• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI3 Writing Contest - Top 5

• Watch out for vegetables... by cocodtim

Votes: 16 7,0%
  • Fall Weiss by demokratickid

Votes: 35 15,3%
  • Doktor Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hun by Llywelyn

Votes: 45 19,7%
  • OUR LADY of SORROWS - The Seven Tragedies of Poland by robw963

Votes: 62 27,1%
  • Here is Europe as the cool empire of P0L4ND!!! by Storm501

Votes: 71 31,0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Llywelyn, as I've said again and again on these boards, it is a rare comedy AAR that can actually amuse me.

Yours was great! :D

A sense of comedic "timing" (the conjunction of the dialogue with the pictures) I'm quite impressed by!

Rensslaer

(p.s. It certainly helps, having seen the movie. What percentage of people on this board have actually seen Dr. Strangelove? It's your duty now to get all the young whippersnappers to go see it before they vote! :p)

(p.s. It certainly helps, having seen the movie. What percentage of people on this board have actually seen Dr. Strangelove? It's your duty now to get all the young whippersnappers to go see it before they vote! :p)

It's my personal opinion that people who have not seen Dr. Strangelove are not actually people to begin with, and hence don't have voting rights.

With so many entries to read ánd to choose between, I wanted an overview. Maybe others would like an overview too. So, here is an

Unofficial index of the entries
***Please read the disclaimer below***

Last update: Friday 31 July 12:21

The overall winner
32: Here is Europe as the cool empire of P0L4ND!!! by Storm501: Mussolini goes after Albanian women and world conquest.

The top five

10: Fall Weiss by demokratickid: A poem about the German invasion of Poland.
28: Watch out for vegetables... by cocodtim: A young girl dreams about vegetables at war.
32: Here is Europe as the cool empire of P0L4ND!!! by Storm501: Mussolini goes after Albanian women and world conquest.
41: Doktor Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hun by Llywelyn: In a Dr. Strangelovian plan Poland wants Germany to invade them.
62: OUR LADY of SORROWS - The Seven Tragedies of Poland by robw963: In seven steps the tragic fate of Poland is described.

