• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Scene Three: Maedi

The man was standing his ground, he was visibly shaking and his knuckles were white where he held his spear, but he was not moving. Keraunos had to have the man honor for being brave, even as Keraunos’ cavalry spear forced its way into the man’s head. Letting go of the spear Keraunos took out his sword and continued to charge down the street of this small town. They had needed supplies so it was decided that this town would give them supplies. When its citizens refused the army descended on to it like a plague of locusts. All around Keraunos the sounds of sporadic battle filled the air. This was not a fight so much as a slaughter and he allowed his men to break ranks as soon as they got into the town. Some of his men, and himself, were in small patrols sweeping the streets of any resistance that could be mustered there. The rest were rushing through the buildings putting everyone to the spear. Keraunos stopped and looked at the darkening sky; he had picked a great time to invade. By attacking just before dusk he had made the people inside the town wait in fear all day, this caused them to be tired and have almost no morale when he finally attacked. A short time after that his men met him in the town square, “Good job men. For many of you this was your first time spilling blood, and for none of you will this be your last time. Make no mistake this was not a real battle. In a real battle we would have attacked at dawn and stayed in formation the entire time. This was a raid and a massacre. I want you to go through the town in groups and collect all the food stuffs and anything of value that you can. Each man may keep a few things of value for his own, but if anyone is caught taking provisions they will be dealt with swiftly and harshly. I want the wagons filled by the time Apollo has completed his ride through the sky. Then we march to distance ourselves from this place.”

And so they had marched. The horse archer scouts were starting to bring back reports of people being very disgruntled by the events of the town and some surmised it would only take a strong leader to get these people to rise up against the Macedonians. In late February such a leader showed himself. His name was Sitalkes Zoltid, a leader of a semi civilized tribe of barbarians. He was the veteran of several campaigns and managed to keep each major power in the area at an arms length. Where Sitalkes really shined however was in the art of oratory. He was known throughout the region as the best speaker and his silver tongue could convince a mother to kill her baby. His tribe and most of the fighting men from other tribes and some cities gathered and placed themselves in front of the Macedonians. On March 1st the armies met each other in a wide valley flanked by hills.

Keraunos looked at his aides “How many men do we have?”

“9,500 my lord. Through the hard marching, some bad weather, the attack on the town, and some small raids we have lost a total of 500 men since we left Pella.”

“How many men do they have?”

“They have seven thousand. Three thousand are barbarian warbands with one unit of town militia fighting in hoplite fashion. They have two thousand horses arrayed as light spear wilding cavalry as is wont among barbarians. They also have one thousand archers, a mix between barbarian archers and archers levied from towns.”

Keraunos thought for a moment and looked at the drawing of the valley laid out on the table. “He is probably going to put his archers behind his line with the infantry in the middle and horses flanking. The town militia will probably be on the left of his line being in the place of lest honor. They are the place we have to hit. Hit the left and fold it. It has worked time and time again against hoplite formations and it should work again. Since they are militia it should be easy to break them and with them retreating, the entire left flank becomes wide open and we can fold it and possibly surround the far right units. Our forces should be set up with the heavy infantry in the front, two units of horses on the right and one on the left, and all our archers behind. I shall personally lead the horses on the right but the inner unit rather than the outer unit. We have to negate his horses by using their knowledge that they are faster and get them to fight us in the hills separating us from his army.”

greek-phalanx.jpg

The mighty phalanx that was faced that day

A few men looked on with fear and tried to turn to meet the coming horsemen but it was too late. The leading lines of the Champions hit the unprepared side of the hoplites hard and the unit started giving way almost immediately. Panic started filling its ranks as more horsemen pushed into their formation slaughtering them. To make matters worse the trained phalanx in front of them was still steadily pushing forward sarissas finding every opening and exploiting it. Then the coup de grace happened when the right flank of the Champions wheeled around the back of the formation and added a third side to the attack. The route was sudden and quick. Men that had been fighting hard and bravely the moment before were now dropping their spears and shields in hopes of being able to out run death. Keraunos watched impassively and when a few started making it past the horsemen in back he told his men to let them go. Now the Champions and the newly freed up phalanx had to worry about the warband that was starting to surge toward them. A bitter fight was still ahead.

