• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those Germans are persistent. I half-expected them to interrupt that vampire with a jolly good ass-kicking.

"I vant to suck your . . ."

"Guten tag. Where is the book?"

"Vat?"

*bam* *pow* *stomp* *wink*

At least we have a name for our villain, this Hans Mueller, who I will insist on calling Hans Grubber for the remainder of this AAR. And poor Sam, getting owned over and over. I suppose that's noir style. He can't be down and out unless he's down and out.

I hope this ends with him totally beating on that idiot journalist.

You're moving right along, I see. An impressive series of updates.

I do have one little quibble: the description of the Germans as being of German extract. Perhaps you meant extraction? ;) Told you it was minor.

Finch made a better play of it this time; he had his gun and no-one was beaten up. But he really has to tighten up if he wants to get back into the race.

Now let's see what lies at that old address... with any luck it won't be a wide-awake Muller. :)

Fb-fb:

:eek:

And with that, a favorite character is etched in my brain. I could even see the smile, hear the tone...'twas perfect.

Subscribed...
TheExecuter
I am so glad that line worked. I was alittle worried it was too cliched. But it seemed perfect. Pleased to see Hans Muller has already attracted a cheering section. :D

A truly chilling and remarkable update! But nothing short of what we can expect from you coz1!

Keep up the amazing work!
Thank you, sir. I hope to keep it up. :)

Okay, I'll be ambitious and add another AAR to my to-read list. That makes two. Whew! Better sit down now and catch my breath! :p

Anyway, I've read the first couple of updates (three, to be exact). I'm liking the noir scenes. I haven't made my mind up yet about the 1792 scenes, but since I've only read the very first post set in that era, that is perhaps to be expected.

I hope my reading will outpace your writing, so that I'll be able to shortly catch up to the current point in the story.
Hello Suyvesant! Long time, no see, sir. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to see you stop by my AAR. You know how much I value your astute comments! I am trying not to get too far ahead but not knowing how often you stop by, I cannot promise you won't have massive updates when you get to it. I hope you keep reading, though, as I'd love to see what you think the rest of the way. As for the 1792 scenes, more follow in just a bit. Both are fun to write, though a different feel to some of them. But I've been itching to work in noir feel for a while, so this seemed a perfect fit.

coz1 you continue to inspire. I must confess that I don’t often get into horror but you’re doing an excellent job of it.
I've always been a fan of horror, though more in films than in literature. Hopefully some of that rubs off in the work. Thanks.

Those Germans are persistent. I half-expected them to interrupt that vampire with a jolly good ass-kicking.

"I vant to suck your . . ."

"Guten tag. Where is the book?"

"Vat?"

*bam* *pow* *stomp* *wink*

At least we have a name for our villain, this Hans Mueller, who I will insist on calling Hans Grubber for the remainder of this AAR. And poor Sam, getting owned over and over. I suppose that's noir style. He can't be down and out unless he's down and out.

I hope this ends with him totally beating on that idiot journalist.
:rofl: Very good, phargle. :D I'll have to keep that in mind for a later scene. Told you it would make a little more sense. Plus, they just like kicking a little butt every now and then.

As for Hans...well, you caught me. When I was thinking up names, I could not stop thinking about one of my top all time favorite villains, the aforementioned Hans Gruber. It just seemed to work. If I can, I'll work in this line - "Nice suit." ;)

You're moving right along, I see. An impressive series of updates.

I do have one little quibble: the description of the Germans as being of German extract. Perhaps you meant extraction? ;) Told you it was minor.

Finch made a better play of it this time; he had his gun and no-one was beaten up. But he really has to tighten up if he wants to get back into the race.

Now let's see what lies at that old address... with any luck it won't be a wide-awake Muller. :)
Damn and blast. Indeed, I'll have to fix that, Director. Thanks for the quibble. You know I need an editor in the worst way. Which is why, you are it. :p

As for the address, there's a little bit more before we get there...but I promise, we do get there.

And we take one more step right now...

LongestNightbanner.png

Boston, 1792

Temple Franklin watched Abraham Huard as they both sat in the front room of a book shop waiting on the proprietor. It just so happened that the proprietor of this particular book shop was also one of the highest officers of the land in the fledgling United States of America. Huard fiddled with a gold band around his left ring finger, turning it around and around with his thumb, obviously off in thought about something but he had not shared it with his traveling companion.

