• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
empire still rules half of the world directly or indirectly. there should be no way for krauts to defeat british, if this half of the world will be truly united and mobilized as you're doing now :)

just a note again, 150 divisions in western front (yours + French) really seems like absolute minimum to stop Blitzkrieg + 30-50 divisions in reserve there.
but that's just me, i bet there are strategic brainiacs better than me :D

Last edited:
Great AAR, I love the pictures!
Keep it up!
Thanks! I'll be sure to keep it up. :)
I must say that I'm really enjoying this AAR. The detail of each update is great and the quality of writing is superb. :) It injects a sense of pride in being British. :p
Thank you! Yes, weirdly enough some of that pride is rubbing off on me :p. I read a fair amount on the war every week, and I try to get into the day by day life, plus looking up great patriotic english literature and culture. It's all pretty exciting. :)
Can't wait for Canadian soldiers to assist you in defeating the Huns.
Well if they fight like they did in the great war the huns should be scared.
if Denmark is invaded and capitulates to the Germans, can we have it after the war's over? Pretty please for our loyalty?
When the war is over Christian X will be the king of Denmark ;). We are in the business of freedom! :cool:
empire still rules half of the world directly or indirectly. there should be no way for krauts to defeat british, if this half of the world will be truly united and mobilized as you're doing now :)
Well there's the eternal problem of casualties causing dissent. And one that isn't THAT well implemented in the game. So I'll keep my own gauge on it. But Britain's government will not survive loosing millions of men on French soil.
just a note again, 150 divisions in western front (yours + French) really seems like absolute minimum to stop Blitzkrieg + 30-50 divisions in reserve there.
but that's just me, i bet there are strategic brainiacs better than me :D
That's what we're hoping to do. :) Not sure right now, but 130 looks to be the minimum of what should be in France before May. But we will not be using Militias, a handful of Indian div (for Burma, and North Africa), Neutral South Africa, and the 8 Div we have assigned for The Norway Campaign.

Finished the next week's session, and let me tell you it's one for the books.
My heart was pounding through my chest during parts of it.....

Last edited:
Hello, MacGowen, I've nominated your AAR as AAR of the week! I've really enjoyed reading it so far, and I cannot wait for more!

@silentsam5 Oh, yay!... What does that entail? I read your nomination, thanks for such a thorough feedback. Means a lot. :)

The writer of the AAR of the week needs to nominate the next one, which I found out just a little while ago :). Your AAR really does deserve the attention, it is such an interesting idea. It's a shame you didn't start in September!

The writer of the AAR of the week needs to nominate the next one, which I found out just a little while ago :).
Oh, so is this the AAR of the week or is it nominated for it? and do I need to find the next AAR of the week? I'm still a little confused. :p
Your AAR really does deserve the attention, it is such an interesting idea.
Thank you! Yes, I am always so surprised when I talk to DH players who gawk at the thought of Slow/Below normal speeds. To be honest though I was a bit worried that this AAR was a bit TOO much on the slow side, but after a couple of months I find this game one of the most awarding i've ever played.

Talking to you guys about how to best border up the Western front, knowing full well if I screw it up it will be months and months of preparation down the drain. I find myself more invested in my soldiers.
It's a shame you didn't start in September!
Yeah I agree, I have been entertaining the idea of doing one session that is a full month, that way I would catch up to the current month and day. Watcha guys think?

Last edited:
This is the AAR of the week. Yes you will need to choose the next one. I think the one month idea is fine, though you could just try doing more frequent, week updates until you are caught up, that way they stay as detailed as before. a 1 month update may not feel the same.

Reactions:

2 - 9 November '39 - Soviet Union declares war on Finland

"Tell them we're rather busy."

