• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 9: Dar Al Harb

Immediately after declaring war Persia mobilized her reserves and began to move against the Ottomans. While ostensibly working in concert with allied Russia, the Republic’s forces sought to maneuver in order to minimize Russian territorial gains. Thus only one army was used to occupy the Levantine coast, pushing up through Amman, while the rest of the Republic’s armies were split between occupying northern Iraq, and advancing across northern Syria towards Adana, cutting Russia off from any possible advance south into the Levant. Subsequently both forces would turn north and attempt a vertical slice across Asia Minor, preventing any Russian land offensive towards the ultimate goal of the sultan’s throne at Istanbul. The Adana objective was reached in July 1907, and Greece, seeing the writing on the wall and wishing to finish liberating their territory from their former oppressors to the north, declaring war alongside the allies shortly thereafter. By September the cutoff was achieved with the fall of Kastamonu and Ankara, allowing the Republic to continue pushing the collapsing front west against the Ottomans, drawing inexorably closer to their capital.

Unfortunately, a minor complication would arise. Russia had made great strides against the Empire, but was beset by extensive Austrian and German invasions into its own western flank. Unable to cope with the superior forces thrown against him, the Czar surrendered on December 11, 1907, ceding border territories to Austria and giving Persia the happy difficulty of taking over formerly Russian-occupied Ottoman territory. Conscripts made short work of the already pacified areas, and with the ottoman fleet having already been presumably destroyed in battle with the Russians, Persia did not need a fleet of it’s own to finish the job. On March 2, 1908, after occupying all remaining Ottoman territory in Asia, and with its north African holdings taken by France, the endgame began as Persian troops entered Istanbul. Following almost two weeks of heavy fighting, the Ottoman capital was left to its fate on March 15, and was formally occupied one week later. With Persia continuing the push into the Balkans and Britian invading in support of Greece, the Sultan had no choice but to accept an unconditional ceasefire. While the initial treaty granted France most of Tripoli and Persia almost all of the Levant, the Empire’s final status would have to wait to be resolved until the end of the war.

Following the destruction of their main strategic rival, Persian operations shifted to another theater in which they could be directly useful to the allies: Africa. Already German colonial defense units had managed to occupy both Kenya and South Africa, and to this point Persian forces had been able to do little else other than defend the Kenyan coastline and chase German forces around the interior. With the shift in strategic focus bringing reinforcements, the tide began to turn. By January 1909 Persian forces had liberated Kenya and were pushing into German Tanzania. At the same time the Republic entered the European theater by invading the Adriatic coast in support of combined British/Italian efforts further north, and played a small role in forcing the Austrians to surrender on February 23rd, 1909, giving up the cities of Trieste, Trento, and Idrisko to Italy and Britain gaining Ljubljana, Maribor, and Postojna, which would later become the new nation of Slovenia. Meanwhile in July, Persian forces finished the job of ejecting the Germans from east Africa and had begun invading South Africa. The German occupying force was destroyed in the battle of Caledon, allowing the Republic to liberate the remaining territory of South Africa, which was organized into a commonwealth shortly thereafter on June 6th, 1910. Subsequently Persian forces went on to occupy German Angola, leaving 2 provinces in Gabon as the sole remains of the German Empire in Africa.

The war on the continent was not faring as well. Despite a magnificent initial advance the German army quickly bogged down in eastern France. With Allied and German armies locked in mortal combat and France and, to a much lesser extent Britain, hysterical at the prospect of a German breakout, Persia redoubled its diplomatic efforts to bring America into the war, aided by the German practice of unrestricted submarine warfare in allied waters, most famously resulting in the sinking of the RMS Mauretania on a return trip to Ireland from the US in January 1908, carrying over 150 American citizens. Already sympathetic to the Allies and especially Germany’s conduct on the high seas, and bolstered by the revelation of British intelligence’s interception of German diplomatic attempts to coerce Mexico into joining the central powers, President Theodore Roosevelt asked Congress for a declaration of war, and America entered World War I on July 11th, 1908. Initially American strategy consisted of joining with the British to take the shortest and most direct route to the capital: invade the German northern coast and push south straight towards Berlin while the bulk of Germany’s military was being thrown against the Western Front. Unfortunately the German military was still large enough to be able to pivot effectively, and using conscripts was able to slow any advance to the same grinding pace as in France. Finally, in mid 1911 a massive US/UK tank offensive aptly dubbed “Blood and Iron” succeeded in forcing a breakthrough, allowing allied forced to occupy Berlin and, on August 23rd, 1911, the Kaiser accepted an unconditional ceasefire.

