• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brandenburg III

A Smooth Operator
25 Badges
Jun 22, 2007
  • Lead and Gold
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • The Kings Crusade
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
After the terrible failure of the last Yaroslavl AAR, I decided to try again. At first it was a private project just to see if I could do it. I double-checked and to just be sure, there is no way to get military access through Muscovy so I knew I had to come up with a new strategy. You’ll see that strategy in the following post.

Here are my basic rules and goals, assuming I’ll survive long enough to use them:

*Create Russia
*The Black Sea is mine! I want all bordering provinces
*The Caspian Sea is mine! I want all bordering provinces
*Alaska is mine!
*Siberia is mine!
*What else is mine? Make reasonable suggestions.
*Poland is mine!

*I can’t use “Scorched Earth” after I reach ten provinces. I wouldn’t use it normally - these days - but considering my size and position, I don’t have much of a choice.
*This will not be carried into Vicki.
*No Westernization
*For those of you concerned about Ryuku, I’ve been thinking about it and I’ve decided to push forward with it. The Ryuku AAR will begin as soon as MMP2 is released and when this AAR ends.

With that said... let’s hope I don’t die.

Last edited:
I had to restart the scenario about five times to get this result because I was trying out different strategies - and getting annexed. And because I knew there’d be plenty of failures, I didn’t take pics of the first few years but you have my explanation, which is just as good. Okay, not really but its all I have. :)

Within the first few days of the world opening, I moved a slider +1 aristocracy and set my heart on building two cavalry units. War with Tver told me that I cannot win with a 1/2/0 combination. I have to be cavalry heavy in spite of MM’s cavalry-heavy penalty.

In that first day I also looked for an ally. Novgorod: Impossible. Poland: No... Muscovy: Impossible. Will anyone be my friend? Teutonic Order: Maybe... I don’t know what made me ask. Perhaps I was lonely in the big, big world. And the Order accepted. I didn’t know how they’d help but I didn’t want to be without guarantees or allies.

Time was going slow. Like my previous scenario starts, Muscovy guaranteed Tver, I guaranteed Muscovy and the world was harmonious. When my cavalry units were built I looked into DoWing Tver but they were guaranteed by Muscovy. I began sending insults to no avail.

As the years went on, the Order got itself into trouble with Poland and Pommerania and for war taxes alone, I decided to help. We were fighting Poland, Lithuania, Bohemia, Pommerania and the universally awesome Brandenburg. At the start of 1458, Tver took advantage of my most recent insult and declared war. With my cavalry heavy army I successfully beat them back, hired a level 2 fort defense advisor and moved into Tver. Before the year let out Tver was annexed.

Peace with the Pommerania alliance came to me (still at war with Poland/Lithuania) through a white peace although the war in Russia was just starting. Novgorod declared war on Pskov which was guaranteed by Muscovy. Since I had restarted so many times and tried so many strategies, I wondered what I had to do. One strategy I thought of was to DoW Muscovy to get to another country but the only two vulnerable countries were through Lithuania and I couldn’t spare another diplomat.

Once I saw all of Muscovy’s troops head west and no more were visible, I moved into Tver, DoW’d Muscovy and slipped into Moskva. The Order didn’t help but I didn’t expect them to. Yaroslavl* v. Muscovy* and Ryazan.

My capital was suffering its last effects of the scorch and before I left, I scorched Tver too. I also picked up another fort defense advisor, a weak one but it was better than nothing. And the race for the fall of the capitals began as Ryazan was soon in Yaroslavl with 3000 infantry.

As the sieges began ramping up (Ryazan at 88%, myself around 50%) I had an option to buy three new regiments for 75 ducats. I took it if only to slow down the Ryazan siege... I also began taking loans to cover the cost. The three units were able to escape and joined my siege in Moskva by 31 October.

