• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Caught up at last. More of the pieces are in play, now. I agree with the suggestion that our two present-day hunters will find something or someone of interest at the 'old' address. Must be a pretty famously run-down area if Sam knows immediately that it was once the home of the rich and famous. Perhaps he has a personal connection nearby.

It doesn't speak well for Sam that he let the two of them be beaten up so easily. Perhaps he'll be more aware of the danger now, and take precautions.

In the previous post, Huard reveals quite a lot to Temple Franklin. Is this because he believes Benjamin Franklin might have made some confidences, or is he just certain that Temple will never talk?

Mmmm, ze Germans. Without being critical of the writing, that scene for me was amusing because I read it as being utterly random. It was like having a totally serious story, like Passion of the Christ, and then having a couple of guys show up out of the blue:

"Bist du Herr Nazareth?"

"Yea, that is unto me; who wants to know?"

"Gekicken deine ass!"

It made me smile. I'd say every story needs more random asskickings by Germans, and swear here and now to try to do exactly that in at least one AAR I write:

Solomon said:
The magnitude of anguish washing over me in cascading waves of eternal pity threatens my sanity, and all I see is her; also, yesterday some sausage-vendors showed up and beat my ass silly. S.

Regarding your AAR, the false bottom of the the drawer was so obvious that I am appalled Sam didn't see it himself the first time, but he may have been distracted by the smart-alec reporter. At least he had the sense to put two and two together and go back in to find what he'd missed the first time. Actually, in that sense, this AAR reads a bit like a roleplaying game, with the players being put back on course by the GM with a sensible application of ze Germans.

This is brilliant Coz. The writing is superb and the story is exciting. While I have no energy left today to conjure up a theory, this has really left me thinking, especially the last two chapters. I am looking forward to seeing this pan out further!

Fb-fb:

A good old ransacked office, always an iconic scene of such noir style stories. That was an interesting one and certainly one of the most fortuitous instances of being beaten up.
Indeed it was. I wasn't sure how I was going to proceed through this scene and needed the shake up. I'll go ahead and say, I'm not sure it worked as well as I wished it had. But it got the job done.

Caught up at last. More of the pieces are in play, now. I agree with the suggestion that our two present-day hunters will find something or someone of interest at the 'old' address. Must be a pretty famously run-down area if Sam knows immediately that it was once the home of the rich and famous. Perhaps he has a personal connection nearby.

It doesn't speak well for Sam that he let the two of them be beaten up so easily. Perhaps he'll be more aware of the danger now, and take precautions.

In the previous post, Huard reveals quite a lot to Temple Franklin. Is this because he believes Benjamin Franklin might have made some confidences, or is he just certain that Temple will never talk?
Good question about Temple. I played it as though Huard could trust Franklin. I did not make it specific, but the two men know each other from previous dealings and I'm not quite through with Temple just yet.

And I agree about the smack down - he has been taking this case a bit lightly and is starting to realize there are some real stakes involved. ;)

It's the eye of the dragon. :p
Nice nice, evil nazis in this aar also?
Or is germany even united, if a eu3 game is behind this?
Well, could I really write something based in 1938 and NOT have Nazis? I mean, really! As for Germany united and such, let me wait on answering that. It's a bit more complicated and I'll try to get it out in the story.

Mmmm, ze Germans. Without being critical of the writing, that scene for me was amusing because I read it as being utterly random. It was like having a totally serious story, like Passion of the Christ, and then having a couple of guys show up out of the blue:

"Bist du Herr Nazareth?"

"Yea, that is unto me; who wants to know?"

"Gekicken deine ass!"

