• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought it was a conflict between Vampires. So Abraham is a Vampire, but he is like a new born? He must learn to use what he has, but without a mothers guiding hand to take him, only the rage of Sebastion to urge him to learn his own ways. It ain't going to be easy!

Selene... now that's a name you don't hear too often, though I do seem to recall it from the Wheel of Time (which, IIRC, wouldn't bode well for dear Abraham)

I also have to wonder about Sam's recollection of the name of her neighbour..
Or perhaps, if it was indeed Selene, that she might just have changed her name ever so slightly.

Sam, to be honest, seems to have some of the same characteristics that may have made Abraham a good "target".

...Just throwing in some ideas, really, Stuyvesant is way better at that puzzle stuff :)

While I imagine it might not be intentional, I am getting serious whiffs of Galadriel in Selene. A mixture of Galadriel and Gandalf indeed, that sense of knowledge, knowledge most importantly to know that they are too susceptible to this thing. And also they choose their agents, and rarely act directly themselves.

As for Jaspar and Sam - I would be amazed if Sam doesn't do something violent upon Jasper's person by the end of the tale.

Also, I think a certain someone is definitely trying to imitate the Storey cliffhanger :)

I have a certain inkling that Sam is now a vampire...just look at his neck...

;)

I also feel that Sebastian will be the only vampire remaining at the end of this story...call it an 'instinct.'

TheExecuter

The mysterious Selene finds Huard to do her bidding, the equally mysterious Else Sullivan (enough letters there for a passable anagram of 'Selene') has Sam to do her bidding... But is it a relevant similarity, or merely a red herring?

The Lady Selene does not trust herself with the Eye, yet she is willing to let Huard know it's close by. So she has more faith in his ability to resist the temptations of the eye than in her own. If she is not a very keen judge of character, she must be very desparate indeed, so let's hope it's her judgment of Huard that's making her choose this path.

This is an interesting place to catch up with Huard: he knows he's a vampire, but he also still has a lot of humanity: his emotions, his outrage, his curiosity. Learning to deal with his new powers and limitations, learning not to give in to the untrammeled lust for power that drives Sebastion - in essence, to stay human - that should be interesting to witness.

Fb-fb:

Its going to be one of those moments when you know what is coming and they don't, perhaps they don't even believe in what it is, and you are screaming at the television... well... computer screen. :) I will try and subdue myself, but no promises.
Yes, Sam isn't going to believe all this. He'll take it a bit less calmly than Temple, I'd wager. :D

Whoa! Another spine-tingling chapter good sir! :D
Thank you, sir. :)

Ugh, it's difficult coming up with new ways to express my feelings about this AAR without repeating myself! Just consider the previous comment as written by me! :)
Will do, sir. But a repeat is just as good as stealing another comment. :p

She talks the talk but I still am revulsed.
Don't like vampires? Or Huard's predicament? He's in a tough situation, to be sure.

Get you own comment! :mad:

:rofl: JK... :D
:D

Hide in dark, but remember the light?

That is cruel and might get bloody.
I agree, it is rather cruel advice but it is what he must do. And it won't be easy.

I thought it was a conflict between Vampires. So Abraham is a Vampire, but he is like a new born? He must learn to use what he has, but without a mothers guiding hand to take him, only the rage of Sebastion to urge him to learn his own ways. It ain't going to be easy!
Nope. He must learn to run before he can even walk. Hopefully I can get that across effectively.

Selene... now that's a name you don't hear too often, though I do seem to recall it from the Wheel of Time (which, IIRC, wouldn't bode well for dear Abraham)

I also have to wonder about Sam's recollection of the name of her neighbour..
Or perhaps, if it was indeed Selene, that she might just have changed her name ever so slightly.

Sam, to be honest, seems to have some of the same characteristics that may have made Abraham a good "target".

...Just throwing in some ideas, really, Stuyvesant is way better at that puzzle stuff :)
You may be looking a tad too deeply, though those are some interesting thoughts. I chose the name Selene just because I liked it, though I admit enjoying the symmetry with Sebastion. More on that later. And while not many are as good as Stuyvesant's insight, I enjoy all the attempts. It is always amazing how much people get when I am trying to bury it and make it subtle.

