• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lofman

Safe One
33 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
Welcome to my new AAR
Some info:
Rome 1.3 with my little mod
Country: Ilergetes / starts as a Trade Tribe with 1 province (the aptly named Ilergetes province) with 50 civ.
Goals:
1: Unite Iberia (includes throwing out the Carthaginians)
2: Conquer Gaul
3: ?

Hope you will enjoy it

2zrzt42.jpg

While the founding of the Ilergetan Republic took place roughly a decade after the Pyrrhic War, it was during that war that the Ilergetes began their expansion that eventually led to the transformation of the Ilergetes to something more similar to the Aetolian and Achaean Leagues of Greece rather then a single tribe among other tribes in the Iberian peninsula. So while the Romans and Epirote King fought in Magna Graecia (and as we all know, ending after fierce battles in an Epirote defeat and the conquest of those territories by the Romans), the Ilergetes (according to a few sources ruled by one Caraunios) moved against the Cassetani. The Cassetani rose to face the Ilergetans, but they could not defeat the Ilergetan warriors, led by Ambon.

After the Cassetani defeat, the Ilergetes set up their rule at Cissa in the Cassetani lands, while the Cassetani warriors unwilling to submit fled to the lands of the Sedetani. It seems the Ilergetes sent forces towards the Sedetani to defeat these remaining Cassetani, they hoped to avoid full confrontation with the Sedetani. This failed, and after the ensuing destruction of most of the Ilergetan army, and the victorious Sedetani deciding to go pillaging across Iberia, the Edetani of Saguntum moved in and subjugated the Sedetani lands. It is from about this time the Ilergetes formed close bonds with the Edetani as well as the Aquitani to the north, according to some sources it was a formal alliance, though in the following wars until the founding of the republic it should be noted that neither Edetani nor Aquitani became involved.

By this time, according to some sources, the Aquitani asked the Ilergetes to aid them against Volcae raiders. The Volcae, unlike the Cassetani but like the Ilergetes, was a fairly powerful and reasonably united tribe. The Ilergetes went to war with the Volcae, it can be noted that the Aquitani remained neutral this entire conflict. The Ilergetan army, sources are unclear wether they where still led by Ambon, or wether the hero Rhetogenes by this time already led the Ilergetes in battle. Nevertheless the Volcae warriors, caught unprepared, where annihilated by the Ilergetes. Of the Volcaes supposed allies the Arverni did nothing, but the Lemovices sent a strong army, that however weakened by the march through hostile territory was unable to defeat the Ilergetes and prevent the fall of the main Volcae city, Tolosa, and the subsequent annexation of the Volcae lands by the Ilergetes.

After this the Ilergetes cast their greedy eyes on the Greek city of Emporion. This city was ruled by Massilia which in turn was under the protection of Rome. It seems the Ilergetes decided to act as Rome began aggressively expanding into Gaul, defeating even powerful tribes such as the Arverni and the Sequani. The first move of the Ilergetes was sieging Emporion which fell after a brutal assault led by the famed Rhetogenes. While the Ilergetes now controlled the city, the war had just begun, and the Ilergetes moved into the Arverni lands, hoping to free them from the Romans, but after a few fierce battles, the remaining Ilergetan warriors had to retreat.

The war now dragged on with the Romans sending legion after legion to liberate Emporion, aided every now and then by Massiliot forces. However Rhetogenes smashed the legions, and after the war had dragged on, the Romans realized the Ilergetes would not submit and unwilling to send more men to their deaths in distant Iberia, allowed their Massiliote allies to accept the Ilergetan demands. The city of Emporion and the surrounding territory was ceded to the Ilergetes. By this time Ambon once again led the Ilergetan army, and Rhetogenes had been given the task of ruling the Volcae from Tolosa.

