• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
There has been a declining interest in Valkyrienet, the matchmaking server running for the old Europa Engine games, over the last few years, while maintenance and running costs have still been running high.

In early April, we'll be shutting it down permanently, when we are moving offices.

Multiplayer over the internet will still be possible through direct IP.

This does not affect EU3, Rome or HoI3 multiplayer games.

To be fair, the reason that it wasn't very popular was because it plain didn't work 75% of the time anyway, even with clean installs and properly forwarded ports and strong internet connections all around.

Still, even if I very, very, very rarely managed to actually get a game going, it's still a shame to see it go - it at least provided a place to go and chat about the games. Though I guess there's IRC for that... still... it'll be harder for newbies to get involved, indeed.

This is a really bad idea, v-net is where most of the newcomers end up when they take their first staggering steps in multiplayer and a place where players of different gaming clans meet. Multiplayer is the shit at least when it comes to hearts of iron. Why sink the flagship guys?

This is a really bad idea, v-net is where most of the newcomers end up when they take their first staggering steps in multiplayer and a place where players of different gaming clans meet. Multiplayer is the shit at least when it comes to hearts of iron. Why sink the flagship guys?

...have you SEEN the chat room for, say, HoI2 lately? There's no one in there, and if there is, they rarely even bother trying to play because they'll get one of the ever-present and all-too-common errors of "version mismatch" despite having the same checksums, "no game found at IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", or just plain random desyncing. MP over VNet wasn't exactly a smooth experience with the older games, and although I think it sucks not to have at least a meeting place, I completely understand why they're not bothering with it anymore.

Reactions:
What if Paradox published interface definitions for EU Engine-Vnet so some public initiative can make alternative service to replace vnet? I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to put something together to replace it :confused:

To be fair, the reason that it wasn't very popular was because it plain didn't work 75% of the time anyway, even with clean installs and properly forwarded ports and strong internet connections all around.

Still, even if I very, very, very rarely managed to actually get a game going, it's still a shame to see it go - it at least provided a place to go and chat about the games. Though I guess there's IRC for that... still... it'll be harder for newbies to get involved, indeed.

95 per cent

Well at least we won't have to deal with people changing their names over and over and then sabotaging games......A major problem if you ask me. Players need to be accountable and not having a permanant screen name makes it much easier for all those bored losers out there....and there are a many of them it seems for this game.

So indeed it is crappy but it's not the end all; just organize internet games thru the forums. I cant tell you how many times I've logged into vnet to find a dozen people sitting around and no games. More like a place to gather and insult others.......sad. :wacko:

Well at least we won't have to deal with people changing their names over and over and then sabotaging games......A major problem if you ask me. Players need to be accountable and not having a permanant screen name makes it much easier for all those bored losers out there....and there are a many of them it seems for this game.

So indeed it is crappy but it's not the end all; just organize internet games thru the forums. I cant tell you how many times I've logged into vnet to find a dozen people sitting around and no games. More like a place to gather and insult others.......sad. :wacko:

Yea and the biggest problem is that once a player starts losing or gets in trouble he wont show up next time or just quit.Thus games for some people wont go past 40 or even 39.And nobody will want to substitute him because his country is bambozled and game restarts itself.And only countries that have war are UK/Germany and italy.

Thats where the insults and fustration comes from after a player plays 20 or more hours peacetime then his opponent quits and he gets angry.

That being said ive been having some success organizing games on Ederons forum especially EIR mod.

Last edited:
There has been a declining interest in Valkyrienet, the matchmaking server running for the old Europa Engine games, over the last few years, while maintenance and running costs have still been running high.

In early April, we'll be shutting it down permanently, when we are moving offices.

Multiplayer over the internet will still be possible through direct IP.

This does not affect EU3, Rome or HoI3 multiplayer games.

Will HOI3 allow pc and mac user play togheter? IMO the most critical issue to resolve ;)

...have you SEEN the chat room for, say, HoI2 lately? There's no one in there, and if there is, they rarely even bother trying to play because they'll get one of the ever-present and all-too-common errors of "version mismatch" despite having the same checksums, "no game found at IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", or just plain random desyncing. MP over VNet wasn't exactly a smooth experience with the older games, and although I think it sucks not to have at least a meeting place, I completely understand why they're not bothering with it anymore.
bull.....i have a bot pc in the lobby most days and many games are started there on a daily basis, you obviously wont see them once the game is started....and also many new faces have been playing as well!......why not just downsize vnet to one channel for all paradox games?

bull.....i have a bot pc in the lobby most days and many games are started there on a daily basis, you obviously wont see them once the game is started....and also many new faces have been playing as well!......why not just downsize vnet to one channel for all paradox games?

If you wanna play some noobs like erich83 or patzer general, vnet can be a good place to meet them