• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why does brabant get french culture, surely they should only have dutch

Presumably this is to represent Flemish & Walloon influence; Brabant roughly corresponds to modern-day Belgium, which is generally more French than Dutch.

A rather arrogant generalisation I realise, but I would suggest this is the reason behind it. :p

Presumably this is to represent Flemish & Walloon influence; Brabant roughly corresponds to modern-day Belgium, which is generally more French than Dutch.

A rather arrogant generalisation I realise, but I would suggest this is the reason behind it. :p

:D your talking suicide. I will pray for you.......flemish and wooloon agents are listening.
In modern times (current), Belgium is on the verge of splitting, as of last month the majority of interest was for dutch flanders to merge with the netherlands, and either french walloon will be Belgium or WILL France get bigger?

Back to our game... I see no benefit for Brabant to get french culture unless its for human play

Haha well I was trying to avoid the politics... honestly... ;)

As I say, a generalisation - it's sometimes difficult to model intrinsic cultural divides within the realm of EU2's often large & clunky provinces.

Nonetheless, Brabant shouldn't really be able to incorporate the Netherlands & parts of northern France without any cultural penalties, which presumably it would if it had the correct cultures.

Cores are a different matter of course, and I doubt Brabant receives any by event; speaking of which, check Brabant's event file for add/remove culture commands.

You can always suggest amendments if you wish. :)

Haha well I was trying to avoid the politics... honestly... ;)

As I say, a generalisation - it's sometimes difficult to model intrinsic cultural divides within the realm of EU2's often large & clunky provinces.

Nonetheless, Brabant shouldn't really be able to incorporate the Netherlands & parts of northern France without any cultural penalties, which presumably it would if it had the correct cultures.

Cores are a different matter of course, and I doubt Brabant receives any by event; speaking of which, check Brabant's event file for add/remove culture commands.

You can always suggest amendments if you wish. :)

I would suggest this, covers most points

1419 GC scenario and Brabant gets only dutch culture

then if human played, they choose option B below

#(1430) The Succession in Brabant
#modified by Jester to nullify RevoltRisk generated by HAU_182002
event = {
id = 3775
trigger = {
exists = BUR
}
random = no
country = HAU
name = "EVENTNAME3775" #The Succession in Brabant
desc = "EVENTHIST3775"
#-#The Duchy of Brabant had been under Burgundian influence for a while already in the decades leading up to 1430 with side branches of the Burgundian dynasty occupying the title of Duke but on the 1st of August, 1430 it formally passed to the control of Philip the Good of Burgundy further strengthening the Burgundian hold on the Netherlands and continuing Philip's moves towards unification of the Netherlands.

date = { day = 3 month = august year = 1430 }

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME3775A" #Let us be a part of Great Burgundy (End Game)
command = { type = trigger which = 3776 } #BUR: The Succession in Brabant
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME3775B" #Let us elect a local Count as Duke
command = { type = trigger which = 3778 } #BUR: The Succession in Brabant
command = { type = stability value = -3 }
command = { type = revolt which = -1 }
command = { type = add_countryculture which = french }
command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 379 value = -8 } #Artois
}
}

Indeed, I can see why that'd be a good idea.

If other HC members agree to the proposed changes (and as you say the AI will choose to be annexed by BUR 95% of the time) then I will 'flesh out' the sequence somewhat; nothing complex, I was thinking of proposing le grand bâtard as duke of Brabant in his own right, but of course allied with BUR whilst his father and then half-brother are duke.

This will help stop BRB being annexed fairly early on - particularly by an aggressive BUR. It shouldn't alter the balance of power too much as a smaller, weaker BUR allied with BRB is still significantly less powerful than BUR normally.

Also, from a historical point of view, there's no reason why Antoine wouldn't have been given an independent state by his father so long as he kept in line. I mean he was popular anyway, and acted as his father's chief ambassador to ENG (BUR's primary ally, so certainly an honour) as well as a notable military commander for the duchy.

Charles (the Bold) would be less likely to be given BRB as he was of course heir to BUR, which was far more important & prestigious.

Also, he wasn't born 'till 1433... ;)

I hadn't thought about this previously but as Toio opened the debate I thought it'd be cool. It's always good to add plausible history to the mod after all.

Finally, I recommend switching cultures with 3775_B (or any future similar event(s) - IMO an independent, Burgundian-ised BRB should have french as a primary culture, dutch secondary.