33ng5du.jpg

It was then shortly after this victory, that Punicus (who had become the High Elder of the Ilergetes during the recent war) formally created the Ilergetan Republic. The move was supported by both Ambon and Rhetogenes as well as the other leading figures of the Ilergetes, and while not as revolutionary as some have said, since it was in many ways simply recognizing the various ways the tribe had changed, it was certainly a significant event.

242ykvs.jpg

2wfsdpu.jpg

Last edited:
Wow brilliant start!

I must say this reads like the Roman/Barbarian book I am reading right now, and I love it!

Nice victory against the Romans, let us hope that continues and that they don't get serious about you early. You still need to grow.

Wow brilliant start!

I must say this reads like the Roman/Barbarian book I am reading right now, and I love it!

Nice victory against the Romans, let us hope that continues and that they don't get serious about you early. You still need to grow.

Glad you enjoy it :)

About the victory, a good general like Rhetogenes is really helpful, not to mention no direct border with Rome, so I mostly met relatively small armies (the largest 9-12k) that I could completely crush before the next one came. Funny thing is, my army is mostly militia (and some archers thanks to wood from Sedetani I get from trade), however thanks to the (possibly overpowered) bonuses I get from being an Iberian in my mod they actually can fight somewhat.

On another note, my southern neighbour and ally (not Ilercavones) will get renamed to Edetani, already done so in the first post, but their old name is currently still written on the two maps. While I might fix that by the time of the next update, I say this in case anyone wonders where the Edetani are on the map.

In the early days of the Ilergetan Republic, the Roman generals Gaius Duilius and Gaius Sempronius Blaesus was released from captivity, Duilius had been captured 9 years earlier in the battles of the Arverni territory, while Blaesus had been captured in a battle outside Ilerda four years later. It is possible there was a hope that this gesture would both reduce Roman hostility against the Ilergetes, but there is little proof of this, more likely the Ilergetes simply saw this as the honourable thing to do.

1tq3kh.jpg

During these early months the Lusones felt that their position between the Arevaci and the Ilergetan Republic was untenable, and most of the people began migrating south. The Ilergetes took advantage of this and established their rule around the town of Contrebia.

eools.jpg

This was a great gain for the Ilergetes, who thanks to the resources of this area could equip their own heavy infantry, rather then relying on mercenaries to provide it. The bulk of the Ilergetan armies however, still remained lightly armored infantry. The Arevaci and the Lusitani at this time tried both to persuade the Ilergetes to pay tribute, but the Ilergetes felt confident in their own strength, and felt no need to rely on the protection of any other tribe. Soon the hero Rhetogenes came to rule the Republic, and Punicus was sent to rule the Lusones territory.

As the Ilergetes remained in peace to restore its strength and deal with the unstable situation caused by the wars, the army needed less resources, and the Ilergetes consequently prospered. One notable event in this time was the shortlived Negrani kingdom, the Negrani led by one Hyrkanus Shemidid came from Arabia and ousted the Seleucids from Babylon and Seleucia, as the nobles faith in king Antiochus was reduced, the Seleucid Empire entered into a civil war. Amidst this chaos, the Seleucids decided to work together with the Ptolemies and in a brutal war they destroyed the Negrani, with Babylon ending up in Ptolemaic hands. Other then this there where no major wars at the time, though the relative peace didn't last long.

As Ambon died, Rhetogenes resumed command of the Ilergetan army, while the Romans decided to expand further into Gaul. As the Ilergetan Republic now was stable and wealthy, its eyes was cast on the Ilercavones to the south, despite attempts to convince them to pay tribute they stubbornly refused. War looked likely, but a cause had to be found, and also the Ilercavones was allied to the Edetani, who being allied with both the Ilergetes and the Cantabri, it seemed uncertain which side they would support, though the Ilergetans feared they would side with the Ilercavones. The Cantabri on the other hand merited little concern by the Ilergetans, confident the Cantabri would not be able to reach them.

mlr2vr.jpg

However as the Ilergetes searched for a pretext other then greed to attack the Ilercavones (and therefore mitigating the loss of stability a war would entail), worrying events occured in the north. A roman army marched on the Ruteni, and while defeated, the locals began to migrate, leaving the area open to the expansion of either Rome or the Ilergetes.

