom should not ally with Japan
No, I think we could look at a way to agitate a new Soviet-japanese war witout allying ourselves. any idea on how we do that?
You say that is if bloody revolution would be a bad thing... ;)
haha! that is treacherous, good sir!
I wonder if this will embolden Hitler to end the Phoney War and start his attack on France.
Sitzkrieg in western front may continue longer.
Hehe, well this is pretty interesting. Looks like with our point of divergence so far behind us now anything can happen.

Here's some things i'll leave you guys to think about.

- Finland is now our allies, meaning we are technically involved in land battles now. and the Norwegian border is only a few provinces away from the front line. I've decided not to MC Finland. But I don't think the "go back to de-facto borders" event will trigger with us being allied. that would mean the Russians will continue grinding Finland down to dust, until they eventually reach Norway.
- I won't be covering it, but during the next week's gameplay the event "The Great Patriotic War" happened to Russia.
- will be on Easter vacation, so the sunday post will be a little bit amputated. Still exciting though, just a little bit shorter.
- As of now we do NOT have a game plan on how to fight this war. we are only responding to our enemies. anyone have a good 1940 war strategy? come forth my generals!

Last edited:
It would seem the immediate issues at hand are in order of priority:

1) Preventing the inevitable German push through the Low Countries into France from succeeding, ideally we should aim to blunt the offensive in Belgium. The reasons for this are political, economic, and military. On the world stage we will stand in a much better light if we manage to save at least part of the Low Countries rather than simply throwing them to the wolves. Economically we will protect French territory, including the vital North-East industrial areas, and also insure further Belgian participation in the war, whilst simultaneously denying Belgian industry to the Germans. Militarily, we may add the Belgian army to our available forces, and prevent the Germans from gaining channel bases for their U-boats. We will also gain additional fall-back room if retreat is necessary.

2) Reinforcing the Finnish Front. As Finland are now our allies it would seem inconceivable to abandon them. We must make at least some attempt to maintain them against the Soviet Union. However, a note of caution; the resources of the USSR, whilst inefficiently applied, are huge. Norway should remain defensible due to the excellent terrain, poor infrastructure, and narrow frontage of attack, but Finland itself may prove indefensible. We might also attempt to bring Sweden into the war on our side. Provided German forces could be stymied in the South, we could then commit additional forces to the Finnish Front.

3) The continuation of the strategic war effort against both Germany and the USSR. Naval dominance, commerce destruction, and strategic bombardment of the enemy means to wage war would seem prudent. We now face the combined might of not one but two Great Powers, if we do not erode their ability to wage war, we may quickly find ourselves outmatched.

4) The Americans. This is, quite frankly, priority one, but will take some time. Without their aid, we are at a serious industrial and insurmountable manpower disadvantage.

5) The issue in the Middle East is Turkey. Turkish entry to the war may be beneficial, particularly if we can stitch together an alliance of Balkan powers (Yugoslavia, Greece, and Romania). However, if we cannot do so then Turkish entry may open another front against the USSR which we can simply not maintain. I feel it best that make all attempt to ensure Turkish neutrality as a shield against Communism until such time as we can maintain a sizable Balkan/Middle East investment.

6) The Pacific should be a quiet theater for now. I see little way for the USSR to mount a significant strike, given the balance of naval forces and the distance of targets from the Soviet heartland. That being said, Papua New Guinea, Borneo, and Singapore should be reinforced with whatever troops are on hand locally. Hong Kong is likely indefensible, and the garrison drawn down as far as possible. A push through Afghanistan is also somewhat infeasible due to terrain/logistics, but covering forces from the Indian Army should be mobilised with all due haste.

I know that in real life the HMS Tally-Ho was a submarine but you need to build a battleship called that. The Germans and Soviets will not handle the sheer awesomeness of its name.

Do mate. I know you want to.

I wonder if the allies declaration on the Soviet Union will strength or weaken the NAP between it and Germany. They have a commond enemy now so Stalin(who historically was blind sided anyway by Hitler's invasion) might decide its worth pulling vast numbers of troops from border garrisons and move them up north to completely overwhelm the Finns and take them out before the Allies can properly reinforce.

Never has so much depended on a border so narrow!

