• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here it is, the war on the Order...

I must admid, that playing war seriously reduced my attention to the AAR. So, no screenshots and only a vague memory of the years between the battle of Ösel and January 1411.

Chapter III: The First Baltic War
100px-Wappen_Pommern_svg.png

The coat of arms of the house of Pomerania

As the Spring of 1406 began, the armies of Friedrich were still sieging Danzig and Visby. The fleet had anchored at the coast of Skåne, ready to transport 3000 men of the royal army to the island of Ösel.
Ösel, along with the rest of the Duchy of Estonia, had been mischievously occupied by the Teutonic Order durring the time when no king ruled in Denmark. As the poet would later write, “hvor ingen hegner, torne gro”- “where no-one puts up fences, thornes will grow”. Valdemar Atterdag had given up the duchy in exchange for gold, that he used to pay back the loans that his father had taken with the German counts. This meant, that in the eyes of the world, the Danish crown had no legitimate claims on the Duchy, even if it had been an integral part of the realm for more than a century.

However, this was of little concern to the Danish generals. They knew, that the Teutonic Order had a large army on the mainland. This army was restless, as it had no means of defending Gotland and Danzig. Ösel, however could be accessed from the mainland by a narrow strait. By laying siege to the island, the hope was to lure the army of the Order into an attack. Once they were on the island, the Danish fleet would move into the strait, effectively trapping them on Ösel while the combined armies of the Union conquered the mainland.

[Cheap trick, I know...]

The battle of Ösel was short with little bloodshed. The Danish army had spent days disbanding its camp in the central part of the island, ready to move across the strait to Kurland. The larger army of the Order arrived early in the morning, hoping to strike their enemy while asleep, but spies found 3000 men fully armed, with great pikes in the ground, aimed at stopping the onslaught of cavalry. The German generals held a short conference before deciding to take the cavalry around the small forrest that lay next to the camp, and attack from behind.
The Danes, however, had spies as well, and as soon as the dreaded cavalry were on their way around the forrest, the army quickly gathered their belongings and ran for the strait, meeting only little resistance from the bewildered men-at-arms that lay waiting for the sign to attack. The Danes jumped the ships that lay waiting by the beach, and were quickly taken across the strait, while the remainder of the fleet made sure that no other ships had access to the island. The Crusaders were trapped.

For four years, Danish ships lay around Ösel, while the army fought the remaining troops of the Order on the mainland. Kurland and Livland have a long history of strife, and many cities are well fortified, so the Danish troops were spread out thin. In December of 1410, however, Marienburg, the headquarters of the Order, was conquered. It was at this point, that the Swedish nobles finally sent their private troops to aid in the war. Within a year, all but the province of Memel had been conquered, and the Grand Master of the Order gladly gave away Estonia, Ösel and Danzig for peace, as well as the entire fortune of the Order.

Peace had come to the Union, but prosperity hadn’t. As it turned out, the befabled treasures of the Order had been utterly spent on mercenaries durring the war. All that was left for the Danish crown was a mere 25 ducats. The establishment of COT was still far away, but an important blow had been dealt to the Germans surrounding the Union, and the Duchy of Estonia was back on Danish hands.

Friedrich could now focus on gaining effective control of the realm. But the Swedish nobles would soon cause more problems.

The Union of Kalmar after the peace of Reval. New territories are Danzig, Estonia and Ösel.

Unavngivet.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, gameplay got a bit ahead of the AAR this weekend, I thought I would need to know more or less what direction the game would take before being able to write more. So updates should be coming, even if I won't have much time the next two weeks due to exams...

Chapter IV: The short reign of Frederik the First

The coat of arms of the house of Pomerania​

The German name Friedrich, which evolved to Frederik in the Nordic languages, means peaceful ruler. This name was well chosen for Frederik I, at least for his character. He came to the throne with a strong wish of reforming society. He wanted to centralize government, taking power away from the local nobles, and hoped to gain support for this with peasants and burghers by favoring the abolition of serfdom and lessening the strength of the aristocracy. He also wanted to draw trade into the Øresund region, largely inspired by his great aunt Margrete.

It is ironic, then, that the memorable events of his reign should be dominated by unrest and war. His first six years on the throne were dominated by the war against the Teutonic Order. This war gave the young king peace to establish himself with the help of Margrete, as the nobles of all three kingdoms focused on winning the war, and hoped for new fiefdoms for themselves in the conquered lands. Frederik stayed in Copenhagen, sending out merchants to Novgorod, Antwerpen, Venice and Lisboa, gaining a strong foothold in these centers of trade. He also slowly moved power to Copenhagen, changing the title of the Marsk, the highest official of the realm, to The Kings Marsk, rather than Marsk of the Realm. Although this might seem like a rather insignificant change, it caused many nobles to become dissatisfied, fearing that the king would become too powerful.

