• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MattyG

Attention is love.
15 Badges
Mar 23, 2003
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
Please place here all requests for changes to the cultures of Interregnum or the specific culture of a given province.

Additions, deletions and alterations all considered.

Please be prepared to justify your requests and note that culture can very very tricky to identify.

Note also that the game forces us into making some tough decisions. Take for example Eire. It has five provinces. They all begin with Celtic as a a culture. Let's say that in 1420 Meath province is conquered by Normandy, which rules it for the next 200 years. By this time it has gained it as a core. At some point, the population must accept that it is part of Normandy, just as in RL Cornwall eventually accpeted being part of England/Great Britain. When this happens, what do we do in-game? Do we change Meath to French culture? This would seem inaccurate and possibly offend some people. But we also can't give Celtic culture to Normandy, because then it could conquer the other four and immediately have them as right-culture.

there are quiet a few; will post them when i remeber. also implementing the "one culture/nation" policy would certanlly make such new future events much more relevant.

but obviouslly let's start with some in balkans (regarding transylvania and banat, agceep has scripts already if intreasted for "explanations"):

-"bujak" to romanian(this COULD become "cossacks" as well if owned for a certain time period let's say - due to cossacks scripted history in this mod)
-"dobruja" able to go both greek/romanian
-"banat" switch from/to hungarian/romanian/slavonic(serbian) (and in reverse, whomever owns it). orthodox conversion if owned by romania or serbia, with possible protestant conversion if owned by hungary post reformation.
-"transylvania" from/to hungarian/romanian (revert to from romanian to hungary based on ownership trigger), orthodox conversion if owned by walachia or moldova, with conversion to reformed post reformation if owned by hungary.
-"kosovo" to turkish if owned by order of crescent and wich needs to own macedonia and thrace.no byz existing requierment.
-"ragusa" to/from albanian/slavonic
-"ruthenia" to/from hungary/ruthenian
-"rumelia" changed to slavonic
-"dalmatia" to/from slavonic/hungarian

Last edited:
Really, any "border" provinces - being the border of their cultural area - should have the ability to change to the neighbor culture if they are owned by a large state of the neighbor culture for a long time.

Using the example of Eire - no, because Meath doesn't border any French provinces. (Even the closest provinces across the sea are not French.) But perhaps if Genoa owned a chunk of the south of France, the province closest to the italian ones could change to italian. Or if Normandy (going the other way) owned Alsace and Lorraine for a long time they could become French.

-"bujak" to romanian(this COULD become "cossacks" as well if owned for a certain time period let's say - due to cossacks scripted history in this mod)

Done.

-"dobruja" able to go both greek/romanian

Done.

-"banat" switch from/to hungarian/romanian/slavonic(serbian) (and in reverse, whomever owns it). orthodox conversion if owned by romania or serbia, with possible protestant conversion if owned by hungary post reformation.

Done.
-"transylvania" from/to hungarian/romanian (revert to from romanian to hungary based on ownership trigger), orthodox conversion if owned by walachia or moldova, with conversion to reformed post reformation if owned by hungary.

Done.

-"kosovo" to turkish if owned by order of crescent and wich needs to own macedonia and thrace.no byz existing requierment.

No. That's a RW thing.

-"ragusa" to/from albanian/slavonic

Done.

-"ruthenia" to/from hungary/ruthenian

Done.

-"rumelia" changed to slavonic
Done.

-"dalmatia" to/from slavonic/hungarian

Done.

Bedouin is a strange culture. There seem to be no country that has or can get it as state culture. I propose that since the provinces that has it is scarce in populace, it could be fair to change the culture to Arabic (or other applicable state culture of the owner) once a certain population has been acquired AND if there is a core.
As a non-modder, I do not know whether population is posibble to trigger for.

Should Hinterpommern have an event changing it to Hanseatic Culture at some point if it is under their control?

Stockholm should have it too, if done before the 16th century.

There is already an event for Bedouin provinces to become Arabic in a Caliphate event chain. Once I am done with Britannia (2/3.5 paths to form it done, and some basic post-formation event chains set up), I plan to de-couple the Bedouin events from the Caliphate, allowing their eventual conversion into Arabic regardless (mostly) of who owns them.

Proposal 1: Remove Slavonic culture from Moldova and remove Romanian from Bulgaria.
Reason: Neither owns any provinces of their secondary culture under 1.08. Bulgaria could have the option of gaining Romanian in a (hopefully re-done at some point) Kingdom of Bulgaria event chain.

Proposal 2: Make Malta Sicilian.
Reason: It wouldn't affect Genoa much (Malta is not that rich compared to their other provinces), while it would give Sicily additional impetus to take it from the Genoese. Also, in RW, the Maltese are much closer to Sicilians than to Northern Italians.

Proposal 3: Remove Italian culture from Sicily.
Reason: Sicily has no use for Italian except in Malta - historically (Interregnum history that is) it doesn't have any interests north of Naples. Also, with the rewards of going north overland decreased, it reinforces the idea of a naval Sicily, as opposed to a unite-Italy Sicily which is a tempting option with the current set-up.

Proposal 1: Remove Slavonic culture from Moldova and remove Romanian from Bulgaria.
Reason: Neither owns any provinces of their secondary culture under 1.08. Bulgaria could have the option of gaining Romanian in a (hopefully re-done at some point) Kingdom of Bulgaria event chain.

Seems reasonable. For the next version (next Friday night).

