• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(92944)

Banned
1 Badges
Feb 15, 2008
vietafghan.frvp.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
Vietnam War version 5.4

The Vietnam War version 5 by FRVP with CIA Map
compatable with all versions!
copter.gif
new map ~ new units ~ new music
bg_start.jpg

Get version 6 here
More IC, resources, territories, events, ministers, leaders and improved AI and minor bug fixes.
Great historical full-function scenario of the American war in Vietnam 1963 - 1975 with other possible outcomes to certain events. Many rivers, monsoons, jungles and VC guerrilla atacks.

Start out in 1963 with the Diem and Kennedy assasinations and proceed though the many Vietnam era events from the Gulf of Tonkin incident to past the S.A.L.T. treaty in 1975. Nuclear tensions are high with USA, Soviets and China while Laos, Cambodia, Taiwan, and Korea battle with communism. Besides the Vietnam War, Vietnam offers other possible regional conflicts such as another Korean war (technically they are still at war today), the Soviet-China conflict, Malaysia-Indonisian conflict and a China-Taiwan conflict. It also has influencial civil wars in countries such as Cambodia and Laos which could allow attacks within their neutral territories. Options to play with more agressive communists and an option to continue after 1975.

Now all starting countries are playable!
Playable countries: North or South Vietnam, Viet Cong, USA, USSR, China, Thailand, North
or South Korea. Also included are Laos, Cambodia, Taiwan, Phillipines, Malaysia, Singapore, Hmong, North China, Brunei and Japan. Australian and New Zealand troops are represented. Smaller countries now more involved. Best played with agressive AI settings.

New unit: Hercules SAM
New Units: Green Beret, AH-1 Cobra, Advanced Supersonic Fighter, Nuclear Sub, M41 Light-Tank, Titan ICBM, ABM, Paladin, Missile Launcher, Attack Helicopters, Advanced Air Cavalry.
New brigades: M42 Duster, M113, mobile rocket launcher, advanced transport.
New sprites: M-41 complete sprite and other basic 'stand' sprites for Vietnam and USA.
New music: Awesome optional sound track for the era in two zips: pre 68 and post 67, use one or both. To get the whole effect you really need both. Sound track rated PG! :eek:

New territory: Khe Sahn and 20 more territories!
Major map files change: 29 textured new territories added. Back up your originals? (see below)
There are some minor changes or additions to some config, db, minister, leader and tech files.
New graphics were added for a few new units, ministers, leaders and events.
A couple counters, flags and shields were modified. A sprite pack is available.
New AI files for all countries involved were added. Jungle warfare is enhanced.

Made vanilla friendly for Armageddon v1.1 but will work for all with the correct patch. Unzip files to Armaggedon, Doomsday or HOI2 top-level directory. No patch needed for Armageddon.

Files Amended: (you may want to back these up)
Config: world_names.csv, tech_names.csv, unit_names.csv, models.csv, province_names.csv
DB: country.csv, revolt.txt, province.csv
/Ministers: all playable countries
/Leaders: all playable countries
/Tech: special_weapons_tech.txt, infantry_tech.txt, armor_tech.txt, aircraft_tech.txt
/Units/divisions: flying_rocket.txt, light_armor.txt, paratrooper.txt, cavalry.txt, multirole.txt
GFX/map/shields: shield_u72.bmp, shield_idc.bmp
GFX/map/flags: flag_u72.bmp, flag_idc.bmp
GFX/palete: counter_idc.bmp, counter_U72.bmp
GFX/skins/default: fullscreen.bmp, sidebar_A.bmp, topbar.bmp
MAP: all map files

Requirements: see installation instructions here Version 5 is not compatable with version 4
  • Vietnam5.zip is required, 9MB. Version 5.4 is the latest.
  • VN5MAP.zip is required, 33 MB (29 additional provinces). Version 5.0 is the latest.
  • You will need a no-time-limit fix for your version to go beyond 1964! (see #5 below)
  • For DD users only: You will need to unzip the VN5_DD patch to your DD directory.
    HOI2 patches not available for 5, download version 4!
  • For HOI2 users only: You will need to unzip the VN4_HOI2 patch to your HOI2 directory.
Thanks to Jamie for his Map Maker and Hilsdorf, Strits1945 and BeBro for their contributions!

Download here: all files in .zip format, scanned for viruses. Enjoy!: :rolleyes:
(ARM and DD Full download, 1 file with main file, map and sprites) soundtrack optional.
Download latest version of Vietnam v5.0 - 43mb (patches included)
For HOI2:
Download latest version of Vietnam v4.0 - 42mb (patches and sprites included)

sprites.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, I've just downloaded in and loaded it up. The new map is very nice by the way. The only problem is it ends on May 1st 1964. I patched the game with the 'no time limit patch', but that still happens. I'm using Armageddon 1.2, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Any ideas? Do I need a different version of the no time limit patch maybe, because I've never used it with Armageddon before.