It made me smile. I'd say every story needs more random asskickings by Germans, and swear here and now to try to do exactly that in at least one AAR I write:

Regarding your AAR, the false bottom of the the drawer was so obvious that I am appalled Sam didn't see it himself the first time, but he may have been distracted by the smart-alec reporter. At least he had the sense to put two and two together and go back in to find what he'd missed the first time. Actually, in that sense, this AAR reads a bit like a roleplaying game, with the players being put back on course by the GM with a sensible application of ze Germans.
That's funny, phargle. :D You know, you may be right? In truth, I didn't feel comfortable with the manner in which I used them but I think I can still make it work. Initially, that was intended to be somewhat later but I realized I needed a way to get them back upstairs...in a sense, just like a GM. But it does seem to come out of nowhere. I don't mind that slight comedic touch even if it's not intended. And I have a subsequent scene that may explain it a bit better. Still - not my best work.

This is brilliant Coz. The writing is superb and the story is exciting. While I have no energy left today to conjure up a theory, this has really left me thinking, especially the last two chapters. I am looking forward to seeing this pan out further!
Excellent to see you're on board, robou! I appreciate the compliment and hope I can keep up the high standards it appears I've set for myself. ;)

To all - Christmas has got me running around like a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest - too much to do and in not enough time. And I waited to late to do my shopping. :eek:o I've got dinners for the next three nights, it seems like, though I may be able to get back to work on Christmas day. Unless I can get something banged out tonight when I get home (not likely but possible) it'll have to wait until after Christmas.

Thanks to all of you reading and commenting! It really does help and is very much appreciated. A very Merry Christmas to you all!! :)

LongestNightbanner.png

New York City, 1792

It was dark. Blackness seeped into his eye sockets and pervaded his senses. He could not adjust his vision to see anything in front of him. Was he blind? He felt he was on his back and tried to move. At first, there was little give but soon he felt some slight movement. It felt as if he were trying to move through water…water much heavier than himself. And it was thick. There was a substance to it. Not liquid…

He tried to breath. It came to him with little difficulty. He smelled and found it a bold, rich smell…earthy with a slight mustiness, but heavy in some lively compound. He listened and heard nothing…and yet something. Movement of the slightest sort. And far above him, it seemed…a gust of cool, wet wind. But he could not feel it on his face and began to work his way up to find it.

Buried.jpg

His hands felt a thick, wet texture packed deeply around him…dirt…soil…earth. He kept moving, pressing his hands upward and digging…clawing as if to reach that height. Soon, he felt the soil give way and his arm burst into the night air, the wetness gripping it and holding on, dripping down to the earthy mound from whence it came. Another arm burst through and this one clawed around, desperately looking for something to hold onto. Soon, both arms were gripping at the packed dirt and pulling…pulling…pulling the body from the ground and into the night.

He lay still, naked and alone, his face nearly buried in the muck but the coolness of it felt good. His back felt the light rain drops from the late night shower and he could feel each one as it grew in pace and rhythm. Somewhere, far away, a thunder clap crashed to match a brilliant display of light in the sky. The man did not move though the sound appeared as close to him as his own ear. It did not hurt. In fact, nothing did.

He tried to recall back…where was he before…why was he here? He could not remember. All he knew was a feeling deep inside him. It was not despair. It was not loneliness. It was neither fear nor shock. It was…

…Hunger.

Last edited:
Cool. He's a zombie of sorts now? Or the regular vampire? Guess we'll see within the next few updates.

*shivers*

This is not a good AAR to read at night :D

Speaking of hungry I think I am...

Anyways, we know this zombie doesn't destroy the world as 1938 still exists!

Very nice Coz. Felt like a whole Noir film unfolding before my eyes, then came the whole vampire angle :S it does not help that I am reading this at night. Nice! I like the whole detective/vampire angle, and this search for the gem reminds me a lot of Indiana jones. Vampires + Indiana Jones + Film noir = win. It's great ot be reading one of your AARs again.

This is exactly the sort of tale that should be read at night - a night with a heavy fog with tendrils that curl in the light of the lamps, with an occasional gust of chill northerly air to cause the fire in the heath to sputter and threaten to go out.

It seems clear that his troubles start now.