Overview of all the entries

1: Hope is not lost... by TombolaG: The Polish military informs us about the German invasion.
2: The year was 1939 by LordSlowpoke: The Polish defences at the brink of the German attack are presented.
3: Dealt by comagoosie: A Polish colonel plays cards during the German invasion.
4: A perfect morning by Nikolai: Two young brothers play in the woods when the Germans advance.
5: "[...] Jetzt wird Bombe mit Bombe vergolten!" by Inner Circle: An analysis of the German threat.
6: It had come to this by Andcus: A young Polish lieutenant over thinks the political situation before he faces battle.
7: Silence by daemonofdecay: A young soldier tries to escape the silence that the war brings him.
8: Begining of Hell: 1939 by JosunUrashima: Ignacy Moscicki listens how his generals describe the breakup of Poland.
9: This is an offer too good to pass up by rocky43: While the Polish prime minister gets messages, people die in the field.
10: Fall Weiss by demokratickid: A poem about the German invasion of Poland.
11: In the Eagle's Nest - A Poland 1939 miniAAR by dublish: The Polish president and his cabinet discuss the invasion in the warroom.
12: Fleeing the inevitable by Van Diemen: Two Polish generals flee HQ while Warsaw is under attack.
13: The Polish Honor by Alojzius Pend.: Poland loses its country, but continues to fight.
14: The Screenplay by TheHyphenated1: A young man shows a screenplay that will change the world.
15: Poland has a destiny by Alistus: Poland prepares for their conquest of Europe.
16: Along the Line by Brandenburg III: A soldier has to face a tank in battle.
17: Paul sat on the front lines of the province of Poznan by longlee: A soldier in the trenches is surprised by the Blitzkrieg.
18: If only they had listened to him by Niker117: Two politicians try to escape the fall of Poland.
19: Ah crap, we're Poland... by notenome2: Smigy, Marie and Mossie face the German invasion with well-fed horses.
20: War will be over by Spring by Beladriel: The Polish marshal Edward faces corrupt politics and a German invasion.
21: SZYMON by Minchandre: A Polish officer sees his soldiers die in battle.
22: The Up-Side Down Flag by IndoEsia45: An Indonesian young man has grown up in Gdansk.
23: Domino Day by Lord_D: Both a Polish farmer and a German soldier lose dear ones.
24: THE BATTLE OF POZNAN by crusaderknight: A German soldier forfills his duty in the battle of Poznan.
25: The beginning Stazi and Klien do Poland - September 1939 by Bobb4: A simple prisoner exchange has gone horrible wrong.
26: The Polish Letter by Slaughts: A Polish farmer writes an American writer about his experiences during the German invasion.
27: Did you get my name? by VinceDN: A man tells a soldier his surprising and horrible name.
28: Watch out for vegetables... by cocodtim: A young girl dreams about vegetables at war.
29: His dreams were falling apart around him by Ciryandor: Jozef Beck sees the mistakes in the Polish defences.
30: Extract From: The First and Last Day by robou: A Polish soldier teaches a German officer a wise lesson.
31: Chicago, Illinois, [former] United States of America by {LD}Firestorm: A journalist interviews a commander about WW2 from 1939 till beyond 1952.
33: RCAF Quebec City, 1994 by trekaddict: A Canadian historian looks back at the Polish victory of Poznan.
34: MODERN TIMES by Copper Nicus: Stalin hears about the German invasion of Poland while watching Modern Times.
35: My little Maksymilian by Monnikje: A Polish woman and her son face the dawn of the Second World War.
36: Matejko had always found the morning in Poznan beautiful by Alexus: A Polish unit tries to defend Poznan.
37: Country of the blind by klappertjes: A Polish general realises he had missed all the signs leading to the war.
38: The Soldiers by The Great Duck: The history leading to the German invasion tears Polish soldiers apart.
39: Uprising by Gunneroid: German soldiers face a Polish uprising.
40: Les Flammes des Ténèbres: Noctis Lucis Caelum by gaiasabre11: The Legionnaire Colonel Erwin Rommel tries to defend against the German invasion.
41: Doktor Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hun by Llywelyn: In a Dr. Strangelovian plan Poland wants Germany to invade them.
42: Twenty years have passed since the Polish State has reincarnated by Radu: Poland faces mighty neighbours.
43: FIRST TO FIGHT by Atlantic Friend: German and Polish soldiers give their personal view on the invasion.
44: A picture is worth a thousand words... by Kaempfer: A Polish soldier and his exhausted comrades try to recover from a bombing attack.
45: Kasprzycki's war by Singleton Mosby: Minister Kasprzycki reads postcards from his son while the Germans invade.
46: Letter From the Front by dag231: A Polish soldier at the front writes to his wife just before the German invasion.
47: The life and death of Herman Weiss by TRP: The German Field Marshall Weiss commands the Polish army in the battle of Poznan.
48: First to Fight, First to Fall by OAM: After Poland refused Germany's modest proposal for Danzig, they prepared for war.
49: I wish it would rain by eleazar: The Polish radio distorts the facts about the German invasion.
50: The Grand Army Of The Poles (GAP) by arya126: Anakin Skywalker aids the Poles in their defence against Germany.
51: Fortunes of war by Vladek: German officers discuss the invasion, Polish ones the defence.
52: yAAR by Vaski: Chamberlain talks with Churchill, Moscicki and de Gaulle about their response to the German invasion.
53: Aces High by Jedrek: A Polish pilot fights in the air against the Germans.
54: Marian Koscialkowski's House by Will Lucky: The Polish cabinet discusses their situation.
55: Pastwatch: The Redemption of Benito Mussolini by Kikaider: A hologram from the future appears to Mussolini to warn him about WW2.
56: An Alternative Reality by Remble: The Polish cabinet looks at a map drawn on a handkerchief and discusses how to stop the Germans.
57: It was a broken man, this Chamberlain by Khalep: In 1940 Chamberlain looks back to the previous warlike year.
58: The University Student by Beamed: A university student returns home before college starts, only to find his family in shock.
59: Falling leaves by Winter War: A German lieutenant general plans the attack on a heavy fortified Polish hill.
60: Memories by CaptRobau: A Polish officer is interrogated by the Soviets and thinks back to the invasion.
61: What I Did On My Holidays by Peter Ebbesen: Hitler tells about his holiday.
62: OUR LADY of SORROWS - The Seven Tragedies of Poland by robw963: In seven steps the tragic fate of Poland is described.
63: “Are we supposed to take the blame?” by Saithis: The Polish officer Janusz faces with his inexperienced platoon the German invasion.