The subsequent negotiations and treaties would forever alter the face of Europe, and indeed the world. Austria, unable to maintain it’s legitimacy in the face of such a defeat, was dissolved along national lines into a loose confederation, with the exception of Slovenia, which was created from territory won by the British. Poland was also reformed out of territory won by Britain, and along with the Baltic States was accepted by Russia as a protective barrier between itself and Germany, although this was partially in exchange for the return of lands lost in the initial capitulation to the Central Powers. The Ottoman Empire was partitioned off the map, with the Republic of Albania becoming a Persian satellite and the remaining Balkan territories being divided between Serbia, Greece, and Bulgaria, with Persia retaining only a small European toehold at Edirne as a shield for the city of Istanbul. The entirety of the Empire’s land on the Asian continent was turned over to Persia, as well as the northern Aegean islands off the coast of Turkey and the isle of Rhodes. The Empire’s territories in Tripoli were initially split between France and Persia, but subsequent to the Republic’s elimination of the Ottomans’ former ally Sanussiya in 1914 the remainder was given to Persia in order to form the Republic of Tripoli. Persia was also granted the British colony at Berbera as a reward for their role in protecting Britain African domains. Germany was made to suffer terribly, being forced to cede a significant proportion of its own territory to create the new Poland, as well as being stripped of all its overseas territories. The city of Flensburg was turned over to Denmark in order to join it to Danish Holstein in the south. It was a national trauma from which the nation would never quite fully recover psychologically…

Post-War Europe

Xroad13.jpg

Post-War Persia
Xroad14.jpg

-----------------------------------------

Ok, wow. Big entry, and doubtless there are some questions about the situation, which I will now attempt to address.

I did take the liberty of loading up my save as various other nations in order to model pre-WWI conditions as best I could, although my original timetable was more on par with the real world. However that situation in the balkans arose organically, so I decided to go with the flow and move things up a bit. Also limitations as far as gameplay prevent me from more accurately modeling the socio-economic aftereffects, though I tried to recreate a similar territorial situation as best I could. I basically did what I could to model a WWI-Like scenario without being able to load my save into the actual WWI scenario.

Only challenge now is making my capitalists stop wasting their money on their precious toys, so any help anyone can offer there would be appreciated :)

No help there, sorry. :( My capitalists never listen to me either. They keep thinking glass factories and wineries are supposed to be the basis of a modern heavy industry no matter what I do. I could try to give advices but I fear it would backfire rather than help.

But anyway, a wonderful update! World War One in one update eh, and Persia gains magnificently in this war, reaching an extent as far as the Achaemenid did in the West. Still, I'm not sure about Persia holding on to Istanbul. Greece must be fuming by now that it fails to retake "Constantinople" and were this to be the real world its diplomats must be working overtime trying to convince Whitehall that really, Constantinople (not Istanbul) is Greek!

Mind, Persia holding on to the crown jewel of the defunct Ottomans is one prestigious success, and it has the added benefit of controlling the Bosporus as well.

No help there, sorry. :( My capitalists never listen to me either. They keep thinking glass factories and wineries are supposed to be the basis of a modern heavy industry no matter what I do. I could try to give advices but I fear it would backfire rather than help.

I'm less concerned with new factories as much as infrastructure, which is woefully inadequate. ANY suggestions on how to get my capis building again would be appreciated.

Still, I'm not sure about Persia holding on to Istanbul. Greece must be fuming by now that it fails to retake "Constantinople" and were this to be the real world its diplomats must be working overtime trying to convince Whitehall that really, Constantinople (not Istanbul) is Greek!

Their pleas would probably be more effective had they not decided to remain neutral. As it stands the only reason they got back as much territory as they did is because Persia had no interest in a European foothold (as part of what killed the ottomans was dealing with balkan strife), and Britain had a soft spot for Greece.

Well, show me then! :)

Maybe later, if you're good :p