Hmm, so somewhere between a Vampire and a Zombie, but until we know who this and the vampire earlier was, I fear we will not be able to comprehend what is happening. I'm sure both Sam and Abraham will help us discover what is going on...

You mentioned earlier that you had more work to do on the “atmosphere” of the story. Well don’t worry about that, you’ve created an excellent back drop to the story.

Of course I’d have to admit I have a soft spot for mysterious books containing secrets. :D

Now the question is are the two beefy Germans Nazis or some other lower life form that are here to plague Sam?

I like Sam he’s capable of getting the crap beat out of him but still comes up thinking. Jasper isn’t too bad either. Hope he sticks around.;)

Joe

Excellent chapter here, it appears as if our friend has turned to the *Dark* side.

Great work as usual!

Having recently read The Maltese Falcon, I have my suspicions about this dame who hired Sam, although my logical sense says that would be too cliche.

Quite good stuff, the Eye of the Dragon is a great stone to be running around after.

Fb-fb:

Cool. He's a zombie of sorts now? Or the regular vampire? Guess we'll see within the next few updates.
You'll see...eventually. ;) I think you are on the right track.

Oh! Creepy... A guess this makes him more than a vampire now... :D
Hmmm...more on that later. ;)

*shivers*

This is not a good AAR to read at night :D

Speaking of hungry I think I am...

Anyways, we know this zombie doesn't destroy the world as 1938 still exists!
I'm glad it had a ghostly feel. In certain elements I am definitely going for spooky so it is working. And no, the world still exists in '38. :D

Hunger, or Hungary? :p
Btw, those fingers made me think of mushrooms. :eek:o
Looking at it, they look that way to me too. :) I really wanted an arm coming out fo the ground but couldn't find it. Strange - so many horror films have used it. I like the fingers though. Gets the point across. :D

Very nice Coz. Felt like a whole Noir film unfolding before my eyes, then came the whole vampire angle :S it does not help that I am reading this at night. Nice! I like the whole detective/vampire angle, and this search for the gem reminds me a lot of Indiana jones. Vampires + Indiana Jones + Film noir = win. It's great ot be reading one of your AARs again.
Great to have you on board, TreizeV! I always value your comments. There is definitely some adventure to be had with this AAR, but I am enjoying writing in the noir moments, and as you can see - having my fun with the creepier aspects. If I can get as much darkness into this as you have in Resistance: Fall of Man - An Oral History, then I am doing a good job.

This is exactly the sort of tale that should be read at night - a night with a heavy fog with tendrils that curl in the light of the lamps, with an occasional gust of chill northerly air to cause the fire in the heath to sputter and threaten to go out.

It seems clear that his troubles start now.
You definitely got the mood there. And yes...troubles are just beginning for our "waking" man.

Hmm, so somewhere between a Vampire and a Zombie, but until we know who this and the vampire earlier was, I fear we will not be able to comprehend what is happening. I'm sure both Sam and Abraham will help us discover what is going on...
I admit, I am sketching it with some secrets still in the bag so it may be a little hard to place everything together, but I promise it is there for a reason. If only I could churn it out faster. :rolleyes:

You mentioned earlier that you had more work to do on the “atmosphere” of the story. Well don’t worry about that, you’ve created an excellent back drop to the story.

Of course I’d have to admit I have a soft spot for mysterious books containing secrets. :D

Now the question is are the two beefy Germans Nazis or some other lower life form that are here to plague Sam?

I like Sam he’s capable of getting the crap beat out of him but still comes up thinking. Jasper isn’t too bad either. Hope he sticks around.;)

Joe
How could I know Joe likes mysteries? ;) You keep me honest now. If it doesn't work, I need to know and you know your way around a mystery. As for Sam's plagues...well, you know there has to be more than one. A whole bunch of them, to be exact. :D

I'll try to keep Jasper, but you know how I tend to knock my characters off. ;)

Excellent chapter here, it appears as if our friend has turned to the *Dark* side.