The two had traveled from London, docking in Boston harbor just yesterday. They had made the trip across the Atlantic in two and a half months, but there had not been much conversation as Abraham hardly left his room. The idea was a meet with Henry Knox, Secretary of War in the Washington administration. He’d had some knowledge of the elder Franklin’s work and Huard was keen to pick his brain. Unfortunately, Knox had not yet arrived from New York and it had been nearly three hours that the two men sat and wondered…Huard about the Eye and Temple Franklin about the terrifying things associated with it.

Finally, the door to the neat two story building opened with a jingle of a bell and a happy portly fellow entered. His cheeks were such that they nearly enveloped his face, his chin two and three times rolling over towards his neck. But his ruddy nose and cheery eyes betrayed any sense that his size meant he was a rough sort. And his large body never did cause anyone to thing him tough. That was in his mind, a quality that to a man, one could not deny.

knox.jpg

“Blasted winter never leaves us!” He announced to no one in particular as he walked from the door to the front desk, dropping a heavy bag to the ground and his hat upon the counter. He looked around and only then noticed the two men waiting to see him, Abraham Huard first to stand with a ready smile on his face.

“Secretary Knox,” Temple Franklin offered as he too stood and stretched out his hand. “Excellent to see you once again. Temple Franklin, sir.”

Knox laughed and offered a hearty shake, “Mr. Franklin…what an immense pleasure to see you once again. I have not seen you since you left our shores. Did you think I would forget you, sir?”

“I imagine a man as yourself meets with plenty of gentleman in a lifetime, and I should not think it a sin to forget a name.’

“But not you, sir!” Knox clapped Temple on the back. “Never you. Nor your grandfather. The entire clan, in fact…not one to forget, certainly. But you have brought us a friend, it seems.”

Knox took his arm from Temple’s shoulder and offered his hand, “Henry Knox, sir…at your service.”

Abraham shook it with eagerness as he looked from Franklin back to Knox, “I am Abraham Huard, sir. Come from London. You may recall we exchanged some letters just after the war.”

“Indeed, I do Mr. Huard. I may still have them somewhere in this dust trap. Or in the other shop. I’ve lost count of where all my correspondence is. But I do recall. Franklin thought well of you and I trust Mr. Franklin.”

Temple smiled at the warm mention of his grandfather and attempted to play intermediary, “Secretary Knox…”

“Please…let us not stand on so much ceremony. It is Boston, after all. Not New York. And certainly not that blasted swamp they wish to house us. Please, sir…call me Henry.”

“Of course, Henry…well…Mr. Huard has traveled quite a long as you can see and I promised him you might do him the honor of a visit, if you’ve enough time.”

“I am running later than I would like, good Temple, but if you wish me to have word with yon Huard, then I shall be at your service. Mr. Huard…” Knox stretched his arm to point to the stairs, “If you would follow me through the gauntlet of tricky step or two, I would be most welcome to hear you out.”

Henry Knox went first climbing a steep and rather narrow staircase. Not only was the wood seemingly weak and brittle, but each step Knox took put tremendous strain upon it such that it might collapse at a moments notice. But Huard followed as he truly wished to speak with this man. Temple waited a bit before following after, likely a wise move on his part.

Once on the second level, Huard looked out over rows of books. There were only two walls with the rest of the loft overlooking the shop, but a comfortable looking couch was inviting and he took a seat. “Mr. Knox…it is gracious of you to see me on such short notice. Mr. Franklin and I were told you would be through today and I said to myself, ‘What luck.’ I wish I brought you a pleasant conversation as thanks for seeing me, but I do not.”

Knox sat behind a desk, squeezing his frame into a wooden rolling chair; similar to the one Jefferson had given him in New York. He puzzled over the remark for a moment but then smiled his large grin, “Given my job, sir, my conversation is hardly ever pleasant so fret not on my account. What have you to say?”

Temple Franklin interrupted, giving Huard a quick glance, “I think I might be able to get the Secretary up to date, Abraham. It might sound better.”