Succession in Brabant sequence

For now, yes. I have lots to finish before I expand it. ;)

Less work than I thought as it's only a basic sequence. :)

Code:
#modified by Jester [COLOR="Lime"]& mandead[/COLOR] to nullify RevoltRisk generated by HAU_182002
event = {
	id = 3775
	trigger = {
		exists = BUR
	}
	random = no
	country = HAU
	name = "EVENTNAME3775" #The Succession in Brabant
	desc = "EVENTHIST3775"

date = { day = 3 month = august year = 1430 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3775A" #Let us be a part of Great Burgundy (End Game)
		command = { type = trigger which = 3776 } #BUR: The Succession in Brabant
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3775B" #[COLOR="Yellow"]Offer the ducal crown to the Bastard of Burgundy[/COLOR]
		[COLOR="Lime"]command = { type = flagname which = "Valois" }[/COLOR]
		[COLOR="Lime"]command = { type = add_countryculture which = french }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = trigger which = 3778 } #BUR: The Succession in Brabant
		command = { type = stability value = -3 }
		command = { type = revolt which = -1 }
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 379 value = -8 } #Artois
	}
}

#-#The Duchy of Brabant had been under Burgundian influence for a while already in the decades leading up to 1430, with side branches of the Burgundian dynasty occupying the title of Duke but and on the 1st of August, 1430 it formally passed to the control of Philip the Good of Burgundy, further strengthening the Burgundian hold on the Netherlands and continuing Philip's moves towards their unification of the Netherlands. An alternative, however, would have been to offer the duchy to Philip's illegitimate son, Anthony, the Grand Bastard of Burgundy. This would ensure the duchy's independence through an illegitimate line of the Valois-Bourgogne dynasty, yet the Burgundian alliance would also safeguard the duchy against French aggression. Though only a boy at the time, Anthony would grow up to become a strong and respected warrior, as well as a powerful influence over and ally of his younger half-brother, Charles the Bold.

Code:
event = {
	id = 3778 #triggered by HAU_3775 B
	random = no
	country = BUR
	name = "EVENTNAME3776" #The Succession in Brabant
	desc = "EVENTHIST3776"

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME3778A" #[COLOR="Yellow"]Well, it's better than nothing...[/COLOR]
		command = { type = stability value = -1 }
		[COLOR="Lime"]command = { type = alliance which = HAU }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = relation which = HAU value = [COLOR="Yellow"]100[/COLOR] }
		[COLOR="Red"]command = { type = casusbelli which = HAU value = 120 }[/COLOR]
		[COLOR="Red"]command = { type = DIP which = -3 value = 36 }[/COLOR]
		[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]command = { type = addcore which = 378 } #Brabant
		command = { type = addcore which = 340 } #Zeeland
		command = { type = addcore which = 379 } #Artois
		command = { type = addcore which = 339 } #Holland[/COLOR]
		[COLOR="Lime"]command = { type = sleepleader which = 027307 } #Le Grand Bâtard (BUR)[/COLOR]
	}
}

Blue because I'm not sure in this instance whether to give BUR cores over HAU or not... I mean the duke of BUR's illegitimate son would be duke of HAU (and thus his vassal), but do we give cores in this instance? Remember, it's different to the original event whereby a CB is given, and the idea is to then take HAU by force...

The sleepleader command is simply so he doesn't exist for BUR and HAU at the same time, which would be possible if he becomes duke of Brabant.

#-#The Duchy of Brabant had been under Burgundian influence for a while already in the decades leading up to 1430, with side branches of the Burgundian dynasty occupying the title of Duke but and on the 1st of August, 1430 it formally passed to the control of Philip the Good of Burgundy, further strengthening the Burgundian hold on the Netherlands and continuing Philip's moves towards their unification of the Netherlands. An alternative, however, would have been to offer the duchy to Philip's illegitimate son, Anthony, the Grand Bastard of Burgundy. This would ensure the duchy's independence through an illegitimate line of the Valois-Bourgogne dynasty, yet the Burgundian alliance would also safeguard the duchy against French aggression. Though only a boy at the time, Anthony would grow up to become a strong and respected warrior, as well as a powerful influence over and ally of his younger half-brother, Charles the Bold.

flagburbrani0.png

shieldburbrajb4.png

smallshieldburbraqi2.png

shieldburbra2st1.png

smallshieldburbra2wv9.png

Code:
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057504 }
	startdate = {
		day = 4
		month = august
		year = 1430
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 17
		month = march
		year = 1504
	}
	name = "Anton II *"
	DIP = 6
	ADM = 5
	MIL = 8
	dormant = no
	remark = "The Bastard of Burgundy, eldest son of Philip the Good"
}
Code:
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057808 }
	category = monarch
	name = "Anton II"
	startdate = {
		year = 1451
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 29
		month = december
		year = 1476
	}
	rank = 0
	movement = 3
	fire = 4
	shock = 4
	siege = 1
	dormant = no
	remark = "The Bastard of Burgundy, also BUR_027307"
}

And for BUR...

Code:
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 027307 }
	category = general
	name = "Le Grand Bâtard"
	startdate =
	{
		year = [COLOR="Yellow"]1451[/COLOR]
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 29
		month = december
		year = 1476
	}
	rank = 1
	movement = 3
	fire = 4
	shock = 4
	siege = 1
	dormant = no
	[COLOR="Yellow"]remark = "The Bastard of Burgundy, also HAU_057808"[/COLOR]
}

I must point out that the day & month of his death is purely fictional - I could only find the year (1504), but having people die on January 1st always seems a bit 'gamey' to me. :)

Changed his startdate to 1451. I'm not overly sure why his deathdate is the last day of 1476, but I'll leave it as he was in his 50s by then anyway...