Great work as usual!
Indeed. The question will be, how dark? That's going to be a struggle for him, I expect.

Having recently read The Maltese Falcon, I have my suspicions about this dame who hired Sam, although my logical sense says that would be too cliche.

Quite good stuff, the Eye of the Dragon is a great stone to be running around after.
I have actually never read that book but have watched the movie many times. Just watched it the other week. And you'd be right about that. No woman that comes into a detective's office can be on the up and up. It's a rule, by God.

Thanks for reading, JP. The name of the gemstone is actually part of a story I wrote over twenty years ago when I had no idea what I was doing. Glad to be able to bring the name back and see what I can do now. :)

To all - thank again for reading and commenting. You know how much I like a good comment. Hope the holidays are treating you well and ready for a slam-banger tonight. Yours truly has a cold but there is still some bubbly waiting for me. I was able to crank out a bit tonight so hopefully it works. More on the weekend, I hope. Happy New Years, everyone! And here's to a hell of a 2009! :)

LongestNightbanner.png

New York City, 1938

The silent car ride had given Sam plenty of time to think. Jasper White offered an extra dose of notifying sighs but got nothing in return. Sam wanted to know what this gemstone had to do with the professor. That’s why he was hired. The gemstone had something to do with it, he knew, but he wanted answers about West’s whereabouts and why two thugs smacked him. He felt at his jaw to remind of the fact.

Jasper had the book and he leafed through it a little at a time. It was as if cramming for a test – so much information – and the more he read, the more he felt was ahead of him. But it was a link…a clue, even if Sam didn’t see it. But he too wanted to know what happened to the professor. He was the only man that could explain the secrets the book held. He was the only man that could unlock the clues, if there were sufficient clues to go by.

“You think that notebook gives us anything?” Sam finally asked looking out the window of the taxi cab.

Jasper laughed out loud and stared at Sam. The exasperated frown he received made him take a different tone. “Sam…we have discovered…found at least…a book that answers many questions about the Eye.”

“What the hell is this thing, anyway?” Sam fished through his pocket and found a pack of smokes. He lit one and blew out the smoke with a heavy sigh as Jasper replied.

“The Eye of the Dragon is a priceless piece that dates back to at least the 16th century, Sam. It is sought after by any powerful group as it has a cost above anything you can imagine. Especially for Hitler. That explains the beating we received today.”

“What? You sayin’ this goes that far?” Sam let another stream of smoke fill the taxi’s backseat.

“I don’t know, Sam. But it can’t be a shock to connect two Germans with Nazis if this was what they were after.”

The car came to an abrupt stop and Sam quickly exited the cab leaving Jasper to pay and bring the notebook. The two moved into Sam’s office building and did not say a word until they were safely inside. His secretary, Minnie Brighton rushed to Sam and grabbed his face, “What happened?”

“Ran into a couple of bruisers and my face taught ‘em a lesson.” Sam winced when she touched one of his cuts.

Jasper coughed slightly and tried to hide the notebook behind his back. “We were set upon by two thuggish men of German extraction. It seems they were looking for what we were looking for.”

Min shot Jasper a quick look and asked Sam, “Well who found it?”

“We got it…whatever it is. But don’t be surprised if they come looking for it again.”

“Well we should hide the notebook if they should,” Jasper announced as he let himself into Sam’s private office. Sam moved quickly to follow him leaving Min rushing behind him.

“Sam Finch…you stand still and let me take care of those.”

“No time, doll…whatever this is, I got to take a look.” Sam moved some papers on his desk and motioned for Jasper to put the book down. “Let’s see what we got.”

Before Jasper could answer, there was a knock on the office door. Minnie turned quickly and moved to shut the door to Sam’s office but it was too late. Three men walked in and moved towards her, two of them in a hurry. They pushed Minnie back and set her by Jasper and made way for the third man who walked in with perfect calm.