Abraham shrugged his shoulders in compliance and Temple took the cue to catch Knox up with what Huard and Franklin had previously discussed. When he was through, Huard was shocked to see that Knox did not have a disapproving look on his face. Nor a disbelieving one. In fact, he had listened intently as Temple had offered every bit they knew, never once flinching or looking amazed.

Reaching down into a drawer, Knox pulled out a pipe and stuffed it with tobacco using a beefy finger. After giving it a light, he puffed on it a few times before giving answer. “It seems to me you have followed exactly in your grandfather’s work, young Temple. And good on you for it.”

Slightly shocked that Knox did not find this at all fanciful, Temple had to ask, “Do you say that you believe all this, sir?”

“Indeed I do, Temple. Indeed I do. I firmly believe they walk among us as we speak.”

Huard looked to Temple with serious eyes, “As I said, Mr. Franklin.”

“But how can it be? I truly mean no disrespect, Mr. Huard. But I have kept my silence over what seems a fantastic tale. I set up this meeting so that I may convince you that no such creature exists. And now I hear this?” Temple did not wish to question these men, but he remained in doubt.

“Temple,” Knox began again, “I spent many a night reading stories when I was a child. It is obvious my love of books. And in many of them are stories which talk of these very same creatures. Not but a hundred years ago, our own people were overtaken with zeal against God knows what just to our north. I was raised to believe in reason, sir. And my reason tells me that something is out there.”

“It is a pleasure to hear you speak so openly about this, sir,” Abraham turned his gaze to Knox, “Though I would not speak it so loudly.”

“Please, Mr. Huard…I would not have the position I maintain had I loose lips. But I can tell you, I have heard stories…recent stories that cause me to consider this. In truth, I tell you there has been an outbreak among the slaves in New York. A mysterious illness, they call it. But the wounds are always the same. Like an animal had attacked them.”

“A tell tale sign, surely.” Huard pointed his finger in the air in agreement.

“Indeed, Mr. Huard. And what is more, a similar outbreak has occurred to the west in the tribes. I cannot explain it with anything modern doctors can tell us. And I’ve spent plenty of time in the wilderness of this country. I’ve seen no beast to leave such a trace. Either we’ve a new disease on our hands or something more sinister is at play. I am inclined to believe the latter.”

“But Henry…Mr. Huard…surely this cannot be. I believe we have a serious issue on our hands in regards to this…what did you call it?” Temple looked to Huard.

“The Eye of the Dragon,” Huard replied calmly.

“This Eye…that I can consider…but this other…” Temple still could not completely give over his mind to the notion.

“Ahhh, but Temple…the Eye and the other have much to do with one another. You cannot separate the two, in truth. You’ll find your grandfather’s research on this quite helpful. The Eye is believed to be a relic of sorts. One might say it goes back to the very first one.”

“The first one?”

“The first vampire, Temple. Who knows how old that is? But it is easy to see why they may be searching for it. And more reason that we find it first.” Knox tapped the pipe on his desk and looked squarely into the young man’s eyes.

“Mr. Knox,” Huard attempted to give Temple time while he searched for more information, “You speak as if you have intimate knowledge…more so than I previously had thought.”

“Indeed, Mr. Huard. I have spent some time looking into this myself. Once it reached my desk with the tribes, I had little choice. The man you want is in New York. He was also friendly with Benjamin. His name is Scott…Ebenezer is the first name, if I recall correctly. He must be in his eighties by now but I recall he was instrumental to Benjamin when it came to this field. He’d know what to look for and perhaps even where.”

“I may ask why you yourself have not sought out the man,” Huard questioned.

“A man in my position? Looking after some story like this? I could not show my face in polite society, sir. But I must say what luck it is that another, such as yourself, has come along to do it for me.”

Knox stood and pulled a bottle of whisky from behind a stack of books on a neighboring table. Placing it down upon the table in front of Temple and Abraham, he stood tall and laughed causing his massive frame to shake and jiggle. He then looked at his two guests with a large smile.

“Let us toast to good fortune.”