20 - 27 March '40 - The battle of Finland

"All our work must be immediately reorganised on a war footing, everything must be subordinated to the interests of the front and the task of organising the destruction of the enemy. The peoples of the Soviet Union now see that British imperialism is untamable in its savage fury and hatred of our native country, which has ensured all its working people labour in freedom and prosperity. The peoples of the Soviet Union must rise against the enemy and defend their rights and their land.

Comrades, our forces are numberless. The overweening enemy will soon learn this to his cost.."

- Joseph Stalin, March 1940 -

Intro.jpg

London.jpg
Good afternoon, chap. Welcome back to the office. I'm afraid this briefing will be rather short as I have other errands I must attend to. Grand things are taking place, old boy, and I suspect the world will never be the same again.

MORE INFANTRY FROM CANADA:
Canada.jpg
Great news from our Canadian brothers across the pond. 2 Infantry divisions, and 1 Fighter wing now stands ready to be deployed in our theater of war. We have dispatched one of our 2 auxiliary fleets to cross the Atlantic to Halifax and transport the troops back to Dunkirk, France. They should be there early April, and Back here in before 12. April.

CANADIAN AIR FORCE DEPLOYED TO NARVIK:
Canadaair.jpg
The Royal Canadian Air Force could be deployed with greater speed and is now currently stationed in Narvik to enforce air-supremacy.

NAVY BATTLE:
Heligoland.jpg
The Royal Navy has been busy trying to mop up enemy forces in the North Sea. Channel Force engaged a smaller Soviet destroyer fleet this week, but Old HMS Courageous only managed to sink one destroyer. Still better than the other ships out there though. Who would have thought such an old ship would be our pride and glory. Captain W.T Makeig-Jones deserves a bloody medal.​

PARIS BLITZ CONTINUES:
Paris.jpg
On the French front Paris has still been regularly bombed this week. Along with the declaration of war against the Soviet Union, the French have been dealing with tremendous pressure within. The French are not as rational and pragmatic as we are, old boy. There are communist friendly forces at work as we speak, attempting to destroy everything we have worked for.

THE BATTLE OF THE ENGLISH CHANNEL:
Luftwaffe2.jpg
Altough they are our restless allies, they have shown incredible courage and tenacity in the war. Only rivaled by the Finnish army. The Battle of the Channel is still being waged, and Every week they loose men and aircrafts to the relentless assault of the Luftwaffe. France lost 30 fighter planes this week.

RAF BOMBERS HIT THE SOVIET UNION:
Bombingrun.jpg
In an effort to alleviate our Finnish brothers we ordered our RAF bombing group in Narvik to bomb Soviet troops engaged in battle in north Finland. In an effort to disrupt the organisational abilities of the Soviet divisions. Intelligence reports indicated that the Soviet Union would not be able to threaten our modern air force. They were wrong.

THE AIR BATTLE OF PETSAMO:
Airbattel1.jpg
On their way back from the routine bombing run. RAF bomber group Norway was ambushed by a massive force of 800 Soviet aircrafts. Another God damn RAF disaster!
Airbattel2.jpg
88 Bombers shot down! What the hell are we doing here? Is the Royal Air force worth anything?? Are the commanders donkeys? We were supposed to be fighting peasants in aircrafts dating back to the Great War. Where in Pete's sakes did they muster up 800 mobilised bomber planes ready to fight? Someone should be fired!

Give me a second here, chap. Get me a glass of Scotch while you're at it.​

SUBMARINES IN THE PACIFIC:
Submarines.jpg
Right! We have been looking for ways to open up the Pacific theater to deliver a powerful blow against the Reds. The Royal Navy sent a small force of 10 Submarines on scouting assignment in the waters north of Japan. Hopefully they will remain undetected by both them and Soviet Navy.

MOVEMENT AT THE MAGINOT LINE:
Maginot.jpg
Back at the French front things are slowly but surely building towards a grand climax. More forces have been reinforced by both sides, and intelligence reports are telling us the Germans are mobilising massive numbers of units at the moment.

I trust you can find you way out, old boy. I have pressing matters to attend to, as this war is getting hotter by hour.
England Expects.​

End.jpg

Reactions:
You need some figthers to protect the bombers... and some Tiffies ASAP!!!