“Mr. Finch, I take it?” the man asked in a heavy German accent as he surveyed the room from ceiling to floor and then sat in the chair in front of him.

Sam snorted and answered yes, eyeing the two larger men by the door. “What the hell is this? You come rushing into a man’s office like this…”

“I do apologize, Mr. Finch. But you see…the matter is quite urgent.” His thin face made his eyebrows and cheeks that much more pronounced as he offered Sam a wink and a smile.

“Don’t give you cause to come rushing in here like this,” Sam stood his ground.

“Please, Mr. Finch. Sit. Let us talk. I don’t suppose you have a drink for an old man.”

Sam looked around again and Jasper gave him a slight nod as if to acquiesce. He sat down in the chair but did not offer a drink, instead shifting his eyes back to the notebook lying in his open top drawer. He and Jasper had time enough to sweep it in there just before the men rushed into his office. With slow determination, he slyly tried to shut the drawer as he sat.

“Why don’t you tell me what it is you want, Mister?” Sam answered trying to cover for himself.

“It has come to my attention that you have possession of a book. It is a book I most dearly would like to own. I wonder if we might make a deal.” He sat holding a cane in his left hand as his right covered its top. The smile never left his face.

“What if I was to tell you I ain’t got no book and why don’t you shove off?” Sam never let the frown leave his.

“I’d say you were lying, Mr. Finch. I know you have the book. It is a matter of what cost the trade. What must I do for you to relieve yourself of it?”

Sam had kept his hands on top of the desk the whole time but relaxed and sat back in his chair, letting his hands hold onto his suspenders. He finally moved the frown from his face and gave a slight wink to the gentleman. “If it’s a barter you want, I might be able to oblige. What do you have to offer?”

The man also let his features change and a disappointed look came over his face. “Come, come, Mr. Finch. Let us not quarrel. You know as well as I that I could easily take the book from you as much as pay for it. I should think any offer I allow reasonable enough.”

“But you ain’t offered nothin’,” Sam answered as he stood quickly and pulled his gun from his shoulder holster. “I don’t think you’ll be taking anything.”

In drawing weapons, Sam was not alone. Both of the two men standing by the door also drew and for the moment, it was a question of who might fire first. The third man stopped them.

“Lower your weapons,” he eyed the two with anger. “Remain under control.”

“Yeah…you heard him, lower them guns.” Sam smiled thinking just for the moment that he had the upper hand.

“Indeed, Mr. Finch. Let us keep this civil. Please lower your weapon as well?”

Jasper had moved towards the two men in an effort to relieve them of their guns but one of them pulled him close while the other moved towards Minnie. The third man then turned to Sam and smiled.

“Victories can be so fleeting. Can they not?”

Sam kept his gun on the apparent leader and eyed him cautiously. “Why don’t you fellas scram, eh? It’s not nice roughing up a lady.”

“Mr. Finch, I wouldn’t dream of hurting your lovely assistant. If you’d simply be reasonable. Put down the gun and let us talk this over. There is nothing to be gained from this but I assure you, I will have that book. Think it over.”

The man sat again and held his cane as before. Sam realized he had no other choice. He didn’t care about Jasper, but he didn’t want Min hurt. He placed the gun on the table and sat back down with slow caution.

gun.jpg

“I think you will find this a much better position. I abhor violence and wish none to suffer it.” The man offered as he smiled again.

“Yeah?” Sam tipped his chin, “Don’t sound that way to me the way you guys are going on over there.”

“Whatever do you mean, Mr. Finch? We have a perfectly acceptable society in Germany.”

“Tell that to your two goons over there. Roughed me up pretty swell today.” For effect, Sam rubbed his jaw.

“I am terribly sorry for your misfortune. I will speak to them later. They should not have touched you, Mr. Finch. It was my order. Now…the book…”

“In a pretty big hurry there, fella. And I don’t even know your name.”

The man lifted from his chair and held out a hand, “Hans Muller. It is entirely my fault for not introducing myself. Once again, my manners fail me. What can I say?”