So far, I'm managing to outpace your production. Of course, reading is always easier than writing, so I have an advantage there. :)

Now, it seems that you're jumping around a bit in time, not just between the 1792 and 1938 timelines, but also within those eras. Am I correct in reading it that Abraham Huart's unfortunate encounter with the nameless evil in the very first post occurs before the meeting in London with Franklin's grandson? And the vampire/zombie creature (zampier? Vombire?) rising from the grave, is that a flashback? I'm trying to piece some things together, but I'll refrain from playing my hand until I read the remaining updates (I was just introduced to Hans Gruber - I mean Herr Muller - I happened to read Phargle's comments about the asskicking Germans, which makes it hard to keep an appropriately straight face when reading about the vile Nazis :)).

With a few posts under my belt, both timelines feel more fleshed out. Both are nice places to dwell in, I'm enjoying the ride.

Excellent as always coz. With an ally like Knox, who believes what Huard is saying, I think Abraham has a much better chance of finding out what is happening now he has the contacts that Henry Knox will no doubt know. Better get to this Scott bloke soon though, and find out just to what extent Franklin knew what was going on. Though I'd be interested to see just who Miss Sullivan is working for, as I feel that information would be key to finding out the fate of the Eye...

Stuyvesant mentioned an interesting point there. Hadn't really noticed or remembered but rereading the first post I do wonder. Is this intentional?

Huard is off to a good start, and it's lucky for him that Knox is a fellow believer. Up in that corner of the States the locals aren't always too keen on people rambling on about the supernatural - but then, I guess Salem was a hundred years earlier - a far less enlightened time... :)

I've revisited one of the earlier posts, the one describing the aftermath of Abraham Huard's encounter with the vampire. Two things stand out to me:
She bent down and offered a cup of warm liquid, tasting of iron on his tongue, but he accepted it freely and drank as if quenching a thirst.
and
His neck began to throb and an aching feeling seemed to take over his body. The man looked up to her and asked with questioning eyes, “Am I dead?”

“You will be,” she replied and added an extra smile.
The first is a pretty clear hint that, having been drained by a vampire, Abraham is now one himself. If he's not drinking blood, I'm not an absent-for-far-too-long poster.

From the second quote, I assume that the lady's promise (with a smile) of Abraham's future death is a positive thing. That is to say, he either still is human enough, or will have a chance to redeem his humanity, to die, to not be condemned to an eternity of undeath.

Now, for me, the question remains how I should place the various 1792 updates chronologically. Are we progressing chronologically, or are the first couple of '92 updates a flash-forward, to occur when Abraham Huard and Temple Franklin journey to New York to meet Ebenezer?
They had made the trip across the Atlantic in two and a half months, but there had not been much conversation as Abraham hardly left his room.
That little tidbit makes me think that the events in New York in the first two posts have already occured. It suggests that Abraham can't be out in the daylight too much...

Methinks Abraham is headed for New York, hoping for a rematch with his nemesis. His quest for the Eye could serve two purposes. Clearly, he wants to keep it out of the vampire's hands for the good of the world, but I wonder if the quest has a more personal urgency, if Abraham needs the Eye to save his humanity.

Of course, all my speculation could be miles off the mark, but it's fun nonetheless to theorize. :D

And that, ladies and gentleman, is what we like to call an A+ comment, vintage Stuyvesant, and an example to us all.

Fb-fb:

So far, I'm managing to outpace your production. Of course, reading is always easier than writing, so I have an advantage there. :)

Now, it seems that you're jumping around a bit in time, not just between the 1792 and 1938 timelines, but also within those eras. Am I correct in reading it that Abraham Huart's unfortunate encounter with the nameless evil in the very first post occurs before the meeting in London with Franklin's grandson? And the vampire/zombie creature (zampier? Vombire?) rising from the grave, is that a flashback? I'm trying to piece some things together, but I'll refrain from playing my hand until I read the remaining updates (I was just introduced to Hans Gruber - I mean Herr Muller - I happened to read Phargle's comments about the asskicking Germans, which makes it hard to keep an appropriately straight face when reading about the vile Nazis :)).

With a few posts under my belt, both timelines feel more fleshed out. Both are nice places to dwell in, I'm enjoying the ride.
That is great news, Stuyvesant. :) I am jumping around a bit and I'll explain that a little better below.