With both our sieges at 100% I was sure Ryazan would occupy my capital first and the 10(roughly) Muscovite regiments in Tver were unsettling. I picked up the peace screen, hoping to separate the vassal status of Ryazan and a few ducats. Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible. Instead I settled for Muscovy removing their core on Tver and 25 ducats. Although Muscovy currently has a core on my capital which is not good.

2.jpg

At this point I began taking pictures.

As the year let out Novgorod ceded Olonets and a few ducats, Ryazan was annexed by Muscovy and I made peace with the Order’s enemies. I took an interest in Novgorod at that point since they were broke in three pieces. If I could steal away Kola, Muscovy would have to march through Novgorod again. But as I received my new diplomat, I discovered they were guaranteed by Sweden and Muscovy and were allied with Poland. I began marching south instead, careful to not step in my own territory.

And in March, I went bankrupt. That’s fine because I still get to keep my regiments and I need them to conquer a country equal my size.

a.jpg

In August I received military access through Lithuania and began marching. I had two choices: Moldavia or Riga.

As 1460 went on the Order escaped a devastating peace by paying Poland 67. And an event shifted me +1 tradition. This is fine since I’m not planning to Westernize anyway.

b.jpg

July 1461 Kazan guaranteed me; five days later Muscovy did the same. I’m not sure why Muscovy did it since they’re the only danger I have.

After looking at Moldavia I discovered they could be more than I could handle (guaranteed by Muscovy.) I turned to Riga and declared war.

c.jpg

In spite of Riga’s one regiment and my six, it was a close fight. I’m sure the bankruptcy had something to do with this. But more importantly, peasants rose up in Tver and now I have no way to get back to fight them.

d.jpg

Still with a money problem, the Sale of Offices event came around I had accepted the deal. Hopefully I can curtail this inflation... more importantly, I can raise my military maintenance.

e.jpg

With my new cash I decided to build a small force to dispel the peasants in Tver until...

f.jpg

And again...

g.jpg

Some good news came in 14 November 1462 when Riga fell. To take the extra war taxes I waited until 1 January 1463 to annex.

Around this time I cleared out my advisor pool and hired a new 3 star stability. I’m going to need that more than anything.

h.jpg

Things only got worse at home though...

i.jpg

That was fast.
You seem to enjoy playing Russians, comrade.

I'm only at a place where I think I'm safe. I'm not out of the 1460's yet so things can still go very, very badly.

As for playing Russia, the region (and Eastern Europe) are my favorite places to read about and research. :cool:

Edit: With that said, if I fail this time I won't do another Yaroslavl AAR. :)

I bet my money and that you're gonna be annexed before 1500. Sorry. Anyway I subscribed!

*What else is mine? Make reasonable suggestions.

The correct answer comes from EU2:
"It all belongs to Mother Russia!" :D

...Okay, sorry, reasonable... Poland sounds like a good one. :cool:

Looks like you've got troubles aplenty, though, just right now. Hopefully you'll find a way to push through them...

Jman47: You may say they’re tough but after being annexed so much, I’d say I’m lucky. Even with the bankruptcy. I guess the point of view depends upon how often one fails.

aldriq: Oh, I know. Now I’m really going to have money problems if I can’t get rid of those rebels somehow.

I didn't re-sign the TO alliance. Now that Poland-Lithuania has declared war on them once, I don’t want to get involved in that again especially now that I have a province in Riga. Besides, I’m really holding out for an alliance with a nation bordering Muscovy. They’re my biggest threat... okay, my only threat. :)

Seelensturm: I thought it was something like that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Enewald: Good to have you along in this one as well.

Nodscouterr:
No worries. Even with the province in Riga there’s still a lot that could go wrong. Big rebels in Riga, Muscovy DoW, Poland DoW. I could even be annexed in as few as a couple of years if my luck really goes sour. But I’ll keep playing until the annexation screen comes up and I’ll be fighting the entire way. Whatever happens, it ought to be a good show. :cool:

Judas Maccabeus: I think you meant, “It all belongs to ubik.” ;) I’ll add Poland to the list.