Sam shook the hand and allowed the man to sit again shooting a quick glance towards Min and Jasper. “Like I said, Muller. I ain’t got this book you're after.”

“And as I said, Mr. Finch…I know you do. You left the building by the back stairs. My man here will attest to that. He told me you had the notebook…or rather, Mr. White here had it,” he turned and gestured to Jasper, “and they followed you here. So, let us not play games, sir. The book, if you please.”

“How do you know we got it here?” Sam played for as much time as he could.

Exasperated, Muller stood and placed his hands on his hips, “You were never so sly, Mr. Finch. It is in your desk drawer…likely with the drink you refused to offer me.”

Sam tried to think of another question to keep this game at play but the man near Min put his hands on her shoulders and squeezed enough to make Minnie wince. She tried to offer Sam a look that said to tell them nothing but he could not take seeing her in jeopardy.

“OK, Mr. Muller. Have the damn thing.” He opened the drawer and pulled out the notebook, dropping it on the desk with a thud. “What’s it worth to ya?”

“Quite a bit, Mr. Finch. Not enough to offer you anything but that remains your own fault. You had to pull your gun. Tsk, tsk, Mr. Finch. To the loser go no spoils.” Hans Muller gestured for his two men as he bent down to retrieve the notebook.

“Hold on just a minute there…Hans. Don’t I get nothin’ out of this? After all, I done the work to find it. And I got nothin’ but this shiner as thanks.”

Hans Muller turned as he was leaving the office, “You have done wonderful work Mr. Finch. Your reward is my undying thanks. Auf Wiedersehen, sir. And may our next meeting be under better circumstances.”

He limped from the room, Sam noticed. An old war wound perhaps? He had not noticed it when they first entered but it had happened so fast. His two thugs followed after but one was kind enough to offer a wink Sam’s way. He hoped if he ever met that guy again, it would be under better circumstances too. In Sam’s favor. He had a few things he wanted to tell him.

Jasper rushed to the door after they’d left and with anger turned to Sam, “Aren’t you going to do anything?”

“What the hell you want me to do, White? I already exhausted my bag of tricks. They won it this time, fair and square. But we know a little more and that’s on our side.”

“Sam,” Min offered as she moved to close the door. “How important was that book?”

“Dreadfully important!” Jasper tried to offer.

Sam paid him no mind, “Important enough to connect the thing with Nazis. I don’t know what this gal is playing with, but it’s pretty big.”

“You think the woman that came in here last night is mixed up with them?” Min moved to the bottom desk drawer and removed the scotch she knew Sam wanted.

“Gotta be, doll. Probably got in a fight over the thing and so she comes running to me to try and do her work for her. Looks like she lost today.”

We lost today, Finch. That was such a valuable piece…I cannot begin to tell you how much it would…”

“Save it, Inky. I got better things to focus on. Like, we still don’t know where the professor is. But I got an idea on that.”

Jasper turned his chin up and moved towards the door. “I hope it is better than your last idea. That certainly did us a world of good.”

“You think? Well…” he pulled a crumpled piece of paper from his coat pocket, “…my last idea was to see what was going down at this address. I think after that, I need to give our client a call and see what she has to say about all this.” He gladly accepted the offered glass of scotch Min handed him and walked to the window, looking out over the city streets.

Min poured herself a glass and watched him for a moment, taking a sip before asking, “Are you going to be OK boss?”

Sam turned and winked at her, “Of course, sweetheart.”

Last edited:
Quick work on the part of the Germans.

I have to say that Sam has the right idea here. They were obviously overpowered, and it is better to go by stealth thna to bluster on further as Jasper wants to do.

I have actually never read that book but have watched the movie many times. Just watched it the other week. And you'd be right about that. No woman that comes into a detective's office can be on the up and up. It's a rule, by God.

Two of my friends were taking a class on Crime Fiction this past semester and the book got passed around.