[Changed sliders to maximum centralization allowed with Feudal Monarchy]

When the war ended with the peace of Riga, the Swedish nobles realized that their armies were once again larger than the armies of the king. Even though nobody said it out loud, it was also clear, that their late intervention in the war had been crucial in forcing the Order to give up so much land. This fact made them arrogant, and they started to believe that they were better off without a common king, insulting Frederik every change they got. In response, Frederik hired mercenaries to secure his position. This helped in keeping the Swedish nobles at bay, but did little to further the establishment of a Center of Trade. The mercenary regiments were sent to Estland and Danzig in order to fight of any rebellions. This fight became a constant nuisance to the king. Twice durring his reign, the city of Danzig was taken by rebel leaders, but every time it was retaken by the royal army as the rebels tried to expand into Polish teritory.

revoltinEstland.jpg

Minor revolts would break out in the Duchy of Estonia

This weakening of the Union might also be due to the fact, that Margrete died shortly after the peace of Riga. As the person who drove the establishment of the Union, and either mother or aunt to all its kings, she had been its only real leader and unifying symbol. With her gone and a weak, young king left alone, the Union seemed destined to break appart.

Frederik, however tried with all his limited skills to keep the Union one. Travelling the three kingdoms with his court, he managed to keep the Norwegian nobles loyal to the crown, and the Swedish ones from open revolt. Taxes kept comming, but they all seemed to disappear into the pockets of soldiers, merchants and noblemen, the establishment of a centre of trade seeming further away than ever. Wether this drove the king to his untimely death, or if it was, as some would claim, the poisson of an assassin that took his life, remains unknown. But on the 26th of March 1416, at the age of 28, the king passed away peacefully in the Norwegian city of Bergen.

The treaty of Kalmar clearly stated, that a new king was to be elected amongst the sons of the former king. Frederik and Hedewigs oldest son was named Vilhelm, and was almost ten at the time of his fathers dead. With a child as the only legitimate heir to the throne, the Swedish nobles took the chance to elect one of their own, Karl Sture, as king. Luckily, the entire court were in Bergen, and Hedewig moved quickly to gain support for her son among the Norwegians. Vilhelm was crowned king of Norway in Nidaros before travelling to Denmark, where he was installed as Union king.

endoftheunion.jpg

A childking was not unheard of in Denmark. When Krisoffer I died from poissoned communionwine in 1259, his son Erik V was only 10, and had his mother Margrete Sambiria as a guardian. Erik got the nickname Klipping for cutting the value off the coins by excessive minting, and was killed by 56 swordwounds while sleeping in a barn. His son, Erik VI was 12 at the time, and his mother Agnes became his guardian. He continued the bad financial policies of his father, and also had a taste for the life of the German courts. It was the massive loans that he took with the German counts that led to the eventual pawning away of the entire country. He got the nickname “Menved”, which is derived from a popular curseword of his day. When the great king Valdemar Atterdag died, he left the crown to his grandson Oluf, who had his mother as a guardian and died young. He was the first king of the Kalmar Union, but never did anything of importance himself. The next king, Erik VII, was also young and had his aunt as a guardian. He was a brute who spent his entire reign waiting for a war, only to be killed while hunting when it finally came. So even though a young king was not unheard of, expectations were low. On the bright side, Vilhelm could hardly disappoint...

Last edited:
Great AAR so far!

Sorry to see the Swedes breaking away. Is there any way to get them back, short of conquest / vassalisation & diplo-annexing (i.e., some sort of "New Union of Kalmar"-type event)? Could sending them gifts at every possible opportunity not have worked? Just wondering, as playing one of the Scandinavian countries has always seemed quite fun... (out of interest, if one were to play a nation that then gets absorbed by another through a Personal Union becoming an actual union, would that be it - game over?)

Anyhow, looking forward to more! :)

Hopefully young Vilhelm can put those Sweedes back in there place
and bring new prestige to the union :)

Well, he's much better than his father and uncle combined. I hope he'll last longer, too

I guess he'll be good enough to put the rest of Scandinavia under the Danish jackboot... :D

It would seem so, although Norway is still just in a personal union, and will be at least untill Vilhelm dies. :(
Unless there is some secret way of annexing them, that I don't know of?

Great AAR so far!

Sorry to see the Swedes breaking away. Is there any way to get them back, short of conquest / vassalisation & diplo-annexing (i.e., some sort of "New Union of Kalmar"-type event)? Could sending them gifts at every possible opportunity not have worked? Just wondering, as playing one of the Scandinavian countries has always seemed quite fun... (out of interest, if one were to play a nation that then gets absorbed by another through a Personal Union becoming an actual union, would that be it - game over?)