Excellent as always coz. With an ally like Knox, who believes what Huard is saying, I think Abraham has a much better chance of finding out what is happening now he has the contacts that Henry Knox will no doubt know. Better get to this Scott bloke soon though, and find out just to what extent Franklin knew what was going on. Though I'd be interested to see just who Miss Sullivan is working for, as I feel that information would be key to finding out the fate of the Eye...
Indeed, you may very well be correct. Won't tip my hand just yet on that. But Knox is very much a good ally and if nothing else, allows me to write for him having wanted to for some time. he'll have a limited role but I enjoy his scenes.

Knox is one of the more forgotten fathers, unfortunately, as far as I can tell, for all that he has a big box of gold named after him. But it is good to have friends in high places.
He really is an impressive man. Very much self made and I'd think indispensable to Washington during the war. I'm a big fan of his and always key on his moments whenever I read revolutionary war history.

Stuyvesant mentioned an interesting point there. Hadn't really noticed or remembered but rereading the first post I do wonder. Is this intentional?
It is certainly intentional to jump around in time. Check below for more on that.

Knox. . . Grubber. . . hmmm, hmmmm.

I . . no, it need not be said.

Perhaps Henry Knox will find an appropriately safe place to store the eye. And I dig the character of Temple Franklin, if only for the entirety of his name.
I do like Temple as well. I admit, I am learning more about him now than I knew before, but he was an interesting sort - a bastard to his grandfather's bastard son. And Knox...and every one else...would have to find the Eye first before they can store it. ;)

Oooh! Another excellent chapter, I'm just as intrigued as always! :D
Thank you, demokratickid. I appreciate that. :)

Oh, it seems that Knox is on to something. Though I am interested in the tribes. I wonder if it is an indian vampire :D
That would be interesting. However, no. He's not an Indian. But Knox did have some oversee of them during his tenure as Sec. of war.

Huard is off to a good start, and it's lucky for him that Knox is a fellow believer. Up in that corner of the States the locals aren't always too keen on people rambling on about the supernatural - but then, I guess Salem was a hundred years earlier - a far less enlightened time... :)

I've revisited one of the earlier posts, the one describing the aftermath of Abraham Huard's encounter with the vampire. Two things stand out to me:
She bent down and offered a cup of warm liquid, tasting of iron on his tongue, but he accepted it freely and drank as if quenching a thirst.
and
His neck began to throb and an aching feeling seemed to take over his body. The man looked up to her and asked with questioning eyes, “Am I dead?”

“You will be,” she replied and added an extra smile.
The first is a pretty clear hint that, having been drained by a vampire, Abraham is now one himself. If he's not drinking blood, I'm not an absent-for-far-too-long poster.

From the second quote, I assume that the lady's promise (with a smile) of Abraham's future death is a positive thing. That is to say, he either still is human enough, or will have a chance to redeem his humanity, to die, to not be condemned to an eternity of undeath.

Now, for me, the question remains how I should place the various 1792 updates chronologically. Are we progressing chronologically, or are the first couple of '92 updates a flash-forward, to occur when Abraham Huard and Temple Franklin journey to New York to meet Ebenezer?
They had made the trip across the Atlantic in two and a half months, but there had not been much conversation as Abraham hardly left his room.
That little tidbit makes me think that the events in New York in the first two posts have already occured. It suggests that Abraham can't be out in the daylight too much...

Methinks Abraham is headed for New York, hoping for a rematch with his nemesis. His quest for the Eye could serve two purposes. Clearly, he wants to keep it out of the vampire's hands for the good of the world, but I wonder if the quest has a more personal urgency, if Abraham needs the Eye to save his humanity.

Of course, all my speculation could be miles off the mark, but it's fun nonetheless to theorize. :D
You definitely have it on the blood angle. I am slowly revealing the "transformation" process for lack of a better word. I promise to make it more clear as we move ahead. I wanted to look at the actual process itself a little and focus on what it really meant to Huard the man.

As for her promise, that is an interesting question. It is clear what she is promising once you are aware of it, but one must then wonder - the promise of life by dying...and then the ramifications of that...is that any positive promise at all? I'll look at that as we look at Huard further.