- Vice-Admiral Cunningham to his second-in-command, reporting back during the Third Battle of Heligoland Bight, 1939 -

Intro.jpg

London.jpg
Welcome back to the office, old boy. Cold outside, eh? take off your coat, sit down, get yourself warm.
What? Yes, yes. We'll get to that part. The Royal Navy, Admiral Pound, The Butcher of Kattegat. All in good time. I'll pour you a glass of Scotch. A great deal of things have happened this week, 8 000 men dead.
It is November 9th and the war has lasted for 70 days.​
Portsmouth.jpg
To start off the Luftwaffe returned early this week to bomb Portsmouth again. It seems like it's their new past time activity. The newly organised RAF under Dowding's is scrambled within hours. Big wing tactics seem to be working well.
Portsmouth2.jpg
With superior fighter power, and AA on the ground we bleed them dry. 48 Bombers shot down. We loose hardly any planes. Our ground forces are pretty much untouched too. Makes you wonder what Jerry is thinking, throwing all that manpower and machinery into the grinder.
Finland.jpg
On November 4 at 3 o' clock, the phone rings at 10 Downing Street, Our ambassador in Russia brings us news that Stalin has started bombing Finland. We've known about this border argument of theirs for a while now. The Soviets does not like having their precious St. Petersburg so close to the finish border. That's fair enough.... What? Oh, right! Leningrad, how silly of me. It's Leningrad. The damn Russians love to change the name of that city. Remember when they changed it to Petrograd during the war because Sankt and Burg sounded too German? Hah! What? Oh, you're too young to remember that. I digress. The Finnish saw some bombardment from the Soviets this week, no doubt Russia is preparing for her troops to move in. And what are we to do? Nothing! Our War Cabinet is still trying to appease the Russians. Hoping that the tide will change. Control and SIS are pushing hard on this, showing reports after reports that the Soviets are moving only out of a motive for defence. Not that it matters much, he's preaching to the choir with Churchill. And Chamberlain and Halifax? They have their plates full with the Germans.
DoverAirbattle.jpg
The French were at it this week. The bombing of the troops in Paris must have really set them off. RAF was scrambled when 8 French wings had made contact with 8 German bombers. A great air battle ensued. When we finally disengage, The huns had lost close to 100 planes. The French responsible for the majority of them. I would jump around the office in joy, was it not for the same loses we were to receive later.
AA.jpg
On the home-front Admiral Chatfield, John Anderson, and Kingsley Wood could at last unveil parts of their grand project. 80% of our new Anti-Aircraft network is finished. The AA will provide air defence coverage for most of the United Kingdom. With the project nearly complete we have freed up a substantial amount of Industrial Capacity for us to use on other pressing matters. The RAF being one of them.
Turbojet.jpg
Oh, this is classified most secret, - Well all our little conversations are - But you are going to like this. Engineer air officer Frank Whittle made a breakthrough this week, moving us closer to a new type of motor. One that should work wonders for our boys in the air. And with the French now helping out, this war can turn in our favour.
Francenavy.jpg
Speaking of which. The French navy engaged more submarines this week, nearly taking down a whole pack of them too. France has been most impressive these last days. Churchill and Admiral Chesterfield suggests moving a strong anti-submarine force to that location in order to help out as this is the 2nd enemy engagement this month to occur there.
WestIndies.jpg
The West Indies force stationed in Bahamas has been recalled to Britain. HMS York, and HMS Berwick are heavy cruisers we can find good use for back home, in our efforts to dominate Jutland and the North Sea, probably within Nore Command. The transport flotilla will be sent to newly promoted Admiral Bruce-Fraser in Dover for our ever-growing Auxiliary Fleets.

Alright, November 7 in the middle of the night our worst fears materialised. The Admiralty is contacted by the smaller Nore Command force saying they are under attack in Heligoland by a superior German fleet. The exact same that destroyed the Reserve Fleet...​
Heligoland.jpg
Led by the Butcher of Kattegat, Admiral Marschall. We have reasons to believe they were attempting to move the fleet to Wilhelmshaven in the dark of the night. And that they simply stumbled upon our smaller fleet.
Heligoland2.jpg

THE THIRD BATTLE OF HELIGOLAND BIGHT

Heligoland2X.jpg
Every fleet nearby are notified and set sail for the battle. What Admiral Marschall does not know is that our tactics of "Big covers small" is still in use. Home fleet is right next door.
Heligoland3.jpg
At the break of dawn Admiral Pound enters the battle, completely surrounding and overpowering Admiral Marschall. Our fleet outnumbers theirs 3:1. Jolly oh, old boy! Finally we have them!
Heligoland4.jpg
German Battlecruiser Gneisenau, Heavy Cruiser Deutschland, and 7 Destroyers sink in the battle. 6000 german sailors lost at sea. Marschall breaks off and heads for Wilhelmshaven's docks.