2nqt7j5.jpg

To begin with the Ilergetes stood the best chance to take advantage of this, but unable to decide on a course of action, since they did not want to have a common border with the Romans, who although they had been able to defeat them in the last war, they knew where powerful, and unwilling to forget nor forgive any defeats they suffered. While there was a hope that if left alone, the locals would get powerful enough again to resist expansion, there soon was rumours that the Romans where beginning to set up their rule in the area, settling it with loyal Gauls mostly from the Arverni.

I like the way you started your aar. I also really like the mod, good work!

Thanks. I Hope you will also enjoy how this AAR progress.

Now readers, do you think I should go to war against the Ilercavones (after raising a bit more troops so I atleast have as many as they and the Edetani combined)? Or hope I saw wrong just after I had saved and the Romans aren't colonizing Ruteni, and in that case a) colonize it myself or b) have my best available governor in Volcae and hope that the Romans are unable to colonize until barbarian power rise high enough? Or something else?

Tough decision. I would declare war on Ilercavones, only cause you were able to fend off the Romans, you should be able to take them down. However, I don't have the game in front of me, I dare not tell you to go through with it :D

Soon the Ilergetes found their excuse to invade the Ilercavones. As ambassador Rhetogenes Culchid (not to be confused with his namesake, the Ilercavoni leader) was there, Tautalus Punicid, an ambitious Ilercavoni noble, murdered Rhetogenes Culchid (the Ilercavoni leader, not the ambassador), blaming the ambassador for the deed and imprisoning him.

mm98hi.jpg

The Ilergetes could not accept this kind of behaviour, and promptly prepared for war. When the army was ready war was declared and the brave warriors of the Ilergetes marched to meet the Ilercavones in battle. Of the Ilercavoni allies the Cantabri joined the war, while the Edetani remained neutral.

4utmvo.jpg

Rhetogenes quickly put the Ilercavoni warriors to flight, and their strongholds was promptly put under siege. Their army escaped into Edetani lands, but felt compelled to quickly return, since the Ilergetan sieges progressed very well, and soon all the Ilercavoni could do was submit to Ilergetan rule. In a quick war Rhetogenes had added yet another province to the growing Republic.

Soon afterwards, words came in that the Romans where causing trouble in Cadurci, unwilling to let the Romans gain more territory if it could be helped, the Ilergetans quickly put the local tribes under their protection. The swift war against the Ilercavones, and the decisive move against the Romans convinced the Edetani that it would be in their interest to accept Ilergetan protection, and they agreed to pay a modest monthly tribute in return. Now there was three main powers on the Iberian peninsula, the Carthaginians with their holdings in the south, the Lusitani, the Ilergetans and the Arevaci. Three important tribes paid tribute to the Arevaci; the Carpetani, the Vaccaei and the Aquitani. Cantabri was at the time not closely affiliated with any other tribe, and was not as strong as the Lusitani, who like the Ilergetans had transformed into a Republic.

But any plans to overthrow the Celtiberian Arevaci as masters of central Iberia was put to rest as the Romans continued their aggressive wars against the Gallic tribes, reducing the Boii and subjugating the Helvetii and the Lemovices. However while the Helvetii had fallen relatively quickly, the Boii and the Lemovices had managed to put up some resistance to the Roman war machine, and the Bituriges, who regarded themselves as the most powerful tribe in Gaul, especially as their main rivals had been subjugated, decided to fight the Romans and attempt to liberate Gaul. Supported by the Aulerci the Biturigian warriors fought long and hard against the Romans, and while they in the end failed in their quest to liberate their fellow Gauls, they had fought Rome and survived with their honour and independence intact.