Yes, you need the timelimit patch for DD and ARMG

Unfortunatley the only time patch I found for ARMG 1.2 and ARMG 1.3 won't let the AI build after a certain date. Hopefully one without the AI problem can be found soon.

However, the game is still very much playable because of periodic unit and supply awards to the major participants. Only AI minor participants are effected absolutely. So use the ARMG 1.1 or DD 1.3 version for full function play, it realy worth it. Otherwise there are enough events to still make the game rather enjoyable. ;)

ARMG 1.2, 1.3 link here
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91395&page=13

These patches don't seem to have that AI problem:
Digoo & Shadow0603's DD 1.3 patch
Lighting's ARMG 1.1 patch
Timur Lang's Hoi2 patch

Haven't tried these Doomsday's V1.0 - V1.2 patches

Last edited:
Thanks alot, I didn't know there was a spicific one for Armageddon. Scenario is much better with the extra provinces! You should consider doing a French War in Indochina scenario, starting in 1946 or something. I made a scenario for it a long time ago, but lost all files a year ago. Just an idea for the future. Looking forward to more updates in the future.

Few ideas/suggestions:

-In regards to tech, perhaps you could talk to nomonhan about using the techtree portion of his "Cold War Techtree" mod in this scenario. Alot of the techs go into the 60's, so it would work alot better than the standard HoI2 techtree.

-Do you plan on adding on to the other countries in the region (mainly stuff like the Cambodian Civil War)

-Maybe you should add some more of Manchuria and the Soviet Far East. I noticed at one point they went to war in 1969 and stayed in it for some time. But nothing changed between them because there's only the two provinces really in the Far East.

-Maybe add some IC and resources to the countries (mainly those in Indochina). I noticed as South Vietnam I needed 18 IC to pay for supplies due to the large amounts of US units in South Vietnam. Maybe this is intentional, but if not there should be a little more added.

Those are just a few things I noticed. Anyway the scenario is very good now that there are all those extra provinces. Keep up the good work and I look forward to future versions.

Few ideas/suggestions:

-In regards to tech, perhaps you could talk to nomonhan about using the techtree portion of his "Cold War Techtree" mod in this scenario. Alot of the techs go into the 60's, so it would work alot better than the standard HoI2 techtree.

Good idea, I looked at his tech tree and it would help. I'll try your Korea and talk to him.

-Do you plan on adding on to the other countries in the region (mainly stuff like the Cambodian Civil War)

If I have time, I don't want to get into other wars too much right now. But I did add government conflicts to LAO and CMB and other regional conflicts in version 4.7.

-Maybe you should add some more of Manchuria and the Soviet Far East. I noticed at one point they went to war in 1969 and stayed in it for some time. But nothing changed between them because there's only the two provinces really in the Far East.

That was a minor thing that was soon over. I added a peace treaty event to possibly end it. Like I said I don't want to get into other wars too much.

-Maybe add some IC and resources to the countries (mainly those in Indochina). I noticed as South Vietnam I needed 18 IC to pay for supplies due to the large amounts of US units in South Vietnam. Maybe this is intentional, but if not there should be a little more added.

Yeah, a little more would be good. But US was limited to 50k soldiers in combat at one time in the war. So it is intentional.

Those are just a few things I noticed. Anyway the scenario is very good now that there are all those extra provinces. Keep up the good work and I look forward to future versions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
awesome mod really good but i had just a few problems

1. once i paused the game music stopped even after i unpaused

2. as VC i know there are some troops that cant move until a event but event never popped up

3.i know you probably dont have the time but being able to play as cambodia and laos would be cool see how the war would change if they decided to join

awesome mod really good but i had just a few problems

1. once i paused the game music stopped even after i unpaused

2. as VC i know there are some troops that cant move until a event but event never popped up

3.i know you probably dont have the time but being able to play as cambodia and laos would be cool see how the war would change if they decided to join

It shouldn't have anything to do with pause. At the start of a new game it asks if you want to use era music, if you say no then only a few songs will play. It remembers that in the saved game. You should also have both music files loaded as it will stop if a file is missing.

Never had an event not pop up. It would only happen if South VN was gone very early. A few garrisons remained locked for the game. You may want to try downloading vietnam4.zip again.

Updated the Laos and Cambodia polititians, events and ai in Version 4.2

Last edited:
Can't wait downloading.

What do you mean?

I added everything from the file into the map file in gfx, but then I get an error requesting the latest milestone. :confused:

Does that mean the patches, or something that I am not aware of.

NOT the GFX/MAP directory but the first level /MAP directory. You will know its right if it asks you to overwrite the files.

You need to patch DD or HOI2 not ARMG. What do you have? You need patch installed after everything else.

Creepy, I had a plan of doing this myself! :cool:

Do you think you can turn the divisions into Brigades or something? And if more provinces are added, it would be awesome. :D :cool:

Sorry if I look demanding, it's really just suggestions. Looks really great, I can't try it out at the moment but I will try ASAP. :)