***Disclaimer***
- I couldn't find a title for every entry: in the case I couldn't find a title, I used (a part of) the first sentence of the entry. If you think I made a mistake, please send me a pm: I'll update it as soon as possible.
- I tried to capture the content of each entry in one sentence, making it easier to find that one entry you would like to read but couldn't remember the name or writer of. If you think I did a bad job with one or multiple sentences, please pm me.
- This index is highly unofficial. If any of the contest staff or mods think I shouldn't be doing this, I'll take it down. Please pm me in such a case.
- I put the five winning entries in the posting order, not in the alphabetical order of the author you find in the voting thread. That's because of the way I build up this entire unofficial index. If it should be otherwise, just pm me.

Last edited:
With so many entries to read ánd to choose between, I wanted an overview. Maybe others would like an overview too. So, here is an

Unofficial index of the entries

Thanks a lot, great work! Mind if I quote this in the voting thread on July 6th?

Monnikje said:
28: In the Fuhrer’s bedroom by cocodtim: A young girl dreams about vegetables at war.

:rofl: i was going to propose to change the title to Watch out for vegetables... but In the Fuhrer's bedroom sounds more interesting :p

Excellent work, Monnikje! Thank you

yeah nice job! this will make things so much easier. now when we vote it wont take 20 minutes. lol. evryone noticed how anakin skywalker is about to take over earth right? i suggest we all buy lightsabers in case he comes home as darth vadar in WW3

EDIT:i just posted chapter 2 and will be posting the final and most exciting chapter 2morrow before the deadline. sorry for the shortness but hitler isnt that important anymore anyway. who needs crazed conquerors when you can have star wars jedi and sith? lol

Last edited:
Llywelyn, as I've said again and again on these boards, it is a rare comedy AAR that can actually amuse me.
Yeah, I've seen you say that, although

Yours was great! :D
Obviously, you were just playing hard to get. Regardless, thank you kindly. :)

@Monnikje
That was great. Thank you!

@Mosby
55! Last minute entries ft... uh... wait a minute...

Last edited:
@Mosby
55! Last minute entries ft... uh... wait a minute...

Startled me as well....:wacko: Will we reach 60 in the end?

I like the advertisements in the sigs as well.

+1.

Just to confirm Sun 5th 2400 GMT means, end of Sunday - yes?!?

Yep. Will you be ready in time? ;)

That will be interesting to see yes, as it's certainly easier to read through a few comedy entry than a series of serious ones. Heh, good thing we have some time to read before we have to vote on it though.

Also, yet another rather late entry, this time by me. It was fun writing something like that again.

Well I have a 98% done draft down for Uprising. Its one of my best pieces ever! So go check it out! Its the link in my sig!
(Remember to put me in your fav' five. ;) :p)

just to be totally sure here....can anyone confirm to me that the deadline for submissions is Sunday night at midnight GMT? I'm in the final stages of preparation and i'll feel pretty dumb if the deadline is midnight Saturday night.

just to be totally sure here....can anyone confirm to me that the deadline for submissions is Sunday night at midnight GMT? I'm in the final stages of preparation and i'll feel pretty dumb if the deadline is midnight Saturday night.

As I too am wrapping up my story before submission, I certainly hope we are not too late.. :(