Admiral Pound's home-fleet sets sail back to Sunderland after loosing 500 sailors, but minimal damage to any ship. But we're not finished, chap. RAF's naval bombers are scrambled. 4 wings take off from Scotland. Channel Force and Norse command are called in for naval support. Here's the problem RAF fighter groups are not. They have been overstretched, and to be frank, they should have been called in to provide air support.​
Heligoland5.jpg
The bombing of the docks goes as planned. German Heavy Cruiser Admiral Scheer sinks in the process. However Luftwaffe scrambles their interceptors, and without defence our naval bombers are sitting ducks. We lose.... 100 planes, 1000 men dead in the naval and air battle combined.
RAF.jpg

Heligoland6.jpg
We are still not done though. As Luftwaffe's interceptors withdraw, Vice-Admiral Cunningham's Channel Force moves in to finish the fleet off. HMS Courageous launch bombers and take down 3 Destroyers. The rest of the German fleet is in disarray and heavily damaged at the docks. Channel Force breaks off attack and heads for homebase in Plymouth
Heligoland7.jpg
Nore Command is heading back to Dover and Home fleet is almost home in Sunderland. Northern Patrol, and Portsmouth Command (with additional submarines) are heading for Heligoland Bay to cover any retreat Admiral Marschall might be inclined to do. Now we must decide. Do we risk attacking again? There's the issue of Germany scrambling their own Naval bombers if they know we are coming. Most of the Home fleet is in full working order, we could leave the ships who aren't to stay in Sunderland and double back for a surprise second attack. But, attacking a fleet at dock is risky at best. decisions, decisions.
Adolf.jpg
If all of that wasn't enough, listen to this turn of events.
Yesterday Hitler escaped a bomb blast in a Munich beer-hall, where he was speaking on the anniversary of the Beer Hall Putsch of 1923. The suspect of the botched assassination is German. That's all we know for now. I told you, chap! Germany is not as strong as it wants us to believe. If we can strike with a couple more good hits, I reckon she will go down like a house of cards!

Well that's all I have for you at this time. next week we will see if we can't arrange a proper parade! Until then, chap. keep warm and remember.
England Expects.

End.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Revenge is so sweet, old chap...

Eat that, Kriegsmarine!

Epic!

Slowly and steadily you're grinding the Kriegsmarine down, vengeance is sweet old boy!

Revenge is so sweet, old chap...

Eat that, Kriegsmarine!
So sweet! When Admiral Dudley Pound finally showed up on that horizon like a god damn hero I was so relieved. pin a medal on his chest!
AAR of the year 2015. :D
Thank you, good sir!
Thank you! The Royal Navy is finally showing its true potential. Just remind me to never, ever, ever send it to the Baltic sea again.
Slowly and steadily you're grinding the Kriegsmarine down, vengeance is sweet old boy!
Hopefully we do not need to worry too much about surface vessels anymore. The U-boats and Luftwaffe's naval bombers however....
The Kriegsmarine is wounded and now would probably be a good time to end the problem, as long as losses are kept in check.
Followed your advice and went back. It will be in the next AAR post....

Couple of things that might be a bit wonky. I did a full month to catch up with current time (should be a one-time thing). So the next AAR will be set in 20 december 1939 and comes out 20 december 2015, and i'll try to keep it that way for obvious reasons.
Also the AAR after that (27 december) might be a day or two delayed because of Christmas time.
Don't worry though, we're still doing this.

Last edited:
9 November - 20 December '39 - Catching up

"We are in a very different position from that we were in ten weeks ago. We are far stronger than we were ten weeks ago, we are far better prepared to endure the worst malice of Hitler and his Huns than we were at the beginning of September."

- Winston Churchill, 1939 -

Xmas2.jpg

London.jpg
Merry Christmas, old boy! So glad to see you! Come in, come in. Bloody cold outside, snow up to the nose! How long has it been? Over a month, surely. Yes, yes, my office is a mess as ever. How was your vacation? You and the missus enjoy Manchester? Bloody awful city if you ask me, but if one has family matters to attend to I guess one must go.