While I imagine it might not be intentional, I am getting serious whiffs of Galadriel in Selene. A mixture of Galadriel and Gandalf indeed, that sense of knowledge, knowledge most importantly to know that they are too susceptible to this thing. And also they choose their agents, and rarely act directly themselves.

As for Jaspar and Sam - I would be amazed if Sam doesn't do something violent upon Jasper's person by the end of the tale.

Also, I think a certain someone is definitely trying to imitate the Storey cliffhanger :)
That's an interesting analogy. While I cannot claim I was thinking on that, there is a similarity with her own mistrust of herself when it comes to the Eye. I hope to include a bit more on that in the next post.

And chalk another one up for the "Jasper needs a smack" group. I think it'd make an interesting social group, eh? As for the cliffhanger...well, I learned from the best. :D

I have a certain inkling that Sam is now a vampire...just look at his neck...

;)

I also feel that Sebastian will be the only vampire remaining at the end of this story...call it an 'instinct.'

TheExecuter
Hmmm...Sebastion the last one standing? He may try. Of course, if he's the last one standing, who does he feed off of? ;)

That good sir, has a ring to it that calls for another AAR :D

Anyways, I think my initial guess (with the pets) is slightly off :p

Though I wonder what power the eye holds...

I admit, after I wrote that I noticed the same thing. It was not intentional, but I like it anyway. Subconsciously, I often throw things like that in and don't realize it until I read it back. The next to last post has a couple of song references in it. Can you find them? ;)

The mysterious Selene finds Huard to do her bidding, the equally mysterious Else Sullivan (enough letters there for a passable anagram of 'Selene') has Sam to do her bidding... But is it a relevant similarity, or merely a red herring?

The Lady Selene does not trust herself with the Eye, yet she is willing to let Huard know it's close by. So she has more faith in his ability to resist the temptations of the eye than in her own. If she is not a very keen judge of character, she must be very desparate indeed, so let's hope it's her judgment of Huard that's making her choose this path.

This is an interesting place to catch up with Huard: he knows he's a vampire, but he also still has a lot of humanity: his emotions, his outrage, his curiosity. Learning to deal with his new powers and limitations, learning not to give in to the untrammeled lust for power that drives Sebastion - in essence, to stay human - that should be interesting to witness.
You miss an "e" trying to anagram Selene from Else Sullivan, but nice try. ;) However, there is more alike there than perhaps shown thus far. More on that later. I believe phargle has already picked up on the main aspect there. As for Selene - it is a mixture of urgency and what she sees in Huard. That he took the time to contact Scott and the manner in which he faced the information allowed her enough to know she might be able to trust him. But it's important to remember she hasn't actually given him the actual Eye that we are aware of. Only hints and the charge to protect it. I have to tread a fine line right now as I describe this quandary going forward. I have a few reveals to keep close at present.

And you are absolutely right about where we pick up Huard - that's why I didn't want to just throw this out at the beginning and write that in linear fashion. I thought it would have more power if we got an idea that the story was about vampires and then reveal that he is one of them. His character is easily the main character, though Sam will beg for time often. But the main protagonist must be Huard and his journey.

To all - Thanks, as always, for the great comments. Another update hopefully follows tomorrow if the day cooperates. :)

The day did not cooperate. In fact, it's been absolute shite. :mad: Maybe tomorrow.

The day did not cooperate. In fact, it's been absolute shite. :mad: Maybe tomorrow.

My sympathies... :D Looking forward to tomorrow though! :D

Song references? Unless it is classic rock or current hard rock, I don't think I could find them :D
Give you a hint - one is The Beatles and the other Lou Reed. ;)

And thanks dk. Getting out of work and a cold frosty beverage has made it at least bearable. :wacko:

Hmm...the Beatles have 300 songs.... What are the chances that a teenager will find the right song?

I'll get you...or I'll cry instead :eek:o
Well that's true. But that a teenager knows the two above is a good sign for a Beatles lover like myself. :) I'll narrow the section down for you:
Dragging a comb through his tussled hair, Sam went over the events in his head one more time. The beautiful woman…a rare gemstone…a notebook…a missing professor…the damn Germans…he didn’t know what he’d been caught up in, but his style wasn’t to roll over. With his teeth clean and a fresh shower, Sam seemed good as new on the outside. Even if his head still hurt, he was ready to tackle the case once again.