That night Keraunos walked through camp inspecting the damages. He learned that his entire force stayed together and every time the new recruits were looking close to breaking rank from the fierce barbarians ahead of them shouts of “Hold the line, hold your ground” would rise up in chorus. About the time Keraunos and the men he was leading on the right had routed the first warband and were starting to work on the second the morale all up and down the barbarian lines were breaking. The far right warband kept together until it became clear that if they did not run now they would be alone to face the might of the Macedonian heavy infantry. With the entire army in route the barbarian cavalry broke off the conflict to try and screen the route. Just shy of half of the barbarians never left that valley. Three hundred and seventy eight Macedonians made their way to Hades that night.

Last edited:
Nice job!
How many slaves?
None. The barbarians moved north

Quite a good casualty rate for that battle! :D
Yes it was very good if I do say so myself.

Aww, poor barbarians never had a chance...:(

Nice job. Keraunos is turning out to be quiet some leader!

Actually they had a very good chance in game. Keraunos only has a martial score of 5 and the other guy has a score of 7. So he got a +2 modifier on all rolls. First set of rolls was 0 and 0. The second was Macedonians 6 and barbarians 0. Then it went 8 and 0 again. So I interpreted it as Keraunos having a stroke of genius, we shall see if he can pull off more victories like that. What I have found in most games is the answer is no.

An impressive victory, and no doubt you will profit from it, and your men will be filled with courage to finish the war off.

An impressive victory, and no doubt you will profit from it, and your men will be filled with courage to finish the war off.

That is what we hope for. And yes it was rather impressive wasn't it?

I am very glad to see my AAR reach over 1,000 views so quickly. Also do not forget the ACAs are happening. You can vote for them here. I hope my readers remember this AAR when they vote and possibly vote for it. Either way I do want to publicly thank robou for nominating this AAR, a personal goal for a long time has been to write an AAR good enough to have at least one vote in the ACAs. I guess the next goal is to write something good enough to win.

Scene Four: At the Gates

Keraunos reached up and swept the sweat from his brow. It was only early April but it was clear that Demeter was getting ready to have to part with her daughter again and in her grief stop caring for the earth. There were two things that kept him going, number one he was on a horse and number two was he knew that not too long they would be closer to the cool breezes that came off the sea. So far there had been no fighting since the battle in Maedi; the Tylian military had retreated north and was not coming down to fight. Supposedly these barbarians that called themselves Tylis were related to the barbarians that were giving those Romani a hard time. If that was true when Macedonia finally decided to turn its attention to that part of the world the Romani would not be a problem. Still what ever the truth was they had to continue marching on no matter how cruel Apollo may be with his chariot. Since entering Maedi most of the roads had been hard packed dirt and this one was no different, the road was already hardened by the heat but it was not yet bad enough to be dusty. He looked down at his men, marching in full battle gear with the sun gleaming off of their armor, they looked miserable. Their left arms sagged from the heavy shield and many sarissas dragged on the ground. Their morale was not bad though, they knew they could fight and fight well but how does one fight Apollo?

There were three cities that had any large resistance to Macedonia. Tzirallum was one of them, Bergule was another, and the third was the capital of Tylis itself. The first two had raised 300 militia men while Tylis was able to muster 400 in defense of the capital. All three were being besieged by Macedonian forces while Keraunos was thinking about what he should do. After two days of hard deliberation he ordered an assault on all three cities at once.

***​

Ajax lunged his spear forward once again and again a Tylian had fallen. He had just climbed the wall but already his arm was beginning to grow tired. Ajax was a new recruit and this was his first real battle, and of course he the Gods intervened to place him in the first row. He was near the right side of a slowly expanding semi circle using the wall to anchor both sides. Soon the circle would have expanded to the point that it would become two lines rather than one circle. He looked ahead and between the shifting masses of barbarians ahead of him he saw a welcome sight, there was another semi circle being formed around the top of another ladder and when his line met up with that one he would get the break he needed. With new resolve Ajax pushed forward and started yelling encouragement to the people around him, it would not be long before they got their break.

***​

“Well how did it go?”

“None of the cities have fallen but most of the defenders are dead. We estimate fifty left in Tzirallum, one hundred seventy left in Bergule and almost two hundred left in Tylis.”

“And our losses?”

“481 Macedonians died in the assaults.”