Anyhow, looking forward to more! :)

I could have kept sending them gifts, but they're not that cheap, you know. I just couldn't afford to spend all my money on something that might not work in the end. Also, I think Frederik for all his shortcomings was wise enough not to keep giving money to people that might still end up as his enemies...

... Sad about the swedes. And the 30 gold pr gift to the swedes are paid poorly with a dip >=5 !

Who is the HRE? You could have extorted some minors for cash.. And that would also have stopped the insults ...

But very nice addition in adding the historical danish claims!!! Well done!

I'm going to subscribe to this, Danish history is really great. Can't wait to see your Baltic Sea Empire!:D

I think I've played up till about the 1480'ies now, so theres more updates coming when I find the time to write them. This one is of four pretty hectic years, the next ones will probably have a longer timespan. Also, I seem to be drifting in the direction of a historybook written long after the events, whereas the first entries were more in the style of almost contemporary description. All comments are welcome.

Enjoy.

Chapter V: The youth of Vilhelm I

The coat of arms of the house of Pomerania​

Vilhelm was born on the 2nd of September 1406, and was named after the patron saint of that day, Sct. Wilhelm, one of the first Danish bishops. The day of his birth is so close to the wedding of his parents, and to the death of Erik, that some have suggested him to be the son of Erik, rather than Frederik. It will never be known for sure, but at least it seems that Frederik always saw him as his own son. This said, Vilhelm had more of Eriks warfaring nature than of Frederiks kind manners, although he in fact was not only a better diplomat and statesman than either of the two, he was also a great general.

Vilhelm was first elected king of Norway, and it may be this fact that kept him closely tied to the Norwegian nobility. He was the first king of the Union who was born to have that title, and probably also one of the first to see himself as a Scandinavian rather than a Dane, Norwegian or Swede. It is ironic, then, that his ascension to the throne meant the first breakup of the Union, as we saw in the previous chapter.

When the Swedes broke out of the Union, many people expected, that a war was imminent. The nobles and the queen mother, however, had other plans. The Teutonic Order had been heavily decimated by Poland, while the small archbishopry of Riga had declared its independence. The nobles were more interested in gaining new possesions for themselves in the Baltic Region than in taking up arms against the Swedes, with whom many of them held close dynastic. As the history of Denmark has shown numerous times, the loyalty of the nobles was always primarily with themselves rather than with the king and the common people.

So in 1417, a Danish fleet once again landed in the Baltic area. A few days after the outbreak of the war, the people of Gotland declared themselves a free merchant republic. This didn’t bother many people, as the war was officially declared to regain the lands of Kurland, which had been proven to be granted to the Danish crown by a papal bull in 1236. Although some have pointed out, that this Gregorian Letter, as it is known, seems to be written in the style of the 15th century, few serious historians doubt that the Danish claims were legitimate.
Unlike the first war of the Baltic, this one was very onesided. The Teutonic armies were seriously beaten in the battles of Reval and Wenden, and in 1419 the last of the Orders strongholds fell. At the peace of Marienburg, all possesions of the Order, except the area around Marienburg, were ceeded to the Danish crown.

peaceofMarienburg.jpg

The new possesions gained at Peace of Marienburg were Livland, Kurland and Wenden

The war had left the Swedes unchecked. Imediately after the election of the pretender Karl VIII as king of Sweden, noone supported him. But after three years, he had used his great manipulative skills to gain support with Denmarks former friends in Novgorod. Hedewig, however, also found herself new allies in Muscowy and her native Pommerania. Open war with Sweden still seemed far away, though, as the nobles opposed it. Some claimed, that the Union was not legitimate to begin with, as the treaty of Kalmar had never been officialy recognized by the Rigsråd of the three kingdoms, and that there was no just reason for war. It was then, that coincidence worked in favour of the Union. Novgorod decided to throw out the Danish merchants trading in the city, which caused a demand among the burghers, who had a lot of money invested in trading houses, for the crown to use all force possible to regain access to the eastern market. War was declared in October of 1419, and Sweden came to the aid of their allies. Quickly the Danish army moved from Skåne into Västergötland while a Norwegian army led by Vilhelm, who was only 13 at the time, entered Dalaskogen on the Norwegian border. Meanwhile the armies of Muscowy kept Novgorod busy on their eastern front.

[This was quite lucky, I had no casus belli on Sweden, so that embargo came just when I needed it. I've always been a bit annoyed that Denmark doesn't have a core on at least Småland or Västergötland, which in fact changed hands many times in the centuries before the game starts, while Sweden have cores on Halland and Skåne.]