He found his way down stairs, careful to walk softly by…Sylvia? Maybe that was her name. Yeah…Sylvia’s place and he went out into the street, pulling the collar of his overcoat to his neck in the chill winter air. He made quick work of the sidewalk and soon found a hot cup of coffee in front of him. Blowing on it, he was surprised to see Jasper sitting down the counter from him. The reporter stood and sidled over, sitting with an exasperated look on his face.
They aren't direct references, but like other things seep in and seem to work. The Lou Reed reference is in there too, but you might not be able to get it unless you know about his personal life. ;)

I'm finally caught up. As I told you, I've been busy, sleepless and depressed, but I do apologize for not keeping up.

Selene is the name of the moon goddess, a counterpart to Athena and Minerva. Also a goddess of wisdom and mystical knowledge, as I recall.

If this is the same brownstone from 1792 then Sam had better be caref... ooops. Too late. He's already inside. :eek:

Well that's true. But that a teenager knows the two above is a good sign for a Beatles lover like myself. :) I'll narrow the section down for you:

They aren't direct references, but like other things seep in and seem to work. The Lou Reed reference is in there too, but you might not be able to get it unless you know about his personal life. ;)
Actually if you want to know the truth I wikipediaed the list of beatles songs found here[/thread] and I picked two random songs that would fit a sentences...

Anyways, my next guess is A Hard Day's Night...or maybe All You Need Is Love...Devil in Her Heart?

You're killing me :D

Fb-fb:

I'm finally caught up. As I told you, I've been busy, sleepless and depressed, but I do apologize for not keeping up.

Selene is the name of the moon goddess, a counterpart to Athena and Minerva. Also a goddess of wisdom and mystical knowledge, as I recall.

If this is the same brownstone from 1792 then Sam had better be caref... ooops. Too late. He's already inside. :eek:
No worries, Director. That you caught up means just as much. And good thinking on Selene, though I must admit I lucked into that rather than planning it. And you are spot on about the brownstone. :D

Well then you need to start listening to them regularly! Best band ever, IMHO. I'll help you out - The Beatles song is A Day in the Life. See that quoted section above - dragging a comb across his hair, headed downstairs, had a cup of coffee - all from the mid-section of the song. And the Lou Reed reference was the name Sylvia, the name of his ex-wife about whom he's written countless songs, mostly on the Blue Mask album. I was listening to those as I wrote it and it jumped in there. ;)

And here I was thinking the Lou Reed reference was the obvious 'Walk on the Wild Side', which seems to fit your characters as well. :)
That wouldn't be a bad one either, though really I'd think the song "Viscious" off the same Transformer album might be more appropriate, at least for Sebastion. ;)

Sorry I did not get that update up as planned yesterday. I got sidetracked later in the day. I am planning on this evening, though. Fingers are crossed. :D

LongestNightbanner.png

New York City, 1792

She took the steps slowly, her body weak and her energy low. She had done her work and Huard was now turned. Now she required a long sleep and then to feed. But she had to rest first. Selene entered the master bedroom of the brownstone and collapsed in a chair, looking out the window and into the night. She saw visions of Abraham Huard walking the streets, his nature unknown and his future uncertain. She saw him again, slumped in the very bed just across the room where she had caused him to take on this life. She’d sat with him after feeding him the first time such that he had her blood in him. He looked so helpless.

Burne-Jones-le-Vampire.jpg

He was not the first she’d turned and likely would not be the last. But he was the only one entrusted with the Eye. And she hoped he could keep it safe…away from her and anyone else that had chance to use it unwisely. She recognized even he might be corrupted. But his eyes…his soul. She’d seen inside the man. She’d tasted his life force as it slowly drifted from his body. This was a man she could trust…that she must trust.

“Sebastion Augustus.” She spoke without ever turning her head.

“My dear,” a voice called out behind her, smooth and calm. She smiled ever so slightly, the smell of him clearly now in the room. She felt his presence in her very energy, like the sweet rush of candy and she wanted to jump up from the chair and embrace him. But she would not.

“You should not have come. It is too late, my love.” She nearly whispered, conserving her strength and holding herself back.

“You have it…my love.” He answered mocking her. A hand lifted from his side and touched her neck, following the collar bone down to rest just above her breast.

Her answer did not please him and caused the hand to press, “I do not. And nor shall you.”

With all her strength, she grabbed his hand and used it to help her from the chair, spinning fast and pushing him away as she twisted his arm. He fell back but gained his balance and leered at her.