Your considerations of the trip show just what an observant reader you are, however I must admit, I did not mean anything by it more than Huard's desire to find out as much from the book as possible. And perhaps a disconnect with Temple given the younger man's struggle with the truth. However, you are very correct that there is jumping around in time. The first post is not in chronological order. I did not want to mess around with specific dates in this AAR and I promise the order will become plain once I've given enough information, but let's just say that the Huard with Temple is a different man than the Huard we are reading about "waking up." I've a few more posts in that bit so it is not quite clear yet to the reader. Hopefully it keeps you coming back for more. ;)

I am glad you are theorizing and I will try to do my best to make things apparent in good time. But I can't give too much away. :D

And that, ladies and gentleman, is what we like to call an A+ comment, vintage Stuyvesant, and an example to us all.
I could not agree with stnylan more here! The above is precisely why I love Stuyvesant as a reader. I can only hope I can keep him as one.

And so, back to work. There is a smaller portion ready and then we'll get to a larger scene this weekend. Thanks for reading and commenting, folks! :)

LongestNightbanner.png

Boston/New York Post Road, 1792

Night had come on them quickly and Abraham Huard began to worry that they should stop for the night but they were in the middle of nowhere. Temple Franklin sped the horses along, trying to make the quickest time possible. A good moon helped alleviate the darkness somewhat, but the chill in the air did nothing for the men’s spirits. High above them, clouds rolled by in the night sky, carving shadows on the ground below. In those shadows lay greater darkness still and neither men were aware of it…yet.

Suddenly, what seemed a strong gust of wind nearly caused the carriage to flip but Franklin was strong with the reins and steered them back on course.

“What was that?” Franklin looked to his traveling companion with some worry.

Huard arched his neck to look up in the sky and then behind them. “Ghastly weather…nothing more. Drive on.”

Temple Franklin did exactly as ordered as he had little desire to be out in this darkness. The trees seemed to sing as the wind blew the branches from side to side, leaves on the ground catching the wind and taking a ride often whipping past the men’s faces. Another strong gust came from the other side of the carriage, and this time it knocked the men off course. Temple did his best to control the horses as they turned off into the woods, stumbling over a small tree and bringing the whole thing to a stop. Huard was nearly thrown from his seat but had the presence of mind to hold on tight.

“We must get them back on the road!” He announced as both men jumped to the ground and pulled the horses to direct them back. It took some time and Abraham could not but help feel the cold air around him such was the chill. In fact, it seemed colder than when they were rushing through the wind. The cold seemed to hover around him, actively freezing his bones causing small sharp pains like an icy pins.

They were only minutes in moving back to the road but even Temple could feel something different in the air. He looked up and saw the moon shining rather brightly over their heads. But the ground seemed to him dark as pitch. It sent a shiver through his spine and he shook it off as he climbed back into the driver’s seat.

“Come on, Mr. Huard…we must be quick about it.”

But Huard could not stop looking around. He was sure there was something there, as if hiding behind a tree or several paces back hidden in a shadow. But he could see nothing. It was only two men, two horses and one carriage…and the night around them.

moonwoods.jpg

“Right!” he announced as he forced himself to snap out of it. “Let’s go,” he called out as climbed on the carriage and the two men moved once again. They would hopefully be in New York by the morning and his first action would be to look up this Ebenezer Scott. With an introduction from the United States Secretary of war, he’d surely gain entry. The question was, what did the man know?

Abraham Huard allowed his hand to rest on his leather bag strapped over his shoulder. He let it sit there for a moment as he felt the book inside. Between what he already knew, what he’d learned from Franklin and the agreement with Knox, Huard knew that he was entering into something more dark and frightening then anything he’d ever encountered. Another chill seemed to come over his body as he thought about and he finally allowed his adrenaline to take over,

“On, Franklin! Hurry now!”

Last edited:
The update is chilling. Your choice of a picture is particularly apt, as it captures the coldness and crispness conveyed by the text.

The update is chilling. Your choice of a picture is particularly apt, as it captures the coldness and crispness conveyed by the text.

Agreed

Agreed

:rofl: I couldn't resist. Excellent work, sir! :D

Excellent, simply excellent!