Back in London the war has chugged along at its well felt pace. I won't bore you too much with the details of every day matter, so I'll just give you the brief overview on what we are dealing with.

A PARADE FOR THE NAVY
Homefleet.jpg
Too bad you missed it, chap. Everyone was there welcoming the Home Fleet back as heroes. They had been sent on a return attack on the ports of Wilhelmshaven. Unfortunately, sly Admiral Marschall had disappeared in the night with his fleet. We did attack a smaller force, but no ships sunk. When the Home Fleet returned to Britain we held a big parade. Churchill was there, Chamberlain. Music, uniforms, the works. And the crowd was so happy, so proud. Finally a bright hour in the war, something for the boys to remember in the darker nights to come.
Parade.jpg

NoreCommand.jpg
This last month saw a proper reinforcing of Nore Command. After the attack at Heligoland Bight, it was important for us to punch it up a couple of levels. Now it's a true force to be reckoned with. It's object is anti-submarine duties in the Jutland areas. But mainly we have placed it there to plug the path to and from the Baltic Sea. If the Kriegsmarine is to make a move again they will have to go through Nore Command - Backed up by Home Fleet always close by. Listen to this. HMS Valiant straight off her refitting, HMS York, and HMS London, from the West Indies force. HMS Carlisle from the Reserve Fleet - HMS Curlew is still being repaired and will probably not see combat in a long time. backed up by 25 destroyers. Now all serving in the Nore Command. Rule, Britannia, Rule.

CHURCHILL'S SPEECH
Churchill.jpg
In late November, Churchill had his second speech on BBC. The first few months of the war, the Ambush at Kattegat, and the revenge in Heligoland Bight were addressed. Also the need for a common focus, to see this thing through. A most marvelous of speeches. What would we ever do without our dear Winston?

Belgium.jpg
"I will say without a doubt that the fate of Holland and Belgium like that of Poland, Czechoslovakia and Austria, will be decided by the victory of the British Empire and the French Republic. If we are conquered all will be enslaved and the United States will be left single handed to guard the rights of men."
Hitler.jpg
"As the Nazis look out tonight from their blatant, clattering panoplied Germany, they cannot find one single friendly eye in the whole circumference of the globe - not one. The whole world is against Hitler and Hitlerism."
Indian.jpg
"Men of every race and climb feel that this monstrous apparition stands between them and the forward move which is their due and to which the age and time are ripe."
Together.jpg
"It may well be that the final extinction of a baleful domination will pave the way to a broader solidarity of all the men in all the lands than we could ever have planned if we had not marched together through the fire."

FRANCE
France.jpg
Speaking of which, on our march to Lille we lost 2000 men. I know! I know! It should not have happened but we were caught by Luftwaffe bombers in an area without AA. British Raj lost 1000 and Britain the rest. France herself has had to withstand some rather uncomfortable bombings, but not as severe as the once we saw. The troops have finally arrived at Lille, all of the Commonwealth forces save New Zealand and Australia. Luftwaffe won't dare to attack us here as we are guarded by AA, and the RAF. Now we must sit down and do the logistics. Which divisions are to be transported where. All 5 provinces are of grave concern, but the Ardenne - after Control and SIS' strong recommendations - will be our top priority. We should be mobilising from Lille within the next two weeks.

RAF
RAF.jpg
Well, Jerry's been at it again. Portsmouth has been hit several time, France as well, and now Dover, after we sent a militia there for homeland defence. Our air battle's have fared very well after we adopted Sholto-Douglas's Big Wing tactic, under the leadership of Dowding, and with the extra AA courtesy of the War Cabinet's master planners. France has been at the air game too, and dealt a great deal damage on the Huns over the straight of Dover. I told you those devils could fight! As off now... One second, chap, let me get the numbers. Ah, yes. Royal Air Force - Losses - 550 airplanes. 250 of those are bombers. So many boys have laid down their lives to guard this Island. England's best. Luftwaffe Losses - 1331 airplanes, 1000 of those are bombers. Sod them to hell. We are beating them at their own game. RAF has full control of British airspace for the time being.