“You are dismissed.” Keraunos said with a dismissive wave of his hand. They killed almost two for every one that died. Maybe these Tylians were stronger than he had thought. Although he out numbered them at the beginning of the battle roughly 9 to 1 in a confined space they were able to hold off and indeed push back his armies. It would be awhile before he tried that again. He knew his men must be tired and demoralized at being thrown off the walls, and the enemy forces must be in good spirits having beaten off a vastly superior army. He sat to read the reports the commanders gave at each city. The one at Tylis mentioned a solider who had acted with great courage, a man by the name of Ajax. He was going to have to meet this Ajax if he survived.

Last edited:
He certainly has a name fit for a warrior. It does seem the Tylians are being much tougher in their resistence now, but a well known Welsh proveb says that 'it is easy to brave behind a castle wall'. You proved they were no match in the open field, that ensures victory, as long as you know how to use it...

My, the Tylians seem hard to crack... You'll get 'em, though! :D
Eh they will fall

Ajax is a nice name.
But a lot of macedonians dead, not good. :(
Yes I do like the name Ajax. I have plenty more, so I am not worried.

He certainly has a name fit for a warrior. It does seem the Tylians are being much tougher in their resistence now, but a well known Welsh proveb says that 'it is easy to brave behind a castle wall'. You proved they were no match in the open field, that ensures victory, as long as you know how to use it...
Yes I stole the name right out of the Iliad, lets hope he can live up to his name sake. I am sure that part of the reason is the fact that they are behind walls but most of it falls under three predominate factors. One of these factors is the belief that if they fight hard enough and hold off the Macedonian horde the Tylian army will march back and save them. The second one is those who realize that they have been abandoned and know that they are all that stands between Macedonia and their families. Lastly the Macedonians can not bring their vast numerical superiority to bear on them. And no I have not proven that I can best them in open field, they never faced me.

I am home sick today so I am writing up another update.

Scene Five: Victory

Keraunos inhaled deeply, the smell of the water of this large sea filled his nostrils. It was summer now, and Persephone was back with Pluton. Although it was hot out there was a very nice cool breeze coming off the water which made the small party feel nice. Tylis had just fallen and the men were preparing to go home but Keraunos had to survey his new land. A small contingent of Macedonians would stay here but most would go home. Around 3,000 Macedonians would never return home though, they had met Cheron and had crossed the River Styx. As he gazed at the sea he thought back over what they had accomplished over this campaign. A month after the first attack he attacked Tzirallum and Bergule, those both fell but it took until July for Tylis to fall. Looting was kept to a minimum in Tzirallum and Bergule, those cities quietly submitting to Macedonian rule very quickly. Tylis had been a different story. He had sat at a table in the governor’s palace and let what was left of the government watch the city burn around them. He had captured the Clan Chief, a tall man by the name of Lutarius Sinatid and his son, Carvilius Sinatid. Reluctantly they signed the peace arrangement which placed the area under direct control of Macedonia. Now Antigonus, his wife, and two sons, Alcyoneus and Demetrius, were on their way to Tylis to take the position of Archon of Thrace.

***​

Antigonus looked over the ruins of the city from his new home. He could see the damage the fire had done as if it had only been done that day. The city was already starting to rebuild, both the citizens still alive and even the army. It was true what they said about Ptolemy Keraunos, he was a builder and very good at it. He stopped his musings to look back at his two young sons, Alcyoneus was 9 and already he was seeming to become an administrator rather than a soldier, Demetrius was only five so it was harder to say but he did not seem to have the finesse his brother had. Currently Alcyoneus had his brother pinned to the rug and Antigonus laughed. “Alcyoneus, you know you probably won’t be able to do that for much longer.” He said, “The only reason you can pin your brother like that is you are so much bigger than he is. Just wait until he is your age and then the four years you have on him will not be as large of an advantage as they are now.”

Alcyoneus looked up, “Yes, father.”

Antigonus turned back around to watch as a man stood on a beam that was being raised up on a pulley system by several men. As soon as the beam was level with the structure already in place the man jumped onto the frame and started guiding the beam to where it needed to go. This would be a good life for him and his family, he was sure of that. Although most of his new subjects were semi civilized at best, all of them barbarians, he would treat them fairly and justly.