L Lawliet: I still want it to be tough in the late game if I make it that far. You probably haven’t read my Japan AAR with 1.3 MM, but in that AAR I didn’t westernize at all and was still able to take on Spain, England and France. Plus, as usually happens, a player begins westernization so early and pounds the rest of the world into submission by the end. Since this is MMP I wouldn’t expect to smash the world, but it would make eastward expansion very easy. At least until I got to the Hoards.

gabor: More luck next time? I haven’t been annexed... yet. ;)

Edit:

gabor: oops, misread that one. Thanks! Let's hope I can at least make it to the end of the century.

Last edited:
July 1463 I decided to take a turn from my Ireland project and open myself up to the Jews. Hey, they need somewhere to live and I could use the tax income.

2dh5sh0.jpg

Days later, Tver fell. Is that a sign?

To keep in my tradition and to keep cavalry costs low, I moved a slider +1 aristocracy which resulted in a drop in stability. I’m back at -3 but have no fear because I’m now guaranteed by the other Russia, Novgorod!

6y13de.jpg

And by October Austria and I settled on a white peace, ending the war. As the year let out another Sale of Offices event hit me, I gave MA to the Livonian Order in case rebels rose in Riga and hired a 1 star revolt risk advisor.

28l3r01.jpg

Early January 1464 I gave autonomy to the archbishop of Riga which helped kill a little manpower and tax but aided me in reducing revolt risk among a few other things.

Continuing with the Riga flavor the HRE started getting angry and to my surprise, there isn’t an alternative option to accept the emperor’s demands. Not that I’d accept them anyway but still, I like rejecting him more when I have a choice. ;)

2n7qf7l.jpg

Due to my poor stability and +178 ducats, I hired another stability advisor (1 star) to fill my court. If there were something better I would’ve grabbed him but I’m not complaining. I’m just happy to be alive.

By May the Tver rebels moved to reinforce the rebels already in my capital. What a mess... To solve the mess I declared war on Crimea. This ought to work! By the way, they’re at war with two separate alliances: Moldavia*, Muscovy and Bohemia; OE*, Qara Koyunlu, Khorasan, Transoxiana, Uzbeks, Kazakh, Dulkadir, Kazan and Candar. The latter alliance came about through guarantees on Candar...

1jp3zq.jpg

Ten days later the OE alliance peaced out with Crimea with Crimea paying 6. Great timing...

30 days later Crimea and the Moldavia alliance made peace with Crimea ceding Jedysan to Moldavia and paying 2. I can’t beat Crimea now...

I think its that time again... Let’s play good news/bad news.

Good news: I think my rebel problem is taken care of.

Bad news: It took a Muscovy declaration of war.

Yaroslavl*, Novgorod and Kazan v. Muscovy* and Moldavia. Since I had no chance against Muscovy and didn’t want to interrupt them getting rid of my rebels, I moved south toward Moldavia.

zwf20z.jpg

By late March 1465 I discovered I can’t win against Moldavia due to an insane amount of rebels mixed with their own troops... and not to be forgotten, rebels occupied my capital. Stupid Muscovites. However Muscovy did manage a siege before the start of the new year.

January 1466:

2aj2pkw.jpg

After all my waiting, the rebels finally occupied and moved on from the Moldavian capital. I moved in for the siege and the Moldavian troops didn’t approach. By late October Muscovy occupied my capital and I was ready for peace. I ceded to Muscovy Novgorod’s Luki, Arkhangelsk and Kola. I only had to give up two provinces but I wanted to weaken Novgorod.

xfstmq.jpg

Four days later I signed a white peace with Crimea.

Hehe, giving up someones else provinces is always fun. Bet they're pissed off now.

This happy handling of an ally's land should be a bit more restricted by the game, especially when the ally is not a vassal and is bigger than you :D

Why do you prefer to weaken Novgorod to the benefit of Muscovy? Because they are wealthier and potentially more dangerous if they grow?