Finally, if this sequence is accepted, I thought it'd be cool to have the arms of the Burgundian dukes, found here. :)

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057502 }
	startdate = {
		day = 4
		month = august
		year = 1430
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 25
		month = may
		year = 1464
	}
	name = "Karel I *"
	DIP = 4
	ADM = 6
	MIL = 6
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057503 }
	startdate = {
		day = 25
		month = may
		year = 1464
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 25
		month = september
		year = 1491
	}
	name = "Jan V *"
	DIP = 6
	ADM = 6
	MIL = 5
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057504 }
	startdate = {
		day = 25
		month = september
		year = 1491
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 21
		month = november
		year = 1506
	}
	name = "Angelbert *"
	DIP = 7
	ADM = 5
	MIL = 6
	dormant = no
}[/COLOR]
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057505 }
	startdate = {
		[COLOR="Yellow"]day = 17
		month = march
		year = 1504[/COLOR]
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1521
	}
	name = "Karel I[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR] *"
	DIP = 5
	ADM = 5
	MIL = 5
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057506 }
	startdate = {
		year = 1521
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1561
	}
	name = "Frans I *"
	DIP = 6
	ADM = 6
	MIL = 5
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057507 }
	startdate = {
		year = 1561
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1562
	}
	name = "Frans II *"
	DIP = 4
	ADM = 3
	MIL = 4
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057508 }
	startdate = {
		year = 1562
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 4
		month = march
		year = 1565
	}
	name = "Henriette *"
	DIP = 6
	ADM = 7
	MIL = 5
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057509 }
	startdate = {
		day = 4
		month = march
		year = 1565
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 23

month = october
		year = 1595
	}
	name = "Lodewijk *"
	DIP = 7
	ADM = 4
	MIL = 5
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057510 }
	startdate = {
		day = 23
		month = october
		year = 1595
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 21
		month = september
		year = 1637
	}
	name = "Karel II[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR] *"
	DIP = 3
	ADM = 3
	MIL = 4
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057511 }
	startdate = {
		day = 21
		month = september
		year = 1637
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 14
		month = august
		year = 1665
	}
	name = "Karel [COLOR="Yellow"]III[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]V[/COLOR] *"
	DIP = 5
	ADM = 5
	MIL = 4
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057512 }
	startdate = {
		day = 14
		month = august
		year = 1665
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 5
		month = july
		year = 1708
	}
	name = "Karel [COLOR="Yellow"]I[/COLOR]V *"
	DIP = 2
	ADM = 2
	MIL = 3
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057513 }
	startdate = {
		day = 5
		month = july
		year = 1708
	}
	deathdate = {
		day = 27
		month = october
		year = 1743
	}
	name = "Jan V[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR] *"
	DIP = 6
	ADM = 5
	MIL = 4
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057514 }
	startdate = {
		day = 27
		month = october
		year = 1743
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1778
	}
	name = "Filips II *"
	DIP = 4
	ADM = 4
	MIL = 5
	dormant = no
}
historicalmonarch = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 057515 }
	startdate = {
		year = 1778
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1820
	}
	name = "Eleonoor *"
	DIP = 5
	ADM = 5
	MIL = 3
	dormant = no
}

EDIT: This to be used as flag/CoA until Yoda or someone else can sharpen it up a bit. Retained BUR's cores on HAU (in blue) so as to try and avoid HAU existing too late into the game. BUR & HAU should remain allies for the duration of Anton II's lifetime, but eventually will conquer/absorb her anyway. This seems the sensible choice, IMO, so I have chosen to keep the cores as it will both (A) slowly deteriorate relations, and (B) entice BUR to declare war on HAU when they're not allied.

Last edited:
Finally, if this sequence is accepted, I thought it'd be cool to have the arms of the Burgundian dukes, found here.
Will it be the "Valois" set?

I can't open svg files. Could you please edit the link and update it with the URL of the page containing the picture?

Regarding the "Dutch Seizure of Taiwan" event:

This one is unecessary and should go. What it the point of having this as an event? The game engine is perfectly capable of handling conquest of colonies. Just include Taiwan in the areas a Dutch AI has an interest in colonising or conquering.

Regarding the "Dutch Seizure of Taiwan" event:

This one is unecessary and should go. What it the point of having this as an event? The game engine is perfectly capable of handling conquest of colonies. Just include Taiwan in the areas a Dutch AI has an interest in colonising or conquering.

That's not true at all. I've actually spent a lot of time trying to re-work the Dutch AI to be active in the Far East/Indonesia and all I have to show is a list of hours spent and non-optimal lists of explorers, AIs, and events.

Apologies, Philippe.

This page, last CoA on the right.
Fine but such quartered CoAs are the most difficult to make for a good rendering in vanilla and EGUFSM shape. Please ask for help in the GRT.

is post 984 ok ?