***​

The muscles in Ajax’s arms were bulging, almost popping out of the arm completely, as he held the rope in place. He was helping rebuild some building and truth be told he much preferred this work to the first two times he entered this city. At heart he was a normal man, he worked for a living, he was not and never would truly be a soldier. It was true that he met the King and he had been heaped with praise for the acts of bravery he had done but he did not think he should be rewarded for it. All he had done was lead several charges to link up with other forces. None of that was done out of bravery, it was simply a desire to link up and let others handle the fighting to allow himself a rest and hopefully keep himself alive. He had a wife and family he wanted to get back to someday and if leading charges to link up with other forces to create that much thicker of a spear wall is what made him see them again then he would do so. There were rumors that they were going to march back to Pella soon and then go to war again. As much as he would be happy to go home Ajax did not like the idea of having to march off to war again. Any other enemy would be stronger than this last one and it would probably last longer.

***​

Keraunos looked at a map of Hellas and of the peninsula to the west. Most of the Greek colonies had fallen to the Romani in their last war. He could go after them and bring them back into the fold, but that may mean facing the Romani soon. He could invade Epirus and cite their failure in this war as the God’s displeasure in them. Sparta or the small leagues were also possibilities. There was also Crete, Rhodes, Pergamum, Bithynia, or possibly even Pontus but any of those would invite possible conflict with the Seleucids, which is something he still wanted to avoid. That left Illyria and Dacia. He knew that it would take more than one war to take down either of those nations and it would require a large expansion of the Macedonian army. He also wondered if he would be a good enough general to face these barbarians who had been in almost constant warfare since before Phillip of Macedon attacked them. He had men that he knew would be good enough but could they be trusted to lead a Stratos themselves and possibly gain the loyalty of the men and stay loyal to the rightful crown of Macedonia?

Hmm, so he has only finished on war and is already planning the next. I think Illyria will be the first target. Dacia is out in the middle of nowhere as far as I can remember on the Rome map...

Assaults never seem to work nowadays, though if you have 30,000 men you will win without any casualties. Hah, the paradoxs for the paradox games.

But it seems it doesn't matter anymore :D

Hmm, so he has only finished on war and is already planning the next. I think Illyria will be the first target. Dacia is out in the middle of nowhere as far as I can remember on the Rome map...
Yes, that is a trait shared by every great Macedonian warrior king. Illyria is the most logical choice even though they give long wars, but they are allied with Dacia so if either are chosen to fight they will both be in the war.

Hmmm There seems to be a quick turnover for wars... :D
Only early on. Most games I slow it down after the Illyria war unless there is some very juicy one province minor Greek nation begging for it.

Assaults never seem to work nowadays, though if you have 30,000 men you will win without any casualties. Hah, the paradoxs for the paradox games.

But it seems it doesn't matter anymore :D
You have to have over whelming force, something that was not quite there. A ten to one advantage is not over whelming I guess.

Greek world surely waits for one to unite it. :D
Surely it does, the question is who is that one? Is it Keraunos? Or is it someone else entirely? You will have to wait and see.

Note about the ACAs: Currently I am running in only Rome Narrative, I have not received a single vote in any other category and I would like to focus my efforts on Narrative. My main opposition is comagoosie, who happens to be a reader of this AAR. As of the time I post this message I am down by two votes. All of my commenters have left their votes for who they feel is best in this category but I hope some lurkers can be persuaded to vote for me.

Note about updates: Real life is not being pleasant for this so it will be awhile. I have caught up with where I have played to with my writing so I have to sit down and play more but with a rate of 1 month every 30 minutes its a bit of slow going. Add to that my family and I are moving and in about 14 hours my fiancee is moving back in with me and you get very little time for playing a game for that long. Also I have to have two computers so I can run the game on one computer and use the other (normally the laptop) to write notes in as I go.

I have some bad news, some good news, and some news that I hope will be good.

First off the bad news is I had a hard drive burn out on me. It was the hard drive on my main computer and the one I was playing Rome on.

Good news is I should be getting a new hard drive installed tomorrow night. I can't say for sure because it requires my mom going to work (she is an IT techie) and finding a spare hard drive for an engineer's computer. Then it requires me to download Rome and VV 2.1. Luckily I planned for something like this and have a copy of the save file on a flash drive. So assuming everything goes right I can play more Thursday and have an update by the weekend.

The news that I hope to be good is I will be starting a new AAR soon to run along side this one. The other one will be a CK AAR of the Duchy of Bavaria. When I start it (hopefully tonight or tomorrow) I will edit this post to have the link up. Rise, as it has been called, will remain my main AAR and the other will be updated a bit less often. I hope to see all my readers check into the new AAR soon.