• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Many thanks

Re:

I previously ran the expansion on windows xp media without problems.

I recently reformatted my pc with the windows xp media, but now I have a similar problem as the original post.

I did have the Visual Studio 2005 and I believe some kind of C++ redistributable previously. They are not installed now.

I'm going to download the redistributable in post #4. I'm sure it will work.

Thanks for the help.

I have the same problem on my PC :(

Is it really necessary to have old redistributable installed? Could it work with the latest version?

In what way is SP1 for Visual C++ 2005 old? It was released in August 2007, and I can't see that there is a SP2.

Hi,

I was having the same problem, and I was happy to see that there was a solution.
I've downloaded the microsoft file, but when I lauch it nothing happens. The file name (vcredist_x86.exe) sits in the active processes windows when I open the manager. I don't have idea of what is going on. I had this kind of things happening before, but I didnt care too much, but this time is about a game and I want it fixed! :)
Seriously, can someone who's more into computer stuff help me? Thanks!

Ricroma

Where do I extract this information?
C drive?
c:\WINDOWS ?

Ok, redid a few things. Uninstall etc, still doesn't work.

So I went back to post #4 and down loaded the old version restributable runtime 2005

Would you believe the old 2005 service pack works but not the new version from 2008?

Last edited:
I have the same problem - I've tried installing the visual C++ as stated but it's made no difference. I've now uninstalled Vae Victis and seem to have wasted ten euros:mad:

My game crashes whenever I try to install vae victis - it runs fine without the expansion. Can anyone help?? I've tried the fixes suggested but with no luck. Extremely frustrating that I've paid money for something which I can't get to work. Vista has been around long enough now for these problems not to keep occuring surely!!!!!

Can you please start your own fresh thread, with full problem and system information. If the fix in this thread doesn't help you, you have a different problem.

Can you please start your own fresh thread, with full problem and system information. If the fix in this thread doesn't help you, you have a different problem.

Not good enough

Wow - you'd think that after paying money for the download of vae victis from GamerGate it would actually WORK! It seems so many people have issues.

Who would have thought you'd have to trawl the forum for a fix (for which I thank you guys) - which includes an obscure patch from Microsoft.

How can these guys sell the software and have absolutely no instructions as to how to install it properly OR give details on common troubleshooting issues.

You'd have to be a hard core EU Rome fan or you would just not bother buying the software if it is so hard to install. Someone from Paradox should have a talk to those Gamersgate guys who do a poor job of selling their product.

Sorry ... just had to vent after wasting so much time to get the game I paid for to actually run. Luckily I'm hard core.

C++ installs not working... need help.

So, I've already tried installing the Runtime files... tried reinstalling Rome Gold... Still showing the side-by-side error. Running Vista, so tried running as administrator and using winxp compatibility. From reading the other threads/replies, I don't know what else to try. I did see one note about making sure the game installed correctly, but I've tried multiple installs. Then again, I haven't changed much across the installs so I guess it could be installing incorrectly every time? I know this a problem that seems to have been answered, but I just can't seem to make it work. Any new ideas or ways I can double back and check myself? Thanks...