Proposal 2: Make Malta Sicilian.
Reason: It wouldn't affect Genoa much (Malta is not that rich compared to their other provinces), while it would give Sicily additional impetus to take it from the Genoese. Also, in RW, the Maltese are much closer to Sicilians than to Northern Italians.

Excellent proposal, even though I am playing Genoa. Except that Genoa should have an event to eventually gain Sicilian culture or convert Malta to Italian.

Proposal 3: Remove Italian culture from Sicily.
Reason: Sicily has no use for Italian except in Malta - historically (Interregnum history that is) it doesn't have any interests north of Naples. Also, with the rewards of going north overland decreased, it reinforces the idea of a naval Sicily, as opposed to a unite-Italy Sicily which is a tempting option with the current set-up.

This more complicated. They have ruled southern Italy (Kingdom of Naples) for some time and I think removing Italian from them is more dramatic, especially as this is their primary area of grwoth. I realise this is a gaming-oriented consideration, but currently Siciliy is definitely the poor-boy of the 'majors'. If it loses Italian culture, it will need to have a big leg-up somewhere else, as its two other storylines (North Africa and the Levant) are both difficult and occur at the same time, so cannot both be done.

Maybe they get earlier and better explorers?

This more complicated. They have ruled southern Italy (Kingdom of Naples) for some time and I think removing Italian from them is more dramatic, especially as this is their primary area of grwoth. I realise this is a gaming-oriented consideration, but currently Siciliy is definitely the poor-boy of the 'majors'. If it loses Italian culture, it will need to have a big leg-up somewhere else, as its two other storylines (North Africa and the Levant) are both difficult and occur at the same time, so cannot both be done.

Sicily is a major power? hadn't realized ;)
Alternately, they could be a bridge between christianity and islam. If they decide trade is better than war in the modern carthage event, then they could end up as a trading center. Like a free port dealing with muslims and christians very tolerantly. In time they could even gain a new culture in their sicilian provinces, like a mix of sicily and berber. Of course, such a storyline would require a fair number of new events.
Still, I like the idea of a new world bonus for them. They could start out very early, like maybe right after ireland.

Excellent proposal, even though I am playing Genoa. Except that Genoa should have an event to eventually gain Sicilian culture or convert Malta to Italian.

Gaining Sicilian culture is probably too much. On the other hand, converting Malta to Italian later in the game (late 1600s?) if it is still held by Genoa is probably fine. In the early game, having Malta be wrong-cultured can represent the fact that Genoa doesn't truly control the way between the Eastern and Western Mediterranean, with Berber pirates and Sicilian merchants taking a share of the Maltese trade. Once colonization of the new world starts, Mediterranean trade becomes less important and the Barbary pirates are less of an issue, making the conversion of Malta to Italian perfectly acceptable.

The Kingdom of Naples is already Sicilian in culture, so losing Italian will not affect Sicily's starting income. The only overland route of expansion for Sicily is through the Pope, which seems a bit out of character for it.
As it stands, Sicily does lack a lot of interesting event opportunities. Maybe involve them more in the Iberian crusade. Have them focus on recovering old Aragon as a means to control the Western Mediterranean. We do have Catalan culture earmarked but never used, and an Aragon ruled from Sicily fits in nicely with Interregnum's idea of historical losers and winners being flipped.

Yes, my oops on the naples thingy.

he idea for Catalan is great. It was originally in the Genoan file, but it belongs in the Sicilian.

I will also give them an earlier explorer, I think.

Malta should be Sicilian yes. Their cultures are very similar.

It was part of the Kingdom of Sicily until it was given to the Knights and remained so officially until French occupation in 1798. So Sicily should have a core there if it doesn't.

Malta should be Sicilian yes. Their cultures are very similar.

It was part of the Kingdom of Sicily until it was given to the Knights and remained so officially until French occupation in 1798. So Sicily should have a core there if it doesn't.

Good idea.

The idea for Catalan is great. It was originally in the Genoan file, but it belongs in the Sicilian.
This seems like another extremely difficult event series for them. But i guess it's doable.
However, i'm noticing a theme for the sicilian expansion (tunia, levant, catalonia): it's all against muslims. What if you added the alexandria events from the genoa file as well? And eventually sicily could lead a crusade against a muslim maya, perhaps?

This seems like another extremely difficult event series for them. But i guess it's doable.
However, i'm noticing a theme for the sicilian expansion (tunia, levant, catalonia): it's all against muslims. What if you added the alexandria events from the genoa file as well? And eventually sicily could lead a crusade against a muslim maya, perhaps?

This was an issue discussed in the icilian thread. It was though that ASicily could be the one European country that aligns more with Al-Andalus, and so it doesn't really get involved in the crusade. But nothing else was worked out on that front, because the game has few avenues to express trade. We could write some events, of course ...

Catalan is another anti-muslim deal. Doesn't mean we don't go down that route, but it would shut down the trade events we we draft for them, as would the North African coastal stuff.

How about Sicilians taking over the papal lands except Rome?

Not sure what the premise would be. Perhaps we cut the Papal States back to a single province and recreate two more Italian one-province minors. This would work very well in 2.0 where the hansa don't get Tuscany. This would open some space for non-muslim expansion bybthe Sicilians.

Perhaps the 'trade events' for Sicily include access to Ramdane, the explorer. If Al-Andalus doesn't use him and Siciliy is friendly, they get to hire him and can start exploring the African coast in the 1440s?

Since Venice got smacked down by Genoa, wouldn't it make sense for Sicily to drift towards byzantium since they would have somewhat of a common enemy to trade?