PRODUCTION
Production.jpg
With the Industrial Capacity freed up after the extensive AA project, we have focused the last month on finishing up the attachments to our troops in France. Those should be finished in February at the latest. Then we focus on equipment, upgrading our older troops there. We also have to be able to help the RAF out. The Luftwaffe has taken appalling numbers of casualties, but Hitler and Goering knows this war can be won in the factories. We are in dire need of an additional 2 interceptor wings in Dover by the summer. Kingsley Wood has been put on the case.

AFRICA
Middleeast.jpg
Not much to say on the matters of Africa. Italy again restated her neutrality and we are confident she has few viable invasion options as long as France and Britain remain strong and resolute. We've had to deploy several div. In the Middle East on partisan duty to calm down the population there. That area is a restless place, chap. I've been there. It's a cross road for the world. A strong presence is required to quell any dissent from the locals.

THE WINTER WAR
Finland.jpg
During these few months of war so many people have died. Just the Polish alone lost almost half a million men. Now the Russians are bashing their heads against Finland. The Finns are standing their ground though. In true Polish and Spartan spirit, they are withstanding the Russian agitators. Both sides are taking heavy loses and we are concerned with how long a smaller Finland can withstand the full might of the unlimited manpower of the Soviet Union. If you ask me it seems like Britain is the only major nation interested in preserving the lives of her young boys. China, Japan, Soviet, and Germany are throwing their's head first into the meat-grinder. Germany has lost 45 000 men. No, chap, no exaggeration needed! After all those bombing runs, the Heligoland Bight, the French and us giving them a proper licking, the death toll is starting to rise.​

THE DEATH OF THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS
Nations.jpg
Ah, the League.... It was born with the exalted mission of preventing another “Great War,” it proved ineffectual, being unable to protect China from the Japanese invasion or Ethiopia from the Italian one. The League was also useless in reacting to German remilitarisation.

Germany and Japan voluntarily withdrew from the League in 1933, and Italy left in 1937. The true imperial designs of the Soviet Union became apparent when it invaded and occupied eastern Poland, ostensibly with the intention of protecting Russian “blood brothers,” Ukrainians and Byelorussians, who were supposedly menaced by the Poles. Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia were then terrorised into signing “mutual assistance” pacts, primarily one-sided agreements that gave the USSR air and naval bases in those countries. But the invasion of Finland, where no provocation or pact could credibly be adduced to justify the aggression, resulted in worldwide reaction. President Roosevelt, although an “ally” of the USSR, condemned the invasion, causing the Soviets to withdraw from the New York World’s Fair. And finally, the League of Nations, drawing almost its last breath, expelled it. And what a joke it proved to be. Here we are again, on the precipice, nation against nation.

And that's it, old boy. Next week we will look at the China Fleet and the Mediterranean fleet that we sent to Australia to pick up the last soldiers for the great stand in France.
I'm glad to have you back. Stay safe out there, have a merry Christmas with your family,

but remember,
England Expects.

end.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Woa... in just one week the Luftwaffe has lost half the planes the RAF shot during the whole Battle of Britain...

Impressive.

Canada shall destroy Huns in Fire and Blood for His Majesty. You have our support, eh.
Long live The King! On paper Canada's expeditionary force seems to be the best. Come May they will have the opportunity to prove it.
Any particular Canadian commander I should look to put in charge?
Woa... in just one week the Luftwaffe has lost half the planes the RAF shot during the whole Battle of Britain...

Impressive.
Actually those are the numbers thus far in the war. (and last post was a whole month to catch up to match IRL dates with AAR dates) But yes, during 4 months of war the Luftwaffe has lost half of what they were to loose during the IRL Battle of Britain, which seems to have kicked off rather early in this timeline. No Phoney War for us.

Long live The King! On paper Canada's expeditionary force seems to be the best. Come May they will have the opportunity to prove it.
Any particular Canadian commander I should look to put in charge?
I would say Bert M. Hoffmeister since he was highly respected by all Canadian soldiers he was put in charge of.

Anyways, I stand ready to serve Britannia!

You've outdone yourself with this update. Really capital stuff old bean!