“Do not fight me, my dearest. You know I shall always win.”

She laughed out loud. “I seem to recall the last time we met; I left you deeply hurt in both body and soul.”

“Had I a soul, my dear, that may be true. But as I have not, it did not take. I know you love me. You always have. Even when we first met, under the shade of the arch…you were then mine, as you remain today.”

She backed away from him, getting closer to the window but Sebastion was fast and moved to block her. He grabbed her arms and held her tight, not letting go. She struggled at first but then gave in as he pulled her close. Their lips were not but inches apart and nearly met. But it was nothing but a tease. She bit him hard in the lip and left him to howl as she backed away towards the door.

He looked at her with seething eyes as he held his hand to his mouth. Pulling it away, he looked at the blood first before slowly licking it from his fingers as if he enjoyed it. “You fight me, but not near as much as you might usually do. Have you been up to no good, my dear? Is there a new pet?”

“I have many pets, as you well know. What should you care?”

“Because you are weak. It makes my work here that much more simple. You should have counted on my presence.”

“I have, Sebastion my love. And you shall never find that which you seek.”

He moved swiftly, crossing the room in seconds. The two tumbled from the room as they caught each other and hurtled down the stairs. She was able to roll away from him as they reached the bottom but he was up again and on top of her. He bit her harshly in the neck and she let out a scream. When he lifted his head, his mouth was covered in blood.

“Soon you shall have no strength at all, my love. Shall I kill you or let you live?”

She pulled her hand to her neck to cover the wound and smiled at him. “If you do not kill my, Sebastion, then I shall kill you. Better now than another lifetime of waiting.”

He lowered his mouth again, this time licking her lips before kissing her fully. It allowed her the chance to push him off of her with the little strength she had left in her body. Sebastion tumbled over and she moved with speed to the opposite room. But he followed. He was too quick for her in such a weakened state.

“You cannot run from me, Selene my love. I have followed you across the full of the Earth and will always catch you. I am stronger, faster and more skilled. While you hide, I hone my craft and gain more and more each day. All that holds me back is the lack of the Eye. You know I was entrusted with it. Why do you persist in blocking my path?”

As he spoke, he moved closer, but she had backed to the fireplace and when close enough, she struck out with a hot poker, cutting his leg badly and causing him to scream in pain. It was likely the first time someone had hurt him in a long while. It was not the first time she had hurt him, though it might be the last.

He reached out and grabbed her throat, pulling her to him and holding her just off the floor. Her air passage was blocked but it did nothing but cause her discomfort. She even smiled which caused him to rage.

“You mock me and you shall never do so again!” he screamed as he threw her across the room causing her head to crash into the wall.

Her body slumped to the floor. She did her best to stand but could not. Sebastion slowly crossed the room, savoring her pain as he did so. “If I cannot have you, then no man ever shall. And all your pets…whatever shall they do?”

“They…” she tried to say but could not finish. She looked up at his black eyes and hissed as he bent down to touch her again. She pulled away and used her fingers to try and crawl away. Sebastion held a piece of her dress in his hand, the deep folds making it easy to keep her from moving away from him. He pulled and she moved closer, her nails making deep gashes in the wooden floor. When he was on top again, he used the long nails of his fingers to strike at her, causing a deep gash in her side. Blood poured forth and covered the ground but yet she still did not give in when he yelled, “WHERE IS THE EYE?!”

“It will not be yours,” she said softly with what strength she had left. Her head slumped to the ground hitting with a thud.

Suddenly, Sebastion’s head turned. Something in the night had moved and he sensed it. There was another and he rushed to the hallway and threw the door open. But he saw nothing. The darkness of the night was all that greeted him. And when he turned back, Selene was missing. He started to rush back into the room but saw the hem of her dress disappear into the room upstairs out of the corner of his eye.

“You have strength yet!” he yelled as he took the stairs two steps at a time. When he turned the corner, he charged into the bedroom but it was empty. The window was open and yet again, all that greeted him was night. He stuck his head through the opening and looked down to the ground below.

Selene was gone.

into the night.
There's that line again :D

Also I see you used 'pets' so I guess my initial hypotheises wasn't that far off! But a lot of information has come forth, such as that they were lovers and that they have a rather abusive relationship...

I do wonder where she went.