The tyrant Karl VIII had not counted on such folly from his allies, and was caught of guard. Before he could muster any resistance, the combined armies of the Union had occupied most of southern Sweden. Vilhelm and his Norwegian troops defeated Karl at Bergslagen, while the Danish army conquered Östergötland and laid siege to Stockholm. When Stockholm fell in 1421, Vilhelm wanted to expell the pretender and reclaim his fathers throne. The nobles however went behind his back and made a deal with Karl, who ceded all land between Halland and Jämtland except Småland, which was kept as a Swedish enclave. Vilhelm sulkingly agreed to this, under the condition that these lands were to be under Danish jurisdiction for all eternity.
With his great contributions to the victory, Vilhelm gained widespread support among the people. He was still young, and had been under heavy influence from his mother and the nobles. But with the confidence of a brilliant young man on the verge of manhood, he soon seized real power. As the new year of 1422 commenced, Vilhelm was in thruth the king of the Union.

Kongenvendertilbage.jpg

The new Danish jurisdiction after the peace of Stockholm

Last edited:
I thought I would make a little interlude covering all the stuff that goes on, but doesn't make me take screenshots or notes.

Fact box: The courtly life of king Vilhelm

While Vilhelm is mostly remembered as the great conqueror, it would be a mistake not to dwell at the many contributions his reign made to late medieval culture of Denmark. Now, as we saw in the previous chapter, Vilhelm quickly assumed power after the victory in the first war of the Union. The country had been mismanaged by the nobles, and much was still to be done before Vilhelm could fulfil the dream of making Denmark the great power of Northern Europe, that it had been before the reigns of Erik Menved and Kristoffer II, who pawned away the country to the Germans.

The income of the crown had diminished when the pretender Karl VII took the Swedish throne, so Vilhelm made it a priority to send merchants even further than his father had done before him. Danish merchants were already dominating trade in the Baltic region and in the Low Countries, but Vilhelm saw that the cities of Venice and Istanbul had much good to offer, and supported merchants travelling there, so that the country would be richer and the income from taxes would increase.

Though the eventual establishment of a Centre of Trade remained a goal of the king, the extra income was mostly spent on developing the knowledge of warfare, good governance, trade and, not least, increasing the efficiency of production. Vilhelm was determined to leave his realm wealthier than it had been when he inherited the throne, not only giving his people better means of maintaining a good life, but also enabling a larger fleet and a grand army that could protect the interests of the state.

The rumours of the young king of Denmark and his good manners spread widely in Europe, and many brilliant men of the time came to the court. One of them was Geoffrey Chaucer, who was driven from his native England at the death of Richard II in 1399. Nothing is known of him, until he appears in a list of people allowed at the royal table at Vilhelms court in 1422. Chaucer would do much to further the popular support for Vilhelm, not least with his famous Roskilde Tales, which features a group of Pilgrims travelling to the shrine of Saint Wilhelm in Roskilde. On the way, they tell stories that in different ways ridicule the nobility and emphasizes the importance of a strong king. The work is viewed as a masterpiece in early European litterature.

However, the peace that allowed Vilhelm to focus on the wealth of his kingdom would only last for ten years before the second war of the Union, and the wars that followed it, would take up his time and attention. The great deeds of the king in those wars would also be shape the ultimate fate of the Union in such a way, that the memory of Vilhelm would always be closely tied to war rather than economic and cultural development.

The great deeds of the king in those wars would also be shape the ultimate fate of the Union in such a way, that the memory of Vilhelm would always be closely tied to war rather than economic and cultural development.[/COLOR]

Excellent! We can only expect more war! :D

I doubt Chaucer would have left England after the death of Richard II as he was patronised by the lancasters (Henry IV's brood). Anyway, what is his skill level?

Poland-Lithuania is looking like quite the dangerous threat to your Baltic possessions. You'll have to smash them at some point if you truly want to restore the Danish hegemony over the North like Valdemar the Victorious did in the days of old.

But you've already gone some way on the road to restoring his old empire:

Danska_v%C3%A4ldet_under_valdemar_sejr.jpg

Poland-Lithuania is looking like quite the dangerous threat to your Baltic possessions. You'll have to smash them at some point if you truly want to restore the Danish hegemony over the North like Valdemar the Victorious did in the days of old.

But you've already gone some way on the road to restoring his old empire:

Danska_v%C3%A4ldet_under_valdemar_sejr.jpg

Hamborg is also a rightful danish possesion. Take it all!

BTW - do you use RM's and trying to get into personal unions ?