The Parisii tribe was impressed by this, and shortly after the Biturigian war had ended, the Parisii attacked the Romans, and they were aided by their allies, the Veneti and the Eburones. Rhetogenes and the rest of the Ilergetan leadership had already begun considering a war with Rome to aid the Bituriges, now felt even more eager to attack the Romans, and throw them back to Italy, where they would not pose a threat to the Ilergetan Republic (not to mention the prestige that would be gained in smashing such a powerful foe). But there was still the matter of having a proper reason for war, since otherwise the stability of the Republic would be in peril. Then came further evidence that the Romans was at the moment weak, a Germanic people, the Usipi, had marched and looted across Roman territory and then settled in the Allobroges territory, ousting the Roman governor.

oh5wsk.jpg

In the early days of the new year there was much discussion, should the Ilergetan Republic go to war against Rome, and if so what would be the goal? The Ruteni territories, or more? Or should Rome wait and the Arevaci be the goal? Regardless what course was choosen, one thing was clear, there would be war, and as Rhetogenes was old, it looked like it would be his last.

1174ojr.jpg

2wfu874.jpg

Last edited:
Tough decision. I would declare war on Ilercavones, only cause you were able to fend off the Romans, you should be able to take them down. However, I don't have the game in front of me, I dare not tell you to go through with it :D

As you can see, the war didn't go as I feared it might have gone.

Well, this'll be interesting, consider me a reader! :D

Glad to have you aboard :).

I cant wait till the next update!:)

No longer any need to wait for that one, now it is time to wait for the one after it :D!

Rhetogenes didn't wait much longer, and attacked Rome to curb its expansionism. There was some instability caused since many thought that the real reason was Rhetogenes own ambitions. Rhetogenes marched into Ruteni, while Arganthonios Carosid led 3000 Cadurci warriors into Lemovices.

1676z2q.jpg

Ruteni was quickly brought under control, and Rhetogenes marched toward the Arverni lands. Argonthonios managed to take control of Lemovices, but roving bands of barbarians drove him back to Cadurci, however they where soon defeated and Gergovia was taken. Outside Bibracte Rhetogenes smashed a Roman Army, but by then the Romans conducted an offensive to retake the lost area, and Rhetogenes had to go back towards Ilergetan territory, and in a great battle in Cadurci an army of 9000 Romans was crushed. However brilliant Roman General Sextus Sempronius Fimbria moved through Arverni with an army of nearly 24,000 soldiers. Rhetogenes attacked him but the Fimbrias disciplined Legions sent the Ilergetan Warriors running.

2co4qo7.jpg

As Fimbria besieged Cadurci, after having won yet again over Rhetogenes, disaster struck for the Romans. Fimbria was murdered, supposedly by those in Rome who feared his popularity, though some sources baselessly accuse the Ilergetans of the deed. Rhetogenes led the entire Ilergetan army against the Roman army, led by the less able Lucius Postumius Megellus, and defeated them.

ml117l.jpg

Rhetogenes now had had enough of this war, and demanded that the Romans should cede Ruteni. The Romans, now embroiled in many more wars in the east gladly agreed. As the Ilergetan Republic now found itself at peace, massive works to improve the irrigation of the Ilergetan heartland began, and words came in that the Bituriges once again attacked Rome. It was then Rhetogenes died.

168x5cz.jpg

He was to always be remembered as a great hero by the Ilergetes. His successor as leader of the Republic was Mandonius Mandonid, who was married to Rhetogenes daughter Chiomara, who while not a man known for any sort of charisma, was thought to be an able and dutiful man, however most of the army passed on their loyalty to Rhetogenes son.

2hpius5.jpg

While the Ilergetes enjoyed peace and prosperity, the Romans saw their state coming down around them, the Bituriges conquered Lemovices from them, but that was not all, the Germanic Varisti had settled in Lingones, and the Epirotes and their allies attacked Rome furiously from the east. Barbarians roamed the Italian peninsula, and rebels where everywhere. So as the Ilergetes strengthened the fortifications around Ilerda, the Romans lost Rome to the Triboci tribe, who also took Picenum.

29vgl6o.jpg

This did not end the Roman woes as the Greek cities in the south reclaimed their independence, and the Carthaginians decided to invade the Roman Republic. Liguria had been lost to the Epirotes, and the Nervii had thrown them out from the northern reaches of Gaul, the Roman situation was dire indeed. Fear of Roman invasion was greatly reduced in the Ilergetan Republic, and it seemed that the future could be a peaceful one, where the Republic could focus on internal development, as well as on the local situation in Iberia.

23sxctf.jpg

What a turn around! Not only did you beat the Romans, but the they got crushed! I don't know what will happen now, as I have never seen Rome in the situation that they are in!

What a turn around! Not only did you beat the Romans, but the they got crushed! I don't know what will happen now, as I have never seen Rome in the situation that they are in!

Me neither, I loaded the save as Rome to see exactly how bad their situation is. It is bad. Much worse then I thought :wacko:. The total Roman army is ~8k spread over their entire lands in small armies, no manpower, no money and the most central enemies (Triboci & Magna Graecia) have about that much each, gathered in one place for each of them. And then we are ignoring the Carthaginians and everyone else attacking them :eek:. And Rome actually have been forced to pay tribute to Tylis :D. The only good things for them is that I don't plan to attack them again, and that that most of the Greek minors are neutral, and that the Seleucids and Ptolemies (who are allies, but atleast neither of them is paying tribute to the other) have also maintained peace with them.

ahahaha die Rome!

Great AAR :D

For the first, their chances to get out of this are limited, as can be seen above :D. For the second, glad you like it.

In the following decade the Ilergetan Republic was at peace. In Italy the Triboci conquered Umbria, while the Greeks were satisfied with a white peace. Such was it when Caisaros, the son of Rhetogenes was elected as leader of the Republic. Shortly after his election the Ilergetans no longer shared a border with the Romans as Arverni was conquered by the Bituriges. Shortly afterwards Massilia, Romes only friend and ally, was conquered by an Aulerci army. Rome managed to get some semblance of peace by paying tribute to the Carthaginians, though war still raged in Roman Gaul.

Two years later Macedonia was conquered by the Seleucid king Antiochus, who since he already recieved tribute from Epirus, was now the most powerful monarch in Greece, and the Seleucids was clearly the true heirs of Alexander, although the Ptolemies were powerful rivals, at the time the two powers were united in an alliance so there was little discussion, though some tensions existed. It did not take long until the Seleucids focused their attention on Armenia, and that kingdom was unable to resist the powerful armies of King Antiochus.

As that happened Mandonius Mandonid died. As Caisaros was married with Gwendolen, daughter of Ambon, Chiomara now married Caraunios, son of Ambon, uniting the two families. At that time the Romans lost all their Transalpine holdings save Helvetii. In Italy the Triboci used their massive wealth to pay for yet another war against Rome, stripping them of Etruria and Samnium. However Rome now enjoyed peace and there was some hope that they could, in time, restore their strength. That peace ended as Rome was forced to join the Carthaginians in their war against the Ptolemies and their Seleucid allies.

While the Ilergetes enjoyed their peace, Caisaros, encouraged by the military leaders, began formulating a plan to attack the Arevaci. As the Bituriges crushed the Usipi, Caisaros decided that it would be foolish to stand idle and began amassing the Ilergetan Warriors near the Arevaci territories, while a small army of mostly Gallic warriors were raised and stationed in the Gallic holdings to maintain a military presence in the area so that any possible rebellions could be dealt with (good relations with the Bituriges meant that while they had recently crushed the Usipi, there was no real fear that the Bituriges would break the peace).

vglzkm.jpg